Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Aipsh posted:

I know someone working there (not in academics, but working with it) who literally heard nothing of this till they saw the tweet??

If they're not in UCU, the only noise being made about it comes in the form of lovely passive agressive emails from the principal Colin Bailey. The uni has taken an incredibly hard line on ASOS (action short of a strike, or working to contract). Anyone who missed teaching as they were on strike, then did not make up that teaching as they subsequently on ASOS, was threatened with 100% duductions until the teaching was made up, despite the fact these people would now be back at work full time. Then anyone involved in the marking boycott was threatened with 100% deductions from the day the assigments were given out to markers until the marks were handed in. This means we might as well have just been on strike for the whole period in terms of our pay.

Bailey is essentially attempting to break UCU, as marking boycotts and ASOS have been really useful tools in past industrial action. If they can make us accept these deductions for non strike action, it's basically the end of any industrial action in academia as there will be no point taking any action except a full strike, which would quickly become financially unsustainable.

QMUCU has had ~30 strike days so far this year, we're on 40 or so days of marking boycott. Most other universities have come to a local arrangement about it all, but our management refuse to budge at all. Honestly it sucks being a leftie in STEM. I was one of two people in my entire institue to join the strikes, everyone else just doesn't seem to care about their pay and conditions getting worse and, worse year on year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

SpaceCommie posted:

If they're not in UCU, the only noise being made about it comes in the form of lovely passive agressive emails from the principal Colin Bailey. The uni has taken an incredibly hard line on ASOS (action short of a strike, or working to contract). Anyone who missed teaching as they were on strike, then did not make up that teaching as they subsequently on ASOS, was threatened with 100% duductions until the teaching was made up, despite the fact these people would now be back at work full time. Then anyone involved in the marking boycott was threatened with 100% deductions from the day the assigments were given out to markers until the marks were handed in. This means we might as well have just been on strike for the whole period in terms of our pay.

Bailey is essentially attempting to break UCU, as marking boycotts and ASOS have been really useful tools in past industrial action. If they can make us accept these deductions for non strike action, it's basically the end of any industrial action in academia as there will be no point taking any action except a full strike, which would quickly become financially unsustainable.

QMUCU has had ~30 strike days so far this year, we're on 40 or so days of marking boycott. Most other universities have come to a local arrangement about it all, but our management refuse to budge at all. Honestly it sucks being a leftie in STEM. I was one of two people in my entire institue to join the strikes, everyone else just doesn't seem to care about their pay and conditions getting worse and, worse year on year.

Thanks - I suppose my big question is how could it possibly be legal for the university to give people payslips of literally £0.00 when they have been working for 21 days in the month?

I’m assuming there’s some sort of vague clause in contracts and/or they’re just hoping the government says it’s fine and makes it an encouraged method of strike breaking?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Aipsh posted:

Thanks - I suppose my big question is how could it possibly be legal for the university to give people payslips of literally £0.00 when they have been working for 21 days in the month?

I’m assuming there’s some sort of vague clause in contracts and/or they’re just hoping the government says it’s fine and makes it an encouraged method of strike breaking?

Not an expert but surely you should at least get paid for the work you have done? Something something "quantum meruit"?

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Aipsh posted:

I've not been marking so i'm not sure about the exact next steps, but these things can only be contested in court after deductions have taken place, which is now likely to happen. We'll have to wait and see what the judgement is on it. Our strike fund doing OK and the union has a wage sharing scheme should those funds run dry, but I imagine a lot of my colleagues are really hurting from this right now. I hope, for them, that the university is utterly humiliated in court.

The standard line in management emails has been "Queen Mary does not accept partial performance". I think the universities plan has been to try and bully us into backing down before it gets to court. It does sound like, outside of senior management, no one else actually wants to do this, or thinks it's a good idea.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Aipsh posted:

The rule is strike deductions are legal, but aren't one of the (very few) cases where you can go below minimum wage for hours worked. If you were on the clock you get paid. Even if you sign a contract saying otherwise you can just go to tribunal every three months until your employer stops being a prick.

The government will almost certainly seek to change the law if it comes up, but if the uni are actually handing out void payslips to staff, their legal team will be desperately trying to make them reconsider before your union get to drag them to a show trial

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lol

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1550365547983945731

e: Dover is apparently hosed. They've declared a critical incident and told people to avoid the town.

https://twitter.com/ABClimateAction/status/1550378633491087360

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 22, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ahahahahahahhahahaaha

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Do you think people waiting in multi-hour queues to get on a ferry in dover all live there or something?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the roads are blocked with vehicles, due to policies that most of the electorate there voted for, so it's going to be quite difficult for the local residents to use their cars and drive places

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So, good aircon recommendations? I saw Lidl had one but I assume they're all loving gone.

I held off thinking it would be pointless, we'd only use it a couple of days a year and I'd be too cheap to run it all day on hot days anyway, but honestly sitting and working from home in a brick house in 39 degree heat is not an experience I want to repeat. Even if I only run it a few times a year it'd be worth it, and it's not like these heatwaves are going to start happening less often.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Dover port authority is of course blaming the French for causing delays in clearing UK traffic. Or, as those of us who don't marry our first cousins like to put it: for doing what we told them to do.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's cool that we did Brexit to prove that it wouldn't work. I think that shows excellent foresight

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Surprise T Rex posted:

So, good aircon recommendations? I saw Lidl had one but I assume they're all loving gone.

I held off thinking it would be pointless, we'd only use it a couple of days a year and I'd be too cheap to run it all day on hot days anyway, but honestly sitting and working from home in a brick house in 39 degree heat is not an experience I want to repeat. Even if I only run it a few times a year it'd be worth it, and it's not like these heatwaves are going to start happening less often.

I used an Igenix and my biggest complaint on Monday/Tuesday when in my room was the cold air blowing out of it was making my left elbow too cold. The specific model seems to be out of production but my parents have this one and was apparently a Godsend for them and the dog https://www.amazon.co.uk/Igenix-IG9909-Conditioner-Dehumidifier-Programmable/dp/B095HQTVGT/

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Surprise T Rex posted:

I've got a standalone unit by Goodhome, bought it from Screwfix or Toolstation a few years back, it works well and like you I needed it for those few days/nights when it was just unbearable without. I also made a window template to get a good seal as I couldn't find one that would fit my skylight.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
wurwuugh stelluh wrinkly

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

crispix posted:

wurwuugh stelluh wrinkly

Heatstroke claims another goon

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

e: Dover is apparently hosed. They've declared a critical incident and told people to avoid the town.

EU plan proceeding as intended, soon the only way to get in and out of the UK will be via the Irish border... checkmate DUP!!!!!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Convex posted:

It's cool that we did Brexit to prove that it wouldn't work. I think that shows excellent foresight

I did have to laugh that Truss has recanted her previous Remain position, ostensibly based on the fact that the worst predictions didn't (?!) come to pass. It must be fairly reassuring to the Tory membership to know that their leaders will happily lie their arses off for a sniff of power.

(And very nice that autocorrect will change "lie" to "line" for me, though it is certainly true that they will also happily line their pockets too)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Marmaduke! posted:

I did have to laugh that Truss has recanted her previous Remain position, ostensibly based on the fact that the worst predictions didn't (?!) come to pass. It must be fairly reassuring to the Tory membership to know that their leaders will happily lie their arses off for a sniff of power.

(And very nice that autocorrect will change "lie" to "line" for me, though it is certainly true that they will also happily line their pockets too)

I mean she was an avowed republican and lib dem youth wing leader at one point, so she has practice.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol Kate Middleton is trending on Twitter because she demanded Meghan Markle wear tights to her own wedding and was surprised and extremely angry when the bridge-to-be told her no, leading to the hashtag #DuchessOfTights

e.g.

https://twitter.com/shae90_shae/status/1550205509269131265

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

lol Kate Middleton is trending on Twitter because she demanded Meghan Markle wear tights to her own wedding and was surprised and extremely angry when the bridge-to-be told her no, leading to the hashtag #DuchessOfTights

e.g.

This is the type of royal drama people really want. Not serious stuff (take note prince andrew).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well, it fits into the more serious wider issue that the royal family is super racist and Markle being half-darkie made them furious.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Kate Middleclass sailing a little close to the wind, there.

:ssh: You married in, you got a good thing going, don't rock the boat.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1550365547983945731

But imagine all that treasure though, so many piss filled bottles and bags of poo poo all over the place.
There's gold on them thar roads!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Well, it fits into the more serious wider issue that the royal family is super racist and Markle being half-darkie made them furious.

I must have misunderstood the context.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jippa posted:

I must have misunderstood the context.

It's basically that Kate looks down on Meghan and treated her like poo poo constantly.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Only Kindness posted:

:ssh: You married in, you got a good thing going, don't rock the boat.

Surely not being actively racist in the royal family would be rocking the boat even more

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Brexit: UK's divorce bill from EU could rise to £42.5bn

quote:

Originally, the government estimated the bill, which covers spending commitments made during the UK's membership of the EU, would be between £35bn and £39bn.

A ministerial statement, published on Thursday this week as Parliament broke up for summer, says "the latest estimate of £42.5bn shows an increase against the original range".

Mr Clarke's statement says the increase is "primarily due to the most recent valuation of the UK's obligation under Article 142 for EU pensions".

He cited assumptions about inflation - in other words rising prices over time - as one of the main drivers of the increase.

"However, given this is a multi-decade liability, the variables used in this forecast will continue to fluctuate up and down," Mr Clarke said.

good thing we have a massive, unfixed multi-decade liability going into the biggest economic depression of all time

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

e.g.

This makes no sense to me. Why would this be something worth making a fuss about?

These people need real jobs so they don't have the energy to waste on this poo poo. Find a place for Kate doing 8.5 hour days at her local Tesco.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Convex posted:

Brexit: UK's divorce bill from EU could rise to £42.5bn

good thing we have a massive, unfixed multi-decade liability going into the biggest economic depression of all time

Brexit was a years long project to sink the pound and profit from it. The harder the brexit, the lower the pound, the more money they made.
Everything, petrol prices, the increasing cost, is due to the pound being hilariously low (<1.2 dollars now!) but as this was the whole point (and how they are making the fortune from it), then just see how the press avoids actually mentioning it at all.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

OzyMandrill posted:

... just see how the press avoids actually mentioning it at all.

They wouldn't want to embarrass themselves unduly, surely.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I can't imagine Kate being assertive enough to demand stuff of anyone tbh.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

you can't imagine a member of the royal family demanding things?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

This is exactly how I imagine it being let alone a wedding.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

happyhippy posted:

But imagine all that treasure though, so many piss filled bottles and bags of poo poo all over the place.
There's gold on them thar roads!

The mayor of Dover turned to the crowd, and holding the piss bottle aloft, proclaimed, "pecunia non olet!"

see, Johnson, that's how you do a half-remembered classical reference

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

One of her kids is going to be the monarch in the future. Head of the Commonwealth. One of the biggest landlords in the country.
And her husband almost certainly had an affair with someone much less attractive than her.

Being a oval office to everyone you deem less worthy than you is pretty much baked into her role now. Probably a decent survival strategy, too, if she doesn't want to avoid underpasses for the rest of her life.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Phillip may be long gone but if you listen carefully on quiet nights you can still hear the sinister revving of a white fiat uno looking for the next royal to forget the rules

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Kieth should be Miles ahead but the , erm, *checks notes* Tories being absolutely loving useless and presiding over a shitshow is holding him back!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/22/labour-tory-leadership-keir-starmer-conservative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That column seems pretty reasonable tbh

quote:

In Labour’s defence, during a Tory leadership race it is even harder than usual to get journalists and voters interested in what Labour is up to. Last week, Starmer went to Berlin to meet arguably Europe’s most important politician, the German chancellor, Olaf Scholz, who won power last year through a cautious and not very charismatic centre-left approach. Yet, despite the obvious parallels with what Starmer hopes to achieve, British coverage of the visit was sparse. Such incuriosity about Labour, like the national obsession with the Tories, can be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But Starmer has also not done enough, so far, to show he is a fresher option than whoever the Tory members choose as premier. His lack of leftwing policies – supposedly a shrewd strategy, according to the New Labour logic he appears to be following – means that what policies he has can be stolen by the new Tory leader, as Labour’s relatively small-scale windfall tax on the energy companies already has been. A Starmer premiership might well be very different from a Conservative one – kinder, more competent, less corrupt – yet his repetitive, no-frills political style means that his leadership has aged quite fast. Compared with the novelty of a new Tory premier, he risks looking stale.