Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Marsupial Ape posted:

You mean my years of intense physical conditioning was for nothing?

I bet the ISS is just like the olympics, a bunch of fit highly trained people loving like monkeys at every opportunity while the people in charge do their best to discourage it and keep it under wraps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The accident at the beginning of the season should have centered around a swingers convention that rented out the entire space hotel.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm just waiting for the stereotypical TV birth-away-from-hospital scene. "You- get some towels. You- boil some water" "But we don't have any water!" "Suit up, we're gonna go kill some Russians!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I do wonder what the Russian's plan is here. Are they planning to just send a new hab, pay Helios to ferry their dudes over and then peace out?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If you attach a pressurizer to your catheter you can have an emergency propulsion system that gets refilled naturally

I hope to see this tech shown off in s4

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Ugh I really don't care about Ellen's Clinton scandal

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
My guess, the liquid water has now either evaporated or frozen due to Danny's fuckup. The Helios hab is now buried under sand and rock, and NASA (namely Danielle and Kelly) will have to come dig them out. We'll cut it close to whether Ed survives his injuries. Danny will go through withdrawal while in the hab, and the other helionauts and cosmonauts will have to restrain him. And Karen does something annoying.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oof, this episode was a lot of set-up, huh?

I was really expecting Danny to confess to Ed during the "hit me!" scene, guess they'll cover that next episode when it's claustrophobic withdrawal times.

So Ellen's gonna do something reckless, isn't she. Liked the Karl Rove guest spot. Are dems the bad guys in this timeline? :ohdear:

Was also thinking the other failson's friends would just bomb NASA offices, but they... Wanted to steal a statue? That is very lame hillbilly taleban, boys and girls!

And I guess Aleida figured out it was Margo all along :unsmith:

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Mustache Ride posted:

The further the show gets away from historical events, the more difficult it can be to keep it's version of alt-history of events grounded and realistic.

Nate Corddry in dick cheney make-up playing the secretly gay husband of secretly gay president female hero astronaut while doing a Clinton scandal is completely off the rails for me.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Speaking of make-up I like that they went with the 2015 old man Marty Mcfly look for Tracy and Gordo's failson.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Welp, that was certainly an episode. All of the Earth-stuff is still the most boring filler and I keep hoping the other Stevens kid falls into a woodchipper.

Thoughts:

I was kind of expecting Danny to OD on Oxy while Ed was away on the drill mission, giving him another guilt trip over being away and unable to save a "son" because of the mission. But, no, Danny fucks it up even worse.

The only Earth plot that I'm interested in is whether Aleida goes to the FBI or quits and goes to Helios. I put it at about 50/50.

RIP, PJ and Sergei.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The last bit of this episode was great.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Mustache Ride posted:

Haven't watched the episode yet and from here on i'm gonna stop reading until I can, but if this is about the Ellen's husband having a gay affair in the White House, i'm gonna flip after I predicted that poo poo pages and pages ago. Not that it wasn't kind of obvious I guess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So when do they build the space prison for Danny?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm sure it won't happen but what if Danny is the most senior surviving Helios astronaut?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Ron D Moore quadruple downs on the Danny storyline based on the negative feedback and repeats the storyline with Kelly's Martian daughter in season 5.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

fuckin lol'd at Reagan being the face of People Magazine Alzheimer's edition

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah man put the guy you said was zoning out and can't focus on anything on a mission critical role.

I mean the storyline was bound to culminate somehow I just wish it ends quick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't get why that guy couldn't have just brought the laptop over to the station he was working at to stay on comms with the team.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

it is absurd that only one of them would be listening to coms at a time like that but we gotta turn up the Danny story to 11 so here we are

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Kinda getting tempted to fast forward through the earth parts and just watch the space parts.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
This show is getting sort of bad I hate to say.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Did we know Aleida and her husband had broken up?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

mr. unhsib posted:

If they didn't say it, it was heavily hinted when she refused to put her dad in a home a few episodes back. He couldn't handle dealing with her dad, and she refused to believe anything was wrong so he left.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

they were both wearing wedding bands in that scene so maybe they're separated?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rental Sting posted:

This show is getting sort of bad I hate to say.

Starting to agree. I'm not really happy if this is what they have to do to add drama. Just happen to put the shitlord in in a vital role after that big public blowout that showed that he's incompetent so that they can have a tragedy happen. There doesn't have to be another big tragedy, they've already had two Mars tragedies, why do they need a third? And now I'm guessing that Kelly is going to be pregnant with that Russian's kid and he'll be missing or nearly die or something, so we can have more drama. I really don't want this show to jump the shark when there are so many ways it can still be good.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
not a good episode

waiting for a lot of shoes to drop, please just drop them

Aleida is going to confront Margo, we didn't need a whole other episode where she didn't

Ellen is going to be outed, we didn't need a whole other episode where she wasn't. Also what the gently caress getting a full presidential security detail to your ex's tiny house unannounced (?). If this doesn't lead to her just publicly admitting it I don't know how else you can explain that.

Jimmy's QAnon friends are up to something, alright they did it (?). It would be hilarious if they really only wanted to steal that statue. Not sure why they needed a badge to do it, seems like it's just sitting there by the street.

Danny is going to gently caress something up, well great he did. In an incredibly contrived way.
In what other show has someone so obviously unfit been carelessly left in front of such a simple task and hosed it up so badly?
Danny, stay here while I look at these numbers on the other side of the room for no reason. Make sure to flip this switch on and off when appropriate because we haven't automated this poo poo. Did this make it past a first draft in the writer's room?
Obviously he's going to be allowed to live forever now, so he can redeem himself, and so not everyone in the next season will be 70 years old.

They've still gotta unleash that water and/or find life on Mars but it's fine for them to save that for the last episode if they want.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Hey guys, I have to run these numbers by hand way over here away from the live data because even though I work for a techbro firm we’re too cheap to have the numbers calculated for us, have an excel spread sheet open with equations set up just to punch in variables or anything that looks like basic common sense.

Oh, and make sure I never consider making someone else run the numbers, doublecheck that numbers are being monitored, have no failsafes and have a raging rear end in a top hat that’s just been identified has being high as a kite in a major role. poo poo, the only thing keeping them from being Star Trek is that I presume there are fuses in their electrical system.

What in the gently caress were you thinking Ed?? Why didn’t you confine him to quarters on the orbiting ship until he was clean and sober? Why aren’t you monitoring the distribution of controlled substances on your base? I know techbros are incompetent but this is a bit rich.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The downturn in quality between the rest of the season and this ep was WILD holy poo poo. I know some of you haven’t been into the season as much but I’ve still been loving it aside from the Danny stuff, but this episode felt like so much wheel-spinning and idiotic decision-making and now there’s ANOTHER lovely Stevens kid to reckon with??? Hopefully just an off week before poo poo goes down as we approach the climax.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

The downturn in quality between the rest of the season and this ep was WILD holy poo poo. I know some of you haven’t been into the season as much but I’ve still been loving it aside from the Danny stuff, but this episode felt like so much wheel-spinning and idiotic decision-making and now there’s ANOTHER lovely Stevens kid to reckon with??? Hopefully just an off week before poo poo goes down as we approach the climax.

I'm not quite ready to call this a jumped shark just yet, but this episode definitely had a lot of plot "progress" but absolutely zero pay-off, except for the last 2 minutes or so. And as you and other say, a result of several questionable judgment calls. I'm starting to get the feeling they're trying to replicate the season 2 last half experience, where there were a lot of dangling things that only converged and some resolved in the season finale. It was cool at the time, but this feels less... Organic?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'd like to hope Ed's line about,"Think about the wonderful future we're creating here!" was his hosed up way of trying to justify that he's basically been reduced to a hired gun doing a rich man's bidding even as it puts his own country on the backfoot, because if he STILL genuinely thinks he is the good guy here it's going to drive me crazy.

Count me in with those who finds almost all the earth-based stories (particularly President Ellen) dull or bad, and at this point Margo - once one of my favorite characters - has just become frustrating as hell and I actually want to see her get found out and have to retire in disgrace like Von Braun did. The space stuff is still mostly good but Danny's character and storyline are awful and Ed has just lost all sympathy for me, though the set-up for next episode hopefully means it is going to be a Danielle heavy-episode.

Somebody remind me, do we know if Phoenix has a back-up lander (it would make sense) as otherwise there's a good chance all of them are stranded down there on Mars now.

Also also, I think it was mentioned briefly but where did the drill come from? The Soviets didn't bring it so was it on Phoenix (which seems most likely)? I can't see NASA providing one given they've been locked out by the Soviets. I also find it bizarre that there wasn't more Earth-based fury/push-back over Helios teaming with the Soviets, outside of one news report saying,"Maybe this means future dealings between American businesses and the Soviets?" and the Conspiracy Theorists going,"Well the President screwed that up :shrug:" and then moving on entirely.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Escobarbarian posted:

now there’s ANOTHER lovely Stevens kid to reckon with
the one upside of the Jimmy Stevens plotline is the actress who plays his not-girlfriend Sunny, I could definitely be led into stealing equipment from my dad's work by such a person

who I am now learning from google is Bryan Cranston's daughter ??

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 22, 2022

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

mr. unhsib posted:

I will admit I thought I must have missed an episode there somewhere, feels like a scene got dropped somewhere.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Hilarious that Ed is like, "I know you're all methed up! I can see it! You get one more chance! And no I'm not gonna ask for the drugs back or search you or search this tiny habitat for your stash. My dadly authority should be enough to make you quit this extremely addictive drug cold turkey! Well that should take care of that."

Hard to believe no one on the crew called bullshit.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
wow that episode was shockingly bad. I have had some significant complaints about season 3 so far but it's still generally been pretty good; I think that might be the first unqualified, out-and-out bad episode of the entire series

I do not care about the Wilsons at all and I do not have any of the sympathy for them the writers expect me to have, especially as a queer person. They're absolutely horrible people; two gay Quislings who decided they'd happily lick Ronald Reagan's boots in the middle of the loving AIDS crisis because it would benefit them personally do not make for sympathetic protagonists. That's not a dealbreaker on its own, there have been plenty of good stories about awful people, but it also commits the cardinal sin of being boring. It doesn't really even tie into the main plot in any meaningful way, it's like we're watching two entirely different TV shows intercut together.

The only thing that keeps the Earth storylines from being the worst part of this show is Danny. I know Ron wants us to hate Danny, but I do not hate Danny in the way Ron wants me to hate Danny. I hate Danny in that I think his presence on the show makes it less enjoyable to watch and it would be a better show if he were not there, I do not hate Danny in an interesting or entertaining way. He fuckin sucks and every scene with him in it sucks and every storyline that involves him sucks, not even his idiot brother's dumb bad subplot sucks anywhere near as much as Danny sucks.

Even the dramatic cliffhanger sucked, not because it was itself bad - in a better episode, that could have been a great, nail-biting ending. it just does not land here because the way we got to it was incredibly stupid and contrived, a bunch of people taking actions that exist solely to get the story to that point without any good in-world justification for them doing so. it's like RDM wasted all his episode runtime on the dumb filler, realized that he needed to actually do a plot thing and only had a couple minutes of show left to do it in, and just ran through it as sloppily as possible.

I loved the first two seasons of this show and I have even mostly liked this one, but I am starting to get this nagging feeling that this show has been good by accident and its creator doesn't really understand why it was good

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's really interesting to compare Danny to Gordo, given that both of them are characters that have huge flaws and gently caress up sometimes. Gordo was never not sympathetic; he had performance anxiety and panic attacks, but he was never a bad person. Danny is just an rear end in a top hat because... his friend's mom had an inappropriate relationship with him? You could definitely do a story about how he can't let go of this "relationship" and how it affects his relationship with Ed, but it's a major loving leap to popping pills and killing robot dogs.

Also, after accusing Danny of taking drugs in front of everybody, nobody on the mission thought, "Hey we should lock up or at least move the drugs"?

Mister Bates posted:

I do not care about the Wilsons at all and I do not have any of the sympathy for them the writers expect me to have, especially as a queer person. They're absolutely horrible people; two gay Quislings who decided they'd happily lick Ronald Reagan's boots in the middle of the loving AIDS crisis because it would benefit them personally do not make for sympathetic protagonists. That's not a dealbreaker on its own, there have been plenty of good stories about awful people, but it also commits the cardinal sin of being boring. It doesn't really even tie into the main plot in any meaningful way, it's like we're watching two entirely different TV shows intercut together.

The show has so little interest in politics it's easy to forget that the Wilsons are total shitheads, yeah.

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010
gently caress Danny, justice for PJ.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I think I read somewhere that RDM wasn't as involved in this season as the first 2? Maybe the downturn in writing is due to that, because it is definitely heading into the shitter. The way they engineered the disaster with Danny has to be some of the most laughably contrived bullshit I've ever seen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't even understand what we're supposed to feel for Ellen and Larry. Are conservatives supposed to empathize with them because they are Republicans and progressives supposed to empathize with them because they are gay? Ellen is just too lovely for me to care that something bad is happening to them. She joined the party that thinks she should not exist just because she likes lower taxes? She joined the party whose previous president watched his best friend die of AIDS and did nothing about it because the guy was gay and gays are icky. Her being outed would probably make things worse for gay people because it would generate some narrative that gay people are secretly infiltrating all of society to destroy christian values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
my favorite part was failson actually confronting what his parents meant to other people in a meaningful way, but then immediately being like "naw actually i will embrace the selfish anger inside of myself instead of caring" when the bubbas bring their loot back. otherwise the earth plots are super dogshit overall? Aleida's scene with her husband was so laughably bad acting wise that people are in here guessing they are separated, and she is getting setup to von braun margo. UGH.

im still like wowie zowie SPACESHIPS, but this season is just a turd mostly on the drama side, which is a problem for a show about the relationships built around space exploration.