Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Only 59 people getting the word "height" is pretty bad too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Out of 100 people (doing the paid online survey pointless problem gets their questions from, and has a minority of people rushing as fast as possible to get their pennies)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Isn't there also a known contingent of people who for any set of questions will answer all or most with deliberately silly responses for their own amusement.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Tesseraction posted:

Isn't there also a known contingent of people who for any set of questions will answer all or most with deliberately silly responses for their own amusement.

In answer to your question, Bums lol

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Nilbop posted:

I've literally said aloud "I'm glad I emigrated" four times this week and it's only Thursday.

Like, it doesn't loving matter if it's a skilled or unskilled job - gently caress it if it's a doctor or someone on the till at Tesco's - literally all this is doing is stealing the dignity and powers from the plebs so we can do as we please. Because we can, and gently caress you.

I wonder where they're gonna get all these 'agency workers' from.

Anyone with the training and skills would already be doing the job.
Foreign workers are difficult to hire even if you want to and it's politically inconvenient to start poaching professionals from abroad unless they're planning to use Ukrainians.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Foreign workers are difficult to hire even if you want to and it's politically inconvenient to start poaching professionals from abroad unless they're planning to use Ukrainians.

this will make sense once the 'unemployed must do free agency work or be perma-sanctioned' bill gets signed

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sending 17 year old Billy straight from the DWP to the train cockpit.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

Isn't unemployment very low at the moment too? Are there legions of agency staff waiting to leap into action as train drivers?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Unemployment is low because all the agency worker train drivers are gainfully employed via contracts to do as many hours train driving as they are qualified to do. 0.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Barry Foster posted:

That's encouraging

numbers are for woke snowflake sheeple

Lived in a flat share with dodgy electrics in my 20s with 7 other people. At one point, there were so many adaptors trailing off one socket in the living room that if all the appliances had been put on at once (not unlikely) there could easily be a fire especially with the leaky bottled gas heater in the room. I pleaded that they connect no more than 3kW to one wall outlet (so a kettle OR an iron OR a heater plus one other thing eg tv). I was accused of being "a snob with my watts".

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

haha we're gonna go to war hahahahaha

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Redeploy vets as doctors, it's all basically the same under the skin, probably.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

Its a train! It must have one lever, one to make it go forward, one to make it go back.
- Every Alf Garnett Gammon on earth.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Fsr the number I have in my head is a consistent 6%.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Must have been the Billy that made me misread that as DUP.

Second train this week that's tried driving down the Falls Road, sparks flying from its wheels, sectarian abuse coming from the driver's cab.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Out of 100 people (doing the paid online survey pointless problem gets their questions from, and has a minority of people rushing as fast as possible to get their pennies)
Until I read this post my incredibly powerful brain somehow never realised all these surveys would be done online. I always imagined that in amongst all the high street charity muggers there were a couple of eager interns waving down shopping–laden pedestrians and asking them to please name as many flightless birds as they could think of or any countries beginning with 'E'.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Guavanaut posted:

Must have been the Billy that made me misread that as DUP.

Second train this week that's tried driving down the Falls Road, sparks flying from its wheels, sectarian abuse coming from the driver's cab.

An excuse for me to repost this gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqi6T2ZqL9Q

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lizz truss is going to fire trident at red square.

And finally get Brexit done.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
the only dancing we had to do in school was square dancing

which I think is just getting kids to play Simon says from a record

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Convex posted:

this will make sense once the 'unemployed must do free agency work or be perma-sanctioned' bill gets signed

It’s this. I’m convinced of it. And the next step will be ‘striking is legally indistinguishable from resigning’ meaning that striking workers will lose their NI contributions, be classified as legally unemployed, and then face sanctions because they were unemployed but didn’t immediately redeploy to temp agencies.

I remember that the companies that provide agency workers were against this move. What happens when governments and/or companies with striking workers can’t find agencies to fill the gaps because the agencies have no one to give?

It’s obvious of course. There’ll be a rise of agencies run by someone called Cockham Shitebag-Torycunt who’ll provide bodies on zero hour contracts for less than minimum wage and the poor fucks on the sharp end will kill people.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Labour membership reported as 415,000 with around 33k in arrears, down from 570,000 two years ago.

Probably all fine and good and not at all a problem financially or logistically.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 21, 2022

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

sebzilla posted:

Labour membership reported as 415,000 with around 33k in arrears, down from 570,000 two years ago.

Probably all fine and good and not at all a problem financially or logistically.

I wonder how many of those are people who have left but they still refuse to remove from their loving mailing lists

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I loving hate the PLP.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I wonder how many of those are people who have left but they still refuse to remove from their loving mailing lists

You count as a member for 6 months after you've stopped paying iirc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
More like the Parliamentary Official Opposition Party (it spells poop, you see)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

serious gaylord posted:

You count as a member for 6 months after you've stopped paying iirc.

I know someone who pays annually.

After paying for a year last August, she cancelled her annual DD in September 2021. But as she didn't contact membership to say she had quit, and as her last payment covered up until this August, the first LP will know about it is when the DD they go to take this year will fail and she will be 'in arrears' until finally coming off the books in Feb 2023.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62259179

quote:

MI6 chief Richard Moore said Russia had seen "epic fails" in its initial goals; removing Ukraine's president, capturing Kyiv and sowing disunity in the West.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jeherrin posted:

I remember that the companies that provide agency workers were against this move. What happens when governments and/or companies with striking workers can’t find agencies to fill the gaps because the agencies have no one to give?

Nothing will happen.
The Tories are just saying "Look, we're doing a thing. We're doing it because people are striking."

Then, when there's a strike and there aren't the skilled workers to fill the roles, Kwarteng (or whoever) will walk out and say "We did a thing. We did it because people are striking" and then walk away, and the BBC article written by a Political Editor who definitely wasn't a member of the Young Tories two decades ago, will read "The Government said that they had introduced legislation to make it legal for agencies to recruit staff to work these jobs during a strike. It's unclear why the agencies aren't doing this."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1550153228028985351

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Jeherrin posted:

It’s this. I’m convinced of it. And the next step will be ‘striking is legally indistinguishable from resigning’ meaning that striking workers will lose their NI contributions, be classified as legally unemployed, and then face sanctions because they were unemployed but didn’t immediately redeploy to temp agencies.

It’s obvious of course. There’ll be a rise of agencies run by someone called Cockham Shitebag-Torycunt who’ll provide bodies on zero hour contracts for less than minimum wage and the poor fucks on the sharp end will kill people.

Or just dock their pay like QMUL have...
https://twitter.com/lyndang/status/1550118338613092352

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

The only response is the immortal Glaswegian one: “morning driver, single tae anywhere nae oan planet earth, ta!”

gently caress this timeline.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

I know someone working there (not in academics, but working with it) who literally heard nothing of this till they saw the tweet??

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

hahaahahahahah

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Britain continues to look at America and say "hold my beer"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Private Speech posted:

Just saw an article titled "Mario Draghi resigns, plunging Italy into political turmoil" and all I could think was where are the articles about Britain plunging into political turmoil.

He didn't even have any major scandals or anything, either.

they did a cash4ash thing with renovations, 110% of total renovation cost deducted from your taxes

this is obviously a very stupid way of doing things since it benefits you the more money you have on hand and gives nothing to low income or renter households, but as soon as it was clear there's no upper limit or checks that the renovations were necessary for the efficiency deduction you're claiming, they lost the entire thirty billion euros in eighteen months. Draghi apparently chose to nuke the government the second there was any disagreement about what to do next

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ah, naked corruption.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I was curious about this new trade union legislation and how it affects Wales, because as far as I was aware this sort of thing would be devolved, and, well…

quote:

Striking workers in Wales will also be affected by the new law, despite the Senedd passing the Trade Union Wales Act which prohibited using temporary workers to cover industrial action, in 2017.

So just another example of the way the country is ‘supposed’ to work totally falling apart then. Lovely stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Going to renovate the same room extremely aggressively for a week and bill the government twenty million pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Spangly A posted:

they did a cash4ash thing with renovations, 110% of total renovation cost deducted from your taxes

this is obviously a very stupid way of doing things since it benefits you the more money you have on hand and gives nothing to low income or renter households, but as soon as it was clear there's no upper limit or checks that the renovations were necessary for the efficiency deduction you're claiming, they lost the entire thirty billion euros in eighteen months. Draghi apparently chose to nuke the government the second there was any disagreement about what to do next

LMBO I haven't heard about that, that's pretty great.

Given the mafia ties to the construction industry probably working as designed too.