Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Your mistake is assuming any villain that isn't a random monster is actually evil and not just a fun pal who sometimes does mass murder, torture and genocide

that 4th point also applies to how often people in this thread complain about the series doing the 4th point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TRAILS SERIES: incest is fine if its your stepsister
goons: no... this isnt true! this isnt like you, trails series!
TRAILS SERIES: everything ive done has been to make the point the big fire from giant robo needed 500 episodes of screentime and to hang out with the main characters and shoot the poo poo, even when it made no sense
goons: we believe you can change. come back to us, trails series. we know this isnt the real you
TRAILS SERIES: have you read muv-luv alternative. heres a lesbian groping gag.
goons: Trails Series!!!! we're gonna drag you back, kicking and screaming!

*screen crack effect, step ahead.mp3*

goons: there, trails series... cant you see we need you?
TRAILS SERIES: im sorry... even back then, i was always thinking... about shonen powerscaling...

and then the trails series stands up and portals out of the scene because you didnt actually beat them

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Personally I just think murder is cool.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

TRAILS SERIES: everything ive done has been to make the point the big fire from giant robo needed 500 episodes of screentime and to hang out with the main characters and shoot the poo poo, even when it made no sense
goons: we believe you can change. come back to us, trails series. we know this isnt the real you

TRAILS SERIES: im sorry... even back then, i was always thinking... about shonen powerscaling...

and then the trails series stands up and portals out of the scene because you didnt actually beat them

I've been systematically attacked. Bury me with my lovely posts.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Endorph posted:

The Flash in the "The Flash" TV series married and had a daughter with his adoptive sister. Trails wasn't the first!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

...! posted:

The Flash in the "The Flash" TV series married and had a daughter with his adoptive sister. Trails wasn't the first!

didn't he do that irl

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
A couple questions about CS 4. I'm now in the Finale chapter. I remember than in CS 2, new weapons appeared at the start of the Finale chapter... but then again at the start of the final dungeon of that chapter.

1) Will new weapons appear at the start of the final dungeon?

2) Is the Earth Talisman sold in a store somewhere, or is it a special drop, like from a quest?

3) Where's the most likely place to catch an Azelfish? I'm very low on Hearty Powder. I know of some places in Crossbell - the East highway, the Harbor, and Ursula Road, but I don't know which has the best odds.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 16, 2022

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Saying nothing about the specific case that brought up the whole "different moral code" thing---
---sometimes the cast is right. Looking at, say, the Capua gang, Alan Richard, Joshua, Renne...

...Everyone gets angry about the lack of punishment in these games, which I find to be, frankly, more than a little gross. It's true, some people offered a hand of mercy seem more reformed than others. Some seem more initially justified in their actions than others. And yes, just as frequently as the heroes are right, they're also painfully naive. I'm not sure there's any saving, say, Walter or Shirley, who even McBurn seems to think are psychopaths. The Shirley scenes in CS4 are my least favorite. Nonetheless, this is my escapist fantasy, and frankly, I'd rather have one that envisions a world that forgives. That has learned how to forgive long, long ago.

(EDIT
Oh yeah, I'll also add that Weissman got what was coming. gently caress Weissman. And also the D∴G cult sect that Ouroboros exterminated.)

Is there a single character in the series that's sentenced to a lifetime of imprisonment in a dank cell? The few times we've seen a Zemurian prison, what's the longest we know someone has been in one?

I also want to disagree with what you said about Cedric. on your third point.

I do think he feels conflicted about his decision to kill Olivert--he just doesn't think it was wrong to do so. And at the point he expresses relief, he'd still have made the exact same decision. The two ideas aren't mutually exclusive. He didn't want Olivert to be killed, he just believed Olivert had to be killed. If Alberich or Georg or someone had some kind of hypothetical science fiction weapon that would have just locked the Courageous into some kind of temporal stasis or warp them to the other side of the continent or whatever, I'm pretty sure Cedric would have advocated to use that one. To put it another way, I believe that he feels regret, but not contrition.

And taken with what I said above about forgiveness, I can understand if this reads as me trying to absolve Cedric---For the record, I am not. He's still clearly a villain behaving evilly and selfishly. But he can be evil and selfish and still be relieved in the apparent miracle. And why not? The bomb did what it had to do. If Olivert just so happened to live, as far as Cedric's concerned, that's winning twice. I'm actually kind of pleased that Cedric acted exactly this way, and not taking it a step farther--a less self-aware person could conceivably believe this washes the blood off his hands. If nothing else, Cedric does not appear to hold that particular delusion.

Onto more mechanical questions:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

A couple questions about CS 4. I'm now in the Finale chapter. I remember than in CS 2, new weapons appeared at the start of the Finale chapter... but then again at the start of the final dungeon of that chapter.

1) Will new weapons appear at the start of the final dungeon?

2) Is the Earth Talisman sold in a store somewhere, or is it a special drop, like from a quest?

3) Where's the most likely place to catch an Azelfish? I'm very low on Hearty Powder. I know of some places in Crossbell - the East highway, the Harbor, and Ursula Road, but I don't know which has the best odds.

1)September 1st should be the last day where shops update. I'm not sure where synthesis weapons are gated. I'm pretty sure they're gated to whenever you can buy whoever's last shop weapon.

2)It's a quest reward for a quest that's in the Finale chapter

3)Azelfish are found in the Crossbell region. So Crossbell Harbour, East Crossbell Highway (2??), and Ursula Road (...also 2?)

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 16, 2022

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Sky 3rd: this game is very... Unique, so far. I know I need to wait until I encounter a non-Moon door to judge, but this feels like it has some VN DNA so far after the initial "you beat a boss! Now have 20 minutes of epilogue... To be continued!!!" and I'm now curious to see if the dungeon is also going to evolve, or if this is going to be "moments of optional story to hunt down in a branching dungeon". And I am only presuming on the branch thing since I've been told later doors are optional.

It kinda feels like Persona 3 in some ways with the progression through a larger structure while I also just have 2.5 rooms worth of shops divorced from them. Not claiming it's a direct influence, just one of the closer comparisons I can make.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I have no idea why they made your first door that one because it is an absolutely terrible introduction to the doors. It's the only one divided into two-parts, it's one of the longest doors in the game and has no kind of saving or gameplay, and it takes place shortly after the (very long, story heavy) prologue.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Veryslightlymad posted:

1)September 1st should be the last day where shops update. I'm not sure where synthesis weapons are gated. I'm pretty sure they're gated to whenever you can buy whoever's last shop weapon.

2)It's a quest reward for a quest that's in the Finale chapter

3)Azelfish are found in the Crossbell region. So Crossbell Harbour, East Crossbell Highway (2??), and Ursula Road (...also 2?)

1) I'll probably hold off just to be sure, then, since I've already explored the new dungeon and defeated the Cryptid for the final Lost Art. It wasn't even all that hard. Especially since it took 200% damage from Space and I had Alisa in the party. :getin:

2) I figured it would be along those lines, I'm doing the tour first before questing. I just didn't want to check every store.

3) After some testing, I think Ursula Road 1 has the best chance. But now I also have to get Red Perch to trade for Globby Fat. I think I know where to find those at least. Or maybe I'll put some of those +Item Drop things to use, although the last time I tried fighting to get drops, it didn't feel very efficient.

Veryslightlymad posted:

...Everyone gets angry about the lack of punishment in these games, which I find to be, frankly, more than a little gross.

Hey, people said that they wanted to hear some of my dumb, broke-brain hot takes, so that’s what they get. I never promised that people would agree with them. My full response to that is pretty long, so I sent it in a PM instead of posting it here to get poo poo upon. The short version is:

Trails is a series which tries to emphasize that NPC's are people too, with lives and hopes and dreams. That’s a core tenet of the series, it's what so much effort spent on world-building focuses on. The thing which I find “gross” is when the writing suddenly sweeps many of the inconvenient dead bodies and pretends like they weren't real people with lives and hopes and dreams, so it's okay that no one faces any notable negative consequences for killing them. That goes against what most of the series tries to show.

CS 4 - Act 3, Day 1, morning
So, the explanation for (CS 4, Act 2 end) Olivert not being dead... kinda works, I guess. Building the new ship in an isolated base in a foreign nation could work. (See the Glorious). It stretches credibility that Cassius Bright knew nothing about it at all, but perhaps Queen Alicia II told him that it was an experimental craft being worked on by ZCF, which would not be a lie.

One of the biggest mysteries with that event in the finale was that it seemed like everyone who could have possibly intervened had already been accounted for… but it is true that Bleublanc was conspicuously absent from CS 3. That was clearly on purpose to disguise that if he had been seen at any point, people would have wondered why he was missing in the finale. Of course he had a motive to intervene because that would not have been a beautiful death. I also had not anticipated the very one who planted the bombs also put in some kind of protection bubble.

It is still fairly cheap to pull the old not dead after all schtick. This is what, the second? Third? Fourth or more? time in this series alone. And that's only counting apparent on-screen deaths.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 16, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

One of the biggest mysteries with that event in the finale was that it seemed like everyone who could have possibly intervened had already been accounted for… but it is true that Bleublanc was conspicuously absent from CS 3. That was clearly on purpose to disguise that if he had been seen at any point, people would have wondered why he was missing in the finale. Of course he had a motive to intervene because that would not have been a beautiful death. I also had not anticipated the very one who planted the bombs also put in some kind of protection bubble.

He is in CS3, he's on the beach south of Ordis, but he is in disguise.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

secretly best girl posted:

Sky 3rd: It kinda feels like Persona 3 in some ways with the progression through a larger structure while I also just have 2.5 rooms worth of shops divorced from them

Having reached chapter two, I officially eat this statement now that I'm in a bizarro world. (I refuse to believe this version of the town is the actual one, especially in a place named Fakelandia. That seems like an insane scaling of powers for artifacts.) I also find it funny that with one exception so far, all the doors are now both telling me "yes, every weiner who showed up for one fight is gonna show up" and also "we had no idea how to make clever hints for the people with two personality traits". I wonder who I need for "The only woman in the sausage party of the sky"!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Edit: it's possible I misread something

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/w4dy1u/preorders_for_valimar_model_kit_to_start_from_22/

For sure, I’m going to pre-order this

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
gently caress YES. I've been waiting for this to hit ever since the toy show preview.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My little buddy shall be built

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Shinjobi posted:

My little buddy shall be built

You are HIS little buddy. And his true friend.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I will build the DC Douglas model kit

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They should make soldat kits as well.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I hope the kit isn’t too complicated to put together; this is going to be my first one

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

SgtSteel91 posted:

I hope the kit isn’t too complicated to put together; this is going to be my first one

If it's anything like building Gunpla, you just pop the pieces out of the plastic and then push them together according to the instructions. You can use an exacto knife if you want to shave off the little knobs left over when you pushed them out of the plastic. No glue required.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moderoids aren't quite as well-constructed as gunpla but yeah they're still pretty simple to put together, no glue or screws and the instructions are very clear.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I think pre-orders are up, but I can't read Japanese

Anyone know the steps to pre-order Valimar?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I think pre-orders are up, but I can't read Japanese

Anyone know the steps to pre-order Valimar?

Head to HobbylinkJapan or Goodsmile USA and plonk down some dosh

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Head to HobbylinkJapan or Goodsmile USA and plonk down some dosh

Thank you!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If it helps any HLJ doesn't have you pay in advance, just when it comes out, and you will get it sooner than Good Smile's US store if you ship it out as soon as it releases.

e: oh, seems to be the same month globally actually

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 22, 2022

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Are all the minigames in Sky 3rd as bad as that first one? Because if so, I may just jettison all of the future ones.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I can only remember 3 minigames and only 1 is good.

E: No wait. There are 4 minigames and 2 are good

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I have only seen the airship turret section and that was dogshit, especially with unchangeable controls. Took three tries since as far as I could tell there was no defense move or way to interrupt things like the beam attack.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That’s the only mini game that doesn’t get a hard mode so I think they realised it sucks.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I have only seen the airship turret section and that was dogshit, especially with unchangeable controls. Took three tries since as far as I could tell there was no defense move or way to interrupt things like the beam attack.

I remember using my mouse to control the minigame which made it easy. Try it maybe.

Though I might be thinking of KOTOR II lmao

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

That one's the worst one. Most of the other ones are minigames you've already experienced before.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That first Sky the 3rd minigame is the worst in my opinion. I'm pretty sure that you can use the mouse on it, the controls say you can use the mouse to aim. I tried to check, but it was glitchy for me and I had a black screen.

Lots of people hate the fishing minigame, but that can be mitigated by looking at a guide for how Sky SC's fishing worked, and using that to decide what rod/bait combination is best for getting you the best fish at each spot.

The most important door for the overall story arc requires you to finish all the other doors.

Now, stop reading here, as the rest of my post has major spoilers for Cold Steel 4. Everyone quoting/responding to this post, please do be careful about spoilers for the sake of the new-ish player.

Cold Steel 4, Act 3, Day 1, Mid-morning

The pool - *MASSIVE spoilers for CS 4 and previous games*

1) It feels both incredibly stupid and unnecessary to have literal reincarnation be a canon thing. I don’t like that. If nothing else that raises a whole lot of questions which the game clearly doesn't want to actually answer. That is why no one there actually asks any questions.

Warning: Very stupid tangent ahead! (And coming from me, that's really saying something!)
I feel like a very similar end-point could have been reached if instead it was something like this (fiction which relies on spoiler things):
What if Lianne was pregnant when she died, but hadn’t told Dreichels yet? When she came back to life, so did the child she was carrying (I mean they're already doing arbitrary resurrection and immortality, so a 2-for-1 rez special isn't that much more bananas). Perhaps she could have given the baby away to a commoner family who had lost one of their own children in the war – the Osborne family. Another slight change: when Lianne went to see Dreichels when he was dying, he mentioned that the curse would follow his line (instead of his soul). Heck, that would help explain Cedric as well!

Oh, hey, look, there’s a reason right there why Arianrhod would keep track of the Osborne family and its descendants. It also offers a nice parallel connection between Osborne’s ancestor being adopted by a family and Rean being adopted by a family. …Although there is the downside of that making Rean distantly related to the Imperial family, although there seem to be multiple branch lines anyway, like the Cayennes, so maybe that’s not a problem. It also might have the problem of Emperor Eugent not having loyalty to Dreichel's "soul", and thus going along with everything he says, but I don't see why having Dreichel's soul would be a good enough reason for him to go along with everything Osborne says in the actual plot. I never felt like that willingness to go along needed any more of an explanation besides "this is the only way to end the curse".

2) Most of those revelations were fairly clear, but I don’t entirely understand what they were talking about with regards to Alberich (CS 4) when he was Franz Reinford. From Sharon’s dialogue alone, it’s clear that “Franz Reinford” was at least a mole – passing Reinford secrets to the terrorist group Ouroboros. But after the visions ended, they talk about something “possessing” Franz. They called Alberich a puppet, but the dialogue from Alberich seems to imply that Alberich was the real identity all along, which was just suppressed under a fictional “Franz Lughman” layer which he was using as a cover.

If I recall, back in CS 3’s finale chapter, Alberich mentioned being around for hundreds of years. At the time, I took that as referring to his physical body, as in Gnomes might live for hundreds of years. I suppose now that might have been referring to the… “spirit” thing which… randomly “possessed” “Franz Reinford”.

Oh, and don’t think I didn’t notice that little comment slipped in about the spirit thing becoming one with “any descendant of the Gnomes it deems worthy.” One thing which we know, but no one has mentioned so far, is that Alisa is a descendant of the Gnomes. Now I don’t actually think the game is going to have Alisa get possessed if, say, she beats her father in combat, proving herself to be "worthy". We’re both too near the end of the game for such a thing, and it the amount of additional focus that would give to Alisa on top of the focus she’s already getting would probably be too much even for Falcom.

I don’t think it’ll happen. That little slip-in of information does bear a resemblance to a lot of “subtle foreshadowing” things the Trails franchise loves to slip in under people’s noses every so often.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 24, 2022

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Sky 3rd: so... is everyone in the party getting the memory fragments? Do they only get handed to the people who enter the specific door? Either way that leaves me with a lot of questions about internal church documents on the Salt Pale incident and that thing from the end of SC with two characters' names on it being handed out to everyone in the party because we killed 100 mooks.

edit: yeah nevermind, this specific question was answered ten minutes later when one of said two characters turned to the other as they lied about the whole thing! Clearly nobody else knows. Alright.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 26, 2022

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

No, the characters are not literally viewing the doors. Game mechanic and story separation. Only Agate and Tita know what happened in their door. Only Olivier knows what happened in his door. Only Kevin might have read the Salt Pale. Probably no one in the cast read the tabloid on Bleublanc. Etc.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Started Ys 8 after I dropped off Ys7. Is Seven considered a good entry in the franchise? I don't know if I should go back to that I still have my safe but I didn't like the gameplay that or story that much but I think I was done like 40%. Ys 8 so far with the Castaway village seems more interesting and the dodge mechanic is quite good in the combat.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ulio posted:

Started Ys 8 after I dropped off Ys7. Is Seven considered a good entry in the franchise? I don't know if I should go back to that I still have my safe but I didn't like the gameplay that or story that much but I think I was done like 40%. Ys 8 so far with the Castaway village seems more interesting and the dodge mechanic is quite good in the combat.

I'd clear Lacrimosa and then go back and play Oath in Felghana or Origin, the PC engine games are where its at (no flash dodge/guard though, you just run around like a hyperactive Link spinning and jumping at things)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ulio posted:

I like Ys 7 but it was the first time the series tried its hand at a new battle system and its kinda rough around the edges. 8 was my first Ys game though and it's super good and in general a way more polished experience than 7. So i'd def say 8 is a better starting point and maybe the best game in the series. My favourite anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like Ys 7 but it was the first time the series tried its hand at a new battle system and its kinda rough around the edges. 8 was my first Ys game though and it's super good and in general a way more polished experience than 7. So i'd def say 8 is a better starting point and maybe the best game in the series. My favourite anyway.

It's certainly the only Ys game with a compelling argument for being better than Ys Origin. I still think Origin is better, but Lacrimosa is definitely similarly incredible.