Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Fubuki, King, Fang, and Child Emperor have gotten a lot of development - I think it would be an appropriate end for them to all die of radiation poisoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

No Wave posted:

Fubuki, King, Fang, and Child Emperor have gotten a lot of development - I think it would be an appropriate end for them to all die of radiation poisoning.

Haha! That’s so harsh!

Anyway I would almost toxx myself on Fubuki becoming the leader of the Hero Association by the end of the series.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I can kinda see the dramatic irony if the story about one of the most overpowered characters in fiction ended with him getting a downer ending where he fails to protect the Earth or save anyone, but yea it would be an absolutely terrible ending for Onepunch-Man.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
I don't think I've seen the Volume 26 extras linked: https://cubari.moe/read/gist/OPM/167-5/1/

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

man that other thread really loving hates the manga "one-punch man"

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

tbh it seems par for the course for the types of communities obscure webcomics engender, especially ones that haven't been updated in years

they've built up this image of opm being some sort of generational masterpiece thats almost hilarious to this point

edit: if you really want to see some salt, go to the reddit megathread where the webcomic vs manga discussion had to be quarantined

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 21, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The manga is simply worse for having fight choreography and taking more than 3 panels for combat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yes - one punch man is my favorite manga but it really went downhill after chapter 1.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm trying to be positive in this thread for your sake.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

AfricanBootyShine posted:

they've built up this image of opm being some sort of generational masterpiece thats almost hilarious to this point
Ha ha yes exactly. When I read some of the complaints I think, wow..... you guys really, really, really liked the garou arc.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

No Wave posted:

Ha ha yes exactly. When I read some of the complaints I think, wow..... you guys really, really, really liked the garou arc.

Well it was a good arc that had a strong payoff in the webcomic and didn't overstay it's welcome despite being the longest webcomic arc by far. A lot of that is due to earlier arcs having more brevity and the Garou arc being a little more cinematic and decompressed, true, but it was a good read even without the strength of art the manga has to carry it. That's it, that's the long and the short of it. Any complaints come from a feeling that this version isn't quite nailing the adaptation of events.

If you look at my posts in the other thread they're usually about pretty specific criticisms, and honestly most webcomic readers' criticisms are about easily identifiable issues. Contrast this to the hyperbolic way webcomic readers (both here and elsewhere on the internet apparently) are discussed by this thread. Instead of any attempt to refute points there's just a lot of attacking the posters themselves for having opinions people disagree with.

I do think it's kind of funny (as I've said in the other thread) how manga-only readers are very quick to hyperbolically proclaim this chapter a masterpiece solely on the strength of it's spectacle which, sure, yeah the art is gorgeous and the Jupiter color pages are striking enough that they're probably going to stick with me for a while. But.

The webcomic thread is mostly full of people who got into OPM on the strength of its story and comedy, which before Murata came along was all it had. There's a lot of people here who admittedly wouldn't have given OPM a shot had it not had sumptuous and gorgeous art, and the story that's here is still pretty good, but even on its own merits, the constant redraws and retcons over the past couple of years are themselves now a running joke.

The two groups of readers are talking about cross purposes as we're all here for different things. The ones complaining the most are the ones who are engaging with the writing and do so in favor of the art. The ones complaining about the complainers are wondering why these curmudgeons aren't having their socks, and thus concerns, knocked off by all of the incredible art.

That said, the art really is incredible, and there's nothing wrong with mostly engaging with that

Even if I personally think it's kind of lol, this shouldn't take away your own personal enjoyment of the chapter.

Runa fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 21, 2022

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No Wave posted:

Yes - one punch man is my favorite manga but it really went downhill after chapter 1.

Serious Series: Serious Post

Honestly things were starting to go badly once we went to the martial arts competition and Bang started being made a more important character. Everything up to Boros was fantastic.

Anyway, we're at the Fireworks factory that people have been hyping up for the last six years and now webcomic people are all mad about it for some reason. Absolutely wild.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

the chapter was pretty good :)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It was pretty alright

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I read a sci-fi book as a kid and in that world they covered people in this super science polymer that allowed them to breathe without oxygen and also polymorph themselves. As a test for some agency they threw people.into space out of an airlock and they had to return to their ship. The most common method was propelling themselves via farting. This chapter made me remember that book.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If Saitama ever figures out the vacuum effect Star Platinum has to its punches before he finishes a combo, he'd be unstoppable.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Can't wait until we find out this was all a dream and Saitama's been in a coma ever since he hit his head vs Crablante.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I actually like this chapter and just think one aspect of it is kind of funny/weird in a self-indulgent way. And going after people for enjoying something but not enjoying something enough is lol, possibly even lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think people are making fun of you for being extremely condescending.

The fact I don’t think you understand that’s what your doing is pretty funny

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

no offense man but isn't this what happens with you

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I like it and I just think that the funny moments are fewer in this than they were in the webcomic

But they always get me when they show up so it's not like they're diminished in any way

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh is that how y'all are reading it?

My bad.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Runa posted:

My bad.

I liked your post

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Runa posted:

My bad.

Runa posted:

I do think it's kind of funny (as I've said in the other thread) how manga-only readers are very quick to hyperbolically proclaim this chapter a masterpiece solely on the strength of it's spectacle
[...]
The ones complaining the most are the ones who are engaging with the writing and do so in favor of the art. The ones complaining about the complainers are wondering why these curmudgeons aren't having their socks, and thus concerns, knocked off by all of the incredible art.

Maybe it wouldn't come off as condescending if you didn't suggest that people annoyed about the criticism don't care about the writing?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

no offense man but isn't this what happens with you

I’m trying to be condescending, there’s a difference

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
C'mon, guys, if you want to discuss the opinions of those of us why have read the webcomic, there's an entire thread for that.

It's not like it's being used for the webcomic.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

C'mon, guys, if you want to discuss the opinions of those of us why have read the webcomic, there's an entire thread for that.

It's not like it's being used for the webcomic.

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Maybe it wouldn't come off as condescending if you didn't suggest that people annoyed about the criticism don't care about the writing?

I think maybe he thinks that because that's a pretty common thing to say here?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I simply look at the pretty pictures and am content. I do not comprehend speech.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I thought both the art and word were good.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I like when Saitama farted and that flung him forward in the void of space

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The only thing more tedious that reading webcomic readers posts complaining in this thread is reading manga readers posts complaining about webcomic readers posts complaining in an entirely thread or website.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Leviabeetus posted:

I think maybe he thinks that because that's a pretty common thing to say here?

That you don’t care about the story? I somehow doubt that. Praising the art doesn’t mean you don’t care about the story. It’s not one or the other

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

RareAcumen posted:

If Saitama ever figures out the vacuum effect Star Platinum has to its punches before he finishes a combo, he'd be unstoppable.

Yeah that’s the issue I have with Saitama, he’s just far too stoppable atm…

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i liked when saitama sneezed and completely destroyed the planet jupiter

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

That you don’t care about the story? I somehow doubt that. Praising the art doesn’t mean you don’t care about the story. It’s not one or the other

I'm sure most people would prefer both to be good, but "Who cares about the terrible pacing when it looks this good" has been expressed hundreds of times for years now. I'm not surprised to see people take them at their word on that.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i liked when saitama sneezed and completely destroyed the planet jupiter

I didn't. Poor Jupiter...

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Leviabeetus posted:

I'm sure most people would prefer both to be good, but "Who cares about the terrible pacing when it looks this good" has been expressed hundreds of times for years now. I'm not surprised to see people take them at their word on that.

Pacing is just one component of writing. You can think that the Garo arc is too long (it is) but think that coming up with fart rocketry is good and funny (it is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

oh jay posted:

Pacing is just one component of writing. You can think that the Garo arc is too long (it is) but think that coming up with fart rocketry is good and funny (it is).

See, now this here is condescending, thank you