Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Marsupial Ape posted:

I have no idea what they will be doing next season, but if they plan to do another time jump it's going to go from alt-history sci-fi to straight up near-future sc-fi. That mean's things can get more...speculative. My lovely Narrative Brain thinks that since we're basically introduced to Chekhov's Space Baby (space fuckin'!), I think a portion of the remaining the season may deal with the ethical and practical implications on conceiving a child on Mars and then bringing it to full term. That's a lot cosmic radiation and microgravity for a fetus to deal with. I could even see it being a set up a story arc concerning the debate about altering humans for space travel in stead of terraforming or investing in complicated toroidal ships. Ed gets inject with medical nanites and Joel Kinnaman doesn't have to wear old man make up anymore.

Star Trek: Edterprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Someone redub the Danny wedding scene with Karen going "wait wtf" as Faith Of The Heart plays.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Senor Tron posted:

Kelly's kid will be born as the symbol of peace between the Americans and Russians, and after focusing on her face we'll get a 200,000 years later cut where the humans on Mars have long since forgotten their roots and are anxiously watching on TV as the first astronaut steps foot on their nearest habitable neighbour, Earth, kicking off a space race between the West Martians and East Martians.

Based on what the story has provided so far, if I was writing this, the rest of the season will involve Kelly having to reveal to Danielle that she is pregnant and wants to keep it (otherwise this is a simple fix...oops, no, that conversation will get hashed out in awful '90s-vocabulary, too). Danielle is like "awesome, you're going back to earth right now, then" because she is the only sane person on Mars. She wants Kelly at least up on the Phoenix where the baby can develop on a semblance of gravity and they have the best facilities if she gives birth on the trip back. Ed does Ed poo poo until he calms and gets his head on straight. Being that he has full control of the Phoenix, Ed announces that they will be heading back to Earth today. He demands that Kelly's Russian fuckboi has to come alone, that causes an internal incident, but Ed gets his one good Ed idea for the season and uses his authority as captain to marry Kelly and Fuckboi. Ta-da, Fuckboi now can apply for asylum or whatever and it be kosher. Meanwhile, Danny continues to do Danny poo poo, and none of that is as fun as Ed poo poo. He does not react well to Ed scrapping the Mars mission. Completely bonkers on pills, Danny screams "you're not my dad" and finally uses his computer back door to hijack the ship. This somehow causes a life and death situation that only Ed can resolve by beating the ever loving poo poo out of Danny and then sacrificing himself like the goddam American hero he is. Margo resolves her plot line by doing Margo poo poo, but it damages all of her personal and work relationships.

That's my what my dumb narrative seeking brain sees, anyway. Trying to figure where to fit in the ultimate revelation of Karen/Danny to Ed without Ed spacing Danny too early to be a threat in the third act.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 20, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Marsupial Ape posted:

Based on what the story has provided so far, if I was writing this, the rest of the season will involve Kelly having to reveal to Danielle that she is pregnant and wants to keep it (otherwise this is a simple fix...oops, no, that conversation will get hashed out in awful '90s-vocabulary, too). Danielle is like "awesome, you're going back to earth right now, then" because she is the only sane person on Mars. She wants Kelly at least up on the Phoenix where the baby can develop on a semblance of gravity and they have the best facilities if she gives birth on the trip back. Ed does Ed poo poo until he calms and gets his head on straight. Being that he has full control of the Phoenix, Ed announces that they will be heading back to Earth today. He demands that Kelly's Russian fuckboi has to come alone, that causes an internal incident, but Ed gets his one good Ed idea for the season and uses his authority as captain to marry Kelly and Fuckboi. Ta-da, Fuckboi now can apply for asylum or whatever and it be kosher. Meanwhile, Danny continues to do Danny poo poo, and none of that is as fun as Ed poo poo. He does not react well to Ed scrapping the Mars mission. Completely bonkers on pills, Danny screams "you're not my dad" and finally uses his computer back door to hijack the ship. This somehow causes a life and death situation that only Ed can resolve by beating the ever loving poo poo out of Danny and then sacrificing himself like the goddam American hero he is. Margo resolves her plot line by doing Margo poo poo, but it damages all of her personal and work relationships.

That's my what my dumb narrative seeking brain sees, anyway. Trying to figure where to fit in the ultimate revelation of Karen/Danny to Ed without Ed spacing Danny too early to be a threat in the third act.
Space abortion is going to be unironically the best direction they can take this

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

TIP posted:

It's true, Mars ain't the kind of place to raise a kid.

I hear it’s cold as hell. Might even be a fact or something idk.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Vegetable posted:

Space abortion is going to be unironically the best direction they can take this

Besides being incredibly relevant, I have no idea how the plot would go after that and that's awesome.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Being that he has full control of the Phoenix, Ed announces that they will be heading back to Earth today.

I don't think this would be possible without incredibly serendipitous timing. I think there are only certain windows when it works out right with the orbital mechanics.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I only support gay space abortions

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

TIP posted:

I don't think this would be possible without incredibly serendipitous timing. I think there are only certain windows when it works out right with the orbital mechanics.

I was describing in great swaths. It would be more like "ok, starting today our mission is pulling up stakes and leaving for earth as soon we are able. Be ready." Obviously, there's a loss of urgency in the message.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TIP posted:

Yup. With nuclear engines you would have a lot more options and might be able to do the trip at any point in the orbit, but the Phoenix is using regular old metholox chemical rockets so it has to use the standard windows. You can stay at Mars for about a month then come right back, or you're there for a year and a half.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Someone being there for a year and a half would be interesting and could become a thing. I imagine food/water would become an issue unless it happened so suddenly they left almost all the food/water they had and went back to Earth using the bare minimum, allowing for someone to stay there for an extended period.

But then we start getting into The Martian thing, except voluntary (or not?). One person having to do all the upkeep on stuff that probably wasn't designed to last longer than a month.

Four episodes left and there is so much that could happen. We gotta start seeing the end result of all this in the next episode or two, with the maybe a last minute cliffhanger tossed in. But they usually start setting the events up early, kind of like what they are doing with Margo and Sergei.

Edit: I would find it kind of hilarious if, instead of Ed sending Danny out the airlock, he "forgot" Danny on Mars and, well wouldn't you know, we can't make another landing. So long Danny, good luck. Then next season, assuming Danny didn't survive, they find an emaciated, crazy Danny who survived entirely off of Mars water and bacteria.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 20, 2022

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

ShowTime posted:

Edit: I would find it kind of hilarious if, instead of Ed sending Danny out the airlock, he "forgot" Danny on Mars and, well wouldn't you know, we can't make another landing. So long Danny, good luck. Then next season, assuming Danny didn't survive, they find an emaciated, crazy Danny who survived entirely off of Mars water and bacteria.

I unironically hope this is the plot.

I too hope poo poo starts to wrap up. The politics side doesn't interest me and hopefully they keep that stuff light. A whole episode of "yeah yeah humans on Mars but I gotta deal with this bad press getting leaked about my 'husband'" would be boring. This show hasn't pulled stuff like that before so hopefully its able to avoid it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I unironically hope this is the plot.

It seems very unlikely.

As if Ed would pass up the chance to be the first person to be stranded on Mars :colbert:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ShowTime posted:

they find an emaciated, crazy Danny

so they find Danny his usual self, but emaciated

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

It seems very unlikely.

As if Ed would pass up the chance to be the first person to be stranded on Mars :colbert:

IDK he didn't love being the first person stranded on the moon.

Something else is happening with Danny tho, cuz the guy who came out is gonna take a swing at being the first permanent human resident on Mars. gently caress outta here with your earth laws.

Wafflecopper posted:

so they find Danny his usual self, but emaciated

Or suspiciously well fed, and missing a neighbor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DamnGlitch posted:

IDK he didn't love being the first person stranded on the moon.

Ed: Doesn't count, there were Russians on the moon at the time too.... if you can count them as people :mad:"

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla
The mission was always supposed to be two years, so we’ll definitely get a Mars baby.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Jerusalem posted:

Ed: Doesn't count, there were Russians on the moon at the time too.... if you can count them as people :mad:"

I trust that Ed has matured enough to accept his biracial grandchild. And by 'biracial' I mean 'half-commie'.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

I trust that Ed has matured enough to accept his biracial grandchild. And by 'biracial' I mean 'half-commie'.

Sneak-peek from Season 4:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

two for two goddamn man haha

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The teaser at the end of s2 said '1995' and this is all 94 so maybe the boot we saw is a one year old baby going for a toddle. :3:

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
We’re approaching some domestic terrorist incidents…, Oklahoma City bombing, World Trade Center bombing, and Waco too. Will angry petrochemical protesters try to blow up a Helium 3 shipment at a NASA facility (or something they think is one)? That could get Margo and the ground crew involved in the physical jeopardy for once.

Would this save Ellen’s presidency, since gay sex scandals pale in comparison to terrorism, or doom it, as she was “distracted” and missed the chance to stop it…

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
We're actually past Waco and the first WTC bombing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
But the Olympics bombing is in a couple years.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So in a FAM inspired Google rabbit hole and reading more about the Soviet shootdown of the Korean Air 747. I wasn't familiar with the plane that shot it down, the Sukhoi-15, so I googled that and this book was one of the top results:

WTF is wrong with Russian....Jesus.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Simple, they stopped being the USSR

Revisionism smdh

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sch posted:

The mission was always supposed to be two years, so we’ll definitely get a Mars baby.

I would have to imagine that NASA packed abortion pills just in case. You can still get some drama out of that though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

I would have to imagine that NASA packed abortion pills just in case. You can still get some drama out of that though.

They could probably start up a whole debate about that. The 90s is when the whole abortion debate was starting back up and Republicans started courting single issue voters.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
As a literal biologist, you would think that the character of Kelly would know better than to conceive a child on Mars. FAM astronauts are so much more unpredictable and spontaneous than real-life astronauts. I guess you need that to make a compelling drama.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Rental Sting posted:

As a literal biologist, you would think that the character of Kelly would know better than to conceive a child on Mars. FAM astronauts are so much more unpredictable and spontaneous than real-life astronauts. I guess you need that to make a compelling drama.

I mean... we get to see a lot more of what's actually happening because it's a show. To regular people on earth in the show they probably don't seem much different to how we perceive astronauts.

Also... Lisa Nowak.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
you better believe if given the opportunity to say that I was the first person to gently caress on another planet that I’d take it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Drill a hole and be the first to gently caress another planet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

[Arnold voice] Give your nut to Mars.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Grand Fromage posted:

Drill a hole and be the first to gently caress another planet.

Dalton Wilcox, poet laureate of Mars

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

TIP posted:

You must buy your mission commander at least as much jewelry as you buy your rover and other poems and observations, humorous and otherwise, from a 2 year mission in valles marineris

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Steamy greenhouse broken-AC Mars sex is why I tuned in in the first place

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

TIP posted:

I just remembered that Helios wanted to send a poet but Ed nixed it. There's still time for a stowaway Andy Daly to fall out of an air vent, put a cowboy hat on over his space suit, and gently caress that hole Danny drilled.

Would be a good moment to end the season on.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
All the space agencies are so weird about space sex. They don't even wanna talk about it. Not even space masturbation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Letterkenny already covered space masturbation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Rental Sting posted:

All the space agencies are so weird about space sex. They don't even wanna talk about it. Not even space masturbation.

You mean my years of intense physical conditioning was for nothing?