Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I'm having a buzzing issue with the Fosi X2 preamp I just picked up. I get a loud buzz anytime the preamp is hooked up to the turntable. When I try to google how to troubleshoot this all of the articles seem to be written for professional electricians. I live in an old house with lovely power but I figure if power was the issue then it would have presented before the preamp was installed.

Equipment:
Fluance RT81
Old Pioneer SXS525
Fosi X2 Preamp
Some lovely RCA cables I bought from the hardware store

Previous configuration (no buzz): turntable connected to phono input on receiver via rca + a ground wire between turntable and receiver.

New configuration (loud buzz): turntable connected to preamp via rca + ground wire between turntable and preamp. Preamp connected to receiver via rca.

My biggest lead is that if I touch the outside, plastic part of the RCA cable between the turntable and the preamp, and also something grounded like the chassis of the receiver, the buzzing lessens substantially. Removing the ground cable doesn't really seem to do anything at all.

Is it the cables picking up some kind of interference?

edit: I found some different rca cables laying around that I subbed in for the ones between the turntable and preamp. It was lovely cables!

mega dy fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

Disc based system in the early 80s that was worse than laserdisc but slightly better than VHS. Got abandoned pretty quickly.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Now that I've discovered this thread, I may as well post my hardware.

I originally inherited a bunch of 90s stuff when my dad passed away a few years ago. Receiver was a Kenwood KA-5020 and the turntable was a Technics SL-BD22.

I got some cheap Pioneer speakers from Goodwill, then some other cheap Pioneer speakers off of Craigslist, and they served me well enough. The latter are CS-G203s and I like the look but I've been told that Pioneer has never made a good speaker.

At some point I found a beautiful Pioneer SX-680 receiver at my local Half-Price Books for $200 and grabbed it. It sounds amazing.

I picked up some Advent speakers as well:

So that's where I'm at right now. I think it all sounds great and eventually I might pick up something higher-wattage or a turntable that can take a better stylus but I'm happy with what I have at the moment.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Technology Connections has a great five-part(!) series on the format.

Here's the first part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnpX8d8zRIA

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here, BTW, Verizon decided to allow me to upload for a bit

The price tag on this is $50.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Old radios are cool. Does it work?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Old radios are cool. Does it work?

I'll try it out.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

petit choux posted:

instant buy

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Absolutely

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Where is the line between this thread and ridicule audiophiles? I never know which one to post in.

People in this thread buy garbage (no offense but it's literally people's garbage usually) and people in the other thread buy snakeoil.

This weekend I got a new receiver (x3700h from A4L) I played around with the setup and did room correction on both sets of my speakers and saved profiles for them both.

Heres the before if anyone is interested how Kef R300 vs Dynaudio Focus 160 measure in the same room.

Then I listened to some tunes. Original 1972 pressing of Eat A Peach

VinylMePlease remaster of Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Vinyl is worse quality than lossless digital so anyone who listens to vinyl can’t be an audiophile

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

an iksar marauder posted:

Vinyl is worse quality than lossless digital so anyone who listens to vinyl can’t be an audiophile

I’d say most people in this thread is on the same page with that. I’m half deaf from going to too many concerts so I can’t tell the difference. Records are more fun to play and ancient gear is more fun to use and look at and tinker with.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Yeah I dunno about that man. I surely consider myself on the spectrum as far as audiophiles go. Have a decent vinyl setup and collection and really enjoy it, but I do most of my listening as digital streaming (not even in high res!, 320kbit mp3!!)

End of the day it shouldn't matter what format you listen to, or how much money you spend on speakers or equipment. It should be about enjoying the music coming out of your speakers.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

BigFactory posted:

I’d say most people in this thread is on the same page with that. I’m half deaf from going to too many concerts so I can’t tell the difference. Records are more fun to play and ancient gear is more fun to use and look at and tinker with.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I was being facetious but yeah pretty much, physical media is fun and old gear is easy (and cheap) enough to at least try and fix up when you’re not great with electronics

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm definitely not into this for the sound quality. I have a CD player and a spotify subscription for that.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I was being facetious but yeah pretty much, physical media is fun and old gear is easy (and cheap) enough to at least try and fix up when you’re not great with electronics

When I started collecting I was still thinking a lot of this old vinyl is never going to get digitized and what I had was kind of precious. Then the internet exploded and most of the obscure records I have can be found on youtube. I never thought the internet would grow so fast.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

re: that piece, Well y'all can PM me if you want me to pick it up for you, otherwise I'm mostly after stereo stuff.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

BigFactory posted:

Yeah this. It’s kinda like coffee. I have two espresso machines:

The one on the left is a La Pavoni Europiccola lever machine from like the 70s. The one on the right is a contemporary Izzo that’s a couple years old. The Europiccola makes objectively worse coffee, but has an incredible sounding whistle on the boiler and the human-actuated press is so satisfying to use, and the electronics are literally just a boiler inside with no PID or computer or anything, about as complex as a kettle. I love it. It’s functional sculpture, and I get satisfaction from it as a design object the same way I do a bank of tubes in an amp.

I think the difference in this thread from the audiophiles thread is that nobody is pretending, there’s just more to appreciate in the aesthetic or the tactile nature of vinyl or the appreciation for simple or historic technology beyond ‘only’ the sound.

[Edit] also it’s often cheaper

ephori fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 19, 2022

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I just want to know where I can talk about regular stereo speakers and modern equipment without getting poo poo on by someone because I don't fit within their venn diagram of what they consider to be an ok way of listening to music.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Brain Issues posted:

I just want to know where I can talk about regular stereo speakers and modern equipment without getting poo poo on by someone because I don't fit within their venn diagram of what they consider to be an ok way of listening to music.

I feel like this thread is pretty positive generally.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Brain Issues posted:

My systems are mixed up enough that anyone THAT PASSIONATE about a particular genre of gear would be offended.

What I’m saying is :justpost:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ephori posted:

I feel like this thread is pretty positive generally.

I’d agree. I love seeing old stuff, modern stuff, whatever. Modern powered speakers hooked up to a laptop don’t do it for me the way a stack of Luxman gear does, but it’s all good

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

What’s the big to-do about Luxman gear? I’ve seen and felt it in person and none of it looked or felt particularly special to me. Felt on-par with its contemporary Onkyo/Rotel/NAD brethren and didn’t seem to do a better job functionally either. Didn’t seem bad, I just don’t get the obsession with it the way I do other cohorts of equipment.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Luxman pre-Alpine buy-out (mid eighties?) is very well regarded. The suckface stuff is also very unique, but it's really their earlier gear that had the great reputation.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

What’s the big to-do about Luxman gear? I’ve seen and felt it in person and none of it looked or felt particularly special to me. Felt on-par with its contemporary Onkyo/Rotel/NAD brethren and didn’t seem to do a better job functionally either. Didn’t seem bad, I just don’t get the obsession with it the way I do other cohorts of equipment.

Their old stuff was high quality and classic, they were bought by alpine in the 80’s and all their stuff was pretty standard mid quality for the time, similar to contemporary NAD, Rotel, etc… then at some time in the 2000’s they went seriously up market, think Accuphase/Krell. Basically a cool old name and the current stuff is high quality and very expensive but there’s zero shared DNA with the affordable used stuff.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Brain Issues posted:

Trust only your fists

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Enos Cabell posted:

A composite to HDMI converter should work https://www.amazon.com/s?k=composite+to+hdmi+converter.

I've got a stack of old laserdiscs but haven't had a working player in probably 20 years. I do have a working RCA Selectavision player hooked up to my garage tv with several boxes full of CEDs though.

This came in yesterday and seems to work great. I have a choice to upscale to either 720 or 1080. 720 looks better - I think 1080 is just trying to go too far from the source resolution.

That being said, to quote my wife, "it looks like poo poo!" I think we're just so spoiled by modern high-def features that going back to 480 is difficult other than for novelty purposes. On the plus side, after messing with some of the brightness and color settings on my TV it doesn't look bad at all. Watched most of Star Wars last night, pre-Special Edition Star Wars, and several of the changes I had honestly forgotten about. It was pretty awesome.

My question is: right now I'm going straight from the LD player to the adapter with a video composite cable. If I use S-video would there be any improvement? I don't know what use S-video was and if it passes a better signal than a standard video cable, and I don't have one handy (at least I can't find one in my random bin of cables) to test.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

S-Video should be a significant improvement, IIRC it separates R G and B vs compositing them into one stream.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

S-video only breaks out one of the signals from composite IIRC. It’s definitely better then composite but not as good as component or RGB.

I have to ask: does the LD player not have component out?
I have a rip of the original trilogy laserdisc somewhere in 1080 that looks really good. Han shoots first and everything. My brother showed it in his inaugural movie night of his new home theater room and it looked crazy good (in pictures, I wasn’t there)

Well crap… I’m sorry for spreading misinformation. Thanks posters below for correcting

namlosh fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 20, 2022

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yes, S-Video is an improvement over straight composite. The channels in the video are split up better and you get a cleaner picture with better light levels. It's still low res but it's definitely an improvement

E: I stand corrected. I didn't know Laserdisc didn't have S-video encoded directly on the disc, so it goes through some processing in the player. Definitely go with what the poster below me posted. I was going off what I knew of other formats that do S-Video properly

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 20, 2022

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

namlosh posted:

S-video only breaks out one of the signals from composite IIRC. It’s definitely better then composite but not as good as component or RGB.

I have to ask: does the LD player not have component out?
I have a rip of the original trilogy laserdisc somewhere in 1080 that looks really good. Han shoots first and everything. My brother showed it in his inaugural movie night of his new home theater room and it looked crazy good (in pictures, I wasn’t there)

Component isn't really possible with LD due to how it is made. LD is recorded in composite format so you would have to add an entire extra electronic section to take the composite filtered to S-Video and then decode and mix the chroma signals to form the component output. It is one of the reasons why upconverters are around actually.

Really even S-Video isn't great out of 95% of LD players. You are better off with standard composite signal out and then let your television, which old CRTs were great at or a good upconverter especially on a modern screen to do the filtering and whatnot.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Laserdisc is a composite video format. If you use s-video, you're basically just trusting that the comb filter in the player itself is better than the one in your HDMI converter. Lots of people in the LD community will say that s-video is worthless these days since comb filters in modern electronics have surpassed the ones from the 90s. It's possible you'll see a difference but don't hold your breath. Personally I don't bother and just use composite.

And there don't even exist LD players with component because that would be silly.

e:f;b

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That's fascinating to me.

I bought this adapter/upconverter but I'm assuming a ten dollar thing I bought off of Amazon isn't going to be the best. It's probably 'good enough' for now but I might start looking into what a real upconverter would cost and how it would work.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the one true Return of the Jedi.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I spent my first paycheck from Best Buy in the mid 90s on a clearance SVHS player and this box set with my employee discount. Still glad that I made that very dumb decision.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CornHolio posted:

That's fascinating to me.

I bought this adapter/upconverter but I'm assuming a ten dollar thing I bought off of Amazon isn't going to be the best. It's probably 'good enough' for now but I might start looking into what a real upconverter would cost and how it would work.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the one true Return of the Jedi.

The ten dollar composite-to-hdmi boards aren't bad at all. I use one for digitizing VHS because it looks better than my old composite capture device. They're basically the same chip that gets put into modern TVs that have composite-in, I believe. You should see a decent upgrade from the RF you're using currently. Though if it's like mine, you'll have to tell your TV to un-stretch the video.

Honestly expensive upscalers will quickly reach the point of diminishing returns when you're dealing with soft video over composite. Some of them will deinterlace better, help with colors/contrast, or have different filters that will look better/worse. They're much more useful for old video games which have straight lines and pixel edges.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

wa27 posted:

The ten dollar composite-to-hdmi boards aren't bad at all. I use one for digitizing VHS because it looks better than my old composite capture device. They're basically the same chip that gets put into modern TVs that have composite-in, I believe. You should see a decent upgrade from the RF you're using currently. Though if it's like mine, you'll have to tell your TV to un-stretch the video.

Honestly expensive upscalers will quickly reach the point of diminishing returns when you're dealing with soft video over composite. Some of them will deinterlace better, help with colors/contrast, or have different filters that will look better/worse. They're much more useful for old video games which have straight lines and pixel edges.

Depends on the scaler. There is a lot of stuff, especially older ones, that are designed for dealing with soft video. They aren't popular with retrogames because they have significant latency. There has been a lot of interest and effort into making scalers for retrogames in the last few years so they have been focused on the needs for those devices where prior ones were designed mainly for video. There are still very high end scalers mainly for archival work being made but they are out of the price range for the average person.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I’ve got a turntable where one of the headshell wires is loose and it slides off half the time when it returns. I can’t crimp it enough to make it stay on for whatever reason. I obviously don’t want to solder it on but is there something I could do to get it to bite better? Sand the terminal a little or put something tacky on there? I’ve used alcohol to remove any oil that might have been on there.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Wrap the peg in a layer or two of foil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I have an (Orbit) turntable with built-in preamp that works fine. I'm now connecting it to my new receiver and when I put it in the Phono inputs I get a horrible buzzing (with preamp on or off). I note the receiver has a ground terminal by the phono inputs. The turntable has no ground connection on it. When I plug the turntable into the generic RCA audio inputs instead, everything sounds great. Should I just leave it like that?