Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

B33rChiller posted:

Red pipes mean fire suppression. Modular construction, to be inverted after completion.

no way, none of that is sufficient for fire suppression.

It's domestic water supply of some sort

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLhddKA1lfQ

Is what I'm guessing is going on there

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
They are piss tubes

For piss

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
One tube = 1 piss

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1550376117407817729

Here’s a photo of a man standing under a pipe labeled Hydroflouric Acid.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serjeant Snubbin posted:

hell of a good thread talking about semiconductor production from any area of interest though: national security, information technology, economics.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

A long time ago in this thread there was a goon with very good stories about dealing with these sort of gasses and, I believe, an earthquake prone city that decided to build underground pipes for the gasses? Or something like that?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

`Nemesis posted:

no way, none of that is sufficient for fire suppression.

It's domestic water supply of some sort
As it turns out, that idea came directly out of my backside!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Either you go sad, or you sub fap.

Your call shipmate.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

FEED ME A TRUCK

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Captain Hygiene posted:

FEED ME A TRUCK

*Feed me TRUCKS*

here is one, take it

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I for one welcome our new god whose hunger for truck tops know no bounds.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If we can build ballroom fabs, we can build some nuclear power. Christ, I hate the O&G companies.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Harry_Potato fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 22, 2022

chienandalusia
Feb 17, 2011

Serjeant Snubbin posted:

Any acid is delivered from a VMB (valve manifold box) in the sub-fab through a double contained tube (tube inside a pipe or tube) to the tool upstairs. Obviously, the VMB will have leak detection.

Source: I work in a semiconductor fab.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/tgmetsfan98/status/1550187571870941190?s=21&t=buRU9GzbTTudDv9PtrnUIg

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

chienandalusia posted:

Any acid is delivered from a VMB (valve manifold box) in the sub-fab through a double contained tube (tube inside a pipe or tube) to the tool upstairs. Obviously, the VMB will have leak detection.

Can't some of the gas byproducts of half the hellbrew chemicals they use poison processes at like the parts per billion level?

chienandalusia
Feb 17, 2011

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Can't some of the gas byproducts of half the hellbrew chemicals they use poison processes at like the parts per billion level?

There are no gas byproducts in the system I described. Everything is contained until it gets to the tool then used and then it has an appropriate exhaust (acid, solvent, etc.). But we aren't bleeding edge so defects aren't measured on the ppb level. Only the DI water used (and chemical assays) have requirements down to ppb. And all the chemicals are industry standard. I'm curious the hellbrew chemicals you are thinking of.

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

chienandalusia posted:

There are no gas byproducts in the system I described. Everything is contained until it gets to the tool then used and then it has an appropriate exhaust (acid, solvent, etc.). But we aren't bleeding edge so defects aren't measured on the ppb level. Only the DI water used (and chemical assays) have requirements down to ppb. And all the chemicals are industry standard. I'm curious the hellbrew chemicals you are thinking of.

He's probably referring to one of the mixes that engineers pull from satan's cookbook that are straight 4's on a HAZCOM placard and have no known neutralizers other than time and distance.

In a fab, you'll only deal with lecture bottles of those kind of things from that one chemical engineer (you know which one it is) and not anything that's plumbed through the facility.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/poutinesmoothie/status/1550071500811665408

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

chienandalusia posted:

Makes sense. If there is a case to be made for double walled pipes that even capital can understand, it would probably be made with something like HF.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

all rules and regs are written in blood spilled beans.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

B33rChiller posted:

Makes sense. If there is a case to be made for double walled pipes that even capital can understand, it would probably be made with something like HF.

In the lab I'm at, all the eyewash stations have little pucks of calcium glucanate or whatever you're supposed to have on hand for HF incidents

chienandalusia
Feb 17, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

In the lab I'm at, all the eyewash stations have little pucks of calcium glucanate or whatever you're supposed to have on hand for HF incidents

Yes, there are tubes of calcium glycinate next to the eyewashes and emergency showers near the HF/BOE benches. HF doesn't burn, but will attack calcium (ie. your bones). Sulfuric acid burns are more obvious.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Successful emergency ferry evacuation in Canada due to fire

https://imgur.com/gallery/twg88Rl

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Unsecured granular load mixed with human kindness and/or people needing the road cleared

https://i.imgur.com/HIwkiwB.mp4

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nice to see that Something Awful still gets an occasional shout out.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ILL Machina posted:

Successful emergency ferry evacuation in Canada due to fire

https://imgur.com/gallery/twg88Rl

I wonder what an emergency evacuation of MS Estonia would have looked like if there had been a fire in calm weather instead of the front falling off in a storm. A lot of the people were sloshed, how do you get hundreds of drunks to put on a lifevest correctly and get into a barge in an orderly fashion? And make them leave their tax free alcohols on the ship?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nenonen posted:

And make them leave their tax free alcohols on the ship?

And create a worse fire hazard?!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Fat Loser posted:

He's probably referring to one of the mixes that engineers pull from satan's cookbook that are straight 4's on a HAZCOM placard and have no known neutralizers other than time and distance.

In a fab, you'll only deal with lecture bottles of those kind of things from that one chemical engineer (you know which one it is) and not anything that's plumbed through the facility.

Hey now, FOOF is only a 4/0/4/ox ; it's not flammable.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

chienandalusia posted:

I more meant if any one of the many caustic, corrosive, or gaseous horrible chemicals manages to leak, the resulting fine aroma of hellbrew byproducts can do real bad poo poo to in process wafers if it somehow finds a way in. I know some parts of the process are sensitive enough to basically everything that even tiny amounts of contaminants can cause a batch of wafers to be scrapped and made into decorations vs. continuing the process on them. Like that batch of flash that had to get tossed due to contaminated feedstock.

Now I'm wondering how many layers of redundant systems are in place to keep 'whoops, I spilled some MEK near the lithography unit' from actually causing a batch of wafers to fail due to contaminants.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

WE DEMAND PICTURES!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ILL Machina posted:

Unsecured granular load mixed with human kindness and/or people needing the road cleared

https://i.imgur.com/HIwkiwB.mp4

so what is the textbook definition of "granular "?

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

I more meant if any one of the many caustic, corrosive, or gaseous horrible chemicals manages to leak, the resulting fine aroma of hellbrew byproducts can do real bad poo poo to in process wafers if it somehow finds a way in. I know some parts of the process are sensitive enough to basically everything that even tiny amounts of contaminants can cause a batch of wafers to be scrapped and made into decorations vs. continuing the process on them. Like that batch of flash that had to get tossed due to contaminated feedstock.

Now I'm wondering how many layers of redundant systems are in place to keep 'whoops, I spilled some MEK near the lithography unit' from actually causing a batch of wafers to fail due to contaminants.

It depends.

The tools in a fab are FAR more valuable than any batch of wafers.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

For what you're talking about, transition metals do that just fine. PPT-PPB amounts of gold can wreck a batch of wafers just fine. Gold-handling processes get basically quarantined from everything else. The biggest contamination concerns are boring stuff like chloride, gold, copper, human juice, etc. Either through volume or how much they wreck an in-process wafer. MEK you're not gonna see outside of an enclosed system inside a fab. Smells too awful for starters.

As for the doom chemistry, CVD/diffusion gases make HF look pleasant. Stuff like silanes to deposit Si or other stuff. Some of it gets made on site by who I think is a dark wizard since it's easier than permitting the shipment. Those systems are totally enclosed with kickass exhaust systems. A good chunk of my job is analyzing/identifying dusty exhaust buildup so it can be safely cleaned. Usually it's just sand though.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/MikeCollierWX/status/1550578309947342850

Is there even anything that could be done about this besides wait for it to stop burning?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:stare:

I'm sure that's hugely expensive and the biggest pain to deal with but man, it looks really cool.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeCollierWX/status/1550578309947342850

Is there even anything that could be done about this besides wait for it to stop burning?

Use another wind turbine to blow it out, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chienandalusia
Feb 17, 2011

Back-end processes (once the metal connects are deposited on the wafers) are segregated from the tools that do the front-end processing (making the transistors). Exotic metals (gold, etc.) are usually done in a separate building.