Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

She was absolutely more of a platinum blonde early on.

Yeah. Part of it was because there was a supporting character in Excalibur who was semi-involved with Brian who also what platinum blonde hair so Claremont was trying to mess with readers a bit, as is his wont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. Part of it was because there was a supporting character in Excalibur who was semi-involved with Brian who also what platinum blonde hair so Claremont was trying to mess with readers a bit, as is his wont.

Wasn't it strongly hinted that character was a multiversal variant of Saturnyne, who another, evil variant of Saturnyne later posed as to gently caress with Brian?

Haven't read any of these comics, to be clear. Operating mostly off of second hand knowledge from podcasts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

glitchwraith posted:

Wasn't it strongly hinted that character was a multiversal variant of Saturnyne, who another, evil variant of Saturnyne later posed as to gently caress with Brian?

Haven't read any of these comics, to be clear. Operating mostly off of second hand knowledge from podcasts.

This is how I remember it, but it's been a long time since I've read it. I definitely remember Sat-Yr-9 replacing her

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

glitchwraith posted:

She was either her own person who Saturnyne killed and impersonated because she wanted Brian or a variant or just Saturnyne all along. They changed that a couple times.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Double post

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Sat-Yr-9, Courtney Ross, and Opal Luna Saturnyne are all multiversal counterparts, or were before Sat-Yr-9 murdered and replaced Courtney Ross, which many writers remembered only sporadically if at all.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
No one stays dead except for Uncle Ben and Courtney Ross. She was done dirty too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jfc that's one way to deal with the Arakkii :stare:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think in x of swords or the corresponding excalibur run they acted as though she was actually courtney ross, brian's ex. which is rather perplexing, to say the least.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I assume it's not all of the Arakkii, given X-Men Red is still going to be a thing. Or if it is a significant amount, it will be undone somehow. Still, Uranos is terrifying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

glitchwraith posted:

I assume it's not all of the Arakkii, given X-Men Red is still going to be a thing. Or if it is a significant amount, it will be undone somehow. Still, Uranos is terrifying.

Uranos said he left "some" alive so it's not all, but how many remains to be seen. X-Men Red is tying in, so I imagine that will clear that up!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Endless Mike posted:

These mutants just can't stop getting genocided! Promising start to the event, in any case - hope it doesn't fall apart as it goes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So, first impressions of this Rachel getting with Betsy thing is that I genuinely don't remember the last time that these two characters have interacted before this series. Am I just super dumb here and they in fact do share a vast profound history together that would support them being in love?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

rantmo posted:

Sat-Yr-9, Courtney Ross, and Opal Luna Saturnyne are all multiversal counterparts, or were before Sat-Yr-9 murdered and replaced Courtney Ross, which many writers remembered only sporadically if at all.
This is from memory because I am one of the "Excalibur Weirdoes" and may still be wrong:

Courtney Ross, OLS, Sat-yr-9 are all multiversal equivalents of each other, similar but not identical. Importantly, they are all basically the same in appearance and voice and so on.

Courtney Ross: Alright lady if possible Tory voter, love interest of Brian Braddock. Killed by Sat-yr-9, who replaced her in order to get revenge on Brian Braddock, unaware that Braddock's primary enemies, Alcohol and Brian Braddock, had already set him up for doom.

Sat-yr-9: Evil secret police lady from another universe that Excalibur blundered through with the Cross-Time Caper. Discommoded, pursued Excalibur for Revenge.

Saturnyne: Lady in the same universe as Roma and Merlyn, aka Otherworld; hot for Brian (he is pretty handsome tbf) and like, kind of evil, and clearly more evil now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BrianWilly posted:

So, first impressions of this Rachel getting with Betsy thing is that I genuinely don't remember the last time that these two characters have interacted before this series. Am I just super dumb here and they in fact do share a vast profound history together that would support them being in love?

I don’t know about past history, especially since they were pretty rarely on the same team ever, but Rachel was pretty prominent in getting Betsy back together again after X of Swords so it developing doesn’t seem that weird to me.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You ever think Ewing gets tired of events interrupting his stuff?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ewing does a great job writing tie ins, so I hope they enjoy it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm pretty sure it was Ewing who said on Cerebro that he enjoys writing tie-ins because he can basically write whatever crazy poo poo he wants without putting the toys back in the box; that's the responsibility of the event writer.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Rick posted:

I don’t know about past history, especially since they were pretty rarely on the same team ever, but Rachel was pretty prominent in getting Betsy back together again after X of Swords so it developing doesn’t seem that weird to me.

They've had a few instances of working together. The 2000s Claremont stuff and that one run of all the women being on a team. Their romance stuff started through Excalibur, and then yeah, X of Swords and the Gala and now Knights.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm gonna enjoy that Celestial being built with Tony and Sinister sniping at each other all throughout while each tries to implant some control device without the other noticing or something

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They had to muzzle Sinister because they know his super power is chewing the scenery.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He can't be muzzled forever!

Also I don't think Magneto is dead because he deleted all his backups, right? So next time he dies, it's for good. The council there also don't really do resurrections, so I figure that most if not all made it through.

I wanna see how they show Isca not being beaten, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Let's be honest, Xavier would bring back Magneto regardless of what his wishes were.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also jesus christ giving Sinister access to Celestial DNA :allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

He can't be muzzled forever!

Also I don't think Magneto is dead because he deleted all his backups, right? So next time he dies, it's for good. The council there also don't really do resurrections, so I figure that most if not all made it through.

I wanna see how they show Isca not being beaten, though.

She helped Uranos

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Endless Mike posted:

She helped Uranos

:mods:

Endless Mike is doing it again!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Nessus posted:

Courtney Ross: Alright lady if possible Tory voter, love interest of Brian Braddock. Killed by Sat-yr-9, who replaced her in order to get revenge on Brian Braddock, unaware that Braddock's primary enemies, Alcohol and Brian Braddock, had already set him up for doom.

I appreciate this tremendously.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

We do see his helmet in the wreckage, but notably without a skull. I'm assuming he made it, but their doing a good job of making me worry about it in spite of that.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I gotta say the art for that panel is not great. I can only parse it as "why is Silver Samurai on Arrako?"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I haven't poked around Giellen's Eternals much, do we know what Uranos' toolset is or is it just kinda "really strong and tough and I guess beams sometimes" like Thanos and Apocalypse?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I haven't poked around Giellen's Eternals much, do we know what Uranos' toolset is or is it just kinda "really strong and tough and I guess beams sometimes" like Thanos and Apocalypse?

We've mostly seen him in pre-historic flashbacks in the Eternals: The Heretic one shot. Like the other Eternals, it's assumed that he has multiple different powers, but so far we've seen him use flight, eye beams (specifically an ice beam, but a fire beam is also implied soon after) and city sized energy blasts. Super strength, a degree of invulnerability, and telepathy are also good assumptions.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 21, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just think of him like the Superman version of Thanos. Except even more evil.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's Darkseid. That's it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

She helped Uranos

You know what would be a good twist on Isca's powers? If she actually didn't control them so she can't help but not lose even if that means she switches sides or betrays people or maybe even just doesn't fight. Like if she wanted to fight Uranos, but her mutant power actually made it so that she couldn't.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You know what would be a good twist on Isca's powers? If she actually didn't control them so she can't help but not lose even if that means she switches sides or betrays people or maybe even just doesn't fight. Like if she wanted to fight Uranos, but her mutant power actually made it so that she couldn't.
The scene with Sunspot *heavily* implies this is the case

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Endless Mike posted:

He's Darkseid. That's it.

He even looks like him

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Uranos isn't just the most incredibly frightening of the Eternals on a personal level, though he is that, he's the guy who elevates weapons of mass destruction to a religious observance. Illuminated texts, in the style of a nuclear detonation.

"I promise I'll try to spare a hemisphere!" is one of the best villain brags I've read in a while.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I figure we'll eventually get a Phoenix vs. Uranos showdown.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Phoenix already beat Darkseid back in the 80's with that Claremont-written Teen Titans crossover.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Not just Phoenix, but Phoenix possessing Cyclops and then being fired out in an optic blast.

That crossover was really good.