Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

What are you replying to, that post is about dems opposing republican legislation

And you brought up a nebulous lack of "major" Republican legislation to back that up. So i'm returning with the the idea that Republicans being able to butcher Democratic legislation however they want implies that they are not actually being "stonewalled" at all. I will admit it kinda went off-track and become it's own thing though.

squirrelzipper posted:

Ok how do you motivate voters who believed you when someone blocks what you’re doing? Let me ask you - how do you think the mid-terms are going to go? Do you believe that sometimes politics is about what you say publicly, that can perhaps communicate a vision?

How about Shumer et al have a press conference where they announce:

‘After consideration, we’ve decided Mr. Manchin’s efforts would be better focussed somewhere else, and are replacing him as Chairman with XXXXXX. Unfortunatley due to his position on our Climate policy we don't believe he's the right choice for this role. Going forward, we will be assessing our team members ability to act as required to advance the agenda that our Democratic voters have overwhelmingly supported.'

It's called signalling. Does it do a lot? Maybe no. Does it do more than the bullshit being done now? Yes, unequivocally. Probe me if you must, but the echo chamber here is crazy and the November numbers are loving horrific.

E; and lol that someone reported me for this discussion. Just lmao.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

How dare squirrelzipper...answer the question they were asked? What? All i've seen is everyone do everything but actually debate their points.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

squirrelzipper posted:

Ok - answer me this. Why is Manchin Chariman of the Energy senate committee given his position and sinking of the Climate bill?

E; and that’s a bad faith reading of my post - I clearly said they’re losing BOTH engaged and apathetic voters, but w/e

Because all of the senators more senior then him didn't want it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Yinlock posted:

And you brought up a nebulous lack of "major" Republican legislation to back that up. So i'm returning with the the idea that Republicans being able to butcher Democratic legislation however they want implies that they are not actually being "stonewalled" at all. I will admit it kinda went off-track and become it's own thing though.

It's not a nebulous lack, I was asking you to specifically name major pieces of republican legislation from the last decade. The existence of which would disprove the assertion that dems have effectively opposed republican legislation.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

It's not a nebulous lack, I was asking you to specifically name major pieces of republican legislation from the last decade. The existence of which would disprove the assertion that dems have effectively opposed republican legislation.

I cannot, but i'm not sure why I have to. The fact I cannot specifically name major pieces of Republican legislation does not actually prove the assertion that Democrats have "stonewalled" them. That's why I called it nebulous, it doesn't actually do anything except bring an arbitrary criteria into the argument.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Dems have effectively opposed republican legislative efforts to the extent that republicans do not have major legislative accomplishments in the last decade is the exact opposite of nebulous.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dems have effectively opposed republican legislative efforts to the extent that republicans do not have major legislative accomplishments in the last decade is the exact opposite of nebulous.

Again, that is not proof of your assertion. The thread just got finished establishing that

a) Republicans tear poo poo down rather than build, and

b) They infight a lot

Both of these sufficiently explain why they don't have "major legislative accomplishments". Handouts to the rich, inflated military budgets, and a yearly record-breaking wealth gap are all in order, so in terms of Republican goals things have been running like clockwork.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Why are republicans able to get things done outside of the legislature then if the reason is that they're divided and infighting? It's telling that their primary methods of effecting anything significant appear to be with executive powers or via the judiciary. SCOTUS in particular you would expect more infighting from than seems to realistically manifest, though there are of course some disagreements, but nothing suggesting the republican members are significantly, consistently divided..

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Dems have been remarkably effective at stonewalling the republicans legislative efforts. How many major pieces of republican legislation from the last 10 years can you even name?

tbh it's one of the main things the dems have generally done a good job at

Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 - a massive delivery for their donors and perceived as great by their base. Getting 3 supreme court appointments, which many dems rolled over on to cross the aisle for despite the would-be justices blatantly lying under oath. In fact, Trump appointed and the senate confirmed so many judges it shifted the federal judiciary hugely in favor of republican and ideologue control.

These are combinations of executive (appointment) and legislative (confirmation) acts. The judiciary is now delivering on Republican goals.

Btw, the only thing that stopped the republicans from getting rid of the ACA with nothing to replace it and blowing up nearly a fifth of the economy was John McCain, who was dying of brain cancer and probably wanted to do one good thing in his life before he went.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 21, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
This tax cut and jobs act? Gallup:

Also who are the many dems who crossed the aisle for scotus confirmations?

amy coney barrett was unanimously opposed by dems. kavanaugh was 50-48 with 1 dem voting for him. gorsuch had 3 dems vote for him, but the tally was 54-45, so their votes didn't matter

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 21, 2022

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Regardless, if the Dems manage to actually gain a seat in November, manchin needs to lose everything. There’s no functional difference between 50 and 51 dem votes.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Manchin still has the support of his party because he represents the party's ideology. Reminder that Biden will be the first to tell you he does not support m4a or the green new deal. The fact that Manchin has faced zero consequences is proof that the party has more interest in "sensible comprimise" than supporting anything even remotely progressive. And why would the party do anything different when they already have your vote?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If they wanted to even some bullshit inside-the-beltway thing like not inviting Manchin to some fancy dinner and catching a news cycle of "Dems BLAST Manchin and BURN him on Twitter what a horrible fate!" could be used to shore up the support of people pissed off at nothing happening. Manchin himself would probably get in on it and love it for the campaigning boost he could milk out of it back home by being the Most Hated Democrat vote for me as senator y'all I'll fight them for you like I have been!

Yet.....nothing. Not a single thing. The 'punishment' has been all rewards.

Kinda seems like he may not actually be fighting against what the rest of the party wants.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
there is something funny in Joe Biden picking his every move for forty years with the goal of becoming president, and then spending his entire presidency eating poo poo at the hands of his ideological clone

if only Joe Biden had any prior experience with why a right wing dem in the pocket of his state's biggest industry was a fundamentally useless creature to rely on! no way to see this coming, I guess

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The House passed their version, but the Senate version is almost certain to die.

This will be the first on the record vote for marijuana legalization in the Senate, though.

Wyden, Schumer, and Booker spent a year trying to customize it to address everyone's objections, so this is probably the version that has the chance the of getting the most votes and any Senator who votes "No" is likely going to be impossible to get on board in the future.

https://twitter.com/JarrellTDillard/status/1550058004153880576

Edit:

Biden has Covid.

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/1550124299167547395

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Biden has covid.

Welcome to the kamalaverse

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
lord, you denied us Trump dying of covid, I am just saying, you owe us one

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Biden sucks but it'd kind of be hosed if coivd took him out after not taking Trump out.

probably would give anti-vaxxers fuel as well.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

gently caress off with this bullshit.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I didn't realize yeowch wanted president Harris.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Biden has covid.

Welcome to the kamalaverse

Does Biden have covid, cancer, or both?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean at worst it's kind of a lateral move, right?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Does Biden have covid, cancer, or both?

Just Covid right now.

He had skin cancer that was removed and an aneurism in the late 80's.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just Covid right now.

He had skin cancer that was removed and an aneurism in the late 80's.

TWO aneurysms in the late '80s actually.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean at worst it's kind of a lateral move, right?

It's probably better that the first woman president is Biden's bland liberal VP than Trump's frothing reactionary VP.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

It's a real monkey's paw situation, to be sure.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Everyone paying attention should have already learned the difference between a caucus of 49 and 50 when Breyer retired.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Biden said he had cancer yesterday, who are we to gainsay him

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It's probably better that the first woman president is Biden's bland liberal VP than Trump's frothing reactionary VP.

For all of Pence's many, MANY faults, could you just imagine if the timeline were a year or two later and MTG or Boebert were known enough to be on Trump's radar when he was shopping for a VP? At least Pence put up token resistance to Trump's Coup plan (he's still a horrible monster and I hope this comes off as damning with faint praise)

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
shucks, sure would suck if an old rapist succumbed to being ancient with illnesses

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

World Famous W posted:

shucks, sure would suck if an old rapist succumbed to being ancient with illnesses

to repeat, it'd be hosed up karmically for it to kill the old rapist who was vaccinated but not the one who wasn't, who is also supremely unhealthy otherwise.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'll take one over none

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tax cuts and jobs act for one

Edit: lol nevermind someone else gave the same example and you moved the goalposts because you never defined what you consider "major" in the first place.

amy coney barrett was unanimously opposed by dems. kavanaugh was 50-48 with 1 dem voting for him. gorsuch had 3 dems vote for him, but the tally was 54-45, so their votes didn't matter

Very successful stonewalling by the Dems as all of those justices strip away rights

In truth, Trump was far more successful at derailing the Republican plans than the Dems were. Trump routinely blew up deals with tweetstorms whenever he'd get mad about something and just torpedo the entire thing by getting his voters rallied against it. I'm pretty sure even McCain killing their Obamacare repeal at the last second was the result of Trump attacking him for months at that point

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 21, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

mrchoupon posted:

When I worked for the local school district IT department there was a separate union for support staff. We were distinct from the teachers but still part of the NEA.

Of course after I left the new CIO managed to convince most employees to become unrepresented and (allegedly) pressured/forced out anyone who stayed in a union represented position. I’m glad I left before that because there’s no way in hell I would’ve switched to a non-union job. He felt that since he put in extra unpaid hours to get ahead when he was first starting out everyone else should too. gently caress that.

At least in the area I'm from, it was something that wasn't even presented as an option, so I'm glad to know I'm wrong on this at least for some places in the country.

When I worked school district IT, myself and several other people got laid off when it came time to recontract and the administration explicitly blamed the teachers union holding out for too much money - trying to drive a wedge between the teachers and everyone else. It just seemed like a scummy tactic from the Admin to layoff your IT, cooks, and maintenance staff as a way to punish the teachers.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 21, 2022

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

do you not? imagine another incoherent speech bookended by weird laughter every day, it's fantastic

as long as the president's not going to do poo poo, they might as well entertain us

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

Tax cuts and jobs act for one

Edit: lol nevermind someone else gave the same example and you moved the goalposts because you never defined what you consider "major" in the first place.

Very successful stonewalling by the Dems as all of those justices strip away rights

In truth, Trump was far more successful at derailing the Republican plans than the Dems were. Trump routinely blew up deals with tweetstorms whenever he'd get mad about something and just torpedo the entire thing by getting his voters rallied against it. I'm pretty sure even McCain killing their Obamacare repeal at the last second was the result of Trump attacking him for months at that point

I didn't object to it being called major, I questioned the claim of it's popularity. Passing a single major bill in 10 years doesn't make much of a case that the republican legislative agenda isn't being effectively opposed.

do you not? imagine another incoherent speech bookended by weird laughter every day, it's fantastic

as long as the president's not going to do poo poo, they might as well entertain us

in my ideal world we would never have another entertaining president ever again

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

This tax cut and jobs act? Gallup:

Does this actually address anything? A piece of passed legislation can be major (accomplishes what you want it to) without also being popular with the general public, so I'm not sure how posting a Gallup poll in response means anything. Obamacare was a piece of major legislation that had bad polling with the general public, at least when asked about under that name rather than the individual components.

Randalor posted:

For all of Pence's many, MANY faults, could you just imagine if the timeline were a year or two later and MTG or Boebert were known enough to be on Trump's radar when he was shopping for a VP? At least Pence put up token resistance to Trump's Coup plan (he's still a horrible monster and I hope this comes off as damning with faint praise)

Wasn't there a story about Reince Priebus stranding Trump's plan on a tarmac until he agreed to pick Pence? I swear I remember that story but I can't find anything about it now.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Following up on their recent marriage equality legislation, the House just passed the Right to Contraception Act.

All House Democrats and 8 House Republicans supported Americans right to contraception/birth control.
https://twitter.com/BillPascrell/status/1550146164217061377
No doubt all those R's that voted "Nay" have a good explanation for their decision. All the luck to them in fitting that explanation into a sound byte while they're getting drilled with "Republicans don't think you should be allowed to buy condoms", over and over in their midterm races.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 21, 2022

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

At least in the area I'm from, it was something that wasn't even presented as an option, so I'm glad to know I'm wrong on this at least for some places in the country.

When I worked school district IT, myself and several other people got laid off when it came time to recontract and the administration explicitly blamed the teachers union holding out for too much money - trying to drive a wedge between the teachers and everyone else. It just seemed like a scummy tactic from the Admin to layoff your IT, cooks, and maintenance staff as a way to punish the teachers.

Gross. That’s a common tactic unfortunately even when both groups are unionized, but thankfully no one bites around here and it usually ends up with both unions collaborating on picketing/protests/etc. The district I work in has a “if teachers get a raise, so does CSEA” clause in the CSEA contract which I think is great, makes sure we’re not totally leaving them in the dust although they still don’t get paid enough imo

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

Following up on their recent marriage equality legislation, the House just passed the Right to Contraception Act.

All House Democrats and 8 House Republicans supported Americans right to contraception/birth control.

It's weird seeing dems forcing republicans to actually vote on stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

-Blackadder- posted:

I have a general rule of thumb, where if something makes the Republicans look cartoonishly evil or if there's some news I would really want to be true (or conversely would be horrified if it were true), then I should be skeptical and investigate further. Following that rule, I looked into this.

No, there's no added context or explanation needed, there's no poison pill to point to and go "yeah but the Democrats also stuck this other unrelated thing into the bill to force Republicans to vote against it for the headline", no its pretty clean. The Feds forbid states from ever banning any of the commonly used forms of birth control, and a ton of Republicans vote no. The best they can come up with is that the bill is unnecessary. OK, so what, loving vote for it anyway you tool.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 21, 2022