Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

i been doing a rewatch of NFY cause of this show and one of my favorite bits is nathan's go to for a disease being "klein's"

I realized I don't even know what Klien's is and google autocomplete's first result is "Kliens nathan For you" and the GIS results are mostly nathan lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I'm also watching Nathan For You. Season 4 cos I never watched it before.

I liked episode 1 (fake micheal richards tip in diner), the whole thing was good. Episode 2 was kinda stupid. Very tim and eric (the chili suit with the toilet humour is really close to a diarrhea suit bit they had), and didn't suit the idea I have of Nathan's style. Gonna continue on though - I've never seen Finding Frances and I only just realised it's 90 minutes so it's basically a movie, really curious about it.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 21, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

I liked episode 1 (fake micheal richards tip in diner). Episode 2 was kinda stupid. Very tim and eric (the chili suit with the toilet humour is really close to a diarrhea suit bit they had), and didn't suit the idea I have of Nathan's style. Gonna continue on though - I've never seen Finding Frances and I only just realised it's 90 minutes so it's basically a movie, really curious about it.

Do you have access to the special that aired before the season started? It aired as the first episode of the season and is pretty funny, but it sounds like you might have skipped it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i thought the chili suit episode was great and i'm extremely sad he didn't go through with the "two pipe system"

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i think it was mainly the similarity to a tim and eric sketch that was putting me off. just felt like i'd seen this joke before, and i expect the unexpected from nathan. the second half with the wart massages was better.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Do you have access to the special that aired before the season started? It aired as the first episode of the season and is pretty funny, but it sounds like you might have skipped it.

i did because i don't know what special you mean. it's possible i saw it back when it was on, i just sort of faded off the show after s3 i think. but now I'm back on the ride.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

i think it was mainly the similarity to a tim and eric sketch that was putting me off. just felt like i'd seen this joke before, and i expect the unexpected from nathan. the second half with the wart massages was better.

i did because i don't know what special you mean. it's possible i saw it back when it was on, i just sort of faded off the show after s3 i think. but now I'm back on the ride.

Yeah, it's the first episode of Season 4 and aired a week before the rest of the season. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nathan_for_You_episodes#Special_(2017)

Worth tracking down if you can, they bring back the host from The Hunk.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://youtu.be/W5ytAOsrOUo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

roomtone posted:

I liked episode 1 (fake micheal richards tip in diner), the whole thing was good. Episode 2 was kinda stupid. Very tim and eric (the chili suit with the toilet humour is really close to a diarrhea suit bit they had), and didn't suit the idea I have of Nathan's style. Gonna continue on though - I've never seen Finding Frances and I only just realised it's 90 minutes so it's basically a movie, really curious about it.

I rewatched it's last night and it's still phenomenal. I'd totally forgotten there's a pretty significant "rehearsal" segment in it too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Paper Lion posted:

apparently kor also moonlights as a shaman? sure hope he doesnt get choked by any ghosts

https://gothamist.com/arts-entertai...nUAglP8U5jGu_c0

How could this man possibly summon ghosts? He doesn't even have a master's degree

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

yeah the play in finding frances and to some extent the season 3 finale as well are kind of blueprints for the rehearsal

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

precision posted:

"you've seen some of my previous work, or....?"
"i'm afraid i haven't."
"i made a show called Nathan For You"
"oh, ok"
"...didn't you say your specialty was television trivia?"

:discourse:

i think that was my favourite moment. i also completely missed the bit at the end and it blew my mind when someone mentioned it. i hope every episode has a scene like that and i miss it every time

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

BWV posted:

I was just thinking about how great it was when Kor told the people at the table he needed to sit at that someone close to him died, which led to the guy already sitting there having this real human moment after sharing that he had experienced something similar.
Like on some level Kor is going through all of this to come clean about a lie that helped him fit in and yet in doing so he can't help himself in creating another one.

I think the overarching thesis of Nathan for You and the rehearsal has always been that the emotional moment is still a real and human connection no matter how much work you put into creating the false reality.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/seanathanhyatt/status/1549885063503917056?s=21&t=xQoFOedS3yCj0fK_kZX_cQ

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Open Source Idiom posted:

Him poking at sterling host of "Nathan for You - A Celebration," Anthony Napoli, about the threesome and Napoli getting very agitated about it, plus the absolutely brutal awkwardness between them throughout, still makes me laugh

Paper Lion posted:

yeah the play in finding frances and to some extent the season 3 finale as well are kind of blueprints for the rehearsal

Yeah, I recently did a rewatch of most of N4U after S2 of How To and thought back to it again after watching the Rehearsal premiere.

Although this isn't anything profound, it was striking to me to think about how the framework for The Rehearsal was repeatedly established throughout the show - as you said, "Finding Frances" was the most complete example of this plus "The Hero," but there were numerous other times when he did some very elaborate and great lengths practicing something or coaching someone else in order to construct the story or scenario he wanted for comedic or interesting effect.

Looking back at the episode list, just a few examples like "Claw of Shame," "Petting Zoo," "The Anecdote," "The Movement," "Smokers Allowed (”I love you"), "The Richards Tip," "The Hunk", plus most bits where he used an earpiece of some sort, all involved this in some degree. It's cool to see him now refining and focusing on this bigger idea with a bigger budget.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 21, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i skipped ahead to finding frances

that was a great movie. you guys are right that it felt like a bridge between nathan for you and rehearsal, but it's better than both (so far, obviously only seen one episode of rehearsal). it's poignant and plays around with real/fake so well. nathan in this is probably pretty close to how he actually is, except in the few sections where he's doing a structured bit. the whole alien businessman persona is just gone.

the portrayal of bill as a guy who had self-centered dreams in his youth, and pursued them while letting everything else fall away, only to end up alone and lost in this fantasy from decades ago, hit me pretty hard. he's obviously not a great guy and hasn't learned that much, but the portrayal manages to draw out some beauty in that. the fact that he's still on the grift at 78 to the extent that after his call with frances, he asks nathan basically - was that entertaining enough for the show? is both funny and sad in equal measure.

the maci storyline was nice, too. i like how she judged nathan for you as 'kind of mean, you lied to all of those people', and me forgetting this was not exactly fiction for a lot of their scenes. nathan is acting in those scenes more than anywhere else in the movie, as a way to draw out the overarching theme of what's going on with bill and connect it with nathan's character.

now back to the fart bags in a taxi

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

sticksy posted:

Him poking at sterling host of "Nathan for You - A Celebration," Anthony Napoli, about the threesome and Napoli getting very agitated about it, plus the absolutely brutal awkwardness between them throughout, still makes me laugh

The fact that Anthony Napoli tries denying the holocaust while on the show segment talking about Summit Ice just makes his flopped plug-time surprise all the more satisfying.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
On the one hand NYF and The Rehearsal are incredible tv.

On the other hand, Nathan antagonized a bipolar guy during a NYF scene and said guy later had a mental break, which has since led to members of my family possibly getting a restraining order against the guy for harrassment. Like I don't think his appearance on the show directly led to this, the guy was always an rear end in a top hat, but being humiliated on TV probably didn't help. It does make me watch the show a bit differently tho.

Edit: can't go into more detail sorry

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 22, 2022

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

On the other hand, Nathan antagonized a bipolar guy during a NYF scene and said he later had a mental break, which has since led to members of my family possibly getting a restraining order against the guy for harrassment. Like I don't think his appearance on the show directly led to this, the guy was always an rear end in a top hat, but being humiliated on TV probably didn't help. It does make me watch the show a bit differently tho.
Which guy?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Dude shouldn’t have lied about the doctors appointment

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Big tiddy guy

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

No way, that guy had a great time on the show

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Gorman Thomas posted:

On the other hand, Nathan antagonized a bipolar guy during a NYF scene and said guy later had a mental break, which has since led to members of my family possibly getting a restraining order against the guy for harrassment. Like I don't think his appearance on the show directly led to this, the guy was always an rear end in a top hat, but being humiliated on TV probably didn't help. It does make me watch the show a bit differently tho.

Lol okay

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

No way, that guy had a great time on the show

Oh no I was just announcing who I am

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Oh come on lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

He's been harassing our family for years, demanding we give him some of our grandson's piss

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I wish it was the grandson piss guy, that dude rocked

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Gorman Thomas posted:

I wish it was the grandson piss guy, that dude rocked

It's kind of incredible that I think Nathan only broke character twice in the show that I can easily think of. The grandson piss guy and the exorcism.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Paper Lion posted:

apparently kor also moonlights as a shaman? sure hope he doesnt get choked by any ghosts

https://gothamist.com/arts-entertai...nUAglP8U5jGu_c0

Being able to ghost hunt is more valuable than a masters degree anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCDPp5uEg7M

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's kind of incredible that I think Nathan only broke character twice in the show that I can easily think of. The grandson piss guy and the exorcism.

I don’t remember the episode but also the brothers when he followed them back to their apartment and they talked about boning down in the same room with random chicks.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Gorman Thomas posted:

My top guesses, jack garbarino, mall Santa, or the alcoholic in the sumo costume

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Gorman Thomas posted:

drat, now I feel guilty about greenlighting “Cry Wolfe” for 3 seasons.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I lost custody of my child because I had no proof they were a baby and not an adult.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

sticksy posted:

I don’t remember the episode but also the brothers when he followed them back to their apartment and they talked about boning down in the same room with random chicks.

Right. I was going to look up the name of the episode but apparently it was just "You Break It, You Buy It." The one with the antique store. And not just the same room, I'm pretty sure they said that they had Eiffel Towered at least once.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Right. I was going to look up the name of the episode but apparently it was just "You Break It, You Buy It." The one with the antique store. And not just the same room, I'm pretty sure they said that they had Eiffel Towered at least once.

Dude, you told him about tag team bro?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gorman Thomas posted:

gently caress yeah thread’s back on track. I love Nathan You For

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

drat it why does this show air so late in the evening! I need Saul Nathan, I need him now!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Nathan... For Us

(cursed mode: Nathan Among Us)

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 22, 2022

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I'm Nathan euphoric about a new episode tonight

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

What is it about Nathan that attracts the most parasocial viewership?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

blue squares posted:

drat it why does this show air so late in the evening! I need Saul Nathan, I need him now!

Is that what's happening?? I hate broadcast TV, just drop the episode at midnight (or often at like 9pm the day before) and let us get to it whenever we have time.