Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Spanish Manlove posted:

What do you guys think about named characters having a signature stratagem? Some really weak dudes could let you freely use a flavorful fringe strat. Some relatively good ones could have a refund cp on a dice roll. But all of the strats would have to fit their flavor. I'm just thinking space wolves but the character Njall Stormcaller could have a 4+ roll refund a CP for Cloaked By The Storm. Having more reasons to bring dudes other than as boring stat sticks would be so awesome.

I think I would just give named characters the ability to use a specific strat for free once per game. That can be crazy powerful and doesn't generate extra strats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Kitchner posted:

I think I would just give named characters the ability to use a specific strat for free once per game. That can be crazy powerful and doesn't generate extra strats.

Would be a neat way to rescue some of the more lame characters. Take them, get 'free' CP, and find something to do with them on the table. I'd enjoy having Old One Eye stomp around the table more often and Brood Lord might as well not exist at the moment.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I'd like to see less strategems tbh but have them all be good/not super specialized

Or maybe you pick 6-10 while building your army type of thing, there's too many to remember for your own army and the opponent's

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ulric the Slayer letting another character unlock a saga for 1cp instead of 2 once a game would be hype as poo poo. It would make him actually a difficult choice versus the current no brainer bike chaplain.

Stuff like that. Not just making characters only take 3 wounds a phase or get a billion bloat stats like everyone else.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Some characters getting unique strats they can use once per game free just seems like abilities with extra steps.

An example of something that does exactly that is Celestine's resurrection.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I was kinda ok with there not being female space marines as a normal in the official lore because I feel like they plus Sisters lean heavily on the medieval monastic order tropes which were always segregated. Also, personality wise in the lore at they and the SoB are almost always these monk like unsexed robots for duty more or less. By which I mean, I'm not sure how would you even write an interesting female marine that would be any different from a male one.

They should have introduced the concept with Primaris though, was no reason not to really

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 21, 2022

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Space Marines are just male Sisters of Battle.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That's why they're called Battle Brothers, yes

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

That's why they're called Battle Brothers, yes

Lol imagine if they just renamed them Brothers of Battle.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

AndyElusive posted:

Space Marines are just male Sisters of Battle.

Sisters are VASTLY more interesting than the Marines.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Misters and sisters of battle

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Cessna posted:

Absolutely everything, even single celled organisms, are more interesting than marines.

All the psycho-conditioning makes them less than 1 dimensional. Even the Custodes can be made interesting as they are meant to have a bit more freedom of personality as companions of Big E.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Marines can be fun if they are allowed to have actual flaws and struggles (Blood Angels and Chaos Marines) or if they are allowed to be straight up unalloyed evil (Black Templars and Chaos Marines)

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

Marines can be fun if they are allowed to have actual flaws and struggles (Blood Angels and Chaos Marines) or if they are allowed to be straight up unalloyed evil (Black Templars and Chaos Marines)

Yeah, Chaos are cool as they think about what they are and that introspection is interesting.

Then they stab someone with the doomsword.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
White Scars are cool :colbert:

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Can someone help me identify a Chaos ship I have a memory of from many years back? Its gimmick was the the vox would just blare one word incessantly throughout all of the decks, something like "murderkill" or "skullhate," or some such Khornate silliness.

Edit:
Figured out how to Google it: Killfrenzy.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 21, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There's a reason my larger Tyranid models are being built in various stages of crushing, stabbing, severing and devouring space marines. Only thing I have left to figure out is if I want to paint them as Ultramarines to show my contempt for the Mary Sues of the universe, or to leave them very, very conspicuously primer-grey while my Tyranids are fully painted and still painting stuff like their guns or the blood to show my contempt for the lamest of the lame players of Space Marines.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

So what I'm gathering from all this is that im on the cool team for picking CSM as my first army

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
CSM players are some of the whiniest folk around with the biggest persecution complex though so it evens out

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Cessna posted:

only because the deliberately downplay the monastic aspects. Everybody wants to be a Templar Knight untill it comes time to do two weeks penance for accedently being in the same room as a woman.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
CSMs are awesome, you’ll have a blast

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
The chaos primarchs are all a lot more interesting as well

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

AnEdgelord posted:

I love templars because they are the stupidest space marines, the most scornful of basic military tactics, who diverged the most from 30k ideals while still being loyal. I liked it when it was implied they gave no fucks about the codex limitations and hid their numbers across crusade fleets, but I think that was retconned. I liked that sigismund is so inanely devout, he parked a war fleet outside the eye of terror after the traitors fled, just waited ages, believing they would be back, and he almost disembowelled Abbadon on his first day out. Welcome back fucko.

I hate that they are the most chud space marines at face value.

Been reading a lot of bundle trash 40k books and it's interesting where they take the modern chapters.

Like the dark angels are so paranoid they kept their new primaris contingent iced between actions, hosed with their brains, dissected them and use them as ablative meat shields while keeping them in the dark. I hate how that book ends though, with the primaris just being inducted into a new circle and all is forgiven, after the old marines straight up murder the primaris characters best friend.

The iron hands book was a surprise too. I loving hated it to begin with, the modern IH had given themselves over entirely to algorithmic driven war. Turns out that's a plot point, the dumb dumbs have been erasing their own personalities through technology, making it even easier to be contained and used by others. They have no humanity left, even by space marine standards they're robotic, with absolute rigid adherence to orders, no interpretation, adaptation or questioning even glaringly obvious issues. They're so crippled by fulgrim's betrayal, they engineer betrayal and trusting no one right into their recruitment programs.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

bird food bathtub posted:

There's a reason my larger Tyranid models are being built in various stages of crushing, stabbing, severing and devouring space marines. Only thing I have left to figure out is if I want to paint them as Ultramarines to show my contempt for the Mary Sues of the universe, or to leave them very, very conspicuously primer-grey while my Tyranids are fully painted and still painting stuff like their guns or the blood to show my contempt for the lamest of the lame players of Space Marines.

ABKU - Always Be Killing Ultramarines

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hot Karl Marx posted:

The chaos primarchs are all a lot more interesting as well

Angron's my boy

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Eej posted:

Angron's my boy

Really can't wait for World eaters to be released.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

bird food bathtub posted:

owning the marine industrial complex by buying marines for basing

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Nazzadan posted:

So what I'm gathering from all this is that im on the cool team for picking CSM as my first army

Chaos Marine players are sadly so often edge lords.

Anyone who plays predominantly Slaanesh (e.g. Emperors children) and talks a lot about hedonism and excess or anyone who plays as Khorne/World Eaters and shouts a lot while playing is immediately out.

Tzneetch or Alpha legion players who continously say "ah you've activated my trap card" or "just as planned lol" are also out for being anime likers.

Nurgle players who refuse to wash are in, only because you can't play tournaments by refusing to play unwashed players.

The only group of Chaos players that have always seemed chill is Iron Warriors but that was mostly because they've always been poo poo so you only play them if you really like vehicles.

I say all this owning 5,000 points of Word Bearers but in my defence my only army meme is "another classic Word Bearers betrayal".

However I will add:

Eej posted:

CSM players are some of the whiniest folk around with the biggest persecution complex though so it evens out

This is unfortunately true. It comes from playing second fiddle to space marines I guess.

The only players I've seen whine nearly as much as CSM players are T'au players.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Kitchner posted:

Anyone who plays predominantly Slaanesh (e.g. Emperors children) and talks a lot about hedonism and excess or anyone who plays as Khorne/World Eaters and shouts a lot while playing is immediately out.

Whew I'm in the clear, I don't care about the hedonism stuff for EC I just think Fulgrim is neat and purple/pink make for a hella good base color. And Noise Marines are thematically neat.

From what I've seen of lists/battle reports while painting IW seem like an army I'd also like. I am down for a very shooty/vehicle'y army, and EC seem a lot more interested in melee and fights first/fights last.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

War and Pieces posted:

only because the deliberately downplay the monastic aspects. Everybody wants to be a Templar Knight untill it comes time to do two weeks penance for accedently being in the same room as a woman.

?

Sisters take penance to extremes.

Repentia, Penitent Engines, etc.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Cessna posted:

?

Sisters take penance to extremes.

Repentia, Penitent Engines, etc.

I mean Space Marines, they're treated like frat bros instead of brothers of a fraternal order

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AnEdgelord posted:

also evil robots like iron hands

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nazzadan posted:

Whew I'm in the clear, I don't care about the hedonism stuff for EC I just think Fulgrim is neat and purple/pink make for a hella good base color. And Noise Marines are thematically neat.

From what I've seen of lists/battle reports while painting IW seem like an army I'd also like. I am down for a very shooty/vehicle'y army, and EC seem a lot more interested in melee and fights first/fights last.

EC are deceptively good at shooting this edition (and last edition, really). Because their Legion trait ignores all penalties to hit you can advance and shoot Assault weapons with no penalty (read: Meltas), can shoot Heavy weapons on Infantry while moving without penalty (heavy weapon guy in a Lego squad), can shoot into Dense cover without the -1 to hit and Blastmasters are amazing this edition so you can run like 2-3 MSU Noise Marine squads with nothing but free chainswords, 1 Blastmaster and a Power Fist on the champ (because again, EC ignores the hit penalty on the Power Fist).

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Kitchner posted:

Chaos Marine players are sadly so often edge lords.

Sir this is the Warhammer 40,000 thread

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 22, 2022

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Eej posted:

EC are deceptively good at shooting this edition (and last edition, really). Because their Legion trait ignores all penalties to hit you can advance and shoot Assault weapons with no penalty (read: Meltas), can shoot Heavy weapons on Infantry while moving without penalty (heavy weapon guy in a Lego squad), can shoot into Dense cover without the -1 to hit and Blastmasters are amazing this edition so you can run like 2-3 MSU Noise Marine squads with nothing but free chainswords, 1 Blastmaster and a Power Fist on the champ (because again, EC ignores the hit penalty on the Power Fist).

Oh cool, that makes me feel much more secure in my Legion choice then.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

War and Pieces posted:

Brother Spacius, you said the correct prayer of thanks while putting nutri-loaf into the loaftoaster and while waiting for it to toast and while taking the toasted nutri-loaf out of the loaftoastet BUT you forgot to say the catechism of thankfulness after you finished taking your nutri-loaf out of the loaftoaster! You are assigned 200 hours of penitent meditation between combat actions. Praise the Emperor.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Improbable Lobster posted:

Brother Spacius, you said the correct prayer of thanks while putting nutri-loaf into the loaftoaster and while waiting for it to toast and while taking the toasted nutri-loaf out of the loaftoastet BUT you forgot to say the catechism of thankfulness after you finished taking your nutri-loaf out of the loaftoaster! You are assigned 200 hours of penitent meditation between combat actions. Praise the Emperor.

Brother, if you use a dish you wash it up.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

People who's favorite legion is Ultramarines are the same type of people who's favorite superhero is Superman.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think marines are interesting in even doses with the rest of the factions, but everything is marines so they're just this manpaste. The stories about crews like night lords and blood angels are generally cool because they've got stuff going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'd read a book that was nothing but Ultramarines being Roman senators to one another trying to become the boss.