Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
AoC is like the worst performing game, better prepare for long load times and extreme dips in FPS because the maps are more like BOTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I don’t know what these people are talking about, AoC is way better than HW:DE even with its performance issues. I don’t know how much knowledge of BotW you really need, that’s not exactly a game bursting with story and AoC introduces everyone well enough imo

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

There is a demo for AoC if you want to try that. I bounced off it despite loving the Wii U version of Hyrule Warriors and the first Fire Emblem Warriors. Part of it was just that I don't like BotW very much and only tried the demo because I liked HW1 and FEW. I guess for me a lot of the fun comes from playing as characters I like.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My opinion is that AOC is generally more fun to play, but HW:DE is a better game, overall.

I really liked the combat in AOC, especially the way they handled the glyph system; it felt intuitive, easy to use on the fly, and I liked how every character used the same glyphs a little differently, it kept things fresh without making you memorize 100 different movesets. I thought it was a big improvement over HW:DE's item system, where you had to navigate an item menu in real time to try to find the right one to exploit a weakness in the brief window that it appeared, I got sick of that very fast

I also appreciated, on a cerebral level, how varied all the characters were, although tbh in practice, Link and the handful of characters who behaved similarly to Link were the only ones I actually really enjoyed playing; in particular, the birds and the walrus girl just felt horrible to control, I never got used to them. This could just be a "me being bad at video games" thing though. And Link was extremely fun to play, it was just the maps where they made you play someone else (especially those goddamn birds) that I struggled with a little

That said, once I finished the campaign of AOC i felt no real impetus to keep playing; i didn't really care about the extra side missions or anything that they unlocked, whereas adventure mode in HW:DE kept me engaged for a few dozen hours, I liked that a lot.

I honestly don't remember what the story of either game is, it's musou, it's not usually that important. For the rare musou games that actually have interesting, well-told stories (DW7 and spirit of sanada come to mind), I just consider that a bonus, but it's never what I buy these games for

TL:DR, both games are good, HW:DE will keep you engaged for longer, probably. I never came back to AOC to play the DLC, so I couldn't say if that was any good or not

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The only way I could ever play AoC again is on an emulator or if we ever get the mythical Switch Pro that has enough hardware improvements to allow a steady FPS.

lmao I've beaten the game three time and am now dabbling in a fresh maddening run, and I did not know about any of this. I know I've said it before but seriously, for a game with so many goddamn tutorial popups it really does not tell you poo poo.

Welp time to work towards grabbing some of these, a handful look insane.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The tutorial for hidden skills pops up only after you luck into one.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Sydin posted:

lmao I've beaten the game three time and am now dabbling in a fresh maddening run, and I did not know about any of this. I know I've said it before but seriously, for a game with so many goddamn tutorial popups it really does not tell you poo poo.

Welp time to work towards grabbing some of these, a handful look insane.

There actually is a tutorial pop-up for innate abilities... after you get your first one. I was lucky and stumbled into it in my first playthrough with Leonie because I wanted a falcon knight. That prompted me to look up the rest. I don't like hidden mechanics like that which just encourage players to use guides.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One thing I do appreciate is that once you know they're there, most of them are pretty obvious, at least if you remember character class preferences and innate talents from Three Houses. Someone suggested making Shez a ___Dark Knight___ (which you should, their innate skill is heck of good) and once I popped that, I could get bonus skills on all my faves.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Age of Calamity assumes more familiarity with Breath of the Wild than Three Hopes does with Three Houses. It is a simpler and lighter game, but its mission design places much more emphasis on fighting boss monsters than on battlefield control, which kind of gets old over the course of a Musou.

Hyrule Warriors DE is a low-context crossover romp, but it's kind of a lot jankier. Once I got over the early hump of rough balance and annoying missions on the first adventure map, it settled into a groove where I could just play it forever (and I only stopped because I ran out of things to grind for).

Of the Nintendo Warriors spinoffs, I think Three Hopes is the best designed overall, but the sheer quantity of mechanics to interact with and the time spent on them between battles is kind of a weakness.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
The Balthus, Hilda and Holst paralogue is amazing. :allears:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Bongo Bill posted:

Age of Calamity assumes more familiarity with Breath of the Wild than Three Hopes does with Three Houses. It is a simpler and lighter game, but its mission design places much more emphasis on fighting boss monsters than on battlefield control, which kind of gets old over the course of a Musou.

Hyrule Warriors DE is a low-context crossover romp, but it's kind of a lot jankier. Once I got over the early hump of rough balance and annoying missions on the first adventure map, it settled into a groove where I could just play it forever (and I only stopped because I ran out of things to grind for).

Of the Nintendo Warriors spinoffs, I think Three Hopes is the best designed overall, but the sheer quantity of mechanics to interact with and the time spent on them between battles is kind of a weakness.

I will say that the more I play and the higher durability I get the combat system kind of feels like it falls apart. Already I barely felt like there was an incentive to use any of the high combos, but once you have 200+ durability you can just spam combat arts and y attacks and that cleans up everything. It makes things feel very one note and makes the combat weaker than FEW, at least to me. I enjoyed that in FEW every single combo felt like it had a solid use case, while here that just isn't it. Also making it so that higher tier combos were better stun gauge damage made them worth using vs here where it's c3.

I think as a single playthrough experience (or purely ng runs) this game is great. It has a mostly solid narrative, continues the great character work, my first playthrough on hard was fun, but the cracks swiftly show themselves if you keep going on for NG+/general grinding which I like to do in my musous.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like every game since the first Hyrule Warriors has suffered from having less strategic decisions to make — I can't recall any mission since then that was as difficult to figure out a way to get through as the one where you unlock Zelda's level two baton.

Three Hopes is at least better on that score than Age of Calamity was.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Three Hopes introduces an entire map mechanic in the very last stage of Scarlet Blaze that gets used nowhere else, there's definitely room for more complicated maps and missions they just didn't make them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DC Murderverse posted:

I don’t know what these people are talking about, AoC is way better than HW:DE even with its performance issues. I don’t know how much knowledge of BotW you really need, that’s not exactly a game bursting with story and AoC introduces everyone well enough imo

It depends what you’re looking for in the game. The moment-to-moment combat in AOC is way better than HW but if you’re looking for more of those big field control battles where you’re frantically running from base to base and balancing offense and defense then you’re gonna be disappointed with it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah the sameyness of the maps and the rotation of the same handful of generic objectives is starting to wear me down; I could barely put the game down for most of my first run, but I was kind of dragging my feet towards the end, and I think i'm just gonna put the game down for a few months before I come back for a NG+.

It's not a unique problem to three hopes, it's something that i feel like musou games have been trending towards generally (SW5 was where i first really noticed it, i never even finished that game), but it's starting to take a little toll

Another thing is that I feel compelled to S rank the maps for the rewards, yet at the same time I'm getting a little bored of the work involved in actually doing it. I've been doing it for the 2x gold reward, since gold is kind of a bottleneck, but I'm not sure I even really care about that anymore, since I'm already OP enough to be untouchable anyway. Maybe i'll just stop doing that

I'm still generally extremely positive on the game and don't regret paying full price for it, I'm just not really in a rush to see all the content anymore. I'll get to it eventually

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If you are after gold, remember to get Despoil and give your whistle to Balthus, it's an extra 20k gold per map. (if you hit the caps)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Eimi posted:

If you are after gold, remember to get Despoil and give your whistle to Balthus, it's an extra 20k gold per map. (if you hit the caps)

Yeah I've already got Balthus' ability; though tbh, if I'm struggling to find the motivation to S rank maps, I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to put in the effort to hit the caps. Though free money is free money even if you don't go for the max i suppose

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Essentially, both games are good, just know what you're looking for in a musou game.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I've already got Balthus' ability; though tbh, if I'm struggling to find the motivation to S rank maps, I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to put in the effort to hit the caps. Though free money is free money even if you don't go for the max i suppose

Unless the reward is a relic tier weapon or a battalion there's no way I'm wasting my life trying to get an S rank. Unfortunately I had to do the Ch 14 AG fight 3 times because I wanted that Sword of Moralta for Felix and I kept running over time or taking too much damage.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Epi Lepi posted:

Unless the reward is a relic tier weapon or a battalion there's no way I'm wasting my life trying to get an S rank. Unfortunately I had to do the Ch 14 AG fight 3 times because I wanted that Sword of Moralta for Felix and I kept running over time or taking too much damage.

That one was rough, first time I got through too fast and was stuck trying to grind 200 mook kills in the final stronghold as the only hostile one on the map without accidentally damaging the boss. Couldn't do it before my allies killed him themselves. Then on the second time I made sure I was good on kills but that ate up the time and I just had to spam everyone's warrior special in a row to take down both bosses instantly. But once you kill one, there's a mandatory dialogue exchange before the objective to kill the other activates and can be completed, so I was running in circles checking the time waiting for them to shut up and end the map. Ended up with less than 3 seconds to spare.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I’m a weirdo who loving loves going for the S ranks. I think there’s something about the strategy of who to deploy, what classes they use and how to move around the battlefield that gets me all giddy. Though I’m also a Musou player who’s been playing poo poo like Dynasty Warriors 5.

EDIT: The Balthus, Hilda and Holst paralogue lives rent free in my head mostly due to Holst’s reactions to the assassins trying to capture Hilda and the assassins becoming incredibly stressed at how monstrously strong all three of them are.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 22, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
i like when i press the button and all the enemies on screen die

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sylvain as a dark bishop with the fire-boosting talent can get his combo up high enough off one cast of (...I think Sagittae, the big fire circle) that using the subsequent fire weapon combo just makes your screen burn for 30 seconds.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

About Renown and NG+: Does it carry over? Does it carry over even if I spend it like in 3 Houses?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Renown carries over to NG+.

I don't believe that you get refunds on anything you've purchased, but all the things you buy (characters, items, and equipment) will also get carried over so you're never losing it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok thanks. I don't really care for stat boosting items so I guess I'll just hoard it all.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
You should, clearing the game once lets you buy the better stuff.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cloacamazing! posted:

You should, clearing the game once lets you buy the better stuff.

Yeah don't spend it on the stat boosting items, it's better to save it all for a NG+

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

jimmydalad posted:

If I’m enjoying the gameplay here, should I try Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity even with 0 knowledge of the series? How much is DLC?

I like warriors games and I've played a bunch but I hated age of calamity.
The characters feel a lot more annoying to play, there's more irritating boss fights and in co-op it's practically a slide show

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They seem dead set against repeating any Houses support conversations*. Yuri and Bernie's supports couldn't really be anything but a retread of their interactions in Houses, so they just scrapped them. They do, however, still acknowledge one another and have unique remarks for dining or doing chores together, as well as training and fighting. There's a fair number of pairs like these, such as Ferdinand and Lorenz, or Dorothea and Manuela. It's kind of weird because it makes them mechanically worse to pair up than less close associates that can acquire higher support levels, but otherwise it seems reasonable enough.

Bernie does acknowledge Yuri's presence, it just happens in her support with Dorothea. There's a handful of supports that are locked with a "it seems you cannot deepen this bond at this time," and as far as I can tell, those all require you to recruit another character.

*Except Ferdinand and Dorothea, which was obviously some writer's favorite.
feel like there would've been an easy solution to this of just letting pairs like this reach a-support with no conversation. they did it for byleth they can do it for others!

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok thanks. I don't really care for stat boosting items so I guess I'll just hoard it all.

Where do you even spend renown? I know I've been getting it, but I don't think I've actually spent any yet. Or is that what I'm using when I talk to the awards master?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The book in your tent, next to where Arval hangs out.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Inu posted:

Where do you even spend renown? I know I've been getting it, but I don't think I've actually spent any yet. Or is that what I'm using when I talk to the awards master?

It doesn't give you much until you're new game plus anyway, but it's in your journal. It's the first thing the game tells you

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

so did they decide to make Caspar noticably dumber this time around for any particular reason?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
You get more than enough renown to buy out all the stat boosting items and the items added in NG+ after each route, so just spend it freely.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jon Irenicus posted:

so did they decide to make Caspar noticably dumber this time around for any particular reason?

had to drop out of school early

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Ainsley McTree posted:

had to drop out of school early

lol

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Caspar is shown to be pretty smart in situations where he needs to be. There's a camp dialogue near the end of Scarlet Blaze where Shez asks if there's a chance of him inheriting the Bergliez title, and he responds that he won't because he has not been involved in any governing nor been educated in it, but it might be an opportunity to implement Edelgard's vision and he could be a candidate for the military position while the governor one goes to someone more suitable. He clearly does know and understand what is happening around him.

the quips like "caspar don't eat the books" and "i will not explain the metaphor of an impregnable fortress being a maiden" aren't really him being stupid so much as other characters not respecting him, but other than the annoying "so uhhhhh what am I doing?" bark I don't think he's really portrayed as that dense.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yeah, Caspar isn't really dense but he knows his limits (which are pretty low, intellectually speaking) and opts to play to his strengths instead. The support with Hubert in 3 Hopes makes it pretty clear: he knows charging ahead and killing scouts isn't the *greatest* idea, compared to trying to capture them to extract information, but it's definitely the option he considered as having the highest chance of success in the situation he was in compared to trying to capture them and fail.

I can respect Caspar for that. even his in-combat bark can be handwaved as "he's so focused on the individual fight with the guys in front of him that he forgot the overall picture of the battle" rather than "he dumb lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I think Count Glouster is a cool/interesting character? The last thing I expected from this warriors game is to get me interested in side characters who were briefly mentioned in Three Houses.