Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Tiny Timbs posted:

I watched Sopranos for the first time in 2020 and in my opinion it has aged brilliantly

Everything has been said about it at this point (because it's twenty years old and redefined television and etc etc) but it's so funny rewatching it now because the central themes of 'people dont change and everything is only getting worse' has come to define our entire culture lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Warrior rocks cock

Yeah, Warrior owns extremely hard.

fake edit: I wrote this first thinking this was about the MMA movie with Tom Hardy, before I remembered the Kung Fu show had the same name. But that doesn't actually make a difference cause they're both great.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

No mention of Deadwood is just shameful. Shame on you. Shame on all of you.

I just finished McGruber. Never saw the sketches, never saw the movie, but there are some absolutely hilarious lines in it.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Google Butt posted:

Warrior rocks cock

Warrior owns (show and movie) but Banshee (by one of the producers of warrior) is also on HBO max and that show kicks all sorts of rear end. Just some incredible fights and action.

Also how has no one recommended We Own This City. I know it was recent but it's fantastic

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

We Own This City may or may not be their best recent miniseries (I really liked Scenes from a Marriage), but it is amazing nonetheless and has the most quietly brutal scene I think I’ve seen in one of their shows in a while

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Westworld season 1 is excellent and should be watched just for Anthony Hopkins' performance alone. Season 2 fell off a metaphorical and literal cliff. Stopped bothering with the show after that.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

started and finished severance on apple tv in like two days and it's one of the coolest things ive seen in a long time

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

College Rockout posted:

Westworld season 1 is excellent and should be watched just for Anthony Hopkins' performance alone. Season 2 fell off a metaphorical and literal cliff. Stopped bothering with the show after that.

I poked into season 3 hoping for an interesting soft-reboot, or at least some fun trashy cyberpunk nonsense. I couldn't make it more than halfway into the first episode. Just atrocious.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Am I thinking of a different show or is Westworld S2 the result of the writers reading the reddit and trying to stay one step ahead of the fan theories

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

toggle posted:

No mention of Deadwood is just shameful. Shame on you. Shame on all of you.

I just finished McGruber. Never saw the sketches, never saw the movie, but there are some absolutely hilarious lines in it.

I went into McGruber the same way, and yeah, its much better than it has any right to be.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Speaking of Severance - they recreated it for an interactive experience at Comic Con. Awesome.

https://gizmodo.com/severance-comic-con-activation-adam-scott-apple-tv-plus-1849269554

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Modern Leper posted:

Critics are spilling ink over the ethical implications at the end of the first episode of the Rehearsal, but I haven't seen enough mention of the earlier moment at the pool where Nathan gets an old man to interrupt after Kor makes a deep personal disclosure, so Kor will think that Nathan was about to make one of his own. I recognize why the second feels more impactful, because of the reason for the choice and for the idiosyncratic importance to Kor, but man that first moment really made me sit up and wonder "is this just hosed up?"

how lame

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Everything has been said about it at this point (because it's twenty years old and redefined television and etc etc) but it's so funny rewatching it now because the central themes of 'people dont change and everything is only getting worse' has come to define our entire culture lol

Yeah I’d be interested in seeing what people think *didn’t* age well about its portrayal of society and the lives these people lead, because a lot of it still seemed perfectly relevant. Especially when it comes to how the wealthy interact have such a different experience with law and consequence.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

BonoMan posted:

Speaking of Severance - they recreated it for an interactive experience at Comic Con. Awesome.

https://gizmodo.com/severance-comic-con-activation-adam-scott-apple-tv-plus-1849269554

drat this would have been really cool to check out. never been to cc before but i might have to check it out next year

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

College Rockout posted:

That first season was perfect tv and in retrospect I would've been happy never to have more than that.

Wolfsheim posted:

Am I thinking of a different show or is Westworld S2 the result of the writers reading the reddit and trying to stay one step ahead of the fan theories

I vaguely remember interviews around the first season with Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy about how the idea for the show was in their minds for a long time; I think the problem is that they had so long to think up how the first season would work out and write it that way but Season 2 was a rush job by comparison and didn't have the time to stew before production. I think the same could be said of True Detective from season 1 to 2.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Wolfsheim posted:

Nope, that's exactly what happened.

https://vocal.media/geeks/what-a-spoilersport-jonathan-nolan-changes-westworld-season-2-because-of-reddit-spoilers

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The entire David Simon catalog on hbo, in order.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

College Rockout posted:

Skip season 3 completely as it seems the creators are also pretending it never happened. Season 4 is a return to form for sure.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

More writers need to adopt a "gently caress the fans" attitude instead of whatever this is

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

PlushCow posted:

That first season was perfect tv and in retrospect I would've been happy never to have more than that.

Hard agree. I spent a lot of time thinking about the show after season 1. Spoilers follow, but I'm not gonna tag them because it's the actual hook of the show that even non-show watchers know.

Anyway, it's about self-aware robots right? That's all well and good but actually it's incredible. Like, at the end of the universe, if you were to list the 10 defining moments throughout the billions of years it existed, you'd have something like,

1. the big bang itself
2. matter coalescing
3. formation of structures like stars and planets
4. life emerging
5. conscious / self-aware life
6. artificial life and self-awareness (Westworld season 1)

7-10 ?

Like, season one is the story of one of the most significant events in all of time. You either have to stop there, or tell an equally significant event in season 2. If there had to be further seasons, I think season 2 should have done a time skip to the point where organic and inorganic minds meld. That's the next truly significant event of a similar scale, because then the galaxy is open. If human minds can be uploaded into inorganic forms, you can then travel for centuries in space with no problems. So season two should be the story of how a long conflict between robots and humans results in a merge of the two and how that changes everything. Society would be unrecognizable. I have no idea how that could be filmed, with everyone ditching bodies and living in computer chips.

A season 3 would be the next universally significant event, meeting an alien race. Did they have the same kind of organic / inorganic meld?

Season 4 is galactic empire.

Eventually you get to the last season which would basically be their version of Asimov's The Last Question.

Robot melodrama ain't it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

More writers need to adopt a "gently caress the fans" attitude instead of whatever this is

This isn't even about "gently caress the fans," it's having confidence in your own writing. What a strange thing to do.

It's not wrong for fans of the show to talk about it and theorize about what's happening.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Tiny Timbs posted:

This isn't even about "gently caress the fans," it's having confidence in your own writing. What a strange thing to do.

It's not wrong for fans of the show to talk about it and theorize about what's happening.

There's a theory that this is also part of why GRRM has stalled, that he made changes to outsmart fan predictions and accidentally wrote himself into a corner.

I don't buy it, I think he's just a fat lazy perv, but I wouldn't have believed it about Westworld till that article, so.....

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

One More Fat Nerd posted:

There's a theory that this is also part of why GRRM has stalled, that he made changes to outsmart fan predictions and accidentally wrote himself into a corner.

I don't buy it, I think he's just a fat lazy perv, but I wouldn't have believed it about Westworld till that article, so.....

He's said he's made changes to the story based on the show, incorporating things that he liked, and changing things that weren't well received by the audience and critics.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

B-Rock452 posted:

Warrior owns (show and movie) but Banshee (by one of the producers of warrior) is also on HBO max and that show kicks all sorts of rear end. Just some incredible fights and action.

Also how has no one recommended We Own This City. I know it was recent but it's fantastic

Only knock I've ever had against Warrior is that it needs a lot more "gently caress your mother" s to sound authentically Chinese.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Thrones, Barry and Stranger Things both also made changes because of audience reactions

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's changing things based on what an audience likes and doesn't like, which can be helpful if you're selective about it. (I.e. you know what you have to keep in order for the story to work.) Changing something that hasn't happened yet solely to have a Big Twist is going to lead to the story being tied up in knots.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
no idea why westword wasnt an anthology show. old west for one season, japan world for another, generic sci fi another, etc. duh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
westworld owns, too bad it got canceled after 1 season :smith:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

westworld owns, too bad it got canceled after 1 season :smith:

Anything that could get Radiohead, NIN and idk, Soundgarden and The Animals together can't be all bad.

And then have Ramin Djawadi wrap it up in a nice little piano package over bored effete white people confusing sex and murder to their dismay.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Just finished The Grey Man on Netflix. To its credit, I also liked the movies it's desperately trying to be.

Might have been better at half the budget. By the end I was tired of yet another sprawling gunfight, yet another person diving away from an explosion through a window, yet another instance of someone showing how badass they are by fighting through a serious injury. None of the action is terrible, but it's also not so compelling that there needs to be this much of it. Maybe if the story or characters were more interesting, but despite a good cast it's just there to get you from one lavishly-executed but uninspired action scene to the next.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Been watching Lower Decks on Paramount+ and it definitely improves as it goes on and becomes a bit less of a breakneck lol so random Rick and Morty thing where every character is constantly shouting. <wobbles on cane> It's obviously still very silly, but it at least takes a breath and does stuff that is slightly more in-universe reasonable. Long way of saying, if you're a Star Trek fan at all and haven't watched it, it's worth watching even if it rubs you the wrong way at first. They pull some fun deep cuts out for jokes.

If you're a fan of Comedy Bang Bang you'll also find that it is absolutely packed with voice actors that have been on the podcast.

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m too stupid I didn’t even figure out the dual timeline thing was happening in the first season until someone explained it to me lol

don't feel stupid, it was very intentionally a twist. I don't think it ruins the season at all to know it in advance, but I guarantee the majority of people that figured it out early on did so thanks to Reddit.

I'm enjoying Westworld Season 4 a lot but it's partly just because it's got an awesome aesthetic and production value combined with at least trying for some high-concept sci fi. It's got a hell of a lot more to like than shows like Foundation. Just treat it like a nutty space opera. I'm usually reading a recap as I'm watching it because it's all over the place, and it helps make it more fun for me.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Glottis posted:

I'm enjoying Westworld Season 4 a lot but it's partly just because it's got an awesome aesthetic and production value combined with at least trying for some high-concept sci fi. It's got a hell of a lot more to like than shows like Foundation. Just treat it like a nutty space opera. I'm usually reading a recap as I'm watching it because it's all over the place, and it helps make it more fun for me.

You're not the only one, I'm still enjoying it. I love the aesthetic, the acting is top notch, and they're constantly moving the story forward while exploring the themes of control and free will.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm still early into Lower Decks, it's fun but the format has made it hard to develop the characters much. I'm enough of a sicko that I'd kinda like to see more of the drudgery and just being the people to whom the big important things *don't* happen, you're just trying to keep the Jeffries Tube clean. But it's a good show and they're definitely trying to develop the characters as they go, there just hasn't been a lot of room.

Theme music's a banger too.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Saw netflix Metal Lords.ok movie, got some heart, good music and a jacuzzi scene with scott ian, tom morello, kirk hammet and rob halford.3/5 would shred again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Saw netflix Metal Lords.ok movie, got some heart, good music and a jacuzzi scene with scott ian, tom morello, kirk hammet and rob halford.3/5 would shred again.

it's pretty good, basically a film version of the Mountain Goats song "The Best Ever Death Metal Band Outta Denton"

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Just finished The Grey Man on Netflix. To its credit, I also liked the movies it's desperately trying to be.

Might have been better at half the budget. By the end I was tired of yet another sprawling gunfight, yet another person diving away from an explosion through a window, yet another instance of someone showing how badass they are by fighting through a serious injury. None of the action is terrible, but it's also not so compelling that there needs to be this much of it. Maybe if the story or characters were more interesting, but despite a good cast it's just there to get you from one lavishly-executed but uninspired action scene to the next.
This movie sucks and the only good part is when at one point Ana de Armas bundles up in a bunch of layers with a little beanie on top like she's ready to go for a walk in the snow at twilight, except she also has like 4 RPGs and she just starts sprinting around like Sonic the Hedgehog while blowing poo poo up.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This movie sucks and the only good part is when at one point Ana de Armas bundles up in a bunch of layers with a little beanie on top like she's ready to go for a walk in the snow at twilight, except she also has like 4 RPGs and she just starts sprinting around like Sonic the Hedgehog while blowing poo poo up.
She completely stole the show in one scene of the last Bond movie, is that just gonna be her thing now?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Martman posted:

She completely stole the show in one scene of the last Bond movie, is that just gonna be her thing now?
Unfortunately she doesn't really get to act in The Gray Man. For all I know that was a body double dressed up in snow gear sprinting around with explosives. The Bond movie gave her a fun character to play. In this movie, she has no personality, a trait she shares with everyone in the movie except for Chris Evans, whose personality is "bad man with a moustache." I said de Armas booking it and blasting poo poo was the only good part of the movie but in retrospect Chris Evans's moustache is also good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought The Gray Man was pretty decent. :shobon:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Martman posted:

She has more of a role in this. Needed the credits to know if her character even had a name here, though, but also she's maybe the only character who doesn't suffer from poor dialogue at least once

$200mil budget fully spent between signing the people involved and using as much smoke as they could during the fight scenes