Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Every government official I've heard on CBC radio is telling people that it's okay to wait for the bivalent vaccine, but every healthcare professional or disease researcher they've had on is basically screaming for everyone to get any vaccine as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

McGavin posted:

Every government official I've heard on CBC radio is telling people that it's okay to wait for the bivalent vaccine, but every healthcare professional or disease researcher they've had on is basically screaming for everyone to get any vaccine as soon as possible.

The most frustrating thing imo is that it is a false dichotomy. You can get a booster now and then get the bivalent in 3-5 months (if it is available by then). Nobody in authority has said otherwise.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

^^^ Yeah that

RE: waiting for the bivalent vaccine, is there any reason that people need to wait 6 months between vaccines? I thought the wait period was based on improving immune response and making sure that vulnerable people get their boosters first while vaccine supply was limited, but now people seem to be saying you'll have a bad reaction if you only wait 3 months or whatever. Not sure if I missed hearing that or if this is just anecdotal or what.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Fidelitious posted:

Doesn't this doofus live in NYC? It's not Calgary weather but it's certainly not Miami either and I doubt Calgary is significantly darker than NYC.
Anyway, as long as it's not ridiculously extreme, weather is not anywhere near the top of the list for reasons why people live somewhere or what makes it livable.

Like, guess we better discount all the extremely high quality of life nordic cities right? What a loving dumbass.
Calgary is south of London, so a very large percentage of Northern Europe is darker than Calgary.

And yes, the Prairies get cold in the winter. I feel the readers of the Economist Intelligence Unit can afford a coat.

Tippecanoe posted:

RE: waiting for the bivalent vaccine, is there any reason that people need to wait 6 months between vaccines? I thought the wait period was based on improving immune response and making sure that vulnerable people get their boosters first while vaccine supply was limited, but now people seem to be saying you'll have a bad reaction if you only wait 3 months or whatever. Not sure if I missed hearing that or if this is just anecdotal or what.
I've seen no evidence that you'll have a bad reaction, and there's not much of a theoretical basis for why you would. The logic behind waiting a few months is to get the most benefit from a vaccine; there's no point in getting a vaccine quickly because your antibody titres will still be high. That's it.

I'm getting my second booster as soon as we have a vaccine bottle that's been popped at work, so as not to waste the other doses in it.

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 22, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Tippecanoe posted:

^^^ Yeah that

There has not been good communication so people are inferring based on the spacing of the previous vaccine and boosters.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The healthcare professionals have also been saying that there's no guarantee the bivalent vaccine is coming this fall, and when it does come it's going to be in limited doses that are going to go to old and immunocompromised people first, so it might be a long time before it's available to the general public.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
There’s a general sense on the part of Public Health that it’s better to keep our powder dry in expectation of more asks coming in the fall.

I don’t know if this will work. Some new polling from Angus Reid shows that support for reintroduction of public health measures like masks and vaccine passports is only around 50% and dropping rapidly. This will only get worse, however, because the current wave will crest soon and end on its own with virtually no PHMs in place. Once this happens, there will be no way to credibly ask for PHMs to be reinstated even if you can prove that they would help. If PHMs are politically impossible, they won’t happen.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Also I can't believe I forgot to do this, but since Nate Silver said something stupid about Canada I can bring up the time he said the best sites for N.H.L. expansion included "Kingston-East Central Ontario," Sherbrooke, and "Sudbury-Thunder Bay." The latter, of course, representing an area about the size of Namibia.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

DrBox posted:

There has not been good communication so people are inferring based on the spacing of the previous vaccine and boosters.

It’s part this, but I was actually asked by the pharmacist if it’s been at least 6 months since my last vaccination so it could also be something they’re doing as a best practice.

Regardless, get it as soon as you can. The only thing people do by waiting is take the additional risk that you’ll get reduced efficacy while waiting for something to supposedly show up on time.

What also really bothers me about this whole thing is how governments appear to have just shrugged shoulders and said “well it’s endemic now guess we have to live with it” and WHY? Why the gently caress should we? I don’t want to live with it. I don’t want to get it ever! I reject the idea of living in a world where this thing is normal cause it shouldn’t be.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 22, 2022

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Ngl I would unabashedly stan for the Saskatoon Berries

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Saskatchewan could absolutely pull off a team. It’s not a big market but look at how unreasonably horny they get for a legitimately poo poo-tier pro sport like CFL.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

SUDBURY BLUEBERRY BULLDOGS WHOO

Albino Squirrel posted:

Also I can't believe I forgot to do this, but since Nate Silver said something stupid about Canada I can bring up the time he said the best sites for N.H.L. expansion included "Kingston-East Central Ontario," Sherbrooke, and "Sudbury-Thunder Bay." The latter, of course, representing an area about the size of Namibia.

I'm lolling at the idea that 67% of the population of any >1M population city are "avid" fans of any professional league. The 2010 Olympic Gold medal game supposedly had 80% of Canadian tuning in at some point, but that's a far cry from avid fandom.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

PT6A posted:

Saskatchewan could absolutely pull off a team. It’s not a big market but look at how unreasonably horny they get for a legitimately poo poo-tier pro sport like CFL.

The schedules are wildly different, road tripping to Regina for a Riders game once every couple weeks (and max like 10 times a season even with a deep playoff run) is a lot different than 41 home games on all days of the week.

Still, I'd be interested to see what a Sask proposal would have looked like. afaik Saskatoon has the only NHL-sizedish arena in the province and that's from when they were trying to land the Blues in the 80s.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
With Surrey looking like it will outgrow Vancouver very soon I am kind of surprised that it isn't considered a contender for expansion. I mean it would be a very outside the box kind if place to put a team, especially considering it's proximity to Vancouver but I am sure the population there can support a team.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

eXXon posted:

SUDBURY BLUEBERRY BULLDOGS WHOO

I'm lolling at the idea that 67% of the population of any >1M population city are "avid" fans of any professional league. The 2010 Olympic Gold medal game supposedly had 80% of Canadian tuning in at some point, but that's a far cry from avid fandom.

"Avidity" was measured through Google Trends, specifically the percentage of the population that googled "N.H.L." As an Oilers fan (despite my better judgement), I can pretty confidently say I've never googled "NHL."

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Madkal posted:

With Surrey looking like it will outgrow Vancouver very soon I am kind of surprised that it isn't considered a contender for expansion. I mean it would be a very outside the box kind if place to put a team, especially considering it's proximity to Vancouver but I am sure the population there can support a team.

But then a lot of people in Surrey would have to admit they don't live in Vancouver.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
BC Ferries CEO was just terminated due to the ongoing collapse of the system... which was caused by, chiefly, the lifting of the mask mandate.

I mean gently caress the CEO of BC Ferries etc., but what's next, firing paramedics for long response times?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

The Hamilton Hammers
The Kitchener-Waterloo Kitchen Waters
The Barrie Harries
The London Landers
The Sarnia Sardines
The Oshawa Oddishs
The Windsor Winners
The Thunder Bay Great Days
The Woodstock Stalkers

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Saalkin posted:

The Hamilton Hammers
The Kitchener-Waterloo Kitchen Waters
The Barrie Harries
The London Landers
The Sarnia Sardines
The Oshawa Oddishs
The Windsor Winners
The Thunder Bay Great Days
The Woodstock Stalkers

Not living in Detroit makes everyone in Windsor a winner.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Pleads posted:

The schedules are wildly different, road tripping to Regina for a Riders game once every couple weeks (and max like 10 times a season even with a deep playoff run) is a lot different than 41 home games on all days of the week.

Still, I'd be interested to see what a Sask proposal would have looked like. afaik Saskatoon has the only NHL-sizedish arena in the province and that's from when they were trying to land the Blues in the 80s.

Same. My dad still has a couple Saskatoon Blues hats from when they tried back in the 80s!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Albino Squirrel posted:

"Avidity" was measured through Google Trends, specifically the percentage of the population that googled "N.H.L." As an Oilers fan (despite my better judgement), I can pretty confidently say I've never googled "NHL."

Jokes on them, I google "How much does the NHL suck right now" 80 times a day.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

DrBox posted:

But then a lot of people in Surrey would have to admit they don't live in Vancouver.

I can't find the Like button on this website.

Mods??

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CFL is loving good.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'd expect Québec City to get an NHL team before anyone else (in Canada, some weird unreasonably rich city in the states could always buy one eg Vegas). I'd love for Hali to get one if only because then I won't have to hear about the Bruins from my friends and coworkers anymore

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

DrBox posted:

But then they keep the rioting to their home town when they don't win the Stanley Cup Final.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vintersorg posted:

CFL is loving good.

It's really, really not.

I'd rather watch our abortive attempts to have an association football league.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The 30 second play clock is a godsend. I watch games set up like this because my wife is a fan but holy hell I couldn't even stand it with this in front of me if it was NFL level grabass.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Patrick Brown getting hosed hard.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

EngineerJoe posted:

I hope he salts the earth behind him.

What's the source on that?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

7-0 Bombers baby!!!!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

7-0 Bombers baby!!!!

were they playing the blue jays tonight or something

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Arivia posted:

were they playing the blue jays tonight or something

nah, road game today.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

EngineerJoe posted:

“No, you don’t understand, those tactics are supposed to be used “for” me, not “against” me.”

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheCenturion posted:

“No, you don’t understand, those tactics are supposed to be used “for” me, not “against” me.”

Who the gently caress would vote for these clowns anyway?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

~30% of Ontario's voters?

e: This doesnt seem bad until you realize that 30% makes up like 70% of the people that actually show up to vote.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Stanley Pain posted:

Fellow members of the FYGM party.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

I'd expect Québec City to get an NHL team before anyone else (in Canada, some weird unreasonably rich city in the states could always buy one eg Vegas). I'd love for Hali to get one if only because then I won't have to hear about the Bruins from my friends and coworkers anymore

Pour out a cinquante for the Nordiques :rip:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can someone more online than me please tell me why we're mad about vaccines, digital IDS and the Dutch now?

Close your windows if you're off Yonge; a few dozen terrorists are southbound honking the only tune they know.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 23, 2022

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

Can someone more online than me please tell me why we're mad about vaccines, digital IDS and the Dutch now?

Close your windows if you're off Yonge / a few dozen terrorists are southbound honking the only tune they know.

Tulips set off a lot of peoples allergies and the Dutch just keep sending them to terrorize our eyes and sinuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The Dutch are up there with Italians and Spaniards as the worst Euros but what's even more obnoxious than the Dutch are people who've lived in "the Dam" for a few months and won't shut up about it.

Shumagorath posted:

Close your windows if you're off Yonge / a few dozen terrorists are southbound honking the only tune they know.

Ugh I hope there aren't too many of them at the RATM show tonight. I've heard there were a few at the Thursday show, and you know how these tone-deaf idiots are about the messages in the music.