Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People who walk slowly and abreast in a walkway. Form a line to let people pass, at least temporarily. Double points if it's an obnoxiously PDA'ing couple to double how awkward finding a way round is.

credburn posted:

The problem I guess for me is, I'm already a fast walker. I'm 6'3" and take long strides. Walking any faster turns into awkward speedrunning for me.

Frequently I do this thing where once I'm too close to the person, I pretend I'm checking my phone or something so I can stop moving and give them another headstart.

Edit to complain more:

gently caress you, 7/11 Careers page. Trying to get a sick job as a convenience store guy, but it kicked me out halfway through entering my information, saying it had timed out due to inactivity. Then it said my password was wrong. Then it locked my account because I entered the password wrong too many times, so I had to reset. Now it says I can't use that password because it's my old password. Well jesus loving christ, 7/11 Careers page.

Any job site that wants you to do a dumbass personality quiz for a menial gig, where obviously you don't pick what you really think, you pick what management wants. I'm not ratting out my coworker who steals, but sure, I'll tell a manager, best buy ;)

Newer ones on indeed when I got my second job are even worse. It'll give you two totally unrelated things and ask which is more like you. A. I pay attention to detail B. I think people are more good than bad.

Indeed also has some decent short quizzes that actually ask relevant things about things like maintenance, delivery driving, or restaurant work. Basic poo poo but it's five minutes that at least demonstrate your resumé isn't bullshit. I got the max score on delivery driver and I'm excited for waking up in 3022.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
was trying to empty the trash cans from around the store and had the dirty trash bags in a cart and turned my back for less than a minute and somebody stealthily dumped all the bags on the floor and took the cart to do their shopping

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

InediblePenguin posted:

was trying to empty the trash cans from around the store and had the dirty trash bags in a cart and turned my back for less than a minute and somebody stealthily dumped all the bags on the floor and took the cart to do their shopping

PYF supervillain origin story

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Any job site that wants you to do a dumbass personality quiz for a menial gig, where obviously you don't pick what you really think, you pick what management wants. I'm not ratting out my coworker who steals, but sure, I'll tell a manager, best buy ;)

I always worry during interviews that I'll take too long to think of an answer to "What made you want to work for our company?"

Because apparently "I need money to live and yours was the only one that responded to my application" isn't acceptable! And that by itself doesn't make sense to me, because don't these people understand that's the best answer, for them? My ability to buy food and live under a roof is in your hands! I'll comply with all your bullshit rules for as long as I possibly can because I need to stay employed! "I just like solving problems" isn't gonna get you that!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

People who can't take a compliment!! And I don't mean the creepy sense of like telling some random girl on the street she looks hot I mean like telling a friend something they've done is cool or whatever

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Killingyouguy! posted:

People who can't take a compliment!! And I don't mean the creepy sense of like telling some random girl on the street she looks hot I mean like telling a friend something they've done is cool or whatever

Please be less kind.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

That was a really funny link, Tiggum!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

That was a really funny link, Tiggum!

I'm ok with that because you're really praising the comic, which I didn't make, so I only absorb a tiny fraction of the compliment.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

It would be one thing if my TV had the same problem every day. Annoying, but I know the esoteric set of actions to perform to get it to work. But, no, every time I think I've got it, it comes up, like a kitten proudly depositing a disembowelled mouse, with a new problem. Today, I click "connect to internet". It says "connected to internet!" Great! I click "Netflix". Nope, need to be connected to the internet for that. Click "troubleshoot internet". Connected! Great! Click Netflix. Not connected. gently caress offff.

Second pet peeve is that unplugging it for a minute then reconnecting actually seems to have worked. I know the logic behind why it works but it still makes me mad for no reason.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Having worked at a place that sold smart TV’s (but I didn’t work at that department) I can tell you with all honesty that the chips and software they put in TV’s for smart functionality are always way shittier than anything that comes from a dedicated streaming box. I have a smart TV and the only feature I’ve used on it is screen sharing. Get a cheap Fire stick/roku and use that, it will work amazingly better because that’s what the device is dedicated to do, it’s not a half-assed TV feature.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What's a smart product that's an actual upgrade

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What's a smart product that's an actual upgrade

Being able to turn your AC on and off remotely is handy but that's all I can think of.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Nothing because all the “Smart” stuff is finding solutions for problems that don’t exist.

“Do you want all your electronics to be more complicated, causing more issues?”

“No”

“Oh well we invented Smart lights that you can control from your phone! Way easier than just…flicking a light switch”

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Black Stones posted:

Nothing because all the “Smart” stuff is finding solutions for problems that don’t exist.

“Do you want all your electronics to be more complicated, causing more issues?”

“No”

“Oh well we invented Smart lights that you can control from your phone! Way easier than just…flicking a light switch”

Philips Hue kicks rear end, I will die on that hill. I like being able to set up an atmosphere in my apartment.

The other brands of smart lights suck rear end though, I got 4 GE Cync lights for the price of one Hue bulb, and there's a reason for that. Difficult to set up, colors are off, and it's too harsh. Not to mention one of them doesn't even work right.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Oh, we doing electronics peeves now?

My TV hates soundbars. I have tried FIVE different soundbars (1 free from a friend who upgraded, 2 free from work after they renovated old converence rooms and were getting rid of them, 1 bought and didn't work at all so was returned, and my latest.)

So the latest one actually worked for a couple months until last week when now the TV just will not output audio to it anymore. And there aren't exactly a lot of options on the TV or SOundbar. TV selection is just "TV speakers" or "External Speakers." Soundbar is just selecting input (ARC HDMI.)

Maybe I need to adjust the setup?

It goes:

PS5 HDMI/ ARC out -> Soundbar ARC in -> Soundbar HDMI out -> TV HDMI in.

The TV supports ARC over that HDMI port, and as I said, it worked fine for a couple months, just no longer.

The soundbar still works fine if I use the PS5, just not the TV itself...I wonder if it's something to do with how the Roku (the only way I use the TV if not PS5) is coming in on a non-ARC HDMI port? But again, it's been this way since I set it up initially and worked.

I've rebooted and re-plugged in everything, still no go. It's frustrating.

I think i'll just say "gently caress it" to ARC and just go back to trying an optical or digital audio cable, see if that works...but I don't have high hopes, because optical audio is what the previous 4 soundbars were using and it was constantly working, ten not working, then would work after a reboot, then wouldn't at all...etc...

I think the TV just sucks.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Iron Crowned posted:

Philips Hue kicks rear end, I will die on that hill. I like being able to set up an atmosphere in my apartment.

The other brands of smart lights suck rear end though, I got 4 GE Cync lights for the price of one Hue bulb, and there's a reason for that. Difficult to set up, colors are off, and it's too harsh. Not to mention one of them doesn't even work right.

I had a Phillips hue. The lighting is fine. However if you live with people who aren’t great with technology it becomes a huge pain in the rear end. It’s really only good if A) everyone is on the same page tech wise, or B) your the only one using it.

I ripped all that stuff out and was much happier for it.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

What's the deal with People who randomly Capitalise words in their sentences? Where did they Learn to Do that?

See also,,, people who use commas as elipses.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think they know that Capitalization is a thing but think it just means Important Thing and not This Is A Proper Noun.

Or it's schizophrenia coming on? Either way.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

for fucks sake posted:

What's the deal with People who randomly Capitalise words in their sentences? Where did they Learn to Do that?

equally bad are people who type in all lowercase and use very little punctuation and don't even capitalize i when referring to themselves

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

I think they know that Capitalization is a thing but think it just means Important Thing and not This Is A Proper Noun.

Or it's schizophrenia coming on? Either way.

And the most frightening possibility: They might be Germans.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

for fucks sake posted:

Generally this is schizophrenia,,, however they are great tools in your Shitpost Formatting Toolbox

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

for fucks sake posted:

That's probably just a hitting the wrong key and never reading over what you've written to make sure it says what you meant to say. Just type and post - no time for editing!

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

InediblePenguin posted:

No jury in the world would convict you.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

for fucks sake posted:

Aside from aforementioned schizophrenia it's also a Tumblr (and ex-Tumblr-on-Twitter) mainstay. I'm not exactly sure why, but it does add a Certain Rhythm to one's writing. I've heard it attributed to ADHD but it seems too ubiquitous for that, unless it originated there and spread to non-ADHDers. AA Milne also used it a lot in Winnie-the-Pooh, fwiw.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Capitalisation is a way of conveying tone in more informal, conversational text. Some people overuse it but that's why it's A Thing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

And the most frightening possibility: They might be Germans.

(boy)
They might be Germans
They might be fake
They might be lies
They might be big, big, fake, fake lies

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
People writing "opps" when they mean "oops." Or "weary" for "wary," "rogue"/"rouge," etc.

Typos and misspelling happen, I get it, but the ones that are pronounced completely different than what they should be just throw me off.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Parasol Prophet posted:

People writing "opps" when they mean "oops." Or "weary" for "wary," "rogue"/"rouge," etc.

Typos and misspelling happen, I get it, but the ones that are pronounced completely different than what they should be just throw me off.

'common' instead of 'c'mon' for me

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Parasol Prophet posted:

Defiantly

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You wanna live like c'mon people
You wanna do whatever c'mon people do

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

for fucks sake posted:

Old timey writing did this all the time. When I capitalize words that aren't proper nouns, it's generally a real vague imitation of that style, so much as I understand it, meaning to convey importance to words that normally don't have that weight. In my head the effect is similar to italicizing something but has a Slightly Different Flavor.

I am baffled by people talking about it being an indicator of schizophrenia, geez. I also don't see the connection to ADD, though I have that -- my neuropsychologist and I never discussed capitalization of words haha. And I've never seen commas used as ellipses but the period is right next to the comma so I would suspect it being a typo.

credburn has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Jul 22, 2022

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

credburn posted:

I am baffled by people talking about it being an indicator of schizophrenia, geez. And I've never seen commas used as ellipses but the period is right next to the comma so I would suspect it being a typo.

The capitalization is absolutely a favourite of schizophrenics trying to get their ideas across though. It indicates that the word can't quite encapsulate the concept they're trying to convey because their concept has all these other connections and implications not usually covered by the term

Source: I have family members with schizophrenia

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This also manifests as schizophrenics using tons and tons of different fonts or colors.

Probably also the origin of the 'green ink brigade' term in the UK

quote:

green-ink brigade A collective term for people who write letters (to politicians, newspaper editors, etc.) expressing eccentric views often characterized by prolixity , capital letters and underlining, sometimes written in long hand and stereotypically, but not necessarily actually, written in green ink.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

One time I got a letter slipped through my mail slot that looked like a draft page for House of Leaves. Talked a lot about Jesus, Saudi Arabia, and Illuminati.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

for fucks sake posted:

I have a friend who does this all the time. Until I pointed it out, he didn't even realize he was doing it, and didn't know what a proper noun was. I blame our education system.

Parasol Prophet posted:

See also whale, meaning "to hit" vs. wail, meaning "to scream or whine."

Could of/should of/would of vs could've/would've/should've.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Similarly, people who use "language is fluid!" or "descriptive grammar!" to excuse their mistakes. Yes, a cul-de-sac is now officially a culdy sack because language is fluid, and not because you're too lazy to look up how to spell a word.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Are you the guy who gets mad every time webster's changes or adds definitions

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
lick my culdy sack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

credburn posted:

Old timey writing did this all the time. When I capitalize words that aren't proper nouns, it's generally a real vague imitation of that style, so much as I understand it, meaning to convey importance to words that normally don't have that weight. In my head the effect is similar to italicizing something but has a Slightly Different Flavor.

I absolutely do this on purpose sometimes in the style of Terry Pratchett. Like if I wanted to emphasise a phrase like "let's do this The Right Way" - it makes it sound like a marketing catchprase or something. The people I see doing this online are usually Not Doing it That Way.