Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Plenty of companies will give more info than y'all believe, apparently. Some will just say dates and eligible/non eligible, some will say whether you voluntarily left, were fired, or laid off, and smaller ones especially will feel free to say exactly why you were let go and what their personal opinion of your work is. Assuming that "99/100" or whatever only give the bare minimum info is simply not true.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sundae posted:

Yeah, but almost certainly nope. At bare minimum, the follow-up post claiming to be his wife is fake.

"Hey, I'm the wife of X and can't contact my husband. Can you connect me to him?"
"X? Never heard of him. Let me send you to the hiring manager."
"Hiring manager here. Hello, unverifiable spouse of this person. No, he doesn't work here, and furthermore, here's a bunch of poo poo that we'll tell you about him, unverifiable spouse."

It's interesting how reddit has become the world's unofficial but universally understood go-to site for writing and reading creative fiction.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

My most recent background check involved the verification company asking “would you rehire this person?”; I think it can be assumed to be part of all rigorous checks going forward.

That being said, there is definitely litigation risk for anyone who answers “no” to that question so in most cases I wouldn’t expect it to be a problem.

E: I am willing to believe that many small business owners do not know this and are quite willing to talk poo poo about ex employees. This is unwise.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
There is almost no litigation risk to answering "no", which is why that question exists. Talking poo poo can have litigation consequences since you have damages and if you lie (and people lie a lot) then that's slander. Saying "This person is not eligible for rehire" is a true statement which is an absolute defense of slander.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Background Check is back and I was given the all clear this morning.

I start new job on 8/1

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Pillowpants posted:

I start new job on 8/1

:toot:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

:c00lbert:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Pillowpants posted:

I start new job on 8/1

:hellyeah:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Pillowpants posted:

I start new job on 8/1

Congrats! Glad your saga has come to a satisfactory conclusion

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Pillowpants posted:

I start new job on 8/1

:thatsrad:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pillowpants posted:

I start new job on 8/1

Congratulations!

In other good news, I'll have a new opportunity to practice what I've been taught here!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pillowpants posted:

I start new job on 8/1

:thurman:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Old company asked what they could do to get me to stay, heh.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Pillowpants posted:

Nothing. Goodbye.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Pillowpants posted:

The stuff I've heard and read all says to never even entertain a counteroffer. Simply say that the decision is final.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

Feels good man.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Magnetic North posted:

The stuff I've heard and read all says to never even entertain a counteroffer. Simply say that the decision is final.

That feels like bad advice. Why would you start out from a position of non-negotiation?

You should keep in mind why you decided to leave. If it's "I hate my boss" then a 25% raise isn't a good counteroffer. But knowing that such an offer is possible is valuable information all the same IMO. You could even re-open negotiation with your new company: "my current employer just made a counteroffer of $x. I'm still really excited to come work for you so do you think you can match this?"

I think a lot of this thread is of the opinion that your current job must have treated you like crap for you to be looking to leave. Even if the culture was fine, they didn't give you a raise or promotion when you deserved it. Therefore, gently caress 'em and don't look back. I'm not arguing for loyalty, but I think your new job will also not give you a raise or promotion you deserve. Therefore, if the only reason you want to change jobs is money and your old job is suddenly offering more, why not consider it?

Again, common anti-counter wisdom is that now you've shown disloyalty and you'll be replaced immediately with someone cheaper. But that's true already -- if someone offered to do your job for 80% pay you'd be out on your rear end no matter how loyal you are.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I disagree with the above, the company wouldn't be suddenly offering you more money, it would be an admission of taking the piss out of the value of your services.

Everyone wants more money, everyone's boss doesn't want to pay more. Fact of life, sunrise sunset etc. If you are worth more money but your boss doesn't want to pay it cause they don't think you have the minerals to just leave then gently caress them.

Going back to them and saying "well somebody thinks I'm worth it" with a better offer in hand hoping they will match or beat it just seems like folly. All of the points about not accepting a counter are true unless you are already easily replaceable.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

There’s also the practical matter that if you negotiate a raise even in the best of times there’s all the more incentive to start looking for your cheaper replacement. Counteroffers should only be accepted under the circumstance that there is an understanding that your role will be recontextualized by the new pay/responsibilities

Example: buddy of mine was making $115k at a company that he worked and excelled at for 5 years. He figured his time there had run its course, so he started looking. Got an offer for $150k, put in his notice. His boss and the CEO freaked out and took concrete action. They offered him $170k and a director role. He accepted with the understanding that he would be calling shots in terms of design and hiring (which he had a strong role in anyway but was compensated far less because that’s what companies do if you let them).

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

deported to Canada posted:

I disagree with the above, the company wouldn't be suddenly offering you more money, it would be an admission of taking the piss out of the value of your services.

Everyone wants more money, everyone's boss doesn't want to pay more. Fact of life, sunrise sunset etc. If you are worth more money but your boss doesn't want to pay it cause they don't think you have the minerals to just leave then gently caress them.

Going back to them and saying "well somebody thinks I'm worth it" with a better offer in hand hoping they will match or beat it just seems like folly. All of the points about not accepting a counter are true unless you are already easily replaceable.

In a corporate setting, your boss usually wants to pay you more too. It makes her job much easier. The naysayer is usually much higher up in the organization.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

deported to Canada posted:

I have never worked anywhere where anyone below the C-Suite had the power to unilaterally and quickly grant raises. That trope is not realistic, your boss doesn't really get any direct benefit from your lower salary and frequently has few levers to use to increase it dramatically. You having a counter offer can make that possible.

While I think generally it's better not to take a counter, there are definitely reasons to consider it in certain situations. I think pp had enough going on that it probably doesn't make sense but I've seen it work out positively enough times that I think your kind of thinking based on a misunderstanding of how front line management works in today's world is why people think people's bosses are "holding out on them."

Not a Children posted:

There’s also the practical matter that if you negotiate a raise even in the best of times there’s all the more incentive to start looking for your cheaper replacement. Counteroffers should only be accepted under the circumstance that there is an understanding that your role will be recontextualized by the new pay/responsibilities

I agree with the second part but I think "your boss starts looking for a cheaper replacement" is also outdated. People are expensive to replace, and expensive to train, and you just showed your replacement market rate is already higher.

What it does do is kill your political capital in most situations making further moves a lot more difficult. It's probably best used to take another step rather than just a straight pay raise like you mentioned, especially if the place is smaller.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Mniot posted:

That feels like bad advice. Why would you start out from a position of non-negotiation?

You should keep in mind why you decided to leave. If it's "I hate my boss" then a 25% raise isn't a good counteroffer. But knowing that such an offer is possible is valuable information all the same IMO. You could even re-open negotiation with your new company: "my current employer just made a counteroffer of $x. I'm still really excited to come work for you so do you think you can match this?"

I think a lot of this thread is of the opinion that your current job must have treated you like crap for you to be looking to leave. Even if the culture was fine, they didn't give you a raise or promotion when you deserved it. Therefore, gently caress 'em and don't look back. I'm not arguing for loyalty, but I think your new job will also not give you a raise or promotion you deserve. Therefore, if the only reason you want to change jobs is money and your old job is suddenly offering more, why not consider it?

Again, common anti-counter wisdom is that now you've shown disloyalty and you'll be replaced immediately with someone cheaper. But that's true already -- if someone offered to do your job for 80% pay you'd be out on your rear end no matter how loyal you are.

There are definitely companies that exist where it's known that the only way to get a raise is to get an offer somewhere else. In those jobs, you likely won't get put on the disloyal/too expensive/chop first list, but at the same time... why the hell would you keep working there? That means they know other places are paying better/market rates and they're just holding out and being cheap. Might as well move onto somewhere that might not be so drat cheap.

(And yeah I've worked for a company like this before and did the whole counteroffer-to-get-a-raise thing. I didn't know any better because it was my first non-part-time office job, but I sure as hell know better now.)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Lockback posted:

I agree with the second part but I think "your boss starts looking for a cheaper replacement" is also outdated. People are expensive to replace, and expensive to train, and you just showed your replacement market rate is already higher.

But think of the savings now that they aren't paying you anymore :pseudo:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Lol I've practically begged directs to get a counter so I can go wave it at HR or they can go get paid somewhere else because I know they're worth more but can't do anything without the leverage.

However, some managers love their illusion of power, mistake themselves for owners or have compensation tied to staff salaries. So, caveat worker.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

We've been over it many times already in this thread so I won't belabor it further, but I think Lockback is mistaken about this. His perspective may be skewed because he's been blessed with a career path where he doesn't realize how normal it is for corporations to agree to an about-to-depart employee's ask just as a temporary measure, because it's better/cheaper for the company to part ways with the employee on a timetable of their choosing.

In many industries the job market is super tight right now, so the timetable for "we've worked out a cheaper replacement for you now so we're letting you go, here's a box to clean out your things" may turn out to be more like a couple years than the traditional 3-6 months. But the smart move is almost always to go work for the company that just demonstrated it actually values you at the higher salary.

It definitely is valid and important to understand that when you ask your boss for a raise, you're asking the C-suite for a raise, and they do not give a poo poo about you. It will be strictly a cold business value decision (with inadequate information at that, because few people are dumb enough to expose the C-suite to reality) and your boss has nothing to do with it. The logic of "I like and trust my boss so I'll stay if they make promises etc." is wildly errant even if your boss is genuinely great.

If your employer you just gave notice to actually genuinely values you and wants to keep you around long term, it will be immediately obvious, because something very much like this will happen:

Not a Children posted:

Example: buddy of mine was making $115k at a company that he worked and excelled at for 5 years. He figured his time there had run its course, so he started looking. Got an offer for $150k, put in his notice. His boss and the CEO freaked out and took concrete action. They offered him $170k and a director role. He accepted with the understanding that he would be calling shots in terms of design and hiring (which he had a strong role in anyway but was compensated far less because that’s what companies do if you let them).

But it's rare.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think it's totally fine to accept a counteroffer provided you are cognizant of the risks, if there are compelling other reasons to do so.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think it's totally fine to accept a counteroffer provided you are cognizant of the risks, if there are compelling other reasons to do so.

I think this is the best advice, I think its mostly not optimal but also not super crazy that it might be a good move at the time. I also don't see harm in getting a counter that you have no intention of taking, it gives you another data point on market.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oops, something came up and I forgot I posted here, sorry :)

leper khan posted:

What's your BATNA exactly?
At the moment it's staying on my rear end :ssh: as I haven't interviewed to get an offer elsewhere so far. I like the job and the new team so I don't necessarily want to bail to get the last couple % I might get elsewhere (not to mention I still have unvested shares).

Suppose I had an offer for 20% more as the overall market seems to indicate, then just ask for a promotion and show that offer?

Arquinsiel posted:

This requires an examination as to why they can't. Whatever the answer to that is will probably be why you get told no.

Hiring freeze/pause, like google's. We have money, and our area achieved 111% of the target YTD. So it's probably just to make wall street happy as the stonk's been in the shitter just like everyone's.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

If you leave on good terms, some organizations love a good boomerang story when you come back after ~2 years.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Suppose I had an offer for 20% more as the overall market seems to indicate, then just ask for a promotion and show that offer?

A note on doing this, only do this if you are 100% willing to take the offer if they don't match. Having a bluff called basically cements you as a guy who doesn't need any further compensation.

Democratic Pirate posted:

If you leave on good terms, some organizations love a good boomerang story when you come back after ~2 years.

Also very true

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lockback posted:

I think this is the best advice, I think its mostly not optimal but also not super crazy that it might be a good move at the time. I also don't see harm in getting a counter that you have no intention of taking, it gives you another data point on market.

Definitely agree with this.

In pillowpants' particular case though he was asked "what would it take to keep you?" So if he asks for $X and they agree to it he can't then back out without being the bad guy (even though it's likely they're forgetting to mention they intend to pay him only temporarily). That's different from them offering $X and you saying no. He can always say "I can't share the details of my new compensation package even indirectly, but I'll listen if you want to make an offer" or he can just name a number high enough that he would be willing to accept it and bear the risks. And a promotion, if that's a theoretical possibility in the org structure.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 21, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm actually glad my boss decided not to make me an offer, because I would have seriously considered it, although I doubt he would ever have matched anyway.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Eric the Mauve posted:

He can just name a number high enough that he would be willing to accept it and bear the risks.

I recently did this and they couldn’t get there. I think it’s perfectly reasonable, but I work (almost past tense) for a huge company with a very well established “dive and save” process. I have a friend who has successfully done it twice now and still hasn’t been replaced.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think I might have spiked one of my upcoming negotiations by acknowledging that I'm not in a high cost-of-living area in the preliminary interview, but the other person was the one who told me what the ranges are, and they seemed all right to me, so maybe it's not as bad as it could be?

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

It definitely is valid and important to understand that when you ask your boss for a raise, you're asking the C-suite for a raise, and they do not give a poo poo about you. It will be strictly a cold business value decision (with inadequate information at that, because few people are dumb enough to expose the C-suite to reality) and your boss has nothing to do with it. The logic of "I like and trust my boss so I'll stay if they make promises etc." is wildly errant even if your boss is genuinely great.

Quoting for truth. I wish I had seen this advice three years ago when I started pushing for a raise. My manager was (I believed) genuinely supportive and sent me down the track of having my position re-evaluated with HR, but when the time came to have it signed off by the C-suite they didn't want a bar of it. My manager would have known that the whole time. I appreciated her support but would have rather heard that the more practical solution was finding another job.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mobby_6kl posted:

Hiring freeze/pause, like google's. We have money, and our area achieved 111% of the target YTD. So it's probably just to make wall street happy as the stonk's been in the shitter just like everyone's.
Sounds like your BATNA of unemployment isn't as bad as it otherwise might be!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think I might have spiked one of my upcoming negotiations by acknowledging that I'm not in a high cost-of-living area in the preliminary interview, but the other person was the one who told me what the ranges are, and they seemed all right to me, so maybe it's not as bad as it could be?
Is the cost of living range big enough to be a significant percentage for the role? If you're 100% remote I can see it mattering, but if its butts in seat then I think the seat's CoL probably affects things more.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arquinsiel posted:

Is the cost of living range big enough to be a significant percentage for the role? If you're 100% remote I can see it mattering, but if its butts in seat then I think the seat's CoL probably affects things more.

It is remote, alas.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If the offer is still good by they'd pay you more if you were in a higher CoL area then consider it to be equivalent to the 25% premium you'd charge for making you get up before 9AM.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Definitely agree with this.

In pillowpants' particular case though he was asked "what would it take to keep you?" So if he asks for $X and they agree to it he can't then back out without being the bad guy (even though it's likely they're forgetting to mention they intend to pay him only temporarily). That's different from them offering $X and you saying no. He can always say "I can't share the details of my new compensation package even indirectly, but I'll listen if you want to make an offer" or he can just name a number high enough that he would be willing to accept it and bear the risks. And a promotion, if that's a theoretical possibility in the org structure.

If you’ve been following my story here at all you’ll know I won’t take any sort of counter.

I hired a temp in December 2020 after my employee quit to move up somewhere else. The idea was to FIL lthe gap before girl someone else.

5 months later, they offer the temp my loving job and move me down a notch (everybody involved in this was pushed out of the company later that year) so I’ve been reporting to a person I hired to report to me, for 14 months.

She accepted it because she needed a job and honesty she’s awesome, and treated me as an equal the entire time - even got me a raise this year despite them telling me I wouldn’t get one.

The reason it took me so long to find a role is 2 fold. The one shared here is that I have a bankruptcy on my record and it prevented me from moving to a few roles, but the reality is that I interviewed at 35 places, had 14 offers (besides the one rescinded) and they all couldn’t meet what I wanted.

My wife is a SAHM and one of my kids is autistic so I needed the insurance to be good.

This new company is literally helping the world and my base pay is a 50k bump….

And I’m probably taking the person who took my job with me because she hates the company too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
Good for you and your fam, goon. Sounds like a well earned achievement after some very hard work.