Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

So I picked this up again after a couple of years, is there an updated list of good/essential add-ons to use on the PC anymore? Everything I still have installed is out of date and most of my searches are from info that is 2+ years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

So I picked this up again after a couple of years, is there an updated list of good/essential add-ons to use on the PC anymore? Everything I still have installed is out of date and most of my searches are from info that is 2+ years old.
What do you want out of addons?
Essential:
ESO has quite a bit of default customizability to the interface, but a lot of people like using UI addons:
-Bandits/AUI/lui extended I switched from AUI to bandits, I like it a lot. Never tried LUI

-Tamriel trade centre
I don't care if you don't trade, the suggested prices are sometimes a bit low sometimes a bit high, depending on the item supply. It still is essential in giving you a quick idea if that random recipe or furnishing plan or strange mat is worth something. Use the website for pricing research or to buy items.

If you play multiple characters:
Votan's Keybinder so that you don't have to redo your keybinds over and over.
Leo's Altholic: if you have more than 2 or 3 characters this gives a lot of nice overview info. It's not updated, but people put up fixes for it on ESOUI
Inventory insight: to see where your stuff is

Incredibly nice to have if you do the thing it helps with:
Harvest Map: If you want to gather mats
Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter if you want to do writs
Writworthy if you do master writs
Essential Housing Tools if you do housing
Combat Metrics: if you care about your parse and how to improve your damage
Code's combat alerts: if you want mech warnings in dungeons and trials
Display leads: for antiquity lead info

Very helpful if you want info:
Urich's skill point finder: to know which skill points and skyshards you have/are missing
Craftstore: to know what you've researched and have left to research also what recipes you know.
Potion Maker: a more convenient way to do alchemy
Harven's Improved Skills window: lets you see what skills morph into and how many points you've spent where

A bunch of these I could not live without, but I really think only TTC and a UI mod are essential. There are probably others for things I don't bother with. I find it best to just search for something if there's something you need/want.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Re: returner

Berke Negri posted:

actually the same since Dark Brotherhood dlc

Thieves guild is the only story dlc to not fall on a q2/q4 cycle (think it fell on a january or q1 some thing)`

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2612-TheQuestingGuide.html

if youre on pc this may help its a drop down guide to run through arcs at release [imo don't bother with cadwells silver and gold]

I haven't played in awhile, but this addon looks great for getting your bearings around all the quests. Dunno if that'll help, but I'll definitely be using it when I get back

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
New patch on PlayStation, like the changes so far lol

and it lets me spend them too.

Double edit - Relogging in fixed it, but maybe I'm actually champion level 180000 :shrug:

Hector Delgado fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 20, 2022

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Hector Delgado posted:

New patch on PlayStation, like the changes so far lol

and it lets me spend them too.

Double edit - Relogging in fixed it, but maybe I'm actually champion level 180000 :shrug:

Stupid Champion bar holding you back from being a living god.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

1glitch0 posted:

Stupid Champion bar holding you back from being a living god.

What a fool the champion bar is. He's a god. How can you restrain a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I started playing with some friends as a wood elf nightblade, but I read up later that nightblade apparently sucks. Is that just dumb internal feuding/high-level stuff, or would I be better served doing something like necromancer?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I started playing with some friends as a wood elf nightblade, but I read up later that nightblade apparently sucks. Is that just dumb internal feuding/high-level stuff, or would I be better served doing something like necromancer?
Don't worry about it. It is a) high level stuff and b) not going to stay that way. Next patch apparently NB are going to shine again (maybe, if you play a specific way and they don't change that one skill back) but for your average player class isn't a big factor in you being good.

The only issue with NB is that their skills seem to mostly be balanced around invis being very powerful in PvP while invis is useless in PvE combat (it's incredibly nice for staying out of combat when solo, though). This means their class skills don't generally stand out the way skills from other classes do. But it's not a big deal, and the power gap is so large in this game that class and race shouldn't really be a concern. Who cares if your class/race combo tops out at 105k dps while another tops out at 112k dps when you're doing 10k dps or 20k dps or even 50k dps.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Seconding that. Everything works at a good enough level in PvE that it’s really play what you want. You might end up not liking the way the class plays, but that’s what alts are for.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Yeah whatever you like the aesthetics of is fine.

Make one of each class and do the mount training on em each day if you have the stomach to do that sort of thing early on.

Game is very alt friendly outside of mounts and some skill lines that are huge pains in the asses to level.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I want to give ESO a try, but getting High Isle + all previous chapters is at least $60, which is a big chunk of change. Do I need to get that or can I buy chapters a la cart as I get to them? Do I need to buy anything to start out?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

I want to give ESO a try, but getting High Isle + all previous chapters is at least $60, which is a big chunk of change. Do I need to get that or can I buy chapters a la cart as I get to them? Do I need to buy anything to start out?

Just get the base game to start with, it also includes the Morrowind chapter and should give you more than enough playtime to decide if you like the game enough to get the rest as well.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I assume you aren't on xbox but if you are it's free on Game Pass.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Count Thrashula posted:

you can sub for $15 a month

also if I'm not mistaken Morrowind is in the free game now

start there, it's loving baller

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Base Game include Morrowind and (unless they changed something) Warden class.

other chapters are Summerset (Jewelry crafting), Elsewyr (Necro class and one char slot), Greymoor (antiquities), Blackwood (companions), High Isle (Card game)
Those are included in High Isle collection. I would not recommend buying them a la carte. However, High Isle will go on sale over the coming year, probably 20-30% off next month, and 50% off in late September, then 66% in Nov/Dec. You could buy the base game now and then if you want more you can buy the High Isle collection on sale in a few months and still pay less than what you'd pay right now total.

If you get ESO+ all of the above except high isle is included. ESO+ also includes a bunch of non-chapter DLC which can only be bought a la carte Thieves Guild/Wrothgar/Dark Brotherhood, Clockwork City, Murkmire, Southern Elsewyr, Markarth, Deadlands. It also includes a bunch of extra dungeon packs, which can also be bought a la carte, or bundled with the DLC that was released around it from CWC onward.

I would definitely recommend just get base game, see if you stick with it, and if you want to buy the rest you can find a good time to buy the rest on sale.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
So I started a character today and made it to level 15 as a Stamplar. I may have put uh... 10 hours into the game today.

I made it to Daggerfall and suddenly there's like 500 quests and I'm super overwhelmed. Should I just prioritize the "main quest" stuff in my journal, and just level up in random other quests until more main quests pop up?

Edit-- thanks for all the advise so far, I've really been loving this so far.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Count Thrashula posted:

So I started a character today and made it to level 15 as a Stamplar. I may have put uh... 10 hours into the game today.

I made it to Daggerfall and suddenly there's like 500 quests and I'm super overwhelmed. Should I just prioritize the "main quest" stuff in my journal, and just level up in random other quests until more main quests pop up?

Do what feels natural to you. If some level of story progression is important just let the game and your curiosity lead you where you want, the only quests to avoid are the prologue quests (they lead to different DLC and will feel like strange dead ends if you're doing the main quest). Do the the fighters/mage guild quests as they mirror your main story progression. Be aware that there are a handful of quests that lead you to instanced content (4 person dungeons and trials), if something feels weirdly difficult, look it up online to make sure it's not one of those.

In general, though, just do what you want, the quests will still be there, you can't do it wrong.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the non-OG areas are definitely superior in every way

imo for real, skip the old world areas and do poo poo like Vvardenfall, Markarth, Elsweyr, Summerset.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Doing northern then southern Elsweyr one after the other is maybe one of the best TES experiences period

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah that sequence fukken rules. Good escalation and pacing across the story.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Count Thrashula posted:

If you care about going in order one way not to be overwhelmed in the major cities is to not let anyone whisk you away to a secondary location out of the zone you're in. Most of that is dlc. If going in order doesn't matter to you then go nuts.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

the non-OG areas are definitely superior in every way

imo for real, skip the old world areas and do poo poo like Vvardenfall, Markarth, Elsweyr, Summerset.

This. Especially Vvardenfall (Morrowind)

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

If you care about going in order one way not to be overwhelmed in the major cities is to not let anyone whisk you away to a secondary location out of the zone you're in. Most of that is dlc. If going in order doesn't matter to you then go nuts.

For alts, part of me wants to do the initial "breadcrumb" quests for the DLC/expacs so I don't have "DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOU?!!!" screamed at me constantly.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

MH Knights posted:

For alts, part of me wants to do the initial "breadcrumb" quests for the DLC/expacs so I don't have "DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOU?!!!" screamed at me constantly.

Oh god yes. Do that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Well all I know is that I was led to Wrothgar and that zone sucks absolute rear end.

I'll probably finish up the zone quest I'm doing in Genumbra and then heard over to the Morrowind zone.

So there's no real level requirements for each area? It just scales with you?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MH Knights posted:

I've been going in order, done Cadwell's Silver, Gold, Craglorn, Thieve's Guild, and halfway through Dark Brotherhood. I am so close to being able to go up to that lady and yell "WHAT!!!??? WHAT DO YOU WANT??????"

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Count Thrashula posted:

So there's no real level requirements for each area? It just scales with you?
Yes, it all scales. There is some slight difficulty change, but nothing meaningful. World bosses and public dungeons are harder in newer content, though, but that's content you'd expect other players to help with.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
When it comes to side quests, only pick them up if you're about to start doing them that instant. 99% of them are extremely self contained and you can safely leave the quest guy standing there with the mark over his head until you're ready to come back and complete it.

Generally it's just the zones main quest line that has you travel around.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

MH Knights posted:

I actually kind of like it, it makes me laugh. There’s a quest in Rimmen that starts with a guy jumping through a window and hitting the ground. My gf never took the quest so every time she goes by, that guy hits the ground. It’s great

Potato Salad posted:

Doing northern then southern Elsweyr one after the other is maybe one of the best TES experiences period

I just did this and loved it. My new strategy is to follow the main quest line and save the side stuff unless it doesn’t take me out of my way. I’m much more interested when the story is fresh and I’m not trying to remember what was going on. Also I’m clicking on everyone for the extra text. Between that and focusing on specific quest lines I’m finding the stories to be much more engaging.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

1glitch0 posted:

I've been going in order, done Cadwell's Silver, Gold, Craglorn, Thieve's Guild, and halfway through Dark Brotherhood. I am so close to being able to go up to that lady and yell "WHAT!!!??? WHAT DO YOU WANT??????"

I'm doing the same thing, halfway thru Silver, but for me it was Bera "Comrade" Moorsmith of the Fighters Gulld. I finished that questline as soon as the game let me. No matter how backwater the village I'd be in, like 2 buildings and a hut size, and what do I hear but loving Bera and her urgent task! :argh:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I've been free of daily writs for a week and a half, and I have to say a) daily writs provide tremendous value if you're trying to make gold or get mats and b) it is so freeing to not have to think "oh gotta do writs"

I'll probably go back to doing them at least semi regularly at some point, but I'm really liking not feeling that self imposed obligation.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dailies in general feel like a boring grind to me, I’m starting to accept that having bad gear and being poor might be worth the freedom

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Snowy posted:

Dailies in general feel like a boring grind to me, I’m starting to accept that having bad gear and being poor might be worth the freedom

Hell yeah, best part of ESO is just doing whatever you want. Gear barely matters, but just a set on a merchant and yolo

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I've been free of daily writs for a week and a half, and I have to say a) daily writs provide tremendous value if you're trying to make gold or get mats and b) it is so freeing to not have to think "oh gotta do writs"

I'll probably go back to doing them at least semi regularly at some point, but I'm really liking not feeling that self imposed obligation.

If you have the Lazy Writ Crafter addon, doing daily writs takes less than a minute per character. Definitely worth it for the gold if you're not THAT lazy.

The rest of the dailies across the game are totally 'do whatever feels good, man' and are there in case you want to specifically do them. Right now I do a couple Undaunteds when I feel like it, and maybe the Fighters/Mage dailies to level my companion skills. But only if I feel like it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

imo it's really fucken easy to have purple gear and one or two sets and like....coast

it's also really easy to farm a set from a dungeon, especially since the change that makes things you haven't collected drop more

to be fair I queue as a tank so there's no waiting

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I own all the chapters up to and including Blackwood, but since I’m trying to do stuff in release order I haven’t unlocked companions yet. Is there a breadcrumb or something to unlock them that I can make a beeline for before continuing to grind through the early game or do I need to progress to a certain point in the Blackwood main quest before I get them?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You can go get each companion immediately, no prerequisites (other than having Blackwood or High Isle respectively). Nothing will be spoiled.

Google the starting quest. You can get a companion in 15-20 minutes tops.

Miri > Bastian imo, having a bow user is nice because she stays 28 meters away from trouble, and Bastian is as charming as a decaying tooth.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 25, 2022

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Pryce posted:

If you have the Lazy Writ Crafter addon, doing daily writs takes less than a minute per character. Definitely worth it for the gold if you're not THAT lazy.
I've been doing 18 characters of writs every day for over a year, yeah each one only takes a minute, but it adds up, plus the login screen. I got it down to 50 minutes for the 18 characters, but some days that plus endeavors was all I was doing. The rewards also add up, of course, but it just became a job. Still recommend them for mid players, once you've leveled up some and start needing gold and mats and have some understanding of the game's economy, it's the most time efficient way to make gold. Just gotta know when to stop, and for me that was probably 6 months ago.

I'm doing more pledges now, and now that I have a tank and a healer it's much less painful even if I occasionally get a weak group.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ho do pledges make you gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Potato Salad posted:

Ho do pledges make you gold?
They don't, but they're fun and get me gear..

I guess you can get gold from the style pages. It's not good value if that's all you're doing pledges for, but it's a nice bonus.