Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

a rad post by the company that worked with Jinkx’s designer on their flames dress! SO MUCH went into it, how tf did they pack that?!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgFcmCduVQf/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I think for this season they were allowed as many bags as they could rather than the normal 5(?) bags that they are normally allowed.

Hell one of Trinity's dresses would have taken 3.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Nihonniboku posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNYoswhIIe0

RuPaul's Secret Celebrity Drag Race season 2 returns to VH1 August 12th.

Season 1 was pretty meh. Their definition of celebrity was pretty questionable, but it was fun to watch our beloved queens banter.

Season 2 looks to be revamping the concept. Looks like they're filming on a stage before a live studio audience. Instead of the celebrities competing in groups of 3, it looks like they're all competing against each other, and they're trying to do a Masked Singer type thing where they are keeping their identities secret until they're eliminated.

"Contestants will be mentored by “Queen Supremes” Brooke Lynn Heights, Jujubee, and Monét X Change, with guest appearances from Drag Race faves Eureka, Gottmik, Katya, Morgan McMichaels, Silky Nutmeg Ganache, and Violet Chachki."

Seems like they're playing loose with the definition of "faves" too.

It'll probably be bad, but I'll probably watch it anyway.

While I agree with season 1 being an absolute Skip It, the roast from the first season was an absolute baller and should be watched without watching the rest of the season by anyone who likes drag race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8xWxfZ6LxM

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Zvahl posted:

While I agree with season 1 being an absolute Skip It, the roast from the first season was an absolute baller and should be watched without watching the rest of the season by anyone who likes drag race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8xWxfZ6LxM

I forgot about that, and about how adorable Dustin Milligan is.

They hired some good writers for those jokes. Where are those writers whenever they write a sketch challenge?

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Nihonniboku posted:

I forgot about that, and about how adorable Dustin Milligan is.

They hired some good writers for those jokes. Where are those writers whenever they write a sketch challenge?

look, mrs. johnson's class worked very hard on their christmas mean girls script and i think you're being unfair to them :mad:

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
I think it's time they hand over all the rights for a reboot to pee-wees playhouse to Jinkx and BenDeLaCreme. That's a vibe and a show I need in my life.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I bought tickets for Karen from finance next month and I didn't even realise Tammy brown is gonna be there as a special guest this feels like a 'get stoned' show for sure

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

AS7 finale teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2deXSXeQIk

I expected the last challenge to be worth two stars, but three??? :psyduck:

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Monet and those loving wigs

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

blizzardvizard posted:

I saw that. Let's discuss

Current standings:, and potential outcomes

Jinkx 4 stars. Possible, 7.
Jaida 3 stars. Possible, 6.
Trinity 3 stars. Possible 6.
Monet 2 stars. Possible 5.
Raja 2 stars. Possible 5.
The 2 stars Possible 5.
Yvie 2 stars. Possible 5.
Shea 1 star. Possible 4.

At this point, it's still anybody's game, although unless there are more than 2 winners in tomorrow's challenge, Jinkx is still guaranteed a spot in the top 4. But that still leaves Jaida and Trinity, currently tied for 2nd place, vulnerable.

This twist makes sense as it is now. I wonder if it was always 3 stars, or it was just a matter or making it so that whoever was in last place still had a shot, so if Shea had 0 stars, maybe the reward would have been 4 stars, or if she had 2 stars, then it would be 2 stars.

I like it. Again, this should be All Stars rules going forward.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Making the final challenge be worth 2 stars still would have kept everyone in the game, just that there would be tiebreakers involved. 3 stars just feels like a slap in the face for most of the other queens who don't win the final challenge. I guess at the end of the day the results are all produced anyway, but still.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Nihonniboku posted:

The 2 stars Possible 5.

This is sending me

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Need my Southern gals in the finale! Team Jaida, Team Trinity!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Spoiler for the preview for tomorrow: I hate HATE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE "winner-take-all" final challenges. I hate them in reality shows, I hate them in game shows, I hate them. So. Much.

Had it been two Stars then there would have still been a theoretical chance for Shea to make it to the final, making it three potentially screws over both Trinity and Jaida. Except for Jinkx, what's the point of the previous ten episodes?

Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. It's one thing to give the people in the lead a chance to fail out aka a stupid Final Jeopardy bet, but this three Stars nonsense just aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :argh:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

New Priyanka video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo0P2rGBgOQ

Really, this is just an excuse to repost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9H3AMzbv4E

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

gandlethorpe posted:

This is sending me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RdqD_b16Mw

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

blizzardvizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVCRz-_ZwsY&t=96s

Timestamp relevant
I bet an edit of this would do numbers on reddit

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

AS7: It was heartbreaking to see Jaida so disappointed at the end. :( I do think it's quite fair for Shea and Monet to win the challenge, though. At the same time I also thought that Viv could have gotten her stars here too.

Also also I guess they made it 3 stars to ensure Monet would be the one to choose who gets into the top 4, so the whole alliance plotline isn't wasted.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
And that was my reminder that people watch these episodes the moment they become available and I can't come to this thread again until I do.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

AS7 latest episode spoilers I can't believe Raja didn't win!

I was chanting "losers bracket losers bracket" and so they almost did that. I'm Team Jaida for the losers bracket and Team Jinkx for the winners, but I wouldn't be mad about a Shea win

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

The minute Monet said Jaida's name first, my heart broke. Rooting for with Jaida or Raja to win the losers bracket.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

OH HONEY I HAVE THOUGHTS (AS7):

I stand by my original statement, I hated that there were three stars. Two stars would have worked fine, that would have tied Jinkx and Monet and added Shea to the tied-with-Trinity-and-Jaida group and then who knows what would have happened? Jinkx and Monet each get to select a finalist?

No arguments with the Top Two from this week, Shea's song/performance was legitimately a huge step up from everyone else.

This episode had been spoiled for me a while back. (It's my own fault that it happened.) So as things went forward I saw the elimination of Jaida coming and was so sad since I'm Team Jinkx/Jaida.

Now that I know there's a consolation prize competition as well, I'm happier with the outcome.

Can't wait until next week! :munch:

e: As for Canada: Team Gisèle Lullaby

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 22, 2022

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
as7 lmao shea and trinity once again in a lip sync tournament with a popular nyc girl and a lovable weirdo, that doesn't bode particularly well for either of them

Zvahl fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 22, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

AS7: Monet's talent show immediately brought tears to my eyes. WOW.

I'm a big fan of Jim Nabors, including his singing, and while he was a baritone, not a bass like Monet, I still instantly thought of him. :allears: RIP, you goddamn icon.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
as7 in the end, none of the blocking mattered one bit. monet couldn't have been blocked even theoretically on either of the episodes she won, because they were unblockable episodes, as were shea's. even if monet's one star got blocked successfully, it wouldn't have mattered, as she'd be right up there with 4 at the end. there were three blocked stars that went unawarded. jinkx's was largely irrelevant as she'd have gotten to the end either way. same with trinity, if she'd gotten that extra star, the only difference would be that she decided the tie breaker herself. vivienne having 3 stars would only have put her in the same lineup at the end, and even disregarding trinity being there, monet still wouldn't have picked her because vivienne personally offended her earlier in the season.

complicated gimmick for it to end up doing actually nothing.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Zvahl posted:

as7 even disregarding trinity being there, monet still wouldn't have picked her because vivienne personally offended her earlier in the season.

What was this?

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
AS7: making the final challenge be 3 stars feels so rigged
But i might be biased because the stupid alliance meant my fave Jaida is not up for the crown

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

there was an episode where monet was acting really affronted because vivienne was the one who purposelessly blocked her

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Zvahl posted:

there was an episode where monet was acting really affronted because vivienne was the one who purposelessly blocked her

Oh, gotcha, thought you were referring to something in Untucked. I've taken most of Monet's "pouting" as trying to make good TV (lack of eliminations = less drama, so may as well ham it up a bit), but then again, there may have been an actual grudge there.

Raccoonboy posted:

AS7:
But i might be biased because the stupid alliance meant my fave Jaida is not up for the crown

:same: :smith:

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Read After Burning posted:

Oh, gotcha, thought you were referring to something in Untucked. I've taken most of Monet's "pouting" as trying to make good TV (lack of eliminations = less drama, so may as well ham it up a bit), but then again, there may have been an actual grudge there.

thinking my phrasing through more, it wasn't really personal, it was drag

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I also would have preferred Jaida to Trinity, but from a pure competition point Trinity makes sense over Jaida. Trinity had 4 challenge wins to Jaida’s 2.
I hope Jaida wins the done already had hers bracket.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I love jaida and was ride or die for her this season but trin can be argued for top placement in every challenge plus she was the de facto seamstress for the rest of the girls. meanwhile jaida had some clear stumble moments (but learned to have fun with them). it was a true mario party moment because almost all of the entire preceding season mattered for poo poo.

I don’t think Raja’s Balinese dance was win-worthy. Love a SEA queen showing off the culture but it was whelming compared to the two that won (and jynx, and yvie, and jaida…). I think Gia not winning for kabuki was an actual robbery, where this was justified.

It’s gonna be a great last episode. Reiterating that the critiques for every episode could have been cut to the benefit of all but it’s just been nice to see these top-tier queens let loose and showcase themselves. How many outfits did they all bring??

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

MizuZero posted:

I don’t think Raja’s Balinese dance was win-worthy. Love a SEA queen showing off the culture but it was whelming compared to the two that won (and jynx, and yvie, and jaida…). I think Gia not winning for kabuki was an actual robbery, where this was justified.

https://twitter.com/Weird_AnimaIs/status/1550416532429312000?s=20&t=uY_eAI3hQ9VGfX09xFUlEA

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
I love Jinkx but I don't see how she could win a lipsync smackdown. I'm salty about the twist too, I hate that someone could just swoop in and get in the final over the girls that earned their stars the hard way.

I'm so glad the "bottom" 4 get a chance to win something also! The final is going to be exciting.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Dittoing the Jaida robbery. As soon as Monet was announced as tiebreaker, I lost all hope (today). But the finale twist did reduce some of my salt. Also glad we get to see Yvie get another chance to do a proper lipsync.

Zvahl posted:

as7 in the end, none of the blocking mattered one bit. monet couldn't have been blocked even theoretically on either of the episodes she won, because they were unblockable episodes, as were shea's. even if monet's one star got blocked successfully, it wouldn't have mattered, as she'd be right up there with 4 at the end. there were three blocked stars that went unawarded. jinkx's was largely irrelevant as she'd have gotten to the end either way. same with trinity, if she'd gotten that extra star, the only difference would be that she decided the tie breaker herself. vivienne having 3 stars would only have put her in the same lineup at the end, and even disregarding trinity being there, monet still wouldn't have picked her because vivienne personally offended her earlier in the season.

complicated gimmick for it to end up doing actually nothing.

Well, if Jinkx had another star, she might've been the one to break the tie between Jaida and Trinity, likely picking Jaida. Which is amusing, because that was Jaida's block.

Honestly, the most consequential block is probably Vivienne, so I can see why she seems so salty. I wasn't much of a fan of hers going into the season, but I feel like she got the most robbed throughout.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Goddamnit the queens I'm rooting for never loving win!! I'm cursed.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm surprised there are no Jinkx fans here. It's been her season, and I don't think there has been anyone else in Drag Race history who has dominated a season as she has. Rooting for her going into the finale.

Also, I was also surprised Monet got in the top over Raja, just based on editing alone. Raja had maybe the most talking heads this week of the entire season.

Also, surprised by the second tier lip sync for $50,000. Seems a little odd that The losers of the top 4 wouldn't have a shot at that money. Maybe they need to enact Survivor money rules where your ranking determines how much money you take home. But at least it gives the bottom queens something to do next week. This is what All Stars should be.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm surprised there are no Jinkx fans here. It's been her season, and I don't think there has been anyone else in Drag Race history who has dominated a season as she has. Rooting for her going into the finale.

Also, I was also surprised Monet got in the top over Raja, just based on editing alone. Raja had maybe the most talking heads this week of the entire season.

Also, surprised by the second tier lip sync for $50,000. Seems a little odd that The losers of the top 4 wouldn't have a shot at that money. Maybe they need to enact Survivor money rules where your ranking determines how much money you take home. But at least it gives the bottom queens something to do next week. This is what All Stars should be.

Jinkx is absolutely my favorite this season. Utter domination and at least one challenge she didn’t place in the top 2 that I think she should have. She should rightfully be crowned the Queen of Queens. I’m just afraid she’s going to have a tough time winning a lip sync tournament.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Nihonniboku posted:

My personal top 3 are Jinkx, Jaida, Shea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

Huh? Who isn't a fan of Jinkx? This was clearly her season to dominate since the beginning, which most acknowledged from the start and she proved true challenge-wise. All I've seen is people questioning her odds in a (fair) lip sync tournament, myself included.

Given her last lip sync with Trinity, I no longer have doubts the editors can't edit around anything. Honestly, only Jinkx would feel correct as the Drag Race queen of queens. The only one I'm a bit worried about for Jinkx is Monet, who is not only a great and unique lip syncer, but also a quintessential Drag Race queen, in slightly different ways, as well as another Ru fave.

I did always think it was a weird choice to do a season of 80% comedy challenges with the fan and producer fave being a comedy queen, then make lip syncing the finale format. Now that they're making everyone lip sync in the finale, it makes a bit more sense.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 23, 2022