Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Mortal Kombat

The ninth gate

Stop or my mom will shoot

Black panther

that's all small time

go to youtube, type in "ax 'em", come back when you're done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Codependent Poster posted:

Mortal Kombat was so bad. Give me the original any day.

I might even go far to say Annihilation was better.

https://youtu.be/6CBU-ZlXVBs

https://youtu.be/n3we3M9fyzY

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Eye of the Beholder loving sucked

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AngryBooch posted:

Comic Con slate for Marvel Studios but the article mentions a project seemingly titled "The Mutants" and they're probably sandbagging the reveal for D23.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/comic-con-2022-schedule-what-to-expect-marvel-the-rock-teen-wolf-1235072894/
Yeah they've done this before. The last time we got a bunch of new project announcements it was at D23, not Comic Con.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm guessing one of them will be dominated with World of Wakanda and the other will have more future planning

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was that rumor floating around about how they'll announce cast for F4 at D23.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I saw a rumor of Joe Keery as Johnny Storm and I am now in for that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Maybe the part where breaks another hero’s arm while whistling?

Or when he freezes some prisoners so they die to Parasite?

:confuoot:

You are being super dishonest about both of those.

In the first one the entire point is that Superman isn't moving his arm at all. He breaks his own arm by refusing to give up or yield.

In the second one the people he freezes are not the people the Parasite is attacking. You can tell the way they're not frozen.

Like it genuinely annoys me because the framing on the second page is really clear. The frozen guys have a wall behind them and Clark and Lex are going out the door. Next panel Clark and Lex are right next to the door and down the hallway you can see the vent on the ceiling down the hallway. In the next panel the vent is directly overhead and he's looking into a long room with a door at the back and the Parasite is busting through a wall into a room with ~4 people, not the more we see in the previous scene. There is literally no way to read that as "the Parasite is attacking the frozen people, good job Superman" unless you're literally ignoring the panels you posted. It's a really good clear sequence of events depicted clearly and part of why Quitely knocks it out of the part on that run (and in that issue particular)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 21, 2022

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I saw a rumor of Joe Keery as Johnny Storm and I am now in for that.

I've brought him up before as one of my preferred casting choices, so I hope it ends up being true.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They should just reboot MK as Shoalin Monks, they have a very good Kung Lao and Liu Kang from the last movie and they had the best scenes & fights.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Azubah posted:

They should just reboot MK as Shoalin Monks, they have a very good Kung Lao and Liu Kang from the last movie and they had the best scenes & fights.

This is true,those guys had real potential.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'll never get over Jax's superpower was growing magical robot arms. Even for MK that was dumb.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

I've brought him up before as one of my preferred casting choices, so I hope it ends up being true.

Yeah I'm shocked I never thought of it before. He would be so good as Johnny. Though it would be funny if they then cast Natalia Dyer as Sue since apparently she's one of the choices. I prefer Melissa Benoist though.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

JT Smiley posted:

I'll never get over Jax's superpower was growing magical robot arms. Even for MK that was dumb.

I think this was the detail that made me decide not to bother seeing it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Yeah I'm shocked I never thought of it before. He would be so good as Johnny. Though it would be funny if they then cast Natalia Dyer as Sue since apparently she's one of the choices. I prefer Melissa Benoist though.

I will only accept him as Johnny if he spends all the films babysitting Franklin and Valeria.

:colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JT Smiley posted:

So spontaneous metal arms? Not... like... cybernetic arms attached to his shoulders?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

So spontaneous metal arms? Not... like... cybernetic arms attached to his shoulders?

No, it was stupider than that. He gets his arms removed, monks give him crappy robot arms and then his powers activate to give him big muscle robot arms.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If you want to ground your fantasy story and make it feel more realistic/relatable or add depth to its world, it's not a bad idea to try and explain some of the more ridiculous aspects in a way that make them sound somewhat logical.

"This transferable birthmark gives me special moves" is not somewhat logical. That's somehow even worse than midi-chlorians.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd like to criticize the intricacies of Mortal Kombat because I know I didn't like it, but that was a year ago and I all I really remember is the really boring main guy inserted in for a core story that they sidetracked the movie away from the established story so it felt like the first part of an undeserved trilogy or something.

That and it somehow managed to feel like it did the bad video game movie thing of shoving in a ton of game references and characters to please game fans AND the bad video game movie thing of changing stuff that pissed off game fans.

I can't even really remember the movie's lore.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They tried to make it grounded and give an explanation for why people have powers instead of just letting that be the world they live in.

Imagine if Big Trouble in Little China tried to give a reason why Lo Pan and his followers had powers. It doesn't loving matter why people can do poo poo like throw fireballs. Just let that be the world that the movie takes place in.

Also replacing tech stuff with it being magic stuff because of the tattoos. Give Sonya a cool wristband instead of making it her power. Let Jax have big armored arms from the start. Give Kano a metallic eye that shoots lasers. That actually makes more sense than having those things be because they have loving tattoos.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

They tried to make it grounded and give an explanation for why people have powers instead of just letting that be the world they live in.

Imagine if Big Trouble in Little China tried to give a reason why Lo Pan and his followers had powers. It doesn't loving matter why people can do poo poo like throw fireballs. Just let that be the world that the movie takes place in.

Also replacing tech stuff with it being magic stuff because of the tattoos. Give Sonya a cool wristband instead of making it her power. Let Jax have big armored arms from the start. Give Kano a metallic eye that shoots lasers. That actually makes more sense than having those things be because they have loving tattoos.

Don't forget they spend the majority of the film's runtime unlocking these stupid powers instead of doing anything interesting.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Tattoos? Fighters from other worlds, you say?

So hear me out: For MK2, we introduce Johnny Cage as a teenager from Beverly Hills...

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I know it probably sounds crazy, but I can't help but feel the stupid tattoo bullshit (which they called Arcana because of course they did) was meant to be a half-assed way to try and get people to make Mortal Kombat OCs to try and make the movie go viral or some stupid poo poo. Y'know, something along the lines of Jojo fans creating OCs with cool Stands or MHA fans creating characters with their own Quirks.

They just, y'know, half-assed it and half-baked it and got lazy with it.

Jamesman posted:

If you want to ground your fantasy story and make it feel more realistic/relatable or add depth to its world, it's not a bad idea to try and explain some of the more ridiculous aspects in a way that make them sound somewhat logical.

The problem is that MORTAL KOMBAT is one of the worst possible franchises to try and ground. No one, and I mean no one wants a more relatable or realistic Mortal Kombat.

(The executives at Warner don't count. They're not human.)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really could not care less about another Cavill Superman movie unless they pull a Battinson and make it a quasi-Elseworlds where he has a totally different personality.

He’s just been played so loving dour and joyless for the last decade. I want an All-Star Superman crossed with Reeves, not some murdermonster everyone treats like a Greek god.

he's a different personality in the beginning of Snyder's Justice League

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I remember having a great time with the bad Mortal Kombat movie because it was deep in the pandemic, and my friend pod started renting theater screens at a local cinema ($200 for our own watch party! Grab enough friends and it's cheaper than a regular ticket!) to watch whatever lighthearted nonsense had come out recently and get tipsy and faded together over some popcorn. It was an extremely soul healing ritual during a very lonely and scary time. Fast and Furious 9 is now a core memory.

I had forgotten all about Jax getting magic prosthetic arms that were like, kinda lovely? But better than any actual prosthetic on earth? But his magic tattoo makes them turn buff?? It's a detail I would have chalked up to me clearly being drunk by that point and misremembering the movie.

Ultimately, any Mortal Kombat movie franchise has the likely insurmountable problem of needing to brutally murder nearly every single character. Either you do it and you cripple your franchise, you don't do it and lose the fans who correctly see it as missing the point, or you fudge it somehow where dying doesn't actually count and characters just reset after a fight, in which case you lose most of your tension and stakes AND probably alienate your fans. I truly don't know how you're supposed to thread that needle. MK is kinda one of those things that only works in the medium and format it's already in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I say "I'm Scorpion now!" when playing games with friends all the time because it makes just as much sense in any other context as in the movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Apparently, Giancarlo Esposito is being "looked at" for the role of Professor X in the MCU X-Men.

They have "looked at" and even gone through long interview processes (Pablo Schreiber says he had extended discussions with Marvel about being Wolverine that ended up going nowhere) for a lot of people that never got the role, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Although, it does indicate that they are open to, or at least considering, some changes to the core X-Men cast.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1550249238742925313

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He’s so good, that would be a great choice

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I say "I'm Scorpion now!" when playing games with friends all the time because it makes just as much sense in any other context as in the movie.

Introducing Sub Zero under the name Bi-Han only to have him go "call me Sub Zero" for no reason. Also for some reason in 17th century Japan he speaks English for exactly one line.

I guess a big question with MCU mutants is how they're going to handle Magneto.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s so good, that would be a great choice

Yeah I would really like to see that. Basically taking his style and putting it through a lens of endless optimism and hope that Xavier carries when working towards his dreams would be pretty cool to see.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Esposito would be great.

Very off type for him, but he's a great actor so I'm sure he'd nail it.

muscles like this! posted:

Introducing Sub Zero under the name Bi-Han only to have him go "call me Sub Zero" for no reason. Also for some reason in 17th century Japan he speaks English for exactly one line.

I guess at least he has ice powers.

Scorpion has fire and skull powers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I would really like to see that. Basically taking his style and putting it through a lens of endless optimism and hope that Xavier carries when working towards his dreams would be pretty cool to see.

Plus it'd work great when/if they do like oh so many modern X-Men stories and make Xavier an rear end in a top hat.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I feel like Esposito rumour has been around for months now, he would be great though

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He would be incredible as either Xavier or Magneto! Probably not too many actors I would say that for.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Goes without saying but DO NOT read the replies

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really hate whenever someone says "We're making this grounded" because it just says "we're taking everything that people like about it". Not to mention it will contain at least one bad joke about to thing people actually liked that was removed.

People said that The Batman was so good because it was grounded, but like, I don't think they've read a lot of Batman because he deals with regular organized crime all the time.

One of the reasons the MCU has been so successful is that it understands what people like about these characters and stories and embraces it, even the silly magical robot stuff, but also the very human stories about the characters. That's something Marvel has always been praised for, that their characters were able to punch it out with a bunch of Ninjas but then be worried about paying their rent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For Batman I assume they meant the gadget stuff.

Basically everything he uses is real current technology. The one time he tries to glide he eats poo poo.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

The problem is that MORTAL KOMBAT is one of the worst possible franchises to try and ground. No one, and I mean no one wants a more relatable or realistic Mortal Kombat.

No, I get that. I don't want Mortal Kombat to be realistic either, but I'm just saying I could understand wanting to try and develop this world and explore certain concepts in greater depth.

The problem is that they decided to do these things in way that completely and utterly failed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vandar posted:

(The executives at Warner don't count. They're not human.)

And what makes it funnier, or sadder, or both, is the current timeline feels very filmable. Just adapt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1550556342112333824