Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its funny that its where grok comes from. lots of people say grok these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

you’re a grok

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Sounds like maybe Charlie Manson was a new type?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mark immune posted:

you do not under any circumstances "gotta hand it to" heinlein

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
that book sucks lol

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The only Heinlein book I’ve read is Starship Troopers and I’m forever glad that when Paul Verhoeven made it into a film he made fun of it in the most gratuitous fashion

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the only heinlein i've read is the two page All You Zombies because i enjoyed the movie Predestination

(everyone should watch Predestination without any knowledge about it, it owns)

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Apologies if this has been discussed in the thread before but I've just reached the part in the Devil's Chessboard about Lee Harvey Oswald and, well

quote:

Dr. Renatus Hartogs, a German-trained physician who was chief psychiatrist at Youth House, found the intelligent and free-floating Oswald to be such an interesting case that he made the thirteen-year-old the subject of one of his seminars. Hartogs’s psychiatric profile of Oswald—which he would reprise for the Warren Commission a decade later—created the pathological framework by which the alleged assassin would be known for many years to come. Oswald, according to Hartogs, was an “emotionally disturbed, mentally constricted youngster” who was “suspicious and defiant in his attitude toward authority.” While a probation officer had found Lee to be a “small, bright and likable boy” with a reasonable explanation for his truancy—he thought school was “a waste of time” and “the other children made fun of him because of his Texas drawl and his blue jeans”—Hartogs saw Oswald as a walking time bomb. The only reason he had not “acted upon his hostility in an aggressive or destructive fashion” was that he had not yet “developed the courage.” Hartogs himself was a curious case, one of those intrepid explorers of the human mind who—with government encouragement and funding—had been willing to go to the scientific fringes. His résumé included a stint at Montreal’s Allan Memorial Institute, where Dr. Ewen Cameron conducted his diabolical “Sleep Room” experiments. Hartogs went on to work with Dr. Sidney Malitz of the New York State Psychiatric Institute, which received funding from the Army Chemical Corps and the CIA to conduct drug experiments on unsuspecting patients involving LSD and mescaline. Later, after Hartogs was drummed out of psychiatry by a sensational sex scandal, he turned himself into a hypnosis expert.

Now I'm just waiting for Jolly West to show up lol

Endman
May 18, 2010

Gosh it sure is a good thing MKUltra was useless and they never did succeed in their goals to create brainwashed assassins

Otherwise this Oswald guy could've done some real damage!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

scary ghost dog posted:

Rob Grokowski

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I went to school a block from the Allen and even in grade 6-7 we knew some bad poo poo had gone down there with MKUltra but it still gets me everytime I read about it somewhere else.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I know someone's who's aunt got her brain fried in the MKULTRA experiments at McGill.

EDit: I feel like Québec is an untapped vein in conspiracy circles, some wild poo poo went down here.

MonsieurChoc has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Jul 22, 2022

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't there a Heinlein book where a bunch of people switch their consciences into different bodies, then they all gently caress on the moon?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

MonsieurChoc posted:

I know someone's who's aunt got her brain fried in the MKULTRA experiments at McGill.

EDit: I feel like Québec is an untapped vein in conspiracy circles, some wild poo poo went down here.

do not google Ant Hill Gang

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

multistability posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed in the thread before but I've just reached the part in the Devil's Chessboard about Lee Harvey Oswald and, well

Now I'm just waiting for Jolly West to show up lol
Talbot's one of the few cases where he doesn't. No Jolly West even in Brothers!!!

MonsieurChoc posted:

the most Canadian version of MKUltra experiments:

link

Another fun Montreal fact is that Peter Dale Scott thinks he may have been semi-involved in one of the MKUltra experiments. He's also apparently from Westmount lol rich neighbourhood where noted luminaries Leonard Cohen, Mordecai Richler and, uh, Kamala Harris, spent a bunch of time, which explains his inability to shed that last bit of anti-communism he has

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Kamala went to Westmount high but lived in Ville Emard if memory serves.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
List of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson episodes (1967)

1228 July 31, 1967 Vice President Hubert Humphrey, psychiatrist and author Dr. Renatus Hartogs

Endman
May 18, 2010

My partner endearingly refers to Jolly West as Jolly Rogers

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
This is good on Sleep Room experiments
https://youtu.be/TKLy1ALj3Pc

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

papa horny michael posted:

Dr. Renatus Hartogs

Doctor Renatus Hartogs --> angst duo orchestrator

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

papa horny michael posted:

List of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson episodes (1967)

1228 July 31, 1967 Vice President Hubert Humphrey, psychiatrist and author Dr. Renatus Hartogs

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/NerlensNoLs/status/1550977725833297920

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PNACpod/status/1550563914441687040
https://twitter.com/housetrotter/status/1354979487524540417
https://twitter.com/PNACpod/status/1550623686935384066

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I feel like at this point it's not even speculation that (at minimum) elements of the Saudi government knew what was happening, would that explain the stock trading

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hell it could have been bin laden himself

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Shear Modulus posted:

hell it could have been bin laden himself

George W. Bush and Salem bin Laden (brother of Osama) set up Arbusto Energy in Texas in 1977

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbusto_Energy

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

i've only heard it but heard it a lot from people talking about knowing how to use the text editor vi improved and assumed it was a word they made up to make themselves sound smarter for being able to use vim

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Shot:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/russia-dreams-up-a-us-bioweapons-lab-in-ukraine

Chaser:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/dna-data-security-against-russia-china-bioweapons

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

BasicLich posted:

George W. Bush and Salem bin Laden (brother of Osama) set up Arbusto Energy in Texas in 1977

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbusto_Energy

lmao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/allegedlyzo/status/1279811013270024193

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
In praise of conspiracy theory, by Silvia Federici :)

nut
Jul 30, 2019

imagining someone already posted this here but it is driving me insane

https://twitter.com/mddeh/status/1550144268588797959?s=21&t=xeEq32cRbL1I5J97nKHCgw

nut
Jul 30, 2019

maxwellhill posted:

This is good on Sleep Room experiments
https://youtu.be/TKLy1ALj3Pc

prob one of the most slept on scientists implicated in this military research is Donald Hebb, in part because he is gigantically famous as a father of neuroplasticity (he invented the phrase “use it or lose it” as applied to neural connections formed through a process now called Hebbian plasticity). thread favourite Alfred McCoy wrote a book called a question of torture where he traces a line from Cameron and Hebb’s work (as well as work by John zubek in Manitoba and John lily) on sensory deprivation to modern forms of torture, which unsurprisingly include a lot of sensory deprivation. Zubek, imo, feels like a willing idiot and edited a text on human sensory deprivation research that I have a copy of. I can upload some pics later today of my favourite section where he lists off all the active research groups at the time, including multiple military institutions, without thinking anything nefarious about it

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I'm stupid because of course it's online. Anyways, here's a couple pages brimming with internet search holes for a rainy day. The story arc of #6 is chef's kiss. In addition to Zubek, who presents it here unquestioningly, I think a lot of scientists, potentially including Hebb, were completely oblivious or blinded by rampant careerism. Though Zubek blatantly not mentioning Ewen Cameron in the section on Alan Memorial is a knowing omission.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I finished Chaos. Wtf is on the Tex Eatson tapes!?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hebb!!!

Please clap

Edit: the very first entry already nails it - all this poo poo goes back to accounts of "communist brainwashing" and the US trying to develop their own

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 17:08 on Jul 25, 2022

nut
Jul 30, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hebb!!!

Please clap

Edit: the very first entry already nails it - all this poo poo goes back to accounts of "communist brainwashing" and the US trying to develop their own

there’s an article that was published by a lifelong Hebb loving neuroscientist (who helped see Hebb’s book republished and also co-wrote a biography of him) who said McCoy was confused and that Hebb’s work was all about boredom

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I finished Chaos. Wtf is on the Tex Eatson tapes!?

We might find out in 15 or 20 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

bedpan posted:

We might find out in 15 or 20 years

lol if you think those tapes aren't accidentally stored next to a 5 pound magnet for some reason