Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah imo it's probably butt-typing. Between swipe keyboard and Google trying to guess what someone might actually be searching for. There are so many hot-buttons on phones that shortcut to a web search, too, it's easy to get to by accident.

Earwicker posted:

i have definitely not said the phrases "riverside city college" or "rcc webadvisor" out loud anytime recently, or at all that i can remember. im wracking my brain trying to think of anything i said that even sounds like that

"or CC your advisor" ?
Were you talking about emails recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Vegetable posted:

I was driving down a street recently. On the lane perpendicularly to my right was a car that flew down their street before coming to a pretty sharp stop. I got pretty mad at them and gestured at them as it looked like they were about to t-bone me and I had to jam my brakes. They got mad at me as well, presumably because they did actually stop at the stop sign in the end and didn’t understand my anger.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here? Ultimately he did comply with the stop sign, after all.

go to the relationships thread for queries about if you are an rear end in a top hat

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982535&pagenumber=1190

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Vegetable posted:

I was driving down a street recently. On the lane perpendicularly to my right was a car that flew down their street before coming to a pretty sharp stop. I got pretty mad at them and gestured at them as it looked like they were about to t-bone me and I had to jam my brakes. They got mad at me as well, presumably because they did actually stop at the stop sign in the end and didn’t understand my anger.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here? Ultimately he did comply with the stop sign, after all.

Nobody can answer this without seeing what happened and how much you may have been overreacting.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

i have definitely not said the phrases "riverside city college" or "rcc webadvisor" out loud anytime recently, or at all that i can remember. im wracking my brain trying to think of anything i said that even sounds like that

the only thing i can think of is i had a phone call with a friend yesterday and that friend sometimes works in education. but not at that school, or at any college, and we didn't talk about that side of his work in the call. seems like a stretch.

this is possible, but what creeps me out is the phrase "rcc webadvisor" is so specific, and it's a real term that someone who goes to that school might google, clearly not just a bunch of random words or characters

The AI-driven algorithms that our voice recognition and autocorrect systems are basically cued to find the closest meaningful match to whatever you input, even if you input nonsense. If you talk random gibberish to a voice-activated assistant, I'd wager it'll turn that into something vaguely "meaningful", even if it sounds nothing like what you said.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If I type "rcc w" into a browser the first suggestion it gives me is "rcc webadvisor", so I think it was probably just an accidental activation.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Khizan posted:

If I type "rcc w" into a browser the first suggestion it gives me is "rcc webadvisor", so I think it was probably just an accidental activation.

yeah this makes the most sense

thank you all for easing my paranoid mind

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
A lot of times I see goons post links to YouTube videos with no context. They're usually in response to something, but without any title or explanation, and it occurred to me that maybe most people here use a plugin or something that generates a title, or a preview, or something like that...?

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

nope, you just gotta roll the dice baby!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

People with lactose intolerance can take lactase pills when eating dairy to help them digest the lactose, but as far as I know there's no similar enzyme pill to aid in the digestion of gluten for those with celiac / gluten intolerance. Have we not discovered such an enzyme? There must be something that aids in the digestion of gluten for "normal" people, yeah? Some enzyme or chemical process in the gut? What's stopping us from developing a pill to help people with gluten sensitivities?

- signed, someone with a newly discovered, mild gluten sensitivity

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

credburn posted:

A lot of times I see goons post links to YouTube videos with no context. They're usually in response to something, but without any title or explanation, and it occurred to me that maybe most people here use a plugin or something that generates a title, or a preview, or something like that...?

links show up with embedded video on the mobile sa app, I believe

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

credburn posted:

Have you got video embedding enabled in your forums user control panel, cause that covers most of the YouTube links posted around here.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

regulargonzalez posted:

People with lactose intolerance can take lactase pills when eating dairy to help them digest the lactose, but as far as I know there's no similar enzyme pill to aid in the digestion of gluten for those with celiac / gluten intolerance. Have we not discovered such an enzyme? There must be something that aids in the digestion of gluten for "normal" people, yeah? Some enzyme or chemical process in the gut? What's stopping us from developing a pill to help people with gluten sensitivities?

- signed, someone with a newly discovered, mild gluten sensitivity

Very roughly speaking, lactose intolerance is like something getting someplace that it shouldn't be because a lock is broken, but you can "fix" it by temporarily putting a second lock in (ie, giving yourself a dose of enzyme); gluten intolerance is an incorrect reaction to something being where it should be, like an allergy. A lot of gluten intolerance is an autoimmune response, which is not at all a simple problem to solve beyond "don't eat it".

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 21, 2022

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I'm at home I only browse the internet in general on my pc, which has Chrome with an adblocker, but if I try to watch a YouTube video on my android phone while I'm at work out opens the YouTube app and plays ads.

What non-chrome browser should I download for my android phone so I can watch YouTube videos at work with no ads?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I recommend uninstalling the youtube app :v:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
pay for youtube premium

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

gay frog chemicals posted:

When I'm at home I only browse the internet in general on my pc, which has Chrome with an adblocker, but if I try to watch a YouTube video on my android phone while I'm at work out opens the YouTube app and plays ads.

What non-chrome browser should I download for my android phone so I can watch YouTube videos at work with no ads?

Brave is pretty good at blocking ads in general, I just tried to watch the same video using that and Chrome and only had a midroll in the latter but haven't tested it further

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Newpipe with Sponsorblock is the best way of watching YouTube on Android.

You can install Firefox and add uBlock origin to it if you want more from YouTube than just watching videos you encounter in other apps, but ehh.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

Very roughly speaking, lactose intolerance is like something getting someplace that it shouldn't be because a lock is broken, but you can "fix" it by temporarily putting a second lock in (ie, giving yourself a dose of enzyme); gluten intolerance is an incorrect reaction to something being where it should be, like an allergy. A lot of gluten intolerance is an autoimmune response, which is not at all a simple problem to solve beyond "don't eat it".

To put it another way, lactose intolerance happens because your body doesn't produce (enough of) what it needs to process lactose, so you can take a pill to compensate. The pill contains what your body needs to process it and what people without lactose intolerance produce within themselves naturally.

Gluten intolerance on the other hand happens not because your body lacks what it needs to process it, but because your body responds to it in a dangerously wrong way. Instead if recognising it as something it can process it starts to fight it, with all of the collateral damage that entails, and that fight can escalate (because fighting it doesn't actually solve the problem) to the point where it starts to damage itself to a dangerous and deadly degree.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Flipperwaldt posted:

You can install Firefox and add uBlock origin to it if you want more from YouTube than just watching videos you encounter in other apps, but ehh.

Firefox on Android also just doesn't work well due to a significant bug the developers have made zero headway on in two years, so I have a hard time recommending it for anything. I use NewPipe and it's the best way I've found. No account compatibility is annoying as hell, but it's better than ads.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I've got a number of frequently visited pages that heavily depend on custom cosmetic filters in uBlock origin to make them usable, which is where that came from. I've got to agree the user experience isn't great on account of the frequent reloading. More, like, a fan of the adblocker than the browser.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Flipperwaldt posted:

Have you got video embedding enabled in your forums user control panel, cause that covers most of the YouTube links posted around here.

I did not, oh wow! Now it makes sense to me.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've got a number of frequently visited pages that heavily depend on custom cosmetic filters in uBlock origin to make them usable, which is where that came from. I've got to agree the user experience isn't great on account of the frequent reloading. More, like, a fan of the adblocker than the browser.

Completely understand, and that's why I keep it installed as well. Sometimes you just need the ad block, everything else be damned. Just unfortunate it's lacking as a daily driver.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Taeke posted:

To put it another way, lactose intolerance happens because your body doesn't produce (enough of) what it needs to process lactose, so you can take a pill to compensate. The pill contains what your body needs to process it and what people without lactose intolerance produce within themselves naturally.

Gluten intolerance on the other hand happens not because your body lacks what it needs to process it, but because your body responds to it in a dangerously wrong way. Instead if recognising it as something it can process it starts to fight it, with all of the collateral damage that entails, and that fight can escalate (because fighting it doesn't actually solve the problem) to the point where it starts to damage itself to a dangerous and deadly degree.

A company called 9 Meters Biopharma is working on a celiac treatment. The current theory for celiacs is that gluten breaks down into a substance called gliadin in the intestines. Normally the cells of your intestinal wall stick together, but celiacs have "loose cells" that the gliadin slots nicely in between. That makes your body freak the gently caress out since there isn't supposed to be anything there. The immune response attacks your intestines until the gliadin falls out and away, or breaks down on its own, which can take up to two weeks. The celiac treatment causes those loose wall cells to tighten up so gliadin can't fit between them. It's in stage 3 trials.

- A newly minted celiac who turned rage into not being able to drink beer anymore into google searches.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Flipperwaldt posted:

SkyeAuroline posted:

I use NewPipe and it's the best way I've found. No account compatibility is annoying as hell, but it's better than ads.

On Android/Google TV, Smarttube is similar (blocking ads and sponsor segments) but with account integration so I have my history and subscriptions right there. Is there some other app for the phone that includes that?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

SkyeAuroline posted:

Firefox on Android also just doesn't work well due to a significant bug the developers have made zero headway on in two years, so I have a hard time recommending it for anything. I use NewPipe and it's the best way I've found. No account compatibility is annoying as hell, but it's better than ads.

I think that's a RAM eviction thing. I used to get it all the time, then I got a new phone and it doesn't happen any more.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Poldarn posted:

A company called 9 Meters Biopharma is working on a celiac treatment. The current theory for celiacs is that gluten breaks down into a substance called gliadin in the intestines. Normally the cells of your intestinal wall stick together, but celiacs have "loose cells" that the gliadin slots nicely in between. That makes your body freak the gently caress out since there isn't supposed to be anything there. The immune response attacks your intestines until the gliadin falls out and away, or breaks down on its own, which can take up to two weeks. The celiac treatment causes those loose wall cells to tighten up so gliadin can't fit between them. It's in stage 3 trials.

- A newly minted celiac who turned rage into not being able to drink beer anymore into google searches.

That sounds a lot more promising than the hookworms they were trialing back in 2015. Seriously.

- A coeliac who gave up on google searches many years ago

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Skanky Burns posted:

the hookworms

:wtc:

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Why is it that Purolator doesn't ring the doorbell? You'd think they wouldn't want to come all the way over with a package just to leave a door hanger in the sneakiest way possible so as not to alert the recipient.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Firefox on Android also just doesn't work well due to a significant bug the developers have made zero headway on in two years
I didn't even realise that was a bug because that's just what every loving app does on my phone. Alt-tab out of anything and it'll always reload when I come back.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Tad Naff posted:

Why is it that Purolator doesn't ring the doorbell? You'd think they wouldn't want to come all the way over with a package just to leave a door hanger in the sneakiest way possible so as not to alert the recipient.
They didn't bring the package in the first place, just the door hanger, and they were betting you either weren't home or wouldn't notice.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Trapick posted:

They didn't bring the package in the first place, just the door hanger, and they were betting you either weren't home or wouldn't notice.

Interesting bet in times of COVID when (lots of) people are still WFH. Today I heard a noise and investigated, caught the guy just as he was making his getaway. He had it. It was just an envelope. I said, "there is a doorbell". He just laughed and nodded and pretended he didn't know English.

Alternate stupid/small question, can you get Amazon to not use certain couriers?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Tiggum posted:

I didn't even realise that was a bug because that's just what every loving app does on my phone. Alt-tab out of anything and it'll always reload when I come back.

It does it on a handful of apps on my S21+, but Firefox is far worse about it, and other apps like Chrome never have the same issue - I have tabs I haven't touched in weeks or months that immediately load right back to where I was with whatever collapsibles/etc I had open, meanwhile Firefox reloads a tab completely if it and Gmail are the only two active apps and I switch over to get a recovery code. There's something hosed up with how Firefox is handling memory that makes it more prone than any other browser on mobile.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Can iron on patches be adhered to surfaces using one of those more targeted heat gun things?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Johnny Truant posted:

Can iron on patches be adhered to surfaces using one of those more targeted heat gun things?

I'm going to go with no. Part of why an iron works is it's a chunk of metal that a) heats evenly and b) is heavy. You certainly get the heat with the heat gun, but there's nothing with enough oomph to transfer the heat efficiently from the gun to the patch.

If you don't have a friend or grandma with an iron to borrow, you could get one for maybe $10 if you look around.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I believe part of the process is also pressing the patch onto the backing material with the iron. You don't get anywhere near as much pressure from a heat gun.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks! Not that I don't have an iron, it's that I'm attaching the patches to things where ironing them is quite impossible. I'll figure it out though!

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
What surface are you trying to attach them to? Like is it still a type of fabric or something else? Still meant to be worn?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nah, it's a more rigid backpack. Other iron on patches I ended up sewing on, which was awkward and tricky due to the way the bag was designed but it worked. I'll probably just have to do that again! Improves my sewing skills at least :sickos:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hot glue gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Have you tried a straightening iron? Like for hair? They make some smaller sized ones that may or may not get into those nooks and crannies. Otherwise yeah sewing or hot glue might be your best bet