Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

FutureCop posted:

Anyone have any impressions on COMPOUND? It just came out of early access and I've had my eye on it for some time, but still was a bit worried that it might be a bit lacking compared to more recent contemporaries (mostly because I've only seen footage of early stuff which looks nice but pretty simple).

I only played the Compound demo and it was extremely good. I was very impressed. The pixel aesthetic works great in VR. I can’t speak to the longevity of the full game but the demo was good enough for me to pick it up at full price yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Lemming posted:

Working on a new game mode for Gorilla Tag. Add slingshots, make it deathmatch, give everyone 3 lives. When you're dead you can stun people still alive to slow them down. It rules pretty hard already

https://twitter.com/LemmingVR/status/1549590958236368898?s=20&t=lTWe-Oqlxp30kfedFO65vQ

That's a clever idea, and the combo of arms for locomotion plus slingshot use looks hectic.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FutureCop posted:

Anyone have any impressions on COMPOUND?

Its fun. I've had it a while and its been worth the bucks for a good long time.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

That's a clever idea, and the combo of arms for locomotion plus slingshot use looks hectic.

It definitely is, I've tried it with just throwing little fireball things before and that works a little smoother from the perspective of moving and shooting (run with one hand, throw with the other), but here since there's a tradeoff between moving and shooting you either stay in one spot and fire a bunch but you're wide open, or you try to move and shoot which really hurts your accuracy. You can go for higher jumps, but then people can track your arc. It feels like it has a really high skill ceiling and it's a lot of fun so far, even though your hands are doing a lot. That said, moving fast and shooting at the same time is something that's pretty unnatural and is an artifact of video games; irl, if you're shooting you're almost always doing it from a standstill, or you aren't going to hit anything. It feels like that's replicated pretty well here, which is a cool outcome

I'm also trying to prove out that I think this kind of locomotion is a lot more flexible than people think it is. The base game has the locomotion as pretty much the only mechanic, but it's pretty natural and a lot of fun to add a slingshot on top of it. So I think the arm based movement can be used as a base for pretty much any kind of game to be added on top, rather than the only mechanic that you can focus on

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A little tease for RM2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xHXtPeVSTg

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Lemming posted:

It definitely is, I've tried it with just throwing little fireball things before and that works a little smoother from the perspective of moving and shooting (run with one hand, throw with the other), but here since there's a tradeoff between moving and shooting you either stay in one spot and fire a bunch but you're wide open, or you try to move and shoot which really hurts your accuracy. You can go for higher jumps, but then people can track your arc. It feels like it has a really high skill ceiling and it's a lot of fun so far, even though your hands are doing a lot. That said, moving fast and shooting at the same time is something that's pretty unnatural and is an artifact of video games; irl, if you're shooting you're almost always doing it from a standstill, or you aren't going to hit anything. It feels like that's replicated pretty well here, which is a cool outcome

I'm also trying to prove out that I think this kind of locomotion is a lot more flexible than people think it is. The base game has the locomotion as pretty much the only mechanic, but it's pretty natural and a lot of fun to add a slingshot on top of it. So I think the arm based movement can be used as a base for pretty much any kind of game to be added on top, rather than the only mechanic that you can focus on

I can see how players see-saw between two goals, constantly choosing and re-evaluating between furthering goal #1 of "don't lose" (don't get hit) versus goal #2 of "win" (hit others) -- both of which require using one's arms. The former to avoid getting hit by being mobile (at the expense of shooting accurately), and the latter to shoot and aim effectively (at the expense of mobility). Thanks for calling attention to the riskiness of higher jumps, that wasn't obvious and is a pretty neat angle.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

I can see how players see-saw between two goals, constantly choosing and re-evaluating between furthering goal #1 of "don't lose" (don't get hit) versus goal #2 of "win" (hit others) -- both of which require using one's arms. The former to avoid getting hit by being mobile (at the expense of shooting accurately), and the latter to shoot and aim effectively (at the expense of mobility). Thanks for calling attention to the riskiness of higher jumps, that wasn't obvious and is a pretty neat angle.

Yeah, and what's really cool about it is that none of this is really coming out of a specific, concerted design process - this was pretty much just "slingshots are fun, I will try to add slingshots, oh because the locomotion is good it works synergistically and everything is even better than each piece alone."

I really, really strongly believe that if VR is designed as trying to build an alternate world with different rules but a consistent, grounded set of rules, then it's actually pretty straightforward to make something that's really awesome.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, there are so many stuff that still is half-assed in the Quest software. I reinstalled Ultrawings 2 yesterday and the cloud save wasn't the last one, but one that correspond to one week less of playtime, at least. In Oculus TV, you can subscribe to creators/channels... but there is no place anywhere to see the list of the things you have subscribed so far or their videos!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Turin Turambar posted:

Man, there are so many stuff that still is half-assed in the Quest software. I reinstalled Ultrawings 2 yesterday and the cloud save wasn't the last one, but one that correspond to one week less of playtime, at least. In Oculus TV, you can subscribe to creators/channels... but there is no place anywhere to see the list of the things you have subscribed so far or their videos!

For the longest time there was no way to navigate to your wishlist in the Oculus app or on the Quest itself. Every time I wanted to look at it I had to add something to my wishlist so the little pop-up about it would happen and I could click on that to pull it up.

And at a certain point the app and store stopped showing me the daily deals or anything that was on sale and I could only find out the current deals by googling. They still don't show up for me but at least they added a filter option where I can choose to only see discounted games now.

I wish they would concentrate on polishing what's there instead of rearranging the entire UI every 3 months.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TIP posted:

For the longest time there was no way to navigate to your wishlist in the Oculus app or on the Quest itself. Every time I wanted to look at it I had to add something to my wishlist so the little pop-up about it would happen and I could click on that to pull it up.

And at a certain point the app and store stopped showing me the daily deals or anything that was on sale and I could only find out the current deals by googling. They still don't show up for me but at least they added a filter option where I can choose to only see discounted games now.

I wish they would concentrate on polishing what's there instead of rearranging the entire UI every 3 months.

I for one have given up on trying to learn where any of the settings, options, store pages, etc are, they change so much and it's all so unintuitive that I just click around until I find whatever I'm looking for every time. It's so unreasonably bad

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wanna play Warframe in VR and throw up immediately.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

You'll be happy to know that pro-loco is being added to our bow game. :)

Stupid excited to slide around shooting bows and grappling everywhere. Yeah there will still be stick for those used to stick but whatever.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
More Oculus weirdness.
When buying something you get an email with a receipt number and on their site you can see your orders and see an order number.
When trying to refund I clicked the refund link on that apps page, it asked for a number and neither of those numbers were valid.
Seemingly the only way to refund on Oculus is through Menu>Settings>Purchase history on the phone app.
Which I only found out about after getting frustrated and googling.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 21, 2022

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Inzombiac posted:

Wanna play Warframe in VR and throw up immediately.

Just imagining this as the worst possible VR idea ever. Like your brain trying to comprehend what’s happening around it would be crippling

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy

FutureCop posted:

Anyone have any impressions on COMPOUND? It just came out of early access and I've had my eye on it for some time, but still was a bit worried that it might be a bit lacking compared to more recent contemporaries (mostly because I've only seen footage of early stuff which looks nice but pretty simple).

Also what is a typical play session of Into the Radius like? Is the gameplay similar to something like the story mode of Walking Dead Saints and Sinners? Because I'd love more of that.

Compound is brilliant. I bought it a few years ago, and the constant updates have been excellent. One of my most played and favourite vr games, and the full release is great.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Anybody have any advice on running HL Alyx through a link cable on the Quest 2 decently? I just got a Quest 2 to replace my OG Vive (which Alyx ran very well on), but it’s been a stuttery mess so far. Other SteamVR games seem to be running great, but Alyx has been pretty unplayable even with the resolution and quality settings turned down

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

JohnnySmitch posted:

Anybody have any advice on running HL Alyx through a link cable on the Quest 2 decently? I just got a Quest 2 to replace my OG Vive (which Alyx ran very well on), but it’s been a stuttery mess so far. Other SteamVR games seem to be running great, but Alyx has been pretty unplayable even with the resolution and quality settings turned down

Using Virtual Desktop made 99% of my stuttery weirdness go away.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2017050365004772

Using most of the settings he suggests in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsIjmTvOwCE

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aw :rip: Ubi cancelled their splinter cell VR thing they were supposedly working on. It would've most assuredly been poo poo but could've been neat if they put some effort into it (they wouldn't have).

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

explosivo posted:

Aw :rip: Ubi cancelled their splinter cell VR thing they were supposedly working on. It would've most assuredly been poo poo but could've been neat if they put some effort into it (they wouldn't have).

That's disappointing, a well done Splinter Cell game in VR could have been GREAT. I'm not saying it would have been, but all those gadgets and vision modes and stealth seem like they'd be pretty cool.

Along similar lines I wish the original Deus Ex would get a VR remake. It's still my #1 flat game and I would be so excited for a good translation into VR.

If I had a big budget to work with I would be making a DX inspired immersive sim for VR right now.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
This VR fest is weird. Half the games are not on sale and a lot of them are years old already. Even the Index is still full price. Was there an announcement of something VR related that lead to this "Fest"? What the hell was the point of this?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TIP posted:

That's disappointing, a well done Splinter Cell game in VR could have been GREAT. I'm not saying it would have been, but all those gadgets and vision modes and stealth seem like they'd be pretty cool.

Yeah that's what I mean, like if a studio who had time and money and desire to make a good VR game set out to make a good VR Splinter Cell it could be incredible but it's Ubisoft so there's no way any of that would've happened.

Broose posted:

This VR fest is weird. Half the games are not on sale and a lot of them are years old already. Even the Index is still full price. Was there an announcement of something VR related that lead to this "Fest"? What the hell was the point of this?

It does feel like the VR Fest is really just highlighting how few games have come out, rather than being a celebration of VR games like I assume it's supposed to be.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
One interesting thing I've discovered with Gorilla Tag is that it's actually much more possible/plausible to sneak up on people than I would've thought. It's not uncommon to be able to spook people by sneaking up behind them, without any actual stealth mechanics like fake sightlines or whatever. I think you could actually do some pretty cool stealth stuff without needing to cheat vision and audio which would be really cool, but yeah I wouldn't trust Ubisoft to do anything interesting there

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I tried setting my Air Link bitrate to fixed, 200Mbps. It looks amazing. Far better than VD does on max bandwidth. In Alyx, edges are crisper, gradients/particle effects or anything hazy looks much better. The colours look a little bolder too I think. On VD, even on max, everything seems slightly washed out with a little noise/grain to it, even at 150Mbps.

The only problem is, I still have a slight jittering of objects close to me occasionally. No other problems, no wobbly things, or black edges if I turn my head too quickly. Just things close to me jitter a little when I move my head sometimes. I'm now 99% convinced this is some sort of tracking issue between Oculus and SteamVR and not a bandwith thing, because:

- Oculus Store (but still PCVR) games run perfectly. Totally smooth, even at 200Mbps, literally no problems whatsoever, and they look incredible. I loaded up Walkabout Minigolf and I was blown away, I'd only played the Quest native version before
- The stutter seems consistent regardless of any bandwidth settings (the only thing I haven't tried yet is with a cable, which I intend to).
- Switching to the beta channel improved it slightly

Other than bandwidth, does anyone know of anything I can fiddle with, in the Oculus debug tool or SteamVR settings, or anything like that?

e: That said, are there ways to monitor if ASW/SSW are kicking in in AirLink or VD? I really want to get to the bottom of this.

chippy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 21, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Broose posted:

Agreed. Coming so soon after the summer sale, it almost feels like it was setup to fail, but that's probably too paranoid.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

Any source on that?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yep

quote:

Other projects are facing delays or even cancellations. Axios' Stephen Totilo noted that Ubisoft has cancelled its battle royale brawler Ghost Recon Frontline and Splinter Cell VR. The company also dropped two unannounced games, and has pushed back a lower-profile "premium" game from a 2022-2023 release window to 2023-2024.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I saw the news earlier but didn’t catch that SC got the axe. Sucks.

Still want to see that San Andreas game before I believe it

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

explosivo posted:

My friend and I just fired up Walkabout again last night for the first time in a while to finish the hard mode of the candyland course and were wondering when this/Myst was coming out. Can't wait, looks great.

Edit: I want to eat everything in the candyland level btw. It all looks so delicious :gonk:

Does walkabout require everyone who's playing to have bought the dlc?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

raditts posted:

Nope, only the host. Guests just can't collect hidden balls etc.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

raditts posted:

No, only to collect golf balls/trophy's

efb

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Helping my friend find the hidden balls but not being able to pick them up is usually enough to sway me into buying it as well, haha.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

explosivo posted:

Helping my friend find the hidden balls but not being able to pick them up is usually enough to sway me into buying it as well, haha.

are you able to purchase it mid game so you can start collecting balls immediately?

if not they should get on that

in fact, they should probably make it so that if you try to collect a ball a pop-up appears that says "click here to buy the DLC and collect this ball!"

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Dumb Question - I've got my computer desk on the north wall of my room. The light houses are on the south wall directly behind me, and I calibrated SteamVR while facing south / the lighthouses [duh :v:]

If I wanted to put a racing wheel stand next to my desk like this:

So I can turn 90º from my computer desk to the wheel setup, would this result in me basically just staring over my shoulder in game because I calibrated it facing south instead of west? Will I have to drag the whole wheel stand into the middle of the room "behind" me so I'm facing south while playing it? I'm guessing so, and that's supremely obnoxious :thunk:

I don’t use lighthouses as I have a quest 2, but every sim I’ve played has a button you bind to center your view. So you should be fine.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

chippy posted:

The only problem is, I still have a slight jittering of objects close to me occasionally. No other problems, no wobbly things, or black edges if I turn my head too quickly. Just things close to me jitter a little when I move my head sometimes.

That sounds like either ASW or Framerate Insurance. Check ODT and switch Insurance to Off (maybe it’s called Protection? Idk it’s the setting right next to Sharpening). If that doesn’t fix it, you can also force ASW to off or at least turn on the performance overlay so you can see if ASW is active when the jittering occurs.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TIP posted:

are you able to purchase it mid game so you can start collecting balls immediately?

if not they should get on that

in fact, they should probably make it so that if you try to collect a ball a pop-up appears that says "click here to buy the DLC and collect this ball!"

I think this every time but no they don't. I always said I thought it'd be hosed up if they let you collect all of them and at the end be like "okay give us $2.99 to use them"

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

explosivo posted:

I think this every time but no they don't. I always said I thought it'd be hosed up if they let you collect all of them and at the end be like "okay give us $2.99 to use them"

man, they're leaving money on the table!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Leathal posted:

That sounds like either ASW or Framerate Insurance. Check ODT and switch Insurance to Off (maybe it’s called Protection? Idk it’s the setting right next to Sharpening). If that doesn’t fix it, you can also force ASW to off or at least turn on the performance overlay so you can see if ASW is active when the jittering occurs.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. What causes ASW to kick in, is it the GPU not keeping up? I'm seeing this is in Alyx, running at 72hz, no supersampling, using the High preset, I'd be surprised if a 3080 couldn't deliver that, right? Although I have been trying Ultra recently (didn't seem to make it any worse though). Sounds worth investigating though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there any way to transfer progress in Walkabout? I started playing on Quest but want to play on PC, but my precious balls, they are not unlocked.

Additionally, is it possible to have a floating desktop window from Steam VR while playing a Rift game? So I can watch YouTube while playing Walkabout.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I picked up one of TP-Link's new triband routers the AXE5400 with Wifi 6E, and preliminary tests with VD seem very positive. Not much artifacting at all. Definitely going to have to test it out more but so far I've been very pleased with the performance both for VR and my network in general.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is there any way to transfer progress in Walkabout? I started playing on Quest but want to play on PC, but my precious balls, they are not unlocked.

Additionally, is it possible to have a floating desktop window from Steam VR while playing a Rift game? So I can watch YouTube while playing Walkabout.

No way to transfer progress sadly. If you're playing a PCVR game through the oculus app you can do a floating window with AirLink, if you mean playing a game on the quest natively like the quest version of Walkabout then no you can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

chippy posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a go. What causes ASW to kick in, is it the GPU not keeping up? I'm seeing this is in Alyx, running at 72hz, no supersampling, using the High preset, I'd be surprised if a 3080 couldn't deliver that, right? Although I have been trying Ultra recently (didn't seem to make it any worse though). Sounds worth investigating though.

Yeah, ASW cuts your framerate in half when you dip below the target frame rate and interpolates an inbetween frame to get you back up to your refresh rate.

With a 3080 (and I’m assuming a Quest 2), you might be pleased with the results of forcing on ASW with the headset refresh rate set to 120hz. I personally like it a lot better than “normal” 72hz: 60fps getting ASW’ed to 120 feels really smooth and it’s mostly not a problem hitting 60fps in demanding games with my 3070.

Edit: oh and just fyi, ODT and OTT both have a confusing ASW label that says something like “forced on, 45hz”. Ignore the hz part, I think it’s vestigial from the Rift S which capped out at 80hz.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 22, 2022