Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Are you allowed to just go to the track and drive it whenever or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Yeah, it's just a toll road unless it's closed for a special event. My all-time favorite Top Gear moment was Sabine passing sportbikes in a Ford Transit.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Germany is awesome

Pro tip, the Nuremberg ring is absolutely nowhere near the city of nurmburg so take that into account when finalizing your travel plans :eng99:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Oh man, I didn't realize she passed away last year. What a loving legend.

RIP Sabine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Hadlock posted:

Germany is awesome

Pro tip, the Nuremberg ring is absolutely nowhere near the city of nurmburg so take that into account when finalizing your travel plans :eng99:

I guess also figure out the names of things before traveling too, because the Nürburgring is right next to Nürburg.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

True story, I took my lady friend to a topless bar for her 21st birthday after asking to go to a tapas bar

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Pretty much every day it's open from 5 - 7 or so, 25 euros per lap, just don't crash otherwise it gets expensive fast

What surprised me was that you can get 15min sessions on the GP track for 35 euros, at pretty much the same times

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Yeah, it's just a toll road unless it's closed for a special event. My all-time favorite Top Gear moment was Sabine passing sportbikes in a Ford Transit.

Doing that "what the gently caress" gesture from the cab of the van as she undertakes M3s and 911s

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Alfa update:

I took the family on a 250 mile trip up to Prescott with zero problems. Smooth sailing and a combined 26mpg.

I was literally planning out my semi-smug "see this car isn't so bad" post as I was pulling off the highway onto a six-lane surface road. About three miles from my destination the car starts bucking and jerking and cycling seemingly every error code onto the dash. The one that stuck was "Electronic Throttle Control Failure - Service Immediately." The car started stumbling running ~400-500 RPM, shifted to neutral, then the engine died. This was at a stoplight on a 114 degree day with my family in the car. I was able to start it and get a brief moment of forward momentum; thankfully enough to move over three lanes and end up at the entrance to a parking lot.

The engine wouldn't turn over and without that it wouldn't shift into neutral so I couldn't push it anywhere. Some very nice people stopped and offered to help but Alfa made the glorious decision to keep the neutral override under the loving car.

This was my view for about 45 minutes:

With my family out of the car we called a tow truck (2 hour wait) and asked my in-laws to bring some gas. The on-board range calculator said I had 60 miles remaining (at least 3 gallons with a generous assumption of 19mpg) and I've run it much lower in the past. I put 2 gallons in and it did not update the fuel gauge or range estimate. I saw forum posts saying it took four or five restarts to get it going again but it wasn't working. As my FIL was getting a few more gallons of gas and after 45 minutes of sitting it finally started up with the dash entirely lit up.

I was able to limp it home and then to the dealer this morning. But let me just say - gently caress this car. God drat. It's one thing to have some quirky faults or "haha Italians can't build a car" but leaving you stranded with what is most likely a bad fuel pump at 15K miles is incredibly annoying. Also, gently caress automatics that lock out access to neutral. Looks like I learned my lesson buying an automatic.

I still like this car and I'm not sure what I'd replace it with. :ferrari:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Alfa update:

I took the family on a 250 mile trip up to Prescott with zero problems. Smooth sailing and a combined 26mpg.

I was literally planning out my semi-smug "see this car isn't so bad" post as I was pulling off the highway onto a six-lane surface road. About three miles from my destination the car starts bucking and jerking and cycling seemingly every error code onto the dash. The one that stuck was "Electronic Throttle Control Failure - Service Immediately." The car started stumbling running ~400-500 RPM, shifted to neutral, then the engine died. This was at a stoplight on a 114 degree day with my family in the car. I was able to start it and get a brief moment of forward momentum; thankfully enough to move over three lanes and end up at the entrance to a parking lot.

The engine wouldn't turn over and without that it wouldn't shift into neutral so I couldn't push it anywhere. Some very nice people stopped and offered to help but Alfa made the glorious decision to keep the neutral override under the loving car.

This was my view for about 45 minutes:

With my family out of the car we called a tow truck (2 hour wait) and asked my in-laws to bring some gas. The on-board range calculator said I had 60 miles remaining (at least 3 gallons with a generous assumption of 19mpg) and I've run it much lower in the past. I put 2 gallons in and it did not update the fuel gauge or range estimate. I saw forum posts saying it took four or five restarts to get it going again but it wasn't working. As my FIL was getting a few more gallons of gas and after 45 minutes of sitting it finally started up with the dash entirely lit up.

I was able to limp it home and then to the dealer this morning. But let me just say - gently caress this car. God drat. It's one thing to have some quirky faults or "haha Italians can't build a car" but leaving you stranded with what is most likely a bad fuel pump at 15K miles is incredibly annoying. Also, gently caress automatics that lock out access to neutral. Looks like I learned my lesson buying an automatic.

I still like this car and I'm not sure what I'd replace it with. :ferrari:

Alfa gonna Alfa…

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Cojawfee posted:

I guess also figure out the names of things before traveling too, because the Nürburgring is right next to Nürburg.

This bears repeating, because during my time as the token-German at USAG Bamberg, there were countless occasions where army buddies had their friends fly in with the promise that the Ring was " right around the corner" since Nürnberg (Nuremberg) was half an hour to the south.

It's not like any of those folks ditched their plans on account of their anticipated drive suddenly being 4 hours instead of 30mins, but boy howdy, there was many a last-minute hotel cancellation/booking that could have been avoided with some basic research

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

God drat Pr0kjayhawk that loving sucks. Uhhhh maybe manual swap it (i think there was a manual in europe for the first year or two right?)

But in reality man that does suck that you basically don’t really have ways to fix that other than ya going away from :italy:

Also lmfao is :ferrari: new and from the last couple races? (I am behind in the worst thread)

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Haha yes that is the best thing to come from the worst thread in some time.

Most of the European reviews mentioned the manual being worse than the ZF8. And never mind the $20K+ the conversion would cost, I’d lose the warranty. This is not a car you own out of warranty. I’m sticking with it for now.

In a perfect world I’d start working an E91 M3 build since that will probably take a couple years. But those 529s don’t fill up on their own.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Haha yes that is the best thing to come from the worst thread in some time.

Most of the European reviews mentioned the manual being worse than the ZF8. And never mind the $20K+ the conversion would cost, I’d lose the warranty. This is not a car you own out of warranty. I’m sticking with it for now.

In a perfect world I’d start working an E91 M3 build since that will probably take a couple years. But those 529s don’t fill up on their own.

Heh, I started with the RWD manual E91 and now while I search for the donor S65 :getin:

No kids means no 529s, simple as.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
e91s are great cars.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

TheBacon posted:

God drat Pr0kjayhawk that loving sucks. Uhhhh maybe manual swap it (i think there was a manual in europe for the first year or two right?)

But in reality man that does suck that you basically don’t really have ways to fix that other than ya going away from :italy:

Also lmfao is :ferrari: new and from the last couple races? (I am behind in the worst thread)
Yeah but that box is brittle and can't even withstand 2.2 liter diesel torques. It's the same reason you can't get manual in BMWs either, no one makes box that'll take the torques and be beefy and cheap enough for the laughable take rate.

I'm neurotic when it comes to fuel, I can't let the fuel light to turn to yellow (or red as my previous car would show 100s of km left when in reality it was empty.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Elite Taco posted:

e91s are great cars.

Update on this. I am now considering selling my e91 and purchasing a cool rear end e61

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Elite Taco posted:

Update on this. I am now considering selling my e91 and purchasing a cool rear end e61

that's thirty less e's!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hope you really, really like working on cars

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Elite Taco posted:

Skip ahead to g11

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Guinness posted:

that's thirty less e's!

Buy an E30 to make up the missing Es

Like this one that's on sale for $25k
https://blog.catuned.com/catuned-e30-custom-coupe-mtech-ix/

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

hope you really, really like working on cars

We pulled apart half the N52 in his E91 like 2 months ago, so sort of.

Also he didn't say N54!!!

It's an N54

Hadlock posted:

Skip ahead to g11

He is already talking about G99, please don't feed these brain worms

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Elite Taco posted:

.. are you buying another N52 and making Bacon do the work a second time??

I did both of my E90s at the end of ownership, so when I got the F30 I did the M tune within like 2 months. Tuning then selling a car is miserable, not to mention finding all the 3 stage parts *twice*.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Alarbus posted:

.. are you buying another N52 and making Bacon do the work a second time??

I did both of my E90s at the end of ownership, so when I got the F30 I did the M tune within like 2 months. Tuning then selling a car is miserable, not to mention finding all the 3 stage parts *twice*.

The potential e61 is a 335/n54. It will come with impeccable maintenance records and has been very well cared for.

Pros:
- Larger seats
- More cargo space
- "more luxurious"
- N54 (more power)
- Lol larger engine bay (to work on the dang n54)
- Car will likely appreciate
- Potential s85 swap brain worms fantasy

I've been building my e91 as the ultimate family road tripper. The e61 is farther down that path and will serve for longer as my kids grow. My wife will never drive either car (she doesn't want to learn to drive stick)

Cons:
- Requires spending money to acquire/I already own a badass e91
- Literally everything will be more expensive for this car
- N54 maintenance/reliability relative to the n52
- Dramatically smaller parts pool relative to e91/e90 chassis

Basically I can just keep fixing up my e91 (I'm well on my way), or I can get the larger (more rare) car with slightly better full family road trip characteristics and start climbing upgrade mountain again.

After a night's sleep, it's a tough choice! Strong bias toward doing nothing and continuuing to enjoy the e91 I'm already really happy with.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Nevermind. I'm gonna keep on tricking out my e91 and just keep putting money in my Singer 964 piggybank.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Elite Taco posted:

The potential e61 is a 335/n54. It will come with impeccable maintenance records and has been very well cared for.

Pros:
- Larger seats
- More cargo space
- "more luxurious"
- N54 (more power)
- Lol larger engine bay (to work on the dang n54)
- Car will likely appreciate
- Potential s85 swap brain worms fantasy

I've been building my e91 as the ultimate family road tripper. The e61 is farther down that path and will serve for longer as my kids grow. My wife will never drive either car (she doesn't want to learn to drive stick)

Cons:
- Requires spending money to acquire/I already own a badass e91
- Literally everything will be more expensive for this car
- N54 maintenance/reliability relative to the n52
- Dramatically smaller parts pool relative to e91/e90 chassis

Basically I can just keep fixing up my e91 (I'm well on my way), or I can get the larger (more rare) car with slightly better full family road trip characteristics and start climbing upgrade mountain again.

After a night's sleep, it's a tough choice! Strong bias toward doing nothing and continuuing to enjoy the e91 I'm already really happy with.

I have both an n54 e61 and an N52 6mt e91.

I have found exactly ONE e61 (n52) in a upull yard, but have found a few part outs over time. Other than rear hatch area trim and rear doors, most everything else swaps to the sedans. P. sure the N54 is harder to get to in the e6x chassis'.

I had the e61 first, so I came to the e91 a little underwhelmed compared to the comfort and power of the e61, even with the manual.

My e61 is currently down, but I've put about 30k miles (and took it past 200k on stock turbos) on it since I put it on the road in sept 2019. If you're serious about an e61, meatpimp's thread was a good resource for me when I was first getting to learn its habits.

Wait, is it a manual e61? Because holy poo poo, buy it anyway and mothball it if you have to.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Yep - it's a manual

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29148912&postcount=6554

It will probably be on BaT soon.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
4wd E61 - Bigass grille era: I can't see how ugly this thing is, I'm inside, and I don't care how much it costs me

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 29, 2022

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Anyone got any pics or a source of how the transmission cooler lines on a 1998 540i are routed from the cooler back? Looks like 1997 and same years 7 series would be about the same.

One of my lines broke and it looks like the PO did not put all the mounting brackets, etc. back on correctly causing chafing and failure. Its is also possible they used the next years' lines on a repair. Real OEM illustrations are not helpful and I cannot find Volume 1 of my Bentley's manual.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

E9* / N52 owners - Gonna do a 2,000 mile road trip in September with my 127k mile E91. Any suggestions on things to do before the trip?

When I bought it in April I did have the valve cover gasket replaced, as well as the spark plugs. I've been debating just getting the oil filter gasket replaced before it's an issue but I need to see what that costs first :v:

I went on a 20 mile drive out of the city last Thursday, on a drive I've done many times, and the car randomly started vibrating quite harshly on the highway. No warning lights or anything but I pulled over and look around and didn't see anything wrong :shrug: Got back on the highway, floored it, felt fine until back up to highway speeds. Got off the highway and it was fine. I've put another 80 miles on the car since Thursday, including doing that same drive again, and it's felt fine since.

It's been a long time since I've owned a car with this many miles on it, and then it was a family owned one so I knew its history quite well. So "high miles, old age, used" is kinda unfamiliar territory for me :thunk:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Clean the vanos solenoids. It's easy enough, you take off the intake snorkel, and they're right in front. The clip is a 10mm bolt, I think. Pull it out, hose it down with carb cleaner, blow out with canned/compressed air, reinstall. That might be the cause of your stumble, though it usually throws a timing code.

Otherwise if you're up on maintenance, I wouldn't really worry about it? I mean, check oil, other fluid, brake, and tire air levels.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
from the OP's description that sounds much more like a steering / suspension / rotational problem than the engine stumbling, but more clarity would be helpful!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Hmm, good point.

Well, still clean the solenoids before the trip.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not sure what else to say :v: I was leaning more towards suspension than engine myself, but I guess I can't really say why I think that.

I didn't feel it in the steering wheel at all, but the whole car itself felt like it was vibrating/shaking. The engine did seem a bit louder than typical too. No issues with power delivery or braking. And like I said it's felt back to normal since that night.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
did it change with wheel speed or engine speed?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I assume thats a bit of road you have driven before and it was normal? I get the same thing on a couple stretches of highway/roads here when I moved that freaked me out at first before I realized it was just more talkative on the rain grooving when it is done a particular way

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There is a stretch of road I drive nearly every day where it gets a bit shaky, I think the road is just like that sometimes. It only happens there and only sometimes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

did it change with wheel speed or engine speed?

Whether I was doing 60 or 70 it felt fairly consistent. Didn't happen immediately upon getting up to highway speeds, but kicked in maybe after 5-10 miles on the highway.

TheBacon posted:

I assume thats a bit of road you have driven before and it was normal? I get the same thing on a couple stretches of highway/roads here when I moved that freaked me out at first before I realized it was just more talkative on the rain grooving when it is done a particular way

Yea, it's a route I do 2x per week for a few months now. And I just went out for the same drive yesterday morning and it felt fine.

I do always hate that random stretch of road that causes your car to drive differently causing a brief mild panic :v:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure what else to say :v: I was leaning more towards suspension than engine myself, but I guess I can't really say why I think that.

I didn't feel it in the steering wheel at all, but the whole car itself felt like it was vibrating/shaking. The engine did seem a bit louder than typical too. No issues with power delivery or braking. And like I said it's felt back to normal since that night.

I can't keep the e91s around here straight. Is yours AWD? Mine needs (as best I can tell) its transfer case fluid changed, which is causing a binding where the clutches for the front wheels aren't fully retracting, causing a binding/lurch going around tight corners. I decided to gamble with an xDelete flash until I can properly diagnose and address it. The flash worked, and the car is smooth around tight corners now.

When I first got my e61 (also AWD) it had an increasingly frequent, but not permanent, shimmyshake- not in the wheel, but the whole car between 50 and, say 65, which only happened on accel. After a bunch of fiddlefucking around thinking it was something in the trans, a trip under the car to remove the front driveshaft to diagnose had me face to face with a torn inner CV boot, all the grease coating that side of the engine, and the axle internals bone dry, on the starboard axle. I drove it without the front driveshaft while waiting for the axle (rockauto, 20k miles ago) to ship, which somehow didn't toss any codes :shrug: , and the shake was gone.

TL;DR: If your car is AWD, have a feeling there's something in the front driveline that can be resolved for the time being either via removing your front driveshaft or flashing xDelete.

E: wait, don't remove the driveshaft for very long- I remember reading something in the xDelete FAQ, saying that the front driveshaft spinning has something to do with the transfer case oil moving around, keeping things lubricated. Of course I can't find that now.

E2: xDelete is fun anyway, so not a complete cash burn.

E3: of course, yours is probably RWD, so all this is moot.

glyph fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It is AWD actually :v: