Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

galenanorth posted:

This is going to be a very dumb post. Putting the new cooler in with the correct orientation didn't work, and it wasn't any better than before. I tried removing the fan not between the heatsinks and that made it worse, like 10 degrees hotter. I cut two of the zip-ties holding the wires together and still couldn't get them to move very far. I think it might just be that they're too taut to move. However, I spent hours cleaning the original stock cooler by removing dust bunnies with a toothpick. Then I used alcohol wipes on the exterior, then I cleaned off the old thermal paste and put it back in with new thermal paste on the CPU. Before, I was only kinda cleaning some of the top surface beneath the fans with a dry paper towel without taking it out. At baseline when the CPU is fluctuating at its lowest, the lowest number I see with the stock cooler is 4C lower than before. When I do the same A Hat in Time starting area test as before (82% CPU usage), the CPU quad core now runs at 50C/55C/51C/52C, 35 degrees C cooler than before, with 66C for the GPU.

Are you installing the cooler without taking the motherboard out of the case? Because from the photos you posted, it looks kind of cramped in there as is, and I feel like attempting to seat the tower style cooler you have without removing the motherboard first would lead to a bad mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Yeah...I'm going to return it to Amazon now that the stock cooler is working well enough. I'm not committed enough to keep trying. Thank you all for your advice and all the time you've spent.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Erm, yeah, I think there's been a miscommunication of some kind. Flash drive != hard drive. Portable HDDs are cheap, but they are not flash drives. When you said that, I thought you meant like a USB thumb drive, which is what you'll find when searching for "flash drive" on best buy. In common usage, "flash drives" are USB sticks while external SSDs (and HDDs) are larger devices that connect with a cable. If all you need is a simple external drive and it doesn't need to be fast, then yeah, you can get 1TB HDDs for less than $50. External SSDs will generally be more reliable than external HDDs since there are no mechanical parts to gently caress up (which can happen more easily with external drives that may get moved around while in use), but they come at a premium. Thumb sticks are the most expensive because they have to miniaturize everything to an ultra small form factor.

Sorry for the confusion earlier.

Rexxed posted:

I see a post about flash drives, which are different from hard drives. Hard drives have spinning disks that get magnetically written to while flash drives have banks of flash memory chips that data is written to. 1TB hard disks are about 50 bucks but 1TB flash drives (or SSDs, really) are 100 (plus or minus depending on what you're looking at for interface and features).

Rinkles posted:

For HDDs? That would be expensive, whether internal or external.

Even (internal) SSDs routinely go for less. External usually probably for a bit more, but I see Best Buy has an EasyStore SSD for $95 atm.

late response, but yeah, seems i confused myself actually, haha. i accidentally did conflate flash drives with external drives. apologies!

Intelligibility
Apr 8, 2011

Get shovel!
Ok so this is what I´m gonna go with I think:

New components:

8GB INNO3D GeForce RTX 3070 Twin X2 LHR GDDR6 256-bit 3xDP+HDMI - 568€

Corsair 4000D Airflow Midi Tower - 89€

650 Watt Seasonic Focus GX Modular 80+ Gold - 82€

1TB WD Blue SN570 NVMe - 84€

Reused parts:

B450 Tomahawk max + Ryzen 3600 + 2x 8GB DDR4 + 250GB Samsung SSD

Looking ok?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Intelligibility posted:

Ok so this is what I´m gonna go with I think:

New components:

8GB INNO3D GeForce RTX 3070 Twin X2 LHR GDDR6 256-bit 3xDP+HDMI - 568€

Corsair 4000D Airflow Midi Tower - 89€

650 Watt Seasonic Focus GX Modular 80+ Gold - 82€

1TB WD Blue SN570 NVMe - 84€

Reused parts:

B450 Tomahawk max + Ryzen 3600 + 2x 8GB DDR4 + 250GB Samsung SSD

Looking ok?

Case only comes with 2 fans. You will want to add a 3rd 120mm in the front and a 120mm in the rear. You mobo does have 4 fan headers.

The fans that come with the case are not PWM: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-4000x-4000d-airflow-review/3

They are the standard voltage controlled fans that have a 1300rpm top end. So you can shop for that or get 4 matching PWM fans and toss the included ones.

IDK if your motherboard can mix and match fan voltage modes.

https://www.cgdirector.com/pwm-dc-system-fans/

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

To be honest, the two fans the case comes with would probably be sufficient. I'd only worry about getting more fans if you're unhappy with the stock performance.

But if you do want more fans, then the fan upgrade I generally recommend for air-cooled setups in the 4000D is buying this 5-pack, taking out the old fans, and putting three of the new ones in the front, one in the rear, and the last in the top-rear. Do not populate the other top slot with a fan.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 21, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so just a general question i've had for a long time: what part of the PC building process seems like the most difficult/tedious? from what i've seen of the many videos researching this topic, it looks like attaching the CPU fans pretty much every single time.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Mr Interweb posted:

so just a general question i've had for a long time: what part of the PC building process seems like the most difficult/tedious? from what i've seen of the many videos researching this topic, it looks like attaching the CPU fans pretty much every single time.

For me it is getting the power all plugged in to the mobo slots and video card.
And for whatever reason it seems like they are never long enough.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Cable routing

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

The fan holders for D15 are surprisingly terrible to work with once the cooler is inside the case. I had to make a hook with a paperclip and then pull that with some pliers. You just cant get your hands between the cooler and the top of the case everz

Some other frustrations:

- Closing the back if you didn’t manage cables.
- The front panel connector.
- Finding that screw you dropped.
- The multiple 90 degree bends my thick PSU cables can barley do.
- needing to buy an extension because something is one inch too short.
- cable management + AIOs

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

To be honest, the two fans the case comes with would probably be sufficient. I'd only worry about getting more fans if you're unhappy with the stock performance.

True, but if they want more fans I figured they should know they aren’t pwm if their mobo wants them all in the same mode.

I think a lot of people looking at that case will end up with 3 fans in the front eventually.

If no other reason then OCD haha.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 21, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Greetings, thread, I was hoping for some advice and a chance to show off these computers. I was at a thrift store and they had a box of assorted hardware, including what I thought were terminals, so I snapped up the whole box for $20. But they turned out to be complete computers, complete with OS (NT 6.4) and really nice touch screens, USB 3, etc. My point is, I wish to back up the OS, install Windows 10 on them, and was kind of wondering if there may be any wisdom available to me here, or perhaps another thread?

You want to see them? I think they're really cool.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

spunkshui posted:

- The multiple 90 degree bends my thick PSU cables can barley do.

yeah power/SATA cables were an unexpected PITA

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When you start downloading installers on your your new PC build before your get around to fixing the system clock

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Mr Interweb posted:

Tedious, for sure cable management. It's better these days with a lot of cases but it's still the busy-work.

Difficult, uh... None of it's that difficult when things go right, but troubleshooting sucks when the PC won't turn on. So many variables. If you're lucky you forgot to plug in a power cable, oops. If you're unlucky, a part came to you bad and it's not easy to figure out quickly if you don't have alternates to swap in (GPUs sometimes, power supplies). If you're slightly cursed something either failed after working properly initially (had two NVME drives croak on me within three days of installation on this build, that fuckin' sucked), or is "sort of" working but deeply unstable or even in a deteriorating state of functionality right off the bat. You get past the easy troubleshooting and sometimes you still have a day or more of dicking around before you can figure out what's really wrong. The feeling that sets in "oh, poo poo, did I waste my money? Did I ruin these pricey components?" is harrowing.

I'll vote one for scariest too: seating god drat Intel CPUs into the socket. Giving me anxiety because it only ever feels like too much force since the first time I did it back in the 2000s. Used to be mounting CPU coolers could be dicey but these days mounting hardware tends to be well-designed and not too tough to get right, although it is still seemingly a trouble spot for some new builders based on all the reports of unusually high temps that likely indicate an improper mount or bad thermal paste application at the least.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 21, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

32GB of Kingston Fury DDR5-5200 for $100 when bought with an MSI Pro Z690-A or MSI Z690 Edge.

Supposedly, Kingston favors SK Hynix for their memory kits, whose memory modules can overclock to 6000 and above. Though I have a feeling anything with an XMP profile this low will be Micron, which tends to top out at around 5400 or so. Still, DDR5-5400 would be at least as good as equivalently priced DDR4-3200 kits in most scenarios, especially if you can tighten the timings a bit over stock.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Mr Interweb posted:

First PC I ever assembled myself, the one I'm using right now, the worst was managing the PSU cables, Corsair, my fingers were almost raw by the time I was done, also managed to snap the end of a SATA cable trying to get it into the MB connector. Honorable mention goes to the CPU where I was on the verge of sweating bullets as I lowered it onto the MB and seated it, knowing full well how fragile the pins are.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Remembering to put the IO panel in the back of the case before installing the motherboard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ardryn posted:

First PC I ever assembled myself, the one I'm using right now, the worst was managing the PSU cables, Corsair, my fingers were almost raw by the time I was done, also managed to snap the end of a SATA cable trying to get it into the MB connector. Honorable mention goes to the CPU where I was on the verge of sweating bullets as I lowered it onto the MB and seated it, knowing full well how fragile the pins are.

I had to re-paste my CPU half a dozen times (partially cause the corsair cooler was crap) partially because I hosed up the cooler alignment and you're not supposed use the same paste after its had contact with the CPU (because of possible bubbles or whatever, it's probably not that a big deal).

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
so first

oh my god RGB LEDs are such a PITA to work with. Apparently "LEDs" are a just a system thing altogether, so the Mystic Light software conflicts with my Corsair keyboard software and tries to control it. Even though MSI doesn't recognize the KB, it still tries to take over... and succeeds with some half-assed attempt. Nothing good, just overwrites a "close enough" color. This is by default, and I think I found how to fix it so it doesn't directly conflict, but what a pain.

And then for whatever reason the "default" is whatever it decides was some most recent at some point in history. Except it's not, so on start-up and shut-down, while the software is obviously not active, it's flickering between what the software wants and what the LEDs think they were last told to do.

And then any 3rd party software, individually, doesn't recognize all my components, so if I go that route there's always something missing.

jfc what a nightmare. To be continued, I suppose, when they can get their poo poo together, as long as I can get it to stick with a color that isn't godawful.

ANYHOW

So back to temperature chat:

I ran Cinebench multi-core and hooo boy:

This was taken after it finished a 10 minute run, so ignore the current temps and look at the "record high" temps (that apparently only have a few minutes of memory).

Most notably: the cpu "package" and core #10 did bounce off 100C at some point, though the charts aren't showing it. "Temp 1" on the motherboard is pretty high as well.

According to 3D Mark, during the "CPU" test in the demo version it only got up to 80C. Don't have any nasty games to stress it out yet so I don't know what real world performance looks like.

For those not keeping score at home, this is a 12700K at stock (or at least what the mobo thinks is stock) with a MSI Z690 Edge Wifi DDR4 and a be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4. XRP is enabled on the RAM, but the CPU should be at whatever factory defaults are for the mobo. Never went through and changed anything, so it's all on "auto." I don't THINK I enabled any "game mode" or whatever stuff.

Case is a Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB with 3x140mm intake in the front and 1x140mm exhaust added in the back.

Ambient room temp was about 25.5C.

So how hosed am I? Some reading I did is that staying under 100C on such an extreme benchmark is probably fine on this chip...? At least with air cooling. Some other reading I did was that anything over 85C is bad even with a CPU-intensive benchmark. So I don't really know what to make of it. I get that this isn't real world, but I'm trying to nip any install issues in the bud before I forget about it and end up having heat problems down the road.

One thing I did see was that apparently the motherboards these days like to set aggressive voltages out of the box... the cinebench score seemed in line with what it should be, if not slightly higher than what google shows, though I can't remember what it was. 22400 or something, I can't remember exactly.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Agreed posted:

Tedious, for sure cable management. It's better these days with a lot of cases but it's still the busy-work.
This might be a sign of getting old and boring but cable management, despite the tedium, has kind of become my favorite part of the build process. It's just so satisfying when you do a really good job at it. Maybe because it's the only part of the process that really has visible results.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

DaveSauce posted:

So how hosed am I? Some reading I did is that staying under 100C on such an extreme benchmark is probably fine on this chip...? At least with air cooling. Some other reading I did was that anything over 85C is bad even with a CPU-intensive benchmark. So I don't really know what to make of it. I get that this isn't real world, but I'm trying to nip any install issues in the bud before I forget about it and end up having heat problems down the road.

You're none hosed. Cinebench multi core is a very demanding AVX benchmark, high temps are to be expected on air.

Modern CPUs have really intricate and sophisticated temperature monitoring with many dispersed sensors to keep track of hot spots way better than years back, when a lot of our sensibilities of how hot CPUs should get were set. Temperatures that were scary 10 or 20 years ago were often reading from just one sensor or from one sensor per core, which was not typically the hottest spot on the whole CPU anyway, so the real temperatures they were seeing at hot spots could be considerably higher - and, the best they could do for thermal protection at the time was to shut things down when it got too hot. In contrast, the algorithms that Intel uses now to thermally protect their CPUs are great and will dynamically reduce clock and power usage to protect the CPU and keep it within their engineered safe operating range even under full load and even while running hot.

I reckon the 12700K is made from the same silicon with the same doping and manufacturing processes in general as the 12900K and 12900KS, just binned a bit lower - Intel lets the 12900KS run at up to 115ºC and apparently that does not kill it. Maybe the 100ºC for 12700K and 12900K are "conservative" in that regard. That said if you are squeamish about the really high temps, you can probably adjust your temperature limit to be lower in the BIOS. You might also consider undervolting the processor, or setting a less aggressive PL1/PL2 to reduce temps further. I personally run my 12900K with a 95ºC max, 190W/205W PL1/PL2 (down from the 12900K's 241W PL2 stock and sky's-the-limit PL2 with motherboard "enhancements"), and undervolt it by about 0.055V, which keeps benchmark temps under 92ºC for me now that summer is here, using a NH-D15. Despite all this it still benches at or above my exectations from reading reviews of the 12900K (27300-27500 multi in r23 on DDR4), really neat processor :)

To be straightforward even 92-95ºC is still above my old head sensibilities of how hot is safe - I'm still kind of living in the land where 72ºC is where you want it at the most and above that is scary, mentally - but it clearly will not hinder function and is well below what Intel has designed these things to take. Probably wise to trust their engineering rather than be, uh, heat superstitious, I guess?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 21, 2022

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

You should be fine, the temps are high but not terrible for running a stress test. If you're really concerned, get HWInfo and check the graph of CPU frequency when running something. That will tell you if your 12700K is thermal throttling, or at least not maintaining maximum boost.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Rinkles posted:

I had to re-paste my CPU half a dozen times (partially cause the corsair cooler was crap) partially because I hosed up the cooler alignment and you're not supposed use the same paste after its had contact with the CPU (because of possible bubbles or whatever, it's probably not that a big deal).

I have an AIO, also Corsair, that I hosed up positioning slightly and had to realign due to the coolant cables coming off it, so uh hearing that I should've scraped and reapplied the paste that it came with is news to me! It seems to be working though as it's been a few years and I did a couple prime95 tests when I finished assembling and installing poo poo and it's never gotten over mid-80s C even under "harsher" normal operations like RPCS3 and video rendering. Though it does tend to stay a little warmer, 57c, than some of the temps I've seen reported in here for idle ryzen 39s, but I keep the pump on "balanced" in iCue and the fans on a custom curve. I will also freely admit it took me an embarrassing amount of time to realize iCue was reporting the fluid temp and not CPU.

I went from an old intel quad core to this rig, and old HDDs to NVMEs, holy poo poo I was just blown away by how much faster everything was for months afterwards.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Mr Interweb posted:

so just a general question i've had for a long time: what part of the PC building process seems like the most difficult/tedious?
deciding to go SFF

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Agreed posted:

You're none hosed. Cinebench multi core is a very demanding AVX benchmark, high temps are to be expected on air.

grack posted:

You should be fine

Good, that's what I wanted to hear! I knew the CPU is better at managing itself these days, but even if the risk of damage is lower running in to a performance wall is still bad.

I'll get some better monitoring software, because the various ways I have out of the box are pretty junky... MSI's software is junk and Corsair's (from the screenshots) is also junk. But ultimately I just wanted to make sure I didn't have some more serious issue that I needed to fix before settling in on this thing.

100C is still pretty wild to me, even under a massive CPU load. I can't remember the exact numbers, but back in the day I feel like going past 70 was danger territory. Idle temps were higher than today, for sure, but full load wasn't even close to "boil water" territory.

Mr Interweb posted:

Used to be installing OS and drivers, because the OS took forever and drivers weren't necessarily easy to find or quick to download.

Last couple builds I'd say... I dunno. Lots of votes for cable routing, but while it takes a bit modern cases make it easy to hide stuff. PATA cables were nearly impossible to make look good and clean. Now I'd probably say mounting the CPU cooler. Getting the thermal paste spread right is kind of a pain, and it's super unnerving to be working around the CPU with giant chunks of metal that need to be tightened down in to the brittle PCB and putting a lot of force against the delicate core.

Still better than the spring loaded heatsinks, though...

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 21, 2022

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The most harrowing experience I've had recently working on a PC: installing the first gen Hyper 212 Evo

The second most harrowing: remounting the same Hyper 212 Evo

Whoever at Cooler Master that's responsible for that mounting kit needs to get trapped back in their book on the Myst island

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
I apologize if this is the wrong place, but I didn't see a thread that looked more relevant. I'm trying to find a KVM switch so that I can easily swap between my work laptop and my desktop pc without having to unplug everything. The ones I've found on amazon/google searching seem to be a mix of 5 star reviews and 1 star "this fried my pc" reviews. I want to avoid the latter so I'm wondering if anybody has any recommendations or past success with any particular model or manufacturer. I'm looking for 3 USB-A and 1 HDMI at least. Thanks!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Man I feel really bad for anyone trying to mix-and-match RGB it sounds terrible.

When I first got super into RGB at the start of the pandemic I heard that software don’t like playing nice with each other so I just want balls deep into corsair since that’s what my keyboard was.

I don’t spend any amount of time dealing with RGB other than having fun playing with pretty lights.

Not only can I do whatever lighting on any device and have them sync with each other but when I fire up a game like Tiny Tina it takes over all my RGB and goes nuts.

Well all my RGB except my EVGA 3080 TI because apparently only Asus is cool enough to figure out how to get their poo poo to work with corsair.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

signalrgb worked fine until it updated last week

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

DaveSauce posted:

Good, that's what I wanted to hear! I knew the CPU is better at managing itself these days, but even if the risk of damage is lower running in to a performance wall is still bad.

I'll get some better monitoring software, because the various ways I have out of the box are pretty junky... MSI's software is junk and Corsair's (from the screenshots) is also junk. But ultimately I just wanted to make sure I didn't have some more serious issue that I needed to fix before settling in on this thing.

100C is still pretty wild to me, even under a massive CPU load. I can't remember the exact numbers, but back in the day I feel like going past 70 was danger territory. Idle temps were higher than today, for sure, but full load wasn't even close to "boil water" territory.

Used to be installing OS and drivers, because the OS took forever and drivers weren't necessarily easy to find or quick to download.

Last couple builds I'd say... I dunno. Lots of votes for cable routing, but while it takes a bit modern cases make it easy to hide stuff. PATA cables were nearly impossible to make look good and clean. Now I'd probably say mounting the CPU cooler. Getting the thermal paste spread right is kind of a pain, and it's super unnerving to be working around the CPU with giant chunks of metal that need to be tightened down in to the brittle PCB and putting a lot of force against the delicate core.

Still better than the spring loaded heatsinks, though...

I like pasting the cpu though. I take my time and get a nice paper thin layer.

RGB added more wires to every build and the RGB shows wires that used to sort of disappear into the black. Also cases went from just having a window to have an entire side made of glass so you also lost some of the ways you could easily hide wires.

My case (corsair 500D) adds a special challenge to cable management: The back panel is also made of glass and only held shut by weak magnets.

You have to strap everything down hardcore because a single cable resting against the glass will push the door open.

It was a lot of work but it is very satisfying to swing open the glass back panel and not see a single wire move.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Remembering to put the IO panel in the back of the case before installing the motherboard.

it's this or reinstalling all your software

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Microcenter has discounted their Asus barebones systems again, in-store only.

$600 for the 3060 Ti, a cheap case, a b550-f strix motherboard, and a 650w bronze psu. https://www.microcenter.com/product/641959/asus-amd-value-barebones-asus-b550-f-rog-strix-gaming-amd-am4-atx-motherboard

$800 for the 3070 ti, a better-looking case, a b550-f strix, a 240mm AIO, and a 750w bronze psu. https://www.microcenter.com/product/646271/asus-bb-amd-performance-2-barebones-pc

$1300 for a 3080 ti, their highest-end case (looks bad imo), an x570-e strix, a fancier 240mm aio ("ryujin" instead of "strix"), and 850w gold psu. https://www.microcenter.com/product/641961/asus-amd-ultimate-barebones-pc-asus-x570-e-rog-strix-gaming-amd-am4-atx-motherboard

The AIOs for the second two aren't listed in the product name or description, but the second one has it listed in the specs and the third one has it listed in the "what's in the box" section of the specs even though the main specs say no cpu cooler is included. Those are strict no-buys if you don't get an AIO with them. Well, the 3080 Ti one is questionable either way (just get a 3080 12GB for $750 or whatever and find everything else separately, imo), but the first and second ones are good values since the individual components are worth more than the bundle price. Even substituting their components with much cheaper alternatives won't give you a better price. You can put together a decent 3070 ti/zen 3 system for less than $1200 with that.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 23, 2022

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
i'm having issues with my build 2 weeks after putting it together. randomly i get massive slowdowns across all applications, chrome, games, discord, it doesn't matter. it takes a long time to change a discord channel or server, load a webpage, or switch tabs. games can't crack 60 fps on 1080p and there is massive stuttering/slow downs. other times it is totally normal and will run max 1440 at 180 fps and there is no specific duration for this.

how should i go about troubleshooting this? i was going to do a fresh windows install but would like to avoid it if possible. temps/ssd health all appear normal + hardware acceleration is off on chrome/discord.

err fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 22, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
fresh install would probably be the wise thing to do honestly pal - particularly if you carried the install over from a previous hardware config. it could be a lot of things - it sounds kind of like some kind of CPU issue but that's purely speculative. could also be graphics drivers potentially, or just some weird interaction between the current hardware config and an old driver...

if you're sure it's not CPU temps intermittent behaviours like that are always a fucker to diagnose. i'd back your poo poo up and install fresh, if you use the media creation tool you don't need to update and a password manager, https://ninite.com/ and a few hours patience to get winders how you like it i bet would save you time in the long run. it could be something else tho

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Also try turning off XMP in the BIOS, my brother's computer was having bad slowdowns not long after boot before we figured out it was a issue specifically tied to having it enabled on either setting (and one that I probably should look into more tbh)

err
Apr 11, 2005

CoolCab posted:

fresh install would probably be the wise thing to do honestly pal - particularly if you carried the install over from a previous hardware config. it could be a lot of things - it sounds kind of like some kind of CPU issue but that's purely speculative. could also be graphics drivers potentially, or just some weird interaction between the current hardware config and an old driver...

if you're sure it's not CPU temps intermittent behaviours like that are always a fucker to diagnose. i'd back your poo poo up and install fresh, if you use the media creation tool you don't need to update and a password manager, https://ninite.com/ and a few hours patience to get winders how you like it i bet would save you time in the long run. it could be something else tho

yeah it is a fresh install of windows 11 with basically nothing on it besides chrome/steam/discord so it probably isn't that but it would be quick to do so i'll try that.

Cross-Section posted:

Also try turning off XMP in the BIOS, my brother's computer was having bad slowdowns not long after boot before we figured out it was a issue specifically tied to having it enabled on either setting (and one that I probably should look into more tbh)

i activated this after building, doesn't it maintain your clock speed? that's the thing that boosted mine up from 2100 to 3600.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
that's exactly what it does, but potentially the memory controller on your chip could be struggling? i would expect it to be fine but maybe you got terrible rng on the silicon or something, idk. i've never seen intermittent behaviour from XMP like that but i totally believe it's possible, something to do with error correction maybe. this is why my reaction is "boy i hope an O/S wipe fixes it" because otherwise you're going to be in the weeds for a bit, it could be...a bunch of things.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
when you next detect the problem is happening pull up task manager and tell me what's using resources. it could be some weird fucky piece of software. if your cores are flat, and like you would normally expect you bought a chip with at least 8 cores in and windows ain't that heavy, maybe idk the scheduler is loving up do you have the latest chipset drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

It appears I fixed it. Switching PCIE from Auto to Gen3 in the BIOS and the issue hasn't happened in an hour and ongoing so far, when it was happening every 10 minutes for a minute or two. What a weird thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/qcjafs/new_pc_build_is_very_slow_and_lags_quite_a_bit/