Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

That sucks, OP is genuinely being considerate of what the step daughter wants and it sounds like the two of them have a pretty good relationship and mutual respect for each other, which is a hell of a lot better than most of this thread gets. But apparently since their relationship doesn't look like traditional mother/daughter and they aren't biologically related, grandma is entitled to pull the "you could never understand how much I care" card because... biotruths?

e: Content for snipe; this one is kind of boring but I just like the title

AITA for claiming I drew a children’s drawing?

quote:

The building I work in has a reception desk that I man once or twice a week when I work the day shift, behind the desk someone hung a drawing their kid drew of us all. It’s a typical scribbled toddlers drawing. Last we were having some people come through and I jokingly asked them if they liked the drawing I did of us all, but hey laughed because it was obviously a kid.

I made the joke once or twice more since last week and today my coworker kind of blew up at me saying she doesn’t appreciate me mocking her sons drawing and claiming it to be mine. I apologized and told her I was just joking around but she doubled down and got madder at me.

AITA?

TLDR: jokingly claimed a kids drawing was my own and coworker got mad at me for mocking their kid

MK-Ultramarathon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for refusing to put my fiance on the house title after he kept handing me empty pens as a prank?

They say humor's key to any good relationship (which is why you should happily chuckle while kicking him out the door)

The only reason for him to demand to be added to the deed is so he can walk with half the house when he feels like it. Pushing for it to happen before the wedding, and even before he's put anything towards the mortgage, reads like he's already got an eye on the exit.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Bramble posted:

It can be an elective

let's make it a full on bachelor's major

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Bit of the ol' peggy-weggy

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA because I use my lacrosse skills for evil

quote:

My wife says I'm being a huge AH.

I like to keep my front lawn very neat and tidy. I'm not OCD about it but let's just say IF I lived in an HOA I would not ever be warned about my lawn.

I have one neighbor who let's her dog crap on my lawn. This isn't an issue. It's what dogs do. Other dog walkers also let their dogs do their business and promptly pick it up and walk a couple of houses down to the bus stop and put it in the trash. Or take it somewhere else if they are walking the other way.

This one neighbor however doesn't pick it up unless someone is watching her.

Well I have a doorbell camera and I can see from my office when this happens.

For the last two weeks I have been using my old lacrosse skills and a homemade poop flinger to return her property.

I may have gotten enthusiastic and it didn't always land on her lawn.

Sometimes the house, sometimes her sidewalk, one time the roof.

As stated my wife thinks I'm being a jerk.

AITA?

Drop poo poo, get hit (with poo poo)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DemoneeHo posted:

lmao dude owns

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

DemoneeHo posted:

I did the same thing with a shovel. Finding their dog's poo poo on their car got the message across

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

If I'm going to get pegged to Grieg, I feel that "In the hall of the Mountain King" would be more appropriate.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was thinking about doing that but the guy had threatened me when I complained that he was walking his excitable fully grown German shepherd in a dense suburb without a leash just because it was running up to kids and knocking them over and jumping on them, so I decided I didn't want to get shot. He had the dog taken away shortly after that anyway.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

DemoneeHo posted:

My neighbor'd kids used to throw their little sibling's used diapers into my backyard. I never played lacrosse but have a mean hook with a shovel. Sent most of them back into the yard, but a few times got on the roof.

AITA for moving my family to another state after my parents bought our first home for us in the midwest?

quote:

I grew up in the midwest, and after I left I had no desire to return. Unfortunately, home prices where I want to live are insane right now, and have been for a while. My parents generously offered to buy us a house about 5 years ago, the caveat that it had to be in Ohio.

No offense to anyone who loves Ohio, but as someone who spent their 20s enjoying the beauty of the Rockies, there is no comparison. I want my kids to grow up in a place where an active lifestyle is the standard, where we can go on camping trips and enjoy hiking together. The times we’ve visited Utah and Colorado, my kids went nuts and hated going home. My wife and I were just… bored in Ohio.

So my wife and I decided.. It’s time to move on. It was nice to be around family for a little while, but it’s time for us to make our own choices and move on. We sold the house and moved to Colorado.

My family is furious about it and has been causing trouble since day one. They were horribly offended at what we were doing and treated it as though we were going out of the way to be hurtful to them. My dad told me that what I did was sneaky and underhanded and I went against “every rule in the book.” But the house was MINE, it was just their money. And we never, ever said we were going to live there forever.

I’d even sat down to tell my mom, multiple times, that we hoped to one day move back to the Rockies. She understood. She’s heartbroken to not be around the grandkids, but my dad is furious and has been screaming about it to anyone who can hear. I’m being told I’m a horrible son, a sneaky bastard, etc. He's yelling about sending me a bill for what they put towards the house, and I firmly told him that he never, not once, gave ANY stipulations to the gift.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for what we did?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for moving my family to another state after my parents bought our first home for us in the midwest?

Totally understandable, I moved from the Midwest up into the Rockies, and it's just rough to imagine going back to live in cornfield central after that. It's nice to live around grandparents, but it's not even like that's a given for a lot of families anyway.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

apparently a lot of reddit commenters think it's okay to put strings on a gift as long as it costs enough

if the parents had bought them an ugly engagement ring or something they'd all agree OP was NTA for selling it, but a house is just too much i guess

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

bell jar posted:

What the hell kind of metaphor is this

The beaver that broke the camel's back sometimes isn't the brightest crayon in the tool shed

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Foo Diddley posted:

apparently a lot of reddit commenters think it's okay to put strings on a gift as long as it costs enough

if the parents had bought them an ugly engagement ring or something they'd all agree OP was NTA for selling it, but a house is just too much i guess

Depending on how the parents feel about Colorado, how much of a relationship he wants with them, and their situation it might be worth asking them if they'd be interested in something like an in-law suite or a guest house on their property they can live in.

I have some extended family in Colorado and where they are the houses themselves are moderately expensive but they're all on huge lots, there might be room to expand and they could channel some of that "gift" money from the house towards something for the parents to shut them up and give them a chance to be with the grandkids.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

Five years, too! They lived there for five years. Not like it was six months and they were like “yeah thanks but no thanks.” They stuck it out for plenty of time imo.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Cowslips Warren posted:

My neighbor'd kids used to throw their little sibling's used diapers into my backyard. I never played lacrosse but have a mean hook with a shovel. Sent most of them back into the yard, but a few times got on the roof.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Foo Diddley posted:

:psyduck: What? Like if I gave a friend $500 to help with a car payment and they turned around and used that money to buy Warhammer miniatures, I would be unbelievably pissed. There's degrees of dickishness, but the dude did pretty clearly take advantage of his parents' generosity.

e: Like, I'm not saying that his family should have stayed in Ohio forever, no one should live there, but imo the way he did it was extremely inconsiderate.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 21, 2022

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:psyduck: What? Like if I gave a friend $500 to help with a car payment and they turned around and used that money to buy Warhammer miniatures, I would be unbelievably pissed. There's degrees of dickishness, but the dude did pretty clearly take advantage of his parents generosity.

You give your friend a car payment, they drive it for five years, and then sell it. Do you feel like you were scammed in that situation?

Warhammer figurines, Jesus, what a terrible metaphor for what actually happened.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:psyduck: What? Like if I gave a friend $500 to help with a car payment and they turned around and used that money to buy Warhammer miniatures, I would be unbelievably pissed. There's degrees of dickishness, but the dude did pretty clearly take advantage of his parents generosity.

That bought a house and lived in it for years, it'd be a very different question if they just took the money and moved to Colorado.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Five years though. Like if I help someone with a car payment and then five years later they sell the car and buy miniatures…ok, sure why not

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

You give your friend a car payment, they drive it for five years, and then sell it. Do you feel like you were scammed in that situation?

Warhammer figurines, Jesus, what a terrible metaphor for what actually happened.

Sell it because they're upgrading to a new car, even.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:psyduck: What? Like if I gave a friend $500 to help with a car payment and they turned around and used that money to buy Warhammer miniatures, I would be unbelievably pissed. There's degrees of dickishness, but the dude did pretty clearly take advantage of his parents' generosity.

e: Like, I'm not saying that his family should have stayed in Ohio forever, no one should live there, but imo the way he did it was extremely inconsiderate.

It looks like they've been living in the house for five years, it's not like they grabbed the deed from their parents' hands and then slapped down a For Sale sign and rode off into the sunset. How long should they be required to live in this one house in Ohio before they're allowed to leave?

efb by like five different people because of how bad this equivalence is

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Anyway here's a different one

AITA for telling my sister I'm sick of her hypothetical pregnancy?

quote:

For the past year my sister has been trying to get pregnant, a journey on which I fully support her. However, she's been kind of obnoxious about it. She's always bringing up how she might be pregnant. "No wine for me, I might be pregnant. I can't keep the fast today, might be pregnant. I miss sushi, but I have to abstain because I might be pregnant." She's been pregnant and not pregnant for so long that I'm starting to worry she'll give birth to a cat.

Last night I told her about an upcoming trip I have with my boyfriend and some friends. We're going river rafting, which I've never done before and was excited about. She jumped in with "I'd love to try that too, but I can't because I might be pregnant."

I got annoyed, because we were talking about me for once and she found a way to make it about her hypothetical pregnancy again. I said "well, no one invited you." She asked me what my problem was, and I said I was sick of hearing about her hypothetical pregnancy. She said I was immature and left.

I feel bad, but also I am so sick of hearing about Shrodinger's pregnancy. AITA?

Mostly I just can't stop laughing at the phrase "Shrodinger's pregnancy"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I wonder why Ohio has become the official dump-on state? I mean, Indiana is much worse. There was a period when the state government in Indiana was dominated by the Ku Klux Klan.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

sephiRoth IRA posted:

It's a direct response to "you can't put strings on a gift" by using a deliberately exaggerated metaphor.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Honestly even if it was a super quick flip then NTA.

Life is too short to spend it in Ohio & the parents should be happy their kid & his family got out.

edit: also something with strings isn't a "gift." It can be a bribe, purchase, manipulation, trade, blackmail, etc. etc. but it isn't a gift.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 21, 2022

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Foo Diddley posted:

Sounds like that's irrelevant anyway, because there were no strings attached to the gift of a house. If the parents wanted to keep their kid close then they could have bought the house themselves and let their kid and his family stay there for free.

If that happened though, I'm pretty sure he'd turn the offer down.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Didn't we have another post a week or so ago where someone from the Rockies was dumping on Ohio? Maybe it was another of those boring states/provinces on the Prairies, either way it's a neat theme

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Anyway here's a different one

AITA for telling my sister I'm sick of her hypothetical pregnancy?

Mostly I just can't stop laughing at the phrase "Shrodinger's pregnancy"

One of those ones where I’m YTA at the top but by the end I’m like “actually you have a point, that’s kinda douche”

Re: gifts, idk putting strings on em even if they’re big really seems like a recipe for disaster. If you’re not ok with people using your gifts however the gently caress you want…don’t give them the gift. If I were the parents in this sitch I’d probably be a little hurt but I wouldn’t take it out on my kid, more like a “welp lesson learned” kinda thing

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

Didn't we have another post a week or so ago where someone from the Rockies was dumping on Ohio? Maybe it was another of those boring states/provinces on the Prairies, either way it's a neat theme

Was that the "gently caress ohio boyfriend, imma climb mountains" girl?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So the issue here is the difference between "I have bought a house and you can live in it rent free as long as you pay the bills" and "I have bought you a house to live in and have passed ownership to you" where the person making the gift clearly didn't think there would be a difference between the two.

At a minimum there should have been a conversation along the lines of 'we have decided to sell up and move away, obviously given you bought this house we would like to pay you back a reasonable amount'.

e: \/ there are probably some warhammer minis that literally have more value than a house in ohio

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I dunno, owning warhammer minis has more value than living in the state of ohio

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Alchenar posted:

So the issue here is the difference between "I have bought a house and you can live in it rent free as long as you pay the bills" and "I have bought you a house to live in and have passed ownership to you" where the person making the gift clearly didn't think there would be a difference between the two.

At a minimum there should have been a conversation along the lines of 'we have decided to sell up and move away, obviously given you bought this house we would like to pay you back a reasonable amount'.

Reads to me like they did talk about it, mom seems to have a normal reaction, sad but understands.

Dad seems to be cooking off though.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I wonder why Ohio has become the official dump-on state? I mean, Indiana is much worse. There was a period when the state government in Indiana was dominated by the Ku Klux Klan.

Indiana is so bland that it frankly should not exist. It's a monument to nihilism. You can't get angry at Indiana. It's like getting angry at a drop of water.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Nancy posted:

Reads to me like they did talk about it, mom seems to have a normal reaction, sad but understands.

Yeah the vibe I get is that the conversation was had and parents went “well yeah but I would never do that, so they won’t either” and put it out of their mind

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Nancy posted:

imo it reads to me like he'd talked about doing it in a general sense without any specific timeframe (As in "Oh, I'd love to move back out to Colorado one day"), but then when they decided to do it just up and sold the house and flew out west unilaterally.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Indiana is so bland that it frankly should not exist. It's a monument to nihilism. You can't get angry at Indiana. It's like getting angry at a drop of water.

Indiana has one purpose: to be Chicago's guns and fireworks store.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nae posted:

Indiana has one purpose: to be Chicago's guns and fireworks store.

And abortion facility! :chef: For the moment.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Acebuckeye13 posted:

imo it reads to me like he'd talked about doing it in a general sense without any specific timeframe (As in "Oh, I'd love to move back out to Colorado one day"), but then when they decided to do it just up and sold the house and flew out west unilaterally.

lmao at this use of "unilaterally" like it's a bad thing that the couple gets to decide where the couple lives as if everyone else deserves an equal vote too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I was hoping house seller clarified some of the timeline in the comments but no dice. It's interesting that the dad just sort of handed him a bunch of cash though

quote:

It is thankfully not a legal question. He gave the money to us, as in it was in our accounts. He didn't have anything to do with the buying process, thankfully.