Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys, I’m saving up for a new car, I’m considering getting the hyundai Kona N hot hatch, reviews seem positive but my main worry seems to be how the suspension will handle daily driving on not perfect streets, any of you ever drive or use one? What are your impressions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys, I’m saving up for a new car, I’m considering getting the hyundai Kona N hot hatch, reviews seem positive but my main worry seems to be how the suspension will handle daily driving on not perfect streets, any of you ever drive or use one? What are your impressions?

it’ll probably be leagues better than my Fiesta ST on the busted-rear end streets of Metro Boston

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Al-Saqr posted:

I drove one, it drives stiffer than my GTI, but I have adjustable suspension and use the comfort setting all the time. It isn't anything terrible though, it seemed fine for normal daily driving and was fun as hell. I also think it looks great, though was a bit smaller than my car while sitting higher. I would not hesitate to buy one for a daily driver.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Al-Saqr posted:

I test drove one last weekend and the Normal setting felt fine for daily driving. My fiance is considering one and I wanted to see if it was too Sports Car for her.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I put over 5K miles in mine so far, the suspension is...ok enough. Highest setting feels pointlessly hard (outside of maybe perfect track conditions?), but the low and middle are usable day to day. I'd say the low is stiff but can still be bouncy, while the middle is maybe a little stiffer but the noticeable difference is that it basically dampens out the bounciness.

Otherwise whatever quick initial impressions I had are in one of my posts a few months back, and current impressions are still good. Still would've liked the better option spec that's available elsewhere, but otherwise yeah, can't think of any major complaints that'd make me want anything else, particularly for the price.

Well the gas mileage isn't so hot but at least prices aren't as bad as a few weeks ago :smithicide:. Longer highway driving I get about 25-30 MPG US (and a little more on really long steady road trip drives), like 18-22 on surface streets, total average around 22-23. For comparison in my 08 Cooper S I think I got about 3-5 MPG more.

Edit: just got back from a drive and was reminded of the brake squeal. Supposedly some brake lube like Permatex helps there…or just brake a bit hard or light enough that you’re out of that squeal sweet spot.

japtor fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 18, 2022

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
as a dude who dailies a fiesta st in rural michigan, you'll be fine. (downsizing the wheels for more sidewall helps with comfort if you are really really sensitive to vibrating rear end syndrome)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/ODN00DfEK-U

:swoon:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I would 100% get that civic type R if they had a DCT transmission, sadly I’m a complete weenie and can’t handle manual. That car looks super cool.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I think it looks substantially worse than the previous generation-- but I liked the widebody fender look.

I do like the Kia Stinger-looking taillights.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

My biggest issue with the new civic designs is that they’re… how should I put it… really plain and boring line wise

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

They went from one extreme to the next. Over the top to underwhelming lol

That being said I like this one better than over the top for sure.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I dunno, I don’t mind it. It doesn’t scream aggressive, but it also has some sporty styling.

I just wish they wouldn’t call their sport backs “hatches”. Hondas notorious for this now.

e: kinda looks roughly like a bmw 3 series of the past few gens.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Al-Saqr posted:

My biggest issue with the new civic designs is that they’re… how should I put it… really plain and boring line wise

hondas are supposed to be boring looking

i am super in to it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yeah I think it looks great, I also really appreciated the full-on Gundam homage they did with the last one

If this isn’t 1) MSRP-expensive as poo poo 2) marked up to hell by dealers then it’s functionally killed the new Integra before that model even has a chance to re-establish itself, unless the Integra Type S/Type R are like miles ahead (which they won’t be).

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hondas are supposed to be boring looking

i am super in to it
They type-r was never boring looking. I like this car, but I like the over the top one way better.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bring back the Accord Type R Honda, you cowards!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Enos Cabell posted:

Bring back the Accord Type R Honda, you cowards!

Havent they done that, just called it a civic instead?! Like isn’t the civic now bigger than 20 year old accords?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

TheBacon posted:

Havent they done that, just called it a civic instead?! Like isn’t the civic now bigger than 20 year old accords?

Kind of. The current civic is the size of my S60R, which is about 8” shorter than its contemporary accord sedan.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rusty posted:

They type-r was never boring looking. I like this car, but I like the over the top one way better.

All the Type-R's before the last Civic one were pretty boring to be honest. Front bumper, wheels, and a spoiler. And it was cool and good. The last one took it so far over the top. This one looks way better and it still has flared fenders and all that, it just hides them well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, they did the Type-R right this time. I just can't get over the MK7 Jetta looking front end that the entire generation of Civic shares.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Yeah no, I prefer the FK8 over this new one. The taillights and rear bumper look better but everything else just makes it look like a knockoff 4th gen WRX.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The bottom of the wing has some interesting stuff going on.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 21, 2022

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

fknlo posted:

All the Type-R's before the last Civic one were pretty boring to be honest. Front bumper, wheels, and a spoiler. And it was cool and good. The last one took it so far over the top. This one looks way better and it still has flared fenders and all that, it just hides them well.
The FK2 was pretty nuts looking too, so the last 7 years at least.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Kind of. The current civic is the size of my S60R, which is about 8” shorter than its contemporary accord sedan.

I was thinking gen before that I think like late 90s early 00s

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The new civics look super boring but they also solved all my gripes with the interior. FK8 looks awesome but lol at the thought of spending that much money to sit inside what feels like a $15,000 car

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

TheBacon posted:

I was thinking gen before that I think like late 90s early 00s

A 2000 accord sedan is still 6” longer than the Volvo.

A 1995 accord sedan is still 2” longer than the Volvo.

The Volvo, to me, is a big car. This explains why when I test drove a 2015-ish accord recently it felt positively massive. I had a 2019 Si sedan and it felt large for a Civic but not awkwardly so.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 22, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah the accord is a big boi

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah the accord is a big boi

;-* love that large fwd 2.0 Honda Audi A7

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Had to change my brake light in my mk 6 gti yesterday. What a pain in the rear end compared to literally every other light I've had to change that was like 3 seconds of "unplug thing, replace bulb, replug thing"

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man accords just never felt that big to me, I remember seeing them all over growing up and not thinking they were that big, especially compared to current gen civics, the last gen or two look massive to me.

Okay ya the new civic is like only 4 inches shorter than 20 year old accords and the same size as the mid 90s ones. That feels about right. And like 10-20 inches longer than the 20-25 year old civics

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 23, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Man accords just never felt that big to me, I remember seeing them all over growing up and not thinking they were that big, especially compared to current gen civics, the last gen or two look massive to me.

Okay ya the new civic is like only 4 inches shorter than 20 year old accords and the same size as the mid 90s ones. That feels about right. And like 10-20 inches longer than the 20-25 year old civics

I grew up with a 2000 Accord and learned to drive in it and that thing was like marginally larger feeling than my Fiesta

Edit: I mean, definitely wider feeling.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

I grew up with a 2000 Accord and learned to drive in it and that thing was like marginally larger feeling than my Fiesta

Edit: I mean, definitely wider feeling.

And yet that Accord is almost 30” longer than a modern Fiesta.

My current cars are:

1994 Del Sol - 157”
2015 Fit - 160”
2001 S2000 - 162”
2002 Civic Si - 165”
2020 Escape - 181”
2007 S60R - 182”

All shorter than a 2000 Accord. The escape is the only one noticeably bigger in any dimension (height), since my Fit is lowered. Honda does a good job on making the accord feel good, but I guess I just like my cars smaller; easier to park and fit more of them at home.

I like the accord, but if I wanted to swap one of my garaged cars with a really nice one like an EXL V6 coupe, it simply wouldn’t fit inside.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 23, 2022

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I do love that you can still special order a manual transmission for your Accord (well, you could last year when I last checked), sadly only on the lowest engine spec of course.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm getting my GTI tinted in a couple weeks. The shop suggested 35%. I looked online and watched a couple videos but it can be hard to tell. I just want to cut the heat and glare, but I don't want to have a hard time driving at night or attract police attention or make it too difficult for cyclists and pedestrians to see that I can see them. Is 35% a good middle ground for that?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have 15% on my car and it's fine and legal and have never had the cops question it. Just see what the legal limits of your state is.

Other than that it's personal preference, I like it darker for better security. But if you want people to see you better keep it lighter obviously.

As far as night time driving it's not a problem at all. 35% will have zero impact on your night vision.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I am considering a tint for the Golf because one of the things I like is all the glass and visibility but that turns it in to a loving sauna in the summer.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The tint I got helps enormously with the sun, it's great, I got 35 I believe and it's dark enough it doesn't look like a fish bowl anymore but also light enough the cops don't notice. I think it's a bit darker than the state law but only because of the added in default tint of the windows themselves.

Before and after:

Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 27, 2022

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I have 20% on the EP3 and the Fit and i love it; looks good and definitely cuts some of the heat without sacrificing visibility. The S2000 had 5% when I bought it and it’s a bit dark but I won’t change it now.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've tinted most of my cars and have settled on 30% as my go-to. Dark enough to make a nice difference in the sun and reduction in fishbowl effect, not dark enough to limit visibility at night or draw police attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Not bad, maybe a bit darker than I want to go but it looks like you get plenty of light through it.

e: left window open, this is in reference to Rusty's GTI 35%. I don't care to go any darker than that.