Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

the better troll would have been to have left this account with that first post but seraph can't help himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I'm an eco warrior because I love destroying the environment, namaste

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

Eco Warrior Seraph posted:

gently caress, I didn't know that. Well, I guess if gamers have to go without new graphics cards it's worth Ukraine not having that 60 million USD in bitcoin aid, right?

https://scameconomy.com/e/1n2k3118-7-the-crypto-grift-descends-on-ukraine
:jerkbag:

Eco Warrior Seraph
Jul 22, 2022

by Pragmatica

Strong Sauce posted:

the better troll would have been to have left this account with that first post but seraph can't help himself

it's just too much fun. it really is. I'm giggling myself silly, so I would say I AM in touch with myself here.

Namaste.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

It's fine, Ukraine was just going to use up all of its sovereignty in some hairbrained scheme anyway so it's really no difference if Russia invades and takes over. It's geopolitics that's the problem.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Strong Sauce posted:

Same attention-seeking, validation-and-acceptance-craving, but is-driven-by-superiority-complex-to-post-like-an-rear end in a top hat bullshit as always.

Also just loving lol at the ignorance and privilege of "Mexican ecovillage". Yeah, let's go glamping forever with our burner friends in a pretty place where some poor people used to live, but, you know, they weren't really seeing its potential.

Ban the pedo.

Eco Warrior Seraph
Jul 22, 2022

by Pragmatica

mdxi posted:

Same attention-seeking, validation-and-acceptance-craving, but is-driven-by-superiority-complex-to-post-like-an-rear end in a top hat bullshit as always.

Also just loving lol at the ignorance and privilege of "Mexican ecovillage". Yeah, let's go glamping forever with our burner friends in a pretty place where some poor people used to live, but, you know, they weren't really seeing its potential.
holy gently caress i'm super owned. I thought I was doing the right thing! Back to therapy square one!

Just kidding no one lived there it was a jungle that would have been clear cut for lumber.

Namaste

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

"I have inner peace, see you later suckers!"

(every five seconds) "Nah, I'mma stay"

Eco Warrior Seraph
Jul 22, 2022

by Pragmatica

Serious_Cyclone posted:

"I have inner peace, see you later suckers!"

(every five seconds) "Nah, I'mma stay"

lmao <3

posts like this are why i can't resist coming back here every so often. You fuckers are almost as good at trolling as me.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Yes hi hello we know Seraph is back I'm waiting for the admins to come down from Olympus and consort with us mere mortals a couple things on my end before we can deal with this

thank you

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
hi seraph, bye seraph :wave:

see ya next time

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I would also like to point out that GBS had a two hitter yesterday in terms of reports and now you have to come in and be a poo poo seraph so good riddance!!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

He did it, he found inner peace

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That was a whirlwind! I think that was my first seraph exposure.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Hey apes, take number and shove it up your buttcoin.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1550148969350717449

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Capitalism is the problem, we can't solve a global systemic problem by targeting one or another reasons we're making GBS threads where we eat.

I have mixed feelings on supporting bitcoin these days, on the one hand it disempowers nation-state governments, which is great, as they're terrible because they all support capitalism. On the other it's horrible for the environment, which is loving terrible.

Bitcoin is literally the epitome of destructive capitalism as hyper libertarianism and an attempt at redoing the gold standard (limited quantity), a speedrun on blowing up the global financial system and the planet in the process. It's a less regulated vehicle (because it's stupid) designed to take money from the lower and middle class, designed that if it becomes our currency would plunge the entire world into increasing levels of poverty as the price rises. It is explicit class warfare on a country level. Our financial system has issues but not as much as Bitcoin.

The only thing it supports is making people poorer and burning up energy and our climate.

Like let's say Bitcoin is someday worth $1b and everyone who has them is fabulously rich?

What happens to the other 99% of the world who doesn't have them, which would convert over time as people are literally born without Bitcoin? (remember they get increasingly concentrated over time). Slavery levels of poverty, because now you also have to have money to get money because transactions are not free. Now you need some amount of Bitcoin to get Bitcoin. Great system.

It's a speculative asset, it is not the future and is not made to be.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

What happens to the other 99% of the world who doesn't have them, which would convert over time as people are literally born without Bitcoin? (remember they get increasingly concentrated over time). Slavery levels of poverty, because now you also have to have money to get money because transactions are not free. Now you need some amount of Bitcoin to get Bitcoin. Great system.
It is a great system, if your intended output is "I am now the 1%, or the 0.001%, as was DENIED me by (((THEM)))"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

notwithoutmyanus posted:

What happens to the other 99% of the world who doesn't have them, which would convert over time as people are literally born without Bitcoin?

Clearly what would happen is that there would be 8 billion lambos that everyone would drive for leisure. We would have 100% unemployment because everyone is so rich, and all houses would be hundred acre mansions. It would be a utopia!!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I know this archetype. True or false, it's the same narcissistic archetype trying to find the right combination of buzzwords to attract approval. That's it. Some clear remaining belief in crypto remains, because narcissists may not be able to believe in humans but they sure can believe in fairy farts.
lots of sociopathy here too. both generally go hand in hand.

he would prob be a better sociopath if his narcissism didn't get in the way.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh ok then

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Aw shucks I saw the post count go up and thought there was a big dip

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
nope, just another round of "scroll past a few pages until the mods catch up"

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

well that was fun, let's not do that again

mdxi posted:

i got :10bux: says the only bit of that story that might not be utter bullshit is "I left NYC". There is approximately zero chance that the deranged poster known as seraph 1) ever had that much in crypto in the first place, 2) managed to time the top (or close enough) of the market and cash out to 3) buy a new home, and 4) get qualified for a mortgage on 5) a winter condo in Mexico, which he shares with 6) MYYYY WIIIIFE. just absolute horseshit top to bottom right from the beginning, same as always

anyway, the one CFTC commissioner who really loves shitcoins is pissed at the SEC for (correctly) trying to put some shitcoins under their purview, because she would prefer that they (incorrectly) remain under her purview, where she could continue to do nothing about them
https://twitter.com/leereiners/status/1550164974433193988

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Salt Fish posted:

Clearly what would happen is that there would be 8 billion lambos that everyone would drive for leisure. We would have 100% unemployment because everyone is so rich, and all houses would be hundred acre mansions. It would be a utopia!!

I think they tried that with Crypto Land. They even made not-so-subtle nods to the Libertarian dream of lowering the age of consent to a level at or beneath "mental maturity".

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Blotto_Otter posted:

just absolute horseshit top to bottom right from the beginning, same as always

You can always tell who hit it rich by the fact that they feel the need to assault a message board until they get banned again, instead of being out living life like a rich person.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I think they tried that with Crypto Land. They even made not-so-subtle nods to the Libertarian dream of lowering the age of consent to a level at or beneath "mental maturity".

a crypto classic right up there with brazil.txt

https://twitter.com/widesauce/status/1478816782966136832

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Blotto_Otter posted:

anyway, the one CFTC commissioner who really loves shitcoins is pissed at the SEC for (correctly) trying to put some shitcoins under their purview, because she would prefer that they (incorrectly) remain under her purview, where she could continue to do nothing about them
https://twitter.com/leereiners/status/1550164974433193988

For those not in the know, this is part of the regulatory war between the SEC and the CFTC over who has jurisdiction of crypto. If the CFTC has their way, crypto would probably be mostly unregulated, and if the SEC has their way, it's gonna be full crackdown

For a regulatory battle it's actually kind of bloody!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i sure hope they don't stifle any innovation :ohdear:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Speaking of the GME stock and it's split, is there a thread for that?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

There was a GME stock thread like a year and a half ago back when that bubble happened but there’s not much interesting going on there.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The thing is that when you trade bitcoin or ethereum, they're not securities, because you're trading the thing per se and they represent nothing except its own value. But that doesn't make them commodities either, per the definitions in 7 USC ­§ 1(a), at least when traded directly for USD and back. (Were these contracts to settle at a future date, e.g., futures and options, then that'd be a different story, because the CFTCs remit includes derivatives.) So there's a real legal gray zone here; the closest analogy would be forex markets, but the gambling side is done as derivatives which falls strictly in CFTC's turf; offhand I don't know who would regulate spot-market exchanges, except maybe general banking regulations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The entire system has to go, yesterday, before it takes us down with it.

being in crypto is being a big, big part of the problem

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

Split took effect today and the price promptly dumped 8% (on a split adjusted basis). Predictably, the stonker narrative is that this was due to some conspiracy or something

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

kw0134 posted:

The thing is that when you trade bitcoin or ethereum, they're not securities, because you're trading the thing per se and they represent nothing except its own value. But that doesn't make them commodities either, per the definitions in 7 USC ­§ 1(a), at least when traded directly for USD and back. (Were these contracts to settle at a future date, e.g., futures and options, then that'd be a different story, because the CFTCs remit includes derivatives.) So there's a real legal gray zone here; the closest analogy would be forex markets, but the gambling side is done as derivatives which falls strictly in CFTC's turf; offhand I don't know who would regulate spot-market exchanges, except maybe general banking regulations.

sure, but bitcoin and ethereum are not currently the battleground in the turf war; the SEC is specifically going after 9 other cryptos that have been held out by their creators as representing something other than just the coin/token's own intrinsic value:
https://twitter.com/tier10k/status/1550148619453562885
the SEC isn't reaching into the gray zone that btc and eth are in, they're looking at all the other shitcoins that actually do resemble securities, and finally making that explicit after ducking the issue for far too long. (and this CFTC commissioner is just engaging in a lot of bad-faith whining because she's a crypto fan.)

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Video game graphics cards for rich white kids that burn the electricity of a microwave so they can scream slurs down their mics while owning other kids at call of duty, but no one here sees any problem with that.

It's all toxic, through and through. It's not just bitcoin.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
I've always noticed this argument from crypto shitstains investors every time graphics cards come up. "Waaa, you poor little children can't play your stupid games because us real adults are using the graphics cards guess numbers to get fake money." It tries to paint one of the most widely participated forms of modern entertainment with the the 1980s "lol, fuckin computer nerds" mindset. It's ironic because it's coming from people who live in a far deeper fantasy world than any gamer could (the fantasy obviously getting rich off a ponzi scheme).

I always see this argument presented as basically games are a waste of resources and electricity in comparison to noble number guessing. Just the lovely argument that graphics cards are for "rich white kids" is extremely stupid, because people around the world who play games have either had to pay 3X++ the cost for upgrading due to crypto miners driving up the price, or sit back and wait (for years now) for the prices and supply to return.
It's also a dumb argument because even avid gamers don't have their GPUs running at turbo speed 24/7 like a mining rig. I think that pairs with the new branding of mining as being a net positive for the world because electricity doesn't get wasted or something dumb like that.

Also,

quote:

It's all toxic, through and through. It's not just bitcoin.
An "all sides are bad so it doesn't matter" argument. Nice. How's the latest South Park season going?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

kw0134 posted:

So I read 7 USC section 1(a) and I didn’t realize that commodities by definition were goods with a futures market. I always felt Bitcoin operated most similarly to a commodity since it’s a fungible easily exchanged and directly sold item without added brand value. It’s not a security, as it’s not associated with an underlying value generating enterprise, and it’s not a currency as evidenced by its entire history of use. But there’s no Bitcoin futures market, so I guess it’s not a commodity by definition. Weird.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
APES STROMG TOGETHER

https://www.reddit.com/r/Superstonk/comments/w57cui/the_time_has_come_once_again/

To prevent the price of their meme stock from falling even further, the apes are doing mass buys to artificially postpone its inevitable collapse.

quote:

This is my second time. I still regret not buying more back then... but I don't regret the tempering of my hand into the hardest of diamond
This king is gonna make it

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Blotto_Otter posted:

sure, but bitcoin and ethereum are not currently the battleground in the turf war; the SEC is specifically going after 9 other cryptos that have been held out by their creators as representing something other than just the coin/token's own intrinsic value:
https://twitter.com/tier10k/status/1550148619453562885
the SEC isn't reaching into the gray zone that btc and eth are in, they're looking at all the other shitcoins that actually do resemble securities, and finally making that explicit after ducking the issue for far too long. (and this CFTC commissioner is just engaging in a lot of bad-faith whining because she's a crypto fan.)
Oh yeah, clearly the stuff that purport to be something besides itself are securities or securities adjacent (when's the stablecoin crackdown, you assholes). They've already missed the boat on ICOs so we'll see how far this new commitment to a facial reading of the statute leads them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

So I read 7 USC section 1(a) and I didn’t realize that commodities by definition were goods with a futures market. I always felt Bitcoin operated most similarly to a commodity since it’s a fungible easily exchanged and directly sold item without added brand value. It’s not a security, as it’s not associated with an underlying value generating enterprise, and it’s not a currency as evidenced by its entire history of use. But there’s no Bitcoin futures market, so I guess it’s not a commodity by definition. Weird.

CME runs a bitcoin futures market: https://www.cmegroup.com/markets/cryptocurrencies/bitcoin/bitcoin.quotes.html