Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there's a very fine line between comedic ironic nihilism and socioeconomic or ethnofascist genocide, and i am perpetually on the correct side of it, so just follow my lead if you get lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
murder is bad

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Isentropy posted:

S/he has a point. It is only useful really for marking who's really stupid about the whole thing.

it only ever comes up when an utterly british poster goes off about population control being good actually.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Zodium posted:

it only ever comes up when an utterly british poster goes off about population control being good actually.

that poster, of course, is boris johnson

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
China's one child policy seemed pretty dope imo. Ethic minorities got exceptions too, it only applied to the perfidious Han.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Fly Molo is the whiniest turd on this site and I will not suffer his crime of being himself in a thread I read.

wtf just put him on ignore then

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Fly Molo is the whiniest turd on this site and I will not suffer his crime of being himself in a thread I read.

sigh

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Corbeau posted:

That sure does seem to be the plan of the status quo.

Yes, but plans need many hands for enforcement. Our current system has so many folks the noble spammer can detest, spitting at them, so forth but they are part of the enforcement of an econimic regime that while they might detest also benefit from. It's why you never see a lefty picking up a gun and going hog wild, ultimately they still have too much to lose, know it wont do anything, etc. As more and more people have to move around, the contradiction between the global northerner and southerner will increasing visible instead of hidden away through 'supply chains', squirreled away into factories, farms and what not. The focus on population is the global northerner saying this: You are going to force me to choose. When the choice is between an uncertain solidarity and the devil you know, when the stability of the people you know depends upon the status quo you sneered at your whole life then I have some doubts that folks will be willing to break for their principles rather than bend.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

Yes, but plans need many hands for enforcement. Our current system has so many folks the noble spammer can detest, spitting at them, so forth but they are part of the enforcement of an econimic regime that while they might detest also benefit from. It's why you never see a lefty picking up a gun and going hog wild, ultimately they still have too much to lose, know it wont do anything, etc. As more and more people have to move around, the contradiction between the global northerner and southerner will become actually visible instead of hidden away through 'supply chains' and squirelled away into factories and farms and what not. The focus on population is the global northerner saying this: You are going to force me to choose. When the choice is between an uncertain solidarity and the devil you know, when the stability of the people you know depends upon it, I have some doubts that folks will be willing to break for their principles rather than bend.

[israeli climate change doomer narrowing his eyes looking at palestinian birth rates] education. birth control. women's rights. they dont understand these things.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I was thinking of dongicus when i wrote that to inject as much anime villian atmosphere int here as i could. i hope hes pleased.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

its just a fact that the earth can only carry exactly enough people for me to keep my treats

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The existence of cities is the treat

Can't have em

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Most of the worst offenders have sub-replacement birth rates.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.TFRT.IN?most_recent_value_desc=false

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

Yes, but plans need many hands for enforcement. Our current system has so many folks the noble spammer can detest, spitting at them, so forth but they are part of the enforcement of an econimic regime that while they might detest also benefit from. It's why you never see a lefty picking up a gun and going hog wild, ultimately they still have too much to lose, know it wont do anything, etc. As more and more people have to move around, the contradiction between the global northerner and southerner will increasing visible instead of hidden away through 'supply chains', squirreled away into factories, farms and what not. The focus on population is the global northerner saying this: You are going to force me to choose. When the choice is between an uncertain solidarity and the devil you know, when the stability of the people you know depends upon the status quo you sneered at your whole life then I have some doubts that folks will be willing to break for their principles rather than bend.

that’s right.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Fly Molo posted:

hey thorn

sinophobic dipshit liberals gently caress off

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

hosed up ban, Fly Molo is in the right here.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/full_slack/status/1549565555681611776

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/pol...pgtype=homepage

The Chinese paddlefish and Yangtze sturgeon have been ruled as extinct and extinct in the wild. They were the largest freshwater fish in the Yangtze River.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

We should try to glorify beautiful American climate innovation like the Hyperloop sometimes so we stay objective, focused, and balanced

^ keeping fish alive in urban rivers is hard. The Don River has basically none left, Humber has stocked salmon and a few others

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 12:56 on Jul 22, 2022

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Thinking about all the fossil fuels inputs that allow our current massive overpopulation (doubled in the last 50 years) and how nothing bad will happen once those inputs are shut simultaneously with global conditions worsening. If anything we should have more people.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Zodium posted:

i think we can solve climate change by brutally executing the six and a half billion people who consume the least resources.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah I think that sucks garbage and it's exactly why I banned that guy - this thread is about biosphere collapse. Post about biosphere collapse or you can take a long break.

people embarrassing themselves and doubling down is an inherent part of biosphere collapse. watch westerners humiliate and reveal themselves daily!

piece of poo poo

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
My brain is biological, spherical, and collapsing

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Good explainer on the jet stream / heatwaves

https://www.ft.com/content/bb9ecca3-c914-489d-af7d-06df6010d1ea (paywalled)

quote:

The deadly heatwaves that have fuelled blazes and caused transport disruptions in Europe, the US and China this month have one thing in common: a peculiar shape in the jet stream dubbed “wavenumber 5”.

Scientists are racing to understand whether the band of fast-moving air that controls weather in the mid-latitudes is changing in a way that makes heatwaves more frequent and persistent.

“The jet stream is the leading driver of our weather,” explains Paul Williams, professor of atmospheric science at the University of Reading. “The jet stream is like a conveyor belt, delivering storms to us one after the other.”

Add "wavenumber 5" to the list of sinister lexicon, alongside "meltwater pulse" and "blue ocean event"

quote:

It can also generate heatwaves when it forms into a U-bend shape, called an “omega block” because it resembles the shape of the Greek letter omega.

Right now, a global pattern of five big waves is circling the world, leading to simultaneous heatwaves across continents. This pattern, known as wavenumber 5, can persist for weeks, causing hot areas to stay hot for a long time.

In China, more than 900m people are experiencing heatwaves, and more than 70 weather stations have broken records this month. In the US, Texas and Oklahoma are experiencing record-high daily temperatures, and more than 20 states have issued heat warnings.

The UK also recorded its highest-ever temperature this week — 40.3C — while France and Spain have been battling wildfires after an extreme heatwave that has lasted for weeks and set temperature records.

“As often happens in the atmosphere, it is connected: if we see an extreme event in one place, it can be connected to extreme events in another,” says Stephen Belcher, chief scientist at the UK Met Office. “The Met Office forecasters are looking very, very closely at this wavenumber 5 pattern to see how long it persists,” he added.

quote:

Belcher says three factors contributed to the heatwave over Europe: the wavenumber 5 pattern in the jet stream; the increase in global average temperatures; and the dry soils, particularly around the Mediterranean, resulting from prolonged hot weather.

Dim Coumou, a climate scientist at VU Amsterdam, says there are two important patterns in the jet stream in summer — with five waves, or with seven waves — that tend to remain in the same place when they form. “If such wave patterns become stagnant and persist over longer periods, then we typically see simultaneous heatwaves.”

A growing body of research is trying to answer the question of how exactly the jet stream is being changed by global warming and what this means for future weather patterns. Temperatures have already risen by about 1.1C since pre-industrial times due to human activity.

The jet stream itself appears to be changing its behaviour over the long term and slowing down in summer — which can make the “omega block” pattern more likely.

Jennifer Francis, an atmospheric scientist at Woodwell Climate Research Center, says the rapid warming of the Arctic region appears to be the cause of this slowdown.

“There is a general decrease in the winds in summer,” says Francis. “The reason there is a jet stream at all, is because it is cold to the north, and warm to the south, and that temperature difference creates [the condition for the jet stream],” she said.

quote:

Because the Arctic is warming much faster than the rest of the planet, there is less temperature difference between those air masses now.

Some of the jet stream behaviour is still unexplained: “Over the Atlantic, the jet has shifted south in summer,” says Tim Woollings, author of Jet Stream and professor of atmospheric physics at Oxford. “Whereas we were expecting it to shift north in response to climate change.”

The heatwave that the UK recently experienced is “just a little taster” :yum: of what the rest of Europe experienced, says Woollings. “The real event is over Spain and France,” he says.

The UK experienced two days of extremely high temperatures on Monday and Tuesday before the weather cooled off; Spain and France have seen elevated temperatures for weeks.

As global average temperatures increase, climate models show that heatwaves will get hotter. However, it could be years before researchers know precisely how global warming is influencing these patterns of the jet stream.

“We need a very long record of observation,” says Williams. “It might be decades, or even a century, before we convincingly detect any changes.”

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
nah whatever everything is fine and good

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lollontee posted:

it sure seems like america as a society is making the decision to just ignore the whole problem and hope it goes away. do people around you actually talk to each other about climate change? like, unprompted by your doomsingers thimbre

my boss unprompted starting talking about climate change yesterday when we went out for lunch

specifically he trotted out the "i know it's happening but how do we know it's people doing it?" line

i basically said "models are the best predictor we've got, they've proven true so far, and if anything they've underestimated the impact so far" and he shut up about it

same guy used to think ol' musky is a genius and after finally talking him out of that over several conversations i don't think i care enough to talk him out of this position

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cold on a Cob posted:

my boss unprompted starting talking about climate change yesterday when we went out for lunch

specifically he trotted out the "i know it's happening but how do we know it's people doing it?" line

i basically said "models are the best predictor we've got, they've proven true so far, and if anything they've underestimated the impact so far" and he shut up about it

same guy used to think ol' musky is a genius and after finally talking him out of that over several conversations i don't think i care enough to talk him out of this position

eh, changing people's opinions over time can be worth the effort, if they're capable of introspection. i take it he isn't

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lollontee posted:

eh, changing people's opinions over time can be worth the effort, if they're capable of introspection. i take it he isn't

sure but he's my boss and i don't feel like pissing him off

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cold on a Cob posted:

sure but he's my boss and i don't feel like pissing him off

pussy

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

i completely carpet-bombed my career by being the "speak truth to power" guy in the past but now i have a partner to support so i don't gently caress around find out at work anymore

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
tbh if you did actually convince him that Musk is a conman and not a tech genius, he probably thinks you're smart and said that unprompted to get your take on it. A lot of people who only get their news from TV have only been exposed to the information/arguments that are repeated ad nauseam, and it isn't until they repeat it to someone who knows better that they get actual, useful information.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cold on a Cob posted:

i completely carpet-bombed my career by being the "speak truth to power" guy in the past but now i have a partner to support so i don't gently caress around find out at work anymore

yep, that's the pills breaking de breain. anyway, good on you for still trying. don't get fired

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

tbh if you did actually convince him that Musk is a conman and not a tech genius, he probably thinks you're smart and said that unprompted to get your take on it. A lot of people who only get their news from TV have only been exposed to the information/arguments that are repeated ad nauseam, and it isn't until they repeat it to someone who knows better that they get actual, useful information.

yeah, but the problem is that you can react to the idea that you know less than this weirdo, whos probably a secret commie too, you got working for you. indignation, fascination, rejection and acceptance are all possible, depending on full of himself the bossmang happen to be

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lollontee posted:

yep, that's the pills breaking de breain. anyway, good on you for still trying. don't get fired

yeah, i was being a bit hyperbolic there and i've never gone full mad-as-hell NEtwork speech at work, but i have said a few things i'm surprised i didn't get fired for like calling an executive a liar to his face in a meeting with my entire team and my boss present. maybe because i'm in canada, or maybe because that guy was only two months into the position, idk.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

lollontee posted:

yeah, but the problem is that you can react to the idea that you know less than this weirdo, whos probably a secret commie too, you got working for you. indignation, fascination, rejection and acceptance are all possible, depending on full of himself the bossmang happen to be

yep exactly, i did respond with my honest opinion this time and left it at that. i'm fine with sharing my opinion with him but i don't want him to think i'm foaming at the mouth or start down a conversation that ends with me debating him on which ideology has killed more people in human history, etc etc. with the musk thing i went into rant mode a few times and that's the sort of career-limiting move i should probably avoid.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Cold on a Cob posted:

there are jobs out there in the non-profit and government sectors, but you gotta make sure to start lining those up before you start making others sad and challenging their false preconceptions

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Can't speak to any specific situation but I've found through experience random people are much less likely to be offended by cspam-ish opinions than anyone who tends to feel personally invested in politics like a cable news junkie, nonprofit or government employee.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

it isn’t an opinion if it’s evidenced

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Not sure how that's relevant but thanks for the clarification

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
How to not die from heat on a too-hot planet

i found this pretty interesting and actionable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009