Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

1stGear posted:

While the near future of the genre is a wasteland, Palia still exists and isn't massively overpromising or run by an MLM scammer. They havent officially announced a release date, but it'll probably by mid-late 2023.

Bookmarking this. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I thought Palia was an NFT game? Good news if not.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
it is not, at least no signs of it in the alpha

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Cutedge posted:

I'm not sure he even was alleged to do anything. It was all random people on the internet who started talking about how he was guilty of sexual assault because I don't know I think he was in a group photo or something?

Yeah but the group photo is with a huge photo of Bill Cosby inside the alleged "cosby suite"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I know a couple people who work on Palia and people ask them about NFTs so much (and they say they'll never do NFTs so much) that it's become an internal joke where people will add an "NFTs!" slide to random powerpoints

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

1stGear posted:

While the near future of the genre is a wasteland, Palia still exists and isn't massively overpromising or run by an MLM scammer. They havent officially announced a release date, but it'll probably by mid-late 2023.

the blog post on monetization almost seems too good to be true. it's a real good approach from the perspective of the user but i hope it also ends up being sustainable.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Palia's twitter recently started vaguely mentioning beta testing again, so may be another one on the horizon:

https://twitter.com/playPalia/status/1546583989774721024

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I really hope Pallia is good.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

LLSix posted:

I hope it can function without lovely monetization schemes.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
looks like they're only selling cosmetics. Signed up!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LLSix posted:

It won't be!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Don’t make me tap the thread title.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mode 7 posted:

Don’t make me tap the thread title.

My mind immediately went there.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Actually I'm thoroughly owned because I could have sworn the title was "there will never be a good MMO ever again" and turns out I've been misreading it for years.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's a betteridge's law type situation

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Hra Mormo posted:

Not gonna lie if they just made WoW without everything being based on engagement metrics and trying to force you to play every day, I'd probably play it.

Got bad news about riot

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

an iksar marauder posted:

Got bad news about riot

Pretty much yeah. :/

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Hra Mormo posted:

Not gonna lie if they just made WoW without everything being based on engagement metrics and trying to force you to play every day, I'd probably play it.

squenix did but half of this website has an inexplicable grudge against japanese media based on something they saw in a blockbuster video's back room in 2004

unless the problem is the story barrier, in which case yeah hard to get around that one

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
why do ffxiv players have such a persecution complex? It's the most popular MMO in the world right now, calm down.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
hey, i admitted the story is probably a stumbling block for anyone who bounced off it! that wasn't ironic, that's just how it goes

the first bit is definitely true and not just for ff14 though lmao

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

squenix did but half of this website has an inexplicable grudge against japanese media based on something they saw in a blockbuster video's back room in 2004

unless the problem is the story barrier, in which case yeah hard to get around that one

:dafuq:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the best part of ffxiv is that u can be a healer with floating laser drones and one of your cooldowns is a combination healing/damage kamehameha

the worst part of ffxiv is that you need to level to 70 on a lesser job first

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
It’s also a game in which you interact with 3/7 other people at most

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Also, and I say that as a person with more than 1000 hours played and that loves the game for many reasons. The combat in ffxiv is pretty bad. The long gcd, the now dumbed down healing rotations, and for non healing classes, with a few exceptions, very strict(static might be a better word) skill rotations make it all feel pretty bad.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

endwalker lets me teleport with a scythe and do a 'nothing personnel kid' on mobs so that's cool

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Pigbottom posted:

Also, and I say that as a person with more than 1000 hours played and that loves the game for many reasons. The combat in ffxiv is pretty bad. The long gcd, the now dumbed down healing rotations, and for non healing classes, with a few exceptions, very strict(static might be a better word) skill rotations make it all feel pretty bad.

Yeah I tried a black mage and bounced when I realized the v basic rotation I learned at 20ish was going to be the same all game long. I also hated needing to wait in dps queues for instances to keep the story going, but I heard that’s changed. I totally appreciate why so many people like ffxiv and I’m glad it’s doing so well but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

an iksar marauder posted:

It’s also a game in which you interact with 3/7 other people at most

I quit after rushing to 30 when it had been almost entirely a single player experience. I'm also not interested in there being a story in an MMO so that didn't hook me either.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's also basically zero sense of exploration and when you're done with the story there's no real reason to be anywhere besides the expansion hub. All the zones being sectioned off by load screens also just makes it even less interesting.

I remember all the times I was bored in WoW and just traveled all around the world while chatting with friends and it's not something that's really worth doing at all in XIV.

I like XIV but it really lacks basically everything interesting about MMOs as a genre tbh. I like raiding and I like the story but that's all it really has going for it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ffxiv can be fun imo but it definitely leans more towards puzzling out and executing on an explicitly designed choreography than making meaningful cooldown choices

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
all of the upcoming mmo's mentioned in this thread look bad for the same reasons every mmo is bad

in other words, they are all npc murder simulators

enjoy your shite games

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

mmos would be better if you killed people instead. real people

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

enjoy your shite games

Ty I intend to

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

all of the upcoming mmo's mentioned in this thread look bad for the same reasons every mmo is bad

in other words, they are all npc murder simulators

enjoy your shite games

That's why I only play eurotruck and farming simulator.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kevin Bacon posted:

Rip Jack Chick, died before he could make a tract about how MMOs kill people for real with magic.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mister Olympus posted:

Reminds me of my brother complaining about "the stigma against tabletop rpgs" when they've never been more accepted

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I will say that too many MMO's lean on the "kill tens of thousands of dudes and animals" for the meat and potatoes of their content, but most of the ones that tried other routes found out that people get bored when the game is only about growing your own meat and potatoes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I will say that too many MMO's lean on the "kill tens of thousands of dudes and animals" for the meat and potatoes of their content, but most of the ones that tried other routes found out that people get bored when the game is only about growing your own meat and potatoes.

If most economy focused mmos I've seen so far have proven anything it's that people are generally okay with growing potatoes for their primary task until someone named BongLord69 figures out that you can insta-grow potatoes by bugging out the silver star fertilizer and uses it to crash the economy in a week, at the end of which the devs realize they can't roll back the servers so now potatoes are basically worthless and any potato based dish is now entirely priced based on the availability of carrots which skyrocket to such absurd costs that new players are functionally locked out of crafting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kevin Bacon posted:

sao opening intensifies in the distance

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

If most economy focused mmos I've seen so far have proven anything it's that people are generally okay with growing potatoes for their primary task until someone named BongLord69 figures out that you can insta-grow potatoes by bugging out the silver star fertilizer and uses it to crash the economy in a week, at the end of which the devs realize they can't roll back the servers so now potatoes are basically worthless and any potato based dish is now entirely priced based on the availability of carrots which skyrocket to such absurd costs that new players are functionally locked out of crafting.

Most bad MMOs are good until people start playing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Crafting tends to be an afterthought in most mmos anyway. Harvesting is consistently the best source of money from other players, unless your mmo is popular enough to have bots harvesting all day, then your mmo has bigger problems.