Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

CommieGIR posted:

The inverse being true: There is little evidence that battery deployments will ever meet or outpace our energy demand, so that also seems like a dead end. Might as well give up now, because we wouldn't want to invest in long term projects regardless of the real, proven benefit.

Yeah agreed. Overbuilding batteries isn't a great solution when the batteries in question only last 2-4 hours and are designed with summer loads and peaker gas plants in mind. They're great for what they do, but they're not going to replace power plants any more than your kettle is going to replace your hot water boiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DTurtle posted:

To be honest, I'm not too versed in all the subtleties of green hydrogen.

It's not a thing. Hydrogen comes from steam reformation of natural gas.

If you had abundant nuclear power, you could get it from cracking seawater. If you have abundant renewables, you could use hydrogen to load-shift, cracking seawater into hydrogen when the wind blows and burning the hydrogen when the wind doesn't.

But in no case is it a method of generating power.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

The inverse being true: There is little evidence that battery deployments will ever meet or outpace our energy demand, so that also seems like a dead end. Might as well give up now, because we wouldn't want to invest in long term projects regardless of the real, proven benefit.
Obviously, energy storage is still a growing market. I can't imagine the energy demand growing faster than this:

Source
Obviously at some point that will slow down, but we don't know at what rate of new storage that will be.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 21, 2022

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Phanatic posted:

It's not a thing. Hydrogen comes from steam reformation of natural gas.
It is currently not much of a thing.

quote:

But in no case is it a method of generating power.
Umm, we are talking about using green hydrogen as a storage solution. Not as a free energy solution.

quote:

If you had abundant nuclear power, you could get it from cracking seawater. If you have abundant renewables, you could use hydrogen to load-shift, cracking seawater into hydrogen when the wind blows and burning the hydrogen when the wind doesn't.
Thank you. That is exactly the plan.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Owling Howl posted:

Yes but that is less likely to happen than a majority renewable grid. Popular opposition and NIMBYism are frustrating but they are real world factors that gets priced in to any project. Sticking to a purely technical analysis and ignoring politics is a pointless exercise.

So it sounds like either we overcome popular opposition and NIMBYism or climate change kills us all.

I don't understand this total lack of imagination where we have to worry about how poo poo works right now. Fixing this problem, if there was the actual political will to do it, would involve solutions mankind has not yet tried.

To put it another way, they're not gonna be worried about popular opposition and NIMBYism when they're blacking out the sun to buy the Earth a few more decades.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

DTurtle posted:

Thank you. That is exactly the plan.

Green hydrogen isn't the plan, the plan is to rebrand Russian fossil gas as "clean energy". Europe is not even close to being able to supply its current electricity needs with renewables, much less electrify its transportation, heating, and industry, then start creating green hydrogen at 30% efficiency. On the other hand, there's a rainbow of "transitional hydrogen types" available from gas, oil, and coal that the fossil fuel companies are itching to sell (and collect carbon subsidies on like biomass). It's greenwashing, pure and simple. There is an absolute ton of this thread dedicated to the rise and fall of hydrogen over the last 10 years.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 21, 2022

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

WampaLord posted:

So it sounds like either we overcome popular opposition and NIMBYism or climate change kills us all.

I don't understand this total lack of imagination where we have to worry about how poo poo works right now. Fixing this problem, if there was the actual political will to do it, would involve solutions mankind has not yet tried.

To put it another way, they're not gonna be worried about popular opposition and NIMBYism when they're blacking out the sun to buy the Earth a few more decades.

If the only alternative to immediate massive construction of nuclear is for climate change to kill us all then climate change will kill us all because we're not currently building or planning on building any appreciable amount of nuclear in the near future.

The perfect ideal scenario is for the government to nationalize the energy sector and start building all the nuclear. Also they should give us UHC, UBI, free college and massively build out public housing and transportation. The government should do many things that it is not going to do unless the political landscape dramatically changes.

Currently it looks like we will have very modest growth in nuclear and a lot more additions of wind and solar. Wind/solar costs have not plateaued yet and may not do so for some years. Green hydrogen plays into this since we will need to produce it for industry, shipping, planes and for heating in some places. Australia have quite large projects in the works but there's projects in Europe as well. That's the trajectory we're on. It's not ideal and we most likely can't get to zero emissions. Maybe the political landscape will change some time in the future and we can get more nuclear additions but that's not where we are now.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

In 1985, 35.9% of global electricity came from low-carbon sources. By 2021, that had skyrocketed up to 38.26%. If we're judging the future by how well we're doing, then we'll reach our 2040 net zero goal by approximately 2964.

https://ourworldindata.org/electricity-mix#:~:text=In%202019%2C%20almost%20two%2Dthirds,and%20nuclear%20energy%20for%2010.4%25.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Kaal posted:

In 1985, 35.9% of global electricity came from low-carbon sources. By 2021, that had skyrocketed up to 38.26%. If we're judging the future by how well we're doing, then we'll reach our 2040 net zero goal by approximately 2964.

https://ourworldindata.org/electricity-mix#:~:text=In%202019%2C%20almost%20two%2Dthirds,and%20nuclear%20energy%20for%2010.4%25.

“progress was slow because nuclear output declined at a time when renewables have been growing.”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DTurtle posted:

Obviously, energy storage is still a growing market. I can't imagine the energy demand growing faster than this:

Source
Obviously at some point that will slow down, but we don't know at what rate of new storage that will be.

That is wholly insufficient, again, we generate and consume hundred of terrawatts hours of just electricity a year.

You are talking about adding a couple hundred gigawatts of storages. That's not enough in any sense of the term.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah ok that French site lets you download the actual hourly data for the past year (though 2021 is 404 :tinfoil:) so I had to gently caress around with it of course.

If they went full Germany and shut down the nukes, it seems that they'd need to increase the solar installed capacity by 5x and wind by 11x to average a monthly surplus. Then to make sure you never actually run out... 30,000,000 mWh of storage capacity. It's getting very late so I might've hosed something up, but seems like a lot!

Obviously there could be different optimal permutations depending on what's most cost effective etc., and this allows no imports as well.

E: oops, seems like the data points are every 30 minutes, so just 15,000,000 mWh?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 21, 2022

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Kaal posted:

Green hydrogen isn't the plan, the plan is to rebrand Russian fossil gas as "clean energy". Europe is not even close to being able to supply its current electricity needs with renewables, much less electrify its transportation, heating, and industry, then start creating green hydrogen at 30% efficiency. On the other hand, there's a rainbow of "transitional hydrogen types" available from gas, oil, and coal that the fossil fuel companies are itching to sell (and collect carbon subsidies on like biomass). It's greenwashing, pure and simple. There is an absolute ton of this thread dedicated to the rise and fall of hydrogen over the last 10 years.
The plan is clean hydrogen, defined as hydrogen created via electrolysis with renewable energy. Since this doesn't exist yet, some transitional developments (including carbon capture, which I am extremely skeptical about) are being pushed as well. But the end goal is clean hydrogen. This is clear and open and publicly stated policy by the EU, with significant funds being invested into it.

quote:

EU Hydrogen Strategy (July 2020)

Introduction – Why we need a strategic road map for hydrogen

Hydrogen is enjoying a renewed and rapidly growing attention in Europe and around the world. Hydrogen can be used as a feedstock, a fuel or an energy carrier and storage, and has many possible applications across industry, transport, power and buildings sectors. Most importantly, it does not emit CO2 and almost no air pollution when used. It thus offers a solution to decarbonise industrial processes and economic sectors where reducing carbon emissions is both urgent and hard to achieve. All this makes hydrogen essential to support the EU’s commitment to reach carbon neutrality by 2050 and for the global effort to implement the Paris Agreement while working towards zero pollution.

Yet, today, hydrogen represents a modest fraction of the global and EU energy mix, and is still largely produced from fossil fuels, notably from natural gas or from coal, resulting in the release of 70 to 100 million tonnes CO2 annually in the EU. For hydrogen to contribute to climate neutrality, it needs to achieve a far larger scale and its production must become fully decarbonised.
In order to implement the ambition of the European Green Deal 14 and building on the Commission’s New Industrial Strategy for Europe 15 and its recovery plan 16 , this Communication sets out a vision of how the EU can turn clean hydrogen into a viable solution to decarbonise different sectors over time, installing at least 6 GW of renewable hydrogen electrolysers in the EU by 2024 and 40 GW of renewable hydrogen electrolysers by 2030. This Communication identifies the challenges to overcome, lays out the levers that the EU can mobilise and presents a roadmap of actions for the coming years.
The priority for the EU is to develop renewable hydrogen, produced using mainly wind and solar energy. Renewable hydrogen is the most compatible option with the EU’s climate neutrality and zero pollution goal in the long term and the most coherent with an integrated energy system. The choice for renewable hydrogen builds on European industrial strength in electrolyser production, will create new jobs and economic growth within the EU and support a cost-effective integrated energy system. On the way to 2050, renewable hydrogen should progressively be deployed at large scale alongside the roll-out of new renewable power generation, as technology matures and the costs of its production technologies decrease. This process must be initiated now.
In the first phase, from 2020 up to 2024, the strategic objective is to install at least 6 GW of renewable hydrogen electrolysers in the EU and the production of up to 1 million tonnes of renewable hydrogen 28 , to decarbonise existing hydrogen production, e.g. in the chemical sector and facilitating take up of hydrogen consumption in new end-use applications such as other industrial processes and possibly in heavy-duty transport.
In a second phase, from 2025 to 2030, hydrogen needs to become an intrinsic part of an integrated energy system with a strategic objective to install at least 40 GW of renewable hydrogen electrolysers by 2030 and the production of up to 10 million tonnes of renewable hydrogen in the EU 29 .
In a third phase, from 2030 onwards and towards 2050, renewable hydrogen technologies should reach maturity and be deployed at large scale to reach all hard-to-decarbonise sectors where other alternatives might not be feasible or have higher costs.

In this phase, renewable electricity production needs to massively increase as about a quarter 32 of renewable electricity might be used for renewable hydrogen production by 2050.
You might think some of that infeasible and be skeptical about it, but it doesn't change that it is stated policy by the EU.

Kaal posted:

I'm sure China constructing an insane amount of coal power plants had nothing to do with that.

CommieGIR posted:

That is wholly insufficient, again, we generate and consume hundred of terrawatts hours of just electricity a year.

You are talking about adding a couple hundred gigawatts of storages. That's not enough in any sense of the term.
Well, that is why most "serious" organizations are betting heavily on hydrogen generation for medium and long-term storage of energy.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Owling Howl posted:

Yes but that is less likely to happen than a majority renewable grid. Popular opposition and NIMBYism are frustrating but they are real world factors that gets priced in to any project. Sticking to a purely technical analysis and ignoring politics is a pointless exercise.

A plurality/majority renewable has always the goal. We can get non-hydro renewables to 40% with little issue. It's just how we get the remaining 60% that is the issue. The antinuclear folks think that if we just overbuild with enough non-hydro renewables the market will provide an energy storage solution. I don't have faith in the market and that wanting something really really really bad will end up making it happen.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

And there is no state currently demonstrate a wind/solar only grid, sorry. Even South Australia which gets held up as an example is largely backed by gas peakers and the rest of Australia burns fossil fuels like its going out of style.

Fossil fuels are going out of style in Australia. Coal assets are being written off, plant closures are being brought forward, new coal plants can't get funding.

You've got an excellent point that renewables are backed by fossils, but if progress is moving from 80% yearly generation coming from coal, to 70% coming from renewables and 30% from gas, well I'll take it. Current trajectory is something like over 80% renewables by 2030, so we won't have long to see if it's achievable.

Gas sure as hell isn't good or clean, but we're still burning brown coal ffs, which is only one step above wet newspapers.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Ultimately, I think there's little doubt that the same group of fossil fuel lobbyists that created Germany's failed Energiewende policies also promoted the "clean hydrogen" dream. The intent is clearly to hook Europe on Russian gas the same way that Germany is, with the rather empty promise that it will some day become low-carbon. But just as Germany's Putin-whispering was irresponsible foreign policy, converting all of Europe to fossil gas is irresponsible climate policy.

quote:

'Could Europe replace Russian gas with green hydrogen? Let's look at the numbers'

A 1GW solar farm in sunny Spain would need to run for a year to produce the same amount of primary energy as a tanker full of American LNG, writes Keynumbers founder John Poljak

In recent weeks, some European politicians have been suggesting that the continent can begin to wean itself off Russian natural gas by switching to green hydrogen. But is that a realistic option?

To start with, replacing the fossil gas used for heating and other applications with green H2 would require an amount of renewable energy and hydrogen an order of magnitude greater than ever previously comprehended.

Let’s look at the numbers.

On 31 March, the Flex Ranger, an LNG (liquefied natural gas) tanker three football fields long, left Louisiana with a capacity of four petajoules (PJ) of primary energy.

In Badajoz, Spain, Iberdrola is running Europe’s largest solar farm, a 500MW facility covering 1,200 football fields. If you redirected that array’s electricity to make another form of primary energy, green hydrogen, it would produce less than 2% of the content of the Flex Ranger by the time the vessel docked in England 15 days later.

To produce the same primary energy in hydrogen as one LNG tanker, the solar farm would need to double in size to 1GW and run for a year.

But Europe needs a lot more energy than from one tanker.

In 2020, Europe consumed 512 billion cubic metres (bcm) of natural gas, with 185 bcm coming from Russia. Just to replace the Russian gas component — equal to 6,660PJ — would require five tanker deliveries every day.

Assuming you can expand the Spanish solar farm, you would need to add another 1,920GW of PV — which would require land roughly the size of the Netherlands — to replace the five daily tankers.

And replacing all the fossil gas in Europe with solar-powered hydrogen would require an area a third of the size of Germany.

It is little wonder that EU climate chief Frans Timmermans told the European Parliament last week that Europe is “never going to be capable to produce its own hydrogen in sufficient quantities”.

Could green hydrogen compete on cost with natural gas?

At €300m ($316m), the Núñez de Balboa solar farm in Badajoz offers an example of cheap electricity at roughly €29/MWh but, depending on the price of electrolysers, the theoretical cost of green hydrogen from the project would be in the range of €3-5/kg. With each kilo of hydrogen storing 33kWh of primary energy or roughly 0.11 MMBTU, the cost estimate would be €27-45/MMBTU. Meeting the EU’s goal of €1.80/kg by 2030 and you’re still looking at a price of €16/MMBTU.

Historically, European gas (Netherlands TTF) has averaged €5-8/MMBTU (€18-29/MWh). But in recent months the cost has rocketed to €38/MMBTU (€130/MWh) making green hydrogen theoretically cheaper than pipeline gas.

What about replacing Russian gas with imported LNG?

Historically, the cost of an LNG plant and shipping the sub-zero liquid have both been expensive — effectively doubling to tripling the cost of gas.

But as the industry has matured, these costs have fallen significantly. An Oxford Institute for Energy Studies report pointed out that some of the cheaper LNG facilities are being built in the US, benefiting from the proximity to existing infrastructure as well as access to cheap Henry Hub gas, which hasn’t yet suffered from the huge price rises seen in Europe and elsewhere.

Add in shipping and regasification, a landed cost of €9-12/MMBTU is theoretically possible, cheaper than the EU’s 2030 hydrogen target.

So will LNG be cheaper over the long term?

There’s one problem for gas and it involves the EU’s political aspirations in the form of the European Green Deal and its Fit for 55 target.

Europe is looking to reduce emissions by 55% by 2030 from 1990 levels. Replacing carbon-intense brown coal with natural gas, adding some efficiency gains and moving to electric cars would bring the target within reach.

But the role of gas is now being questioned, especially as tracking its origins is much more difficult via LNG.

A carbon tax of €80/tonne would add €4/MMBTU to the cost of gas but this doesn’t include the growing issue of fugitive methane emissions.

While the IEA has estimated average fugitive emissions at 1.5%, new satellite technology has shown that methane plumes from US shale gas actually represents about 3.7% of natural gas produced. With methane being 86 times more powerful a greenhouse gas than CO2 over a 20-year period, this would hardly be a step in the right direction for the EU’s climate goals.

The bigger question should not be whether we can replace Russian gas with imported LNG or green hydrogen, but whether we should even attempt to.

After all, study after study has shown that electric heat pumps would require five to six times less green power than boilers using renewable H2, and that gas networks are nowhere near being ready to pump pure hydrogen under the continent’s streets.

Direct electrification in the form of electric vehicles and heat pumps will reduce primary energy consumption by two thirds, while the benefits of cheap renewable energy will inevitably grow.

But with the cost of living growing fast, Europe’s poorest citizens are unlikely to be able to afford new heat pumps or electric vehicles — or new hydrogen-ready boilers and appliances — any time soon.

Energy poverty — defined as spending more than 10% of income on power and heat — will also inevitably grow, especially as utility companies look to recover the costs of plugging the renewable energy gap when the sun isn’t shining and the wind isn’t blowing.

And it may take years — if not decades — for Europe to shift to a lower-cost, greener way of life that will alleviate energy poverty.

John Poljak is the founder of Australian maths-as-a-service company, Keynumbers

https://www.rechargenews.com/energy-transition/could-europe-replace-russian-gas-with-green-hydrogen-lets-look-at-the-numbers/2-1-1212798

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 22, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abj3951?cookieSet=1

This seems promising, extracting hydrogen from natural gas and capturing the carbon (CO2) at the same time, without having to add a lot of energy :eng101:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wibla posted:

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abj3951?cookieSet=1

This seems promising, extracting hydrogen from natural gas and capturing the carbon (CO2) at the same time, without having to add a lot of energy :eng101:

Then comes the part where they only pretend to do part 2 and you get Blue Hydrogen....

...which is what we already do.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i’m not reading the paper but it sounds like the company that popped up in some video i watched. they actually produce solid elemental carbon as a byproduct of their reaction which can just be put into blocks and done whatever with.

it’s legitimately likely to be better than burning the ng directly but it’s still dinogas so i’m not holding my breath

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Nickel Iron batteries have lower energy density than Lithium, but since you don't really care about weight for terrestrial applications, some people use them for "power walls."

They are extremely durable. 50 years easily. And they are simple, Edison actually invented them.

The smaller market makes them a bit more pricey than the materials would warrant.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

https://twitter.com/MadiHilly/status/1550148385931513856

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Note to PG&E:

On The Beach is a post nuclear apocalyptic novel, not a manual for storing nuclear wastes.

On a more useful note: Don't some of the salt based reactors have the ability to run off these wastes and dramatically reduce the radioactivity of the materials?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Kaal posted:

Ultimately, I think there's little doubt that the same group of fossil fuel lobbyists that created Germany's failed Energiewende policies also promoted the "clean hydrogen" dream. The intent is clearly to hook Europe on Russian gas the same way that Germany is, with the rather empty promise that it will some day become low-carbon. But just as Germany's Putin-whispering was irresponsible foreign policy, converting all of Europe to fossil gas is irresponsible climate policy.
You do realize that just recently a new plan was released by the EU with the explicit goal of becoming independent of Russian gas as quickly as possible? You do have some kind of proof that that is all a lie and they instead want to increase reliance on the country waging an offensive war and using the current reliance on it for blackmail?

As for that article: Widespread electrification and efficiency gains have been part of any push to reach high penetration of renewables. Of course it would be infeasible to replace all gas 1:1 with green hydrogen. Green hydrogen is supposed to be used where no other possibility is likely with regards to energy density, etc. So things like certain industrial processes, planes, large ships, longer term storage, etc. Also, it has long been a part of the EU‘s outlook that energy imports will continue to be necessary. Which is why there are constant talks with other countries around Europe with regards to developing green hydrogen infrastructure.

CommieGIR posted:

Then comes the part where they only pretend to do part 2 and you get Blue Hydrogen....

Luckily plans, technology, etc continue to develop. Just because something failed or didn’t happen in the past doesn’t mean it will never happen. The fact is that green hydrogen is a central part of the EU plan to reach net zero by 2050.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 22, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
When it comes to the economics of energy production, I think you need to consider, for whom is it economical? The producer or the consumer?

Wind in particular here in europe is cheap now to build and install and with the power crisis stemming from german choices and now the war in ukraine, it's really economical in terms of getting a fast return on investment. It's not so economical fore the consumers however because of intermittancy issues leading to lack of energy and thus record high electricity prices on average, while it can also have real lows. Until the fantasy tech of cheap large capacity storage is ready that's how it will be.

Nuclear is the opposite, it's a lot less attractive for investors because it's a lot of money that will take a long time to yield returns, but it produces cheap power and reliably so, lowering the price on the market. This is good for the consumer, but bad for the producer. OL3s test output and promise of generation lowered market prices noticeably in finland this spring, and when it was delayed to december, prices raised another 30% and experts say that's how it will be until OL3 comes online. Historically in Sweden when they had all their reactors online they had an extremely environmentally friendly energy production in the form of nuclear and hydro, during this era they had some really cheap electricity, almost too cheap to meter one might say. Since then they have spent a lot of time moving away from this model, also deregulating heavily in the 90s, now they reap the rewards and the government did stuff like hand out emergency money last winter to help people pay their heating bills.

I suppose one might also consider what's "economical" for the planet? I remember reading studies recently that wind and solar require more resources per kWh produced than nuclear, so producing power via wind and solar will require more raw materials than nuclear power.

It's clear to me a huge part of tghe probvlems we face are because of trhe private sectors involvement in energy production and the marketization of electricity which skews incentives towards more expensive electricity. The free market producing lower prices is of course a fairy tale.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Oh hey; Silence_Kit, I see you dragged out Lazard to push your agenda that nuclear is expensive but you didn't get around to telling me why my below quick assessment analysis was wrong.

e) link for convenience https://www.lazard.com/media/451881/lazards-levelized-cost-of-energy-version-150-vf.pdf

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Great link.

A number of points;
~solar thermal has also fallen into disuse because wind / pv solar is only taking taking low hanging fruit and cutting the grass of other generators - reducing capital cost dilution. Gas peakers and existing gas/nuclear/hydro is what is doing the heavy lifting to allow for such cheap non-dispatchable power.
~Nuclear in 2009 was cheaper than the others, tech is what improved for wind/solar and I see no reason why costs could not be pushed down for nuclear generation with artificial resistance removed.
~40 years vs 60 (80 is possible?) years to be expected now for a reactor is a 33% reduction in capex costs - single biggest cost driver for nuclear.
~ I see no indication over how battery storage was costed for wind/ PV solar or any other mechanism for storing energy for full baseload coverage.
~Assuming that the link actually does not cost in storage costs, this means that the fully depreciated cost of nuclear can be used where the plant is not running at full capacity (because the plant is there already and it is only variable costs to cost). At this point, nuclear is still cheaper then the majority of wind/solar as per your link ($28 nuke vs $26 to $221 range for renewables). This is even before you assume significant reductions in nuclear cost due to reduction in resistance related costs, reduction in capex costs from running the plants longer (60 years as actually achieved vs 40 assumed) and the increased capex associated with battery supply/overbuild of non-dispatchable wind/solar.

So thank you for the link, it quite convincingly supports the argument that nuclear is the way to go for the baseload provision of power.

As a separate story, as per that chart existing nuclear is cheaper than existing coal so it is supports that Germany spinning up old coal plants is ideologically driven to priotise non-nuclear over the environment.

The batteries with solar is less about load shifting and more about handling short term dips due to clouds from what I understand. Yes you can load shift on a great sunny day but to deliver speced power it is cheaper to only build so many cells (say 10 MW) and cover output dips with batteries (a few MWhr) then to overbuild the solar plant (say 30 MW, no battery) to guarantee speced power (the 10MW as for the solar and battery) no matter the cloud intermittency. E) and to add, the reason that they do this (as opposed to just building the 10 MW no battery) is that grid operators are now getting snaky on renewables just lumping unconditioned and unpredictable power onto the grid and writing more certainty into connection conditions.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 22, 2022

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dameius posted:

I don't have a complaint. I have a question.

I feel like I’m in some kind of initiation ritual and am being told to recite an oath so I can join La Cosa Nostra or a cult or something.

Nuclear power is dying in the US. Nuclear power plants generate very expensive electricity, and in a hypothetical future world where intermittent renewables generate a large fraction of the US’ electricity, nuclear power plants would be forced to run at lower and lower capacity factors, making what was already expensive nuclear electricity even more expensive.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 22, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

silence_kit posted:

Nuclear power is dead in the US. Nuclear power plants generate very expensive electricity, and in a hypothetical future world where intermittent renewables generate a large fraction of the US’ electricity, nuclear power plants would be forced to run at lower and lower capacity factors, making what was already expensive nuclear electricity even more expensive.

I'm not going to bother commenting on your dig on nuclear, but I will comment on the rest, because I have the engineering experience to comment on those things.

We can use excess generation capacity to generate green hydrogen, or run desalination plants that are setup to scale fresh water generation according to power availability.

Both of these things can be done with existing industry solutions.

CommieGIR posted:

Nah, they've come up with something new that actually seems promising. Here's a translated article with more info, it should be readable even after being churned through google translate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

Note to PG&E:

On The Beach is a post nuclear apocalyptic novel, not a manual for storing nuclear wastes.

On a more useful note: Don't some of the salt based reactors have the ability to run off these wastes and dramatically reduce the radioactivity of the materials?

You are thinking of a fast neutron reactor, and yes they do.

Spent fuel is not waste.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Electric Wrigglies posted:

A number of points;
~solar thermal has also fallen into disuse because wind / pv solar is only taking taking low hanging fruit and cutting the grass of other generators - reducing capital cost dilution. Gas peakers and existing gas/nuclear/hydro is what is doing the heavy lifting to allow for such cheap non-dispatchable power.
~Nuclear in 2009 was cheaper than the others, tech is what improved for wind/solar and I see no reason why costs could not be pushed down for nuclear generation with artificial resistance removed.
~40 years vs 60 (80 is possible?) years to be expected now for a reactor is a 33% reduction in capex costs - single biggest cost driver for nuclear.
~ I see no indication over how battery storage was costed for wind/ PV solar or any other mechanism for storing energy for full baseload coverage.
~Assuming that the link actually does not cost in storage costs, this means that the fully depreciated cost of nuclear can be used where the plant is not running at full capacity (because the plant is there already and it is only variable costs to cost). At this point, nuclear is still cheaper then the majority of wind/solar as per your link ($28 nuke vs $26 to $221 range for renewables). This is even before you assume significant reductions in nuclear cost due to reduction in resistance related costs, reduction in capex costs from running the plants longer (60 years as actually achieved vs 40 assumed) and the increased capex associated with battery supply/overbuild of non-dispatchable wind/solar.

When people make predictions that solar will be the fastest growing source of electricity in the US over the next 30 years, yes, they mean solar PV and not solar thermal. This thread has trashed Ivanpah and solar thermal in recent history. It has a habit of discussing dead/dying technologies over the more relevant ones.

Yes, that is also a mantra of this thread--the high cost of nuclear electricity is not intrinsic to the technology. I think the posters in this thread desperately WANT that to be true, but that doesn't make it true.

Why does everyone talk about wind/solar powering the entire US? Does that really matter? When the American utility companies make changes to the electrical power grid, it does not happen with a click of the mouse like in a game of Cities:Skylines. Solar & wind buildout isn't instant. No one is attempting to have solar and wind power the entire US.

Yeah, running an old nuclear power plant can be economical. This is why the American utility companies do not immediately close all of their nuclear power plants. Of course this thread fixates on that one time where they didn't run that one American nuclear plant past its intended operating life and decommissioned it according to the original intended schedule, and uses it as evidence of conspiracy against the technology.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 22, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, running an old nuclear power plant can be economical. This is why the American utility companies do not immediately close all of their nuclear power plants. Of course this thread fixates on that one time where they didn't run that one American nuclear plant past its intended operating life and decommissioned it according to the original intended schedule, and uses it as evidence of conspiracy against the technology.

Yeah, that's why Cuomo and groups ramped up political pressure to close it because it was the scheduled closure.

Oh wait, it wasn't. The license was up for renewal and could've been renewed. Now New York is doubling down on Natural Gas. The plant could've easily been refurbished, but I guess American Utilities and political action groups know best.

And let's go talk about Illinois, where American Utility companies attempted to force closure of their old nuclear plants prematurely. I thought you said they'd keep running them rather than immediately closing them? Thankfully the people of Illinois saw through that bullshit.

The best place for natural gas is in the ground, we can easily source hydrogen from water without the whole 'carbon capture' rigamarole that is largely still just being pushed by those very same energy companies without a real feasible technical solution actually in place. Blue Hydrogen is a good example where they keep promising carbon capture but for the most part its business as usual.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 22, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yet more strawmanning things nobody is saying. My favorite imaginary thing you (silence kit) decided to criticize above is around the video game reference, implying explicitly that you perceive that "this thread" expects things to happen "at the click of a mouse," where in fact everybody in this thread has their decades-long glasses on.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

silence_kit posted:

I feel like I’m in some kind of initiation ritual and am being told to recite an oath so I can join La Cosa Nostra or a cult or something.

Nuclear power is dying in the US. Nuclear power plants generate very expensive electricity, and in a hypothetical future world where intermittent renewables generate a large fraction of the US’ electricity, nuclear power plants would be forced to run at lower and lower capacity factors, making what was already expensive nuclear electricity even more expensive.

I don't care, that's not what I'm asking you.

Dameius posted:

My question is, how do you propose we deal with this extra demand on our energy grid from converting every internal combustion engine over to electric motors without nuclear in the mix?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

silence_kit posted:

When people make predictions that solar will be the fastest growing source of electricity in the US over the next 30 years, yes, they mean solar PV and not solar thermal. This thread has trashed Ivanpah and solar thermal in recent history. It has a habit of discussing dead/dying technologies over the more relevant ones.

Yes, that is also a mantra of this thread--the high cost of nuclear electricity is not intrinsic to the technology. I think the posters in this thread desperately WANT that to be true, but that doesn't make it true.

Why does everyone talk about wind/solar powering the entire US? Does that really matter? When the American utility companies make changes to the electrical power grid, it does not happen with a click of the mouse like in a game of Cities:Skylines. Solar & wind buildout isn't instant. No one is attempting to have solar and wind power the entire US.

I think this message simply ignores most of my points out of hand but anyway.

ok you restate that nuclear is expensive when your own link demonstrated that it is in line with non-dispatchable power when out of peak generating periods before considering the cost of storage to make non-dispatchable useful for anything other than cutting the lunch of dispatchable power generators and cheaper than scalable dispatchable renewable (solar thermal) before it too goes through NIMBY resistance acceleration that seems to accompany any form of energy / heavy industry growth.

This is before you get into the persistent and insistent resistance to nuclear pushing up all the costs. It is not going to halve the cost or anything like that but nuclear does not need to be cheaper - that's not the real issue, the issue is scaling and that is predominately limited by green movement promoted NIMBY at the current stage but would become technical (foundries, staff, inspectors) if NIMBY did not exist. That scale limitation is why hydro, wind, especially load matched solar (hot weather linked air con market) and others all should be part of the mix.

If nuclear generation had a deterministic and predictable pathway to permitting, you bet your bottom dollar there would be investment. Some of the tollways don't have paybacks for 20 years on 10's of billions of dollars of investment. BHP tipped 7 billion into an underground shaft not scheduled to haul a rock for five years (gambling on long term potash prices and other producers coming to market). Investors do like long term investments. They don't like ones that have greenpeace ramraiding your facility and starting riots in 10s of cities over.

slorb
May 14, 2002
I think there is a fundamental disagreement on premises that is fueling a lot of the argument in this thread.

If you believe we're going to break from historical patterns and spend whatever is necessary to reduce carbon in time to limit global warming then building more nuclear plants looks like a great option because its a proven way to provide baseload power without emissions.

If you believe we're going to continue historical patterns instead, constructing additional nuclear plants looks like a terrible option.

This is because new nuclear plants will take money from a limited government "renewable power" bucket that would otherwise go to a mix of transmission network, demand management, and storage projects that will reduce the required amount of fossil fuel generation more than the same amount of money spent on new nuclear plants would.

Wind and PV solar are now so cheap that their buildout is going to continue regardless of what governments decide to do, but if there is no mechanism for that wind/solar power to get to consumers it is going to instead be used for less useful stuff like very inefficiently creating hydrogen or mining crypto.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

slorb posted:

This is because new nuclear plants will take money from a limited government "renewable power" bucket that would otherwise go to a mix of transmission network, demand management, and storage projects that will reduce the required amount of fossil fuel generation more than the same amount of money spent on new nuclear plants would.

That's not necessarily true, since nearly all governments do not fund Nuclear as Renewables, so the funding doesn't tend to come from the same budgetary bucket. Biden's nuclear bailout being a good example

Another reason this is false is that renewables are not scaling at the same rate demand is increasing, the idea that we can only do one or the other is insane. We can easily do both renewables and nuclear.

And for the energy density: No, renewables CANNOT match nuclear for both footprint, output, and capacity factor. There's very little that can even among fossil energy systems.

But again, the idea that its one or the other is shortsighted.

Nuclear also is one of the few that can match its nameplate capacity daily. Combined with Renewables, Nuclear could easily offset fossil usage if built out.

slorb posted:

Wind and PV solar are now so cheap that their buildout is going to continue regardless of what governments decide to do, but if there is no mechanism for that wind/solar power to get to consumers it is going to instead be used for less useful stuff like very inefficiently creating hydrogen or mining crypto.

Cheapness =/= good. Why is it everyone thinks cheap is somehow a saving grace? Where do we get this idea that we're going to offset subsidized fossil fuels with cheap renewables that cannot match the capacity factor of the fossil fuels you intend to target with them?

We are not solving climate change on the cheap, and despite being cheap the amount required to offset the energy you are targeting for replacing is immense.

And dont get me started on longevity, both wind and solar have ~10 year lifespans at best and tend to require frequent replacement.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 22, 2022

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Cheapness =/= good. Why is it everyone thinks cheap is somehow a saving grace?

Because in the real world, resource constraints matter? This is obvious and I cannot understand your eagerness to handwave it away.

Most of the "new" carbon dioxide emissions are coming from places like China and India. If the best solution you have there is that Indians pay something like ten times the upfront cost of a coal power plant for equivalent Mwh, it's much less likely to get done.

If the private sector starts seeing positive NPVs for nuclear investments (like they already do for solar, in some applications) they'll start doing the work for you. So yeah, get costs down and the job gets a hell of a lot easier!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

silence_kit posted:

I'm sorry to quote you while you're on probation but you'll be back soon and this is still just you not answering the question. You don't have to say that the answer is nuclear, but you should just come out and say "we keep burning poo poo until we've built enough renewables" if that's your answer. If there's some third option I haven't thought of, maybe you can say that. Please stop blatantly dancing around the question.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silence_kit posted:

Who posts like this? Are you brain damaged?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

slorb posted:

I think there is a fundamental disagreement on premises that is fueling a lot of the argument in this thread.

If you believe we're going to break from historical patterns and spend whatever is necessary to reduce carbon in time to limit global warming then building more nuclear plants looks like a great option because its a proven way to provide baseload power without emissions.

If you believe we're going to continue historical patterns instead, constructing additional nuclear plants looks like a terrible option.

I agree to some of CommieGIR that both can be done at the same time (and still get frustrated at the fixation on cheapness being wrong when wholistic grid lowest cost (inclusive of externalities) is absolutely the KPI to focus on) and I think you are onto a big reason of pushback on nuclear. Anti-nuclear sites themselves state as one of the reason why nuclear is not viable is because it will canibilise funding for their chosen pathway. Whether that is because they think along what your describe and strictly believe every dollar spent on nuclear is that much more carbon in the air or whether that is because like a lot of coal workers, anything that might take yer jerbs is anathema.

In any event, historical patterns can be changed, the world went pro-nuclear to anti-nuclear in a generation. Germany may be going back to wholy hydrocarbon and renewable mix but Japan, France Finland, UK, China, India, S. Korea are all heading towards nuclear and renewables (and umming about the last bit so that stays carbon).

And on the wind and PV so cheap, I believe a big part of their cheapness is because curtailment has not yet really been costed into their profiles. PV matching up with A/C load is great and really is cheap (not as cheap as solar hot water but is definitely hard to go past) but I would love to see a set load (say 100 MW) of overnight heating without carbon levelised cost of generation chart. If I understand right, It's 33 x 3 MW wind mills on a good night with carbon/nuclear back up but 264 windmills (8% wind) is 277 windmills (95% Avail) is 347 windmills ( 20% surplus that is evidently required) if it >99% confidence interval has to deliver without backstop. Straight away that 3 c a kwhr for wind when it gets to sell every kw is now 30 c a kwhr (33 windmill market / 347 total windmills required to meet that market reliably) due to curtailment. This is where batteries are meant to do fusion for renewables but what is the cost for batteries per /kwhr?

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 22, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Agronox posted:

Because in the real world, resource constraints matter? This is obvious and I cannot understand your eagerness to handwave it away.

You're mistaking "internalized cost" for "resource constraints". Coal power is real god drat expensive when you consider the external costs, considerably more than nuclear power I'd wager. It's cheap to get a coal plant built, you pay the remaining costs and "costs" years later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Rampant climate change is the cost of gas and coal, but weirdly lobbyists owned by those industries don't include that in their graphs