Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Time to just give up on Control Shaman and put it alongside Shadow Priest as a deck I just cannot get to work.
There was a brief window in wild where ctrl shaman was real with hagatha and nzoth and shudder as another nzoth instead of a misery machine. It will never come back :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Tin Tim posted:

There was a brief window in wild where ctrl shaman was real with hagatha and nzoth and shudder as another nzoth instead of a misery machine. It will never come back :qq:

hagatha shudderwock control shaman in standard was the dumbest fun i've had in this game

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
There's an event on in Arena where every so often in the draft, you get a special pick from a limited number of special noncollectable cards. One of these cards is a 1 mana 2/2 Murloc that shuffles a copy of itself with +1/+1 into your deck.

This card is mediocre going on terrible because shuffling a 1 mana 3/3 that in turn would shuffle another 1 mana 4/4 into your deck is straight up making your deck worse. Despite this, you see this card all the time and it's so revealing about the amount of players using draft aids because the special cards aren't visible on HSReplay stats, so people don't know how to rate them on their own.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Finally, a counter to Bad Luck Albatross.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh, poo poo. Now this is a card:

Steamcleaner, 5/5 *Neutral Rare* Mech, 5 Mana, Destroy ALL cards in both players' decks that didn't start there.

That's pretty much an auto-include in any Renathal deck.

And just like that, they fixed Duels (unless this doesn't work on Mycelium, since it's worded 'shuffle this card into your deck').

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Jeza posted:

There's an event on in Arena where every so often in the draft, you get a special pick from a limited number of special noncollectable cards. One of these cards is a 1 mana 2/2 Murloc that shuffles a copy of itself with +1/+1 into your deck.

This card is mediocre going on terrible because shuffling a 1 mana 3/3 that in turn would shuffle another 1 mana 4/4 into your deck is straight up making your deck worse. Despite this, you see this card all the time and it's so revealing about the amount of players using draft aids because the special cards aren't visible on HSReplay stats, so people don't know how to rate them on their own.

yeah I mean as always with Arena it depends what the card is up against in the selection, and obviously that's a card that scales if you can somehow guarantee that you can get like 4 copies of it in your starting deck because all the copies and the subsequent copies they generate benefit from each +1/+1 but that's a huge edge scenario..

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Prime Gaming dropped a new reward, a free random legendary.

It should be available until August 19th, so if you're not desperate for a different standard legendary you're missing right now, you should claim it after the new expansion is released.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
it feels like the majority of legendaries from the next set are p bad though, too much setup for too little reward

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Cry Havoc posted:

it feels like the majority of legendaries from the next set are p bad though, too much setup for too little reward

you say this but i'm crafting a golden remornia day one

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Packs, packs, packs.

Watching the theorycraft streams (starting tomorrow, July 21st) will give up to 2 packs on Twitch (redeem the first to start the timer on the second), while the live reenactment of "Tale of murder most foul" on friday the 22nd (10 am pt) will give additional pack drops as well (also surprise bundle drops, if you're lucky).

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

Jeza posted:

Agree that the battlecry generally does more harm than good, but I think you're overestimating its effect. Infinite murloc is a little worse than Blazing Battlemage, which is a fine arena card.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
The 4 mana mage minion that conc's when you cast a secret is gonna be insane.

Really do feel that wild secret mage could come back with some of these. Might even be renethal-capable given it has such insane draw.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Now that the whole expansion has been revealed what are peoples thoughts?

I'm not super excited by any of the 'sets' of cards they're adding (Skeletons, Relics, Totems I guess, Rogue's new secrets) but a bunch of the individual cards seem like they could be interesting and pretty strong. The new Druid Mire Keeper is going to be in every single Druid deck for the next two years so... hooray.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I was a bit surprised to see a card with the old Pure Paladin clause after they revealed the Elitist Snob, but I liked that old archetype even if I think at its best it was like T2? I'm looking forward to it again, and I'm going to predict that next year's core rotation will include some of the original Pure cards.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah Pure Paladin might be viable just because of that legendary, it's so busted. Definitely looking forward to the highlights of getting Matron from it(Mage legendary dragon) and killing the opponent with Maki rolls.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

The Countess seems like she'll be quite strong against slower decks but in a faster game I'm not sure you'll ever play a 7-mana do-nothing 7/7

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

predicted launch tier list so I can mock myself later:

S Tier
Aggro DH
Wig/Bless Priest

A Tier
Ramp Druid
Wildseed Hunter
Pure Paladin

B Tier
Imp Warlock
Evolve Shaman
Miracle Rogue

F tier
Skelly Mage
Enrage Warrior

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I figure implock will be strong. Plenty of power spikes and reload. On the other hand, maybe it will be a bit too reliant on getting the location.

Private Eye throws my initial impression of Gravedigger out the window. Don't need the payoff card to be crazy tempo like Stunner when the secrets are Patches. The secrets seem to be better tempo than usual too. Halkias seems like garbage, though.

I was excited for the miracle rogue cards, but that was if I could draw my deck. Will be trying some Kael'thas + Maly stuff for the off chance it works.

Playing totems seems really boring. Almost all in on drawing one legendary. Evolve is probably ok.

Janky shadow/copy priest decks look fun. Can't be bothered to form an opinion on the rest.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The DH relic package looks interesting but I'm wary of it if near minion less Quest Hunter is still a thing. It's very dependent on having enemy minions to kill.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I am working on a new Kingsbane deck and I am not 100% happy with it so here it is please give me feedback and suggestions:

### KB
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (1) Buccaneer
# 2x (1) Deadly Poison
# 2x (1) Gone Fishin'
# 1x (1) Kingsbane
# 1x (1) Paralytic Poison
# 1x (1) Patches the Pirate
# 2x (1) Prize Plunderer
# 2x (1) Secret Passage
# 2x (2) Blade Flurry
# 1x (2) Cavern Shinyfinder
# 2x (2) Eviscerate
# 2x (2) Nitroboost Poison
# 1x (2) Silverleaf Poison
# 2x (2) Swindle
# 1x (3) Raiding Party
# 2x (4) Tinker's Sharpsword Oil
# 2x (5) Cutting Class
#
AAEBAYO6AgaRvALl0QK77wLVjAOp6wOs6wMMiAeoCK8QqssD99QD590D890DgeQDkp8E958Et7ME/dMEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Kingsbane/Miracle why not?

### KB2.0
# Class: Rogue
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (1) Buccaneer
# 2x (1) Deadly Poison
# 1x (1) Doomerang
# 2x (1) Gone Fishin'
# 1x (1) Kingsbane
# 1x (1) Paralytic Poison
# 1x (1) Patches the Pirate
# 2x (1) Prize Plunderer
# 2x (1) Secret Passage
# 1x (2) Blade Flurry
# 1x (2) Cavern Shinyfinder
# 2x (2) Eviscerate
# 1x (2) Nitroboost Poison
# 1x (2) Silverleaf Poison
# 1x (2) Swindle
# 1x (3) Edwin VanCleef
# 1x (3) Raiding Party
# 1x (4) Edwin, Defias Kingpin
# 2x (4) Tinker's Sharpsword Oil
# 2x (5) Cutting Class
#
AAEBAYO6AgyyAqgIkbwCsc4C5dECu+8C1YwD590DgeQDqesDrOsD7YAECYgHrxCqywP31APz3QOSnwT3nwS3swT90wQA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Current Silver Hand for anyone interested:

### 2nd Place
# Class: Paladin
#
# 2x (1) Lost in the Jungle
# 2x (1) Oh My Yogg!
# 2x (1) Righteous Cause
# 2x (2) Air Raid
# 2x (2) Far Watch Post
# 2x (2) Hand of A'dal
# 1x (2) Nat Pagle
# 2x (2) Pursuit of Justice
# 2x (2) Rebuke
# 2x (3) Carnival Barker
# 2x (3) Day at the Faire
# 1x (3) Divine Favor
# 2x (3) Muster for Battle
# 2x (4) Balloon Merchant
# 2x (4) Lightfused Stegodon
# 1x (5) Lothraxion the Redeemed
# 1x (5) Quartermaster
#
AAEBAeq3BASnBfsI7A+H3gMN7Q+4xwLZxwKd7AKMrQOWtgPKwQOC3gOD3gOE3gOi3gP36AO9uAUA
#

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Desert Bus posted:

Current Silver Hand for anyone interested:

### 2nd Place
# Class: Paladin
#
# 2x (1) Lost in the Jungle
# 2x (1) Oh My Yogg!
# 2x (1) Righteous Cause
# 2x (2) Air Raid
# 2x (2) Far Watch Post
# 2x (2) Hand of A'dal
# 1x (2) Nat Pagle
# 2x (2) Pursuit of Justice
# 2x (2) Rebuke
# 2x (3) Carnival Barker
# 2x (3) Day at the Faire
# 1x (3) Divine Favor
# 2x (3) Muster for Battle
# 2x (4) Balloon Merchant
# 2x (4) Lightfused Stegodon
# 1x (5) Lothraxion the Redeemed
# 1x (5) Quartermaster
#
AAEBAeq3BASnBfsI7A+H3gMN7Q+4xwLZxwKd7AKMrQOWtgPKwQOC3gOD3gOE3gOi3gP36AO9uAUA
#

this is the one I’ve been trying to make work

Quest Paladin
Class: Paladin
Format: Wild
1x (1) Avenge
2x (1) Blessed Goods
2x (1) Blessing of Wisdom
2x (1) Crystology
2x (1) Desperate Measures
2x (1) First Day of School
1x (1) Galloping Savior
1x (1) Holy Maki Roll
1x (1) Judgment of Justice
2x (1) Knight of Anointment
2x (1) Lost in the Jungle
2x (1) Oh My Yogg!
2x (1) Peasant
1x (1) Reckoning
1x (1) Repentance
1x (1) Righteous Cause
1x (1) Rise to the Occasion
1x (1) Sphere of Sapience
2x (1) Tour Guide
2x (2) Equality
2x (2) Garrison Commander
2x (3) Day at the Faire
1x (3) Prince Renathal
2x (4) Dun Baldar Bridge
2x (4) Lightfused Stegodon

AAEBAYsWCugBjK0Dj84DyesD2+4DtPYD0PcDyKAE0L0El+8ED90K1RO4xwLZxwLZ/gL5kwObzQOezQOD3gOi3gPM6wP09gOV+QPunwTnuAQA

or perhaps keeping it to 30 cards and maxing out at day at the faire / muster for battle, think that would be slightly more consistent in being able to play the quest reward on turn 5

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Starsfan posted:

let me know how it goes! I think Cheesemonger is a cool card.. the spells it generates can get in the way of your barbaric sorceress plays though, and if they ever get shuffled into your deck Finley style it will tank your Balinda / Deepwater Evokers

I know this from experience of shuffling in the randomly generated second flames off of Rune

Yeah, I immediately realized that would be an issue. I'll give it another go today and see if my record improves (went 2-3 before going back to variations of burgle reno/thal/SI:7 rogue).

Cheesemonger is a goddamn tragedy. It's not at all poorly statted, the ability is random enough to not be reliable, but it's trash because it doesn't have initiative of any kind and doesn't combo with anything else in a broken way. I miss being able to sneak a package of weird stuff into an otherwise straight-to-legend deck and barely notice the difference.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Nathria looks like a big ol' mess. More hand manipulation, more secrets, and another (very welcome) slower keyword (like Corrupt, Dredge..) that will be overshadowed by the power level of everything else in the set. Also an old school Shaman unsupported theme pivot! With that said, here's an unsolicited list of the dumb poo poo I'm looking forward to:

Skydiving Instructor is back, but BIGGER. I don't know if there are enough viable "big stats, bad battlecry" cards to build a package around this in standard, but I plan to find out.

Day 1 craft. Toss it in every deck. Chaos Reigns.

Obnoxious, but slots right into a Burgle deck and adds some flavor to a possibly viable Secret Mage archetype.

Deathrattle Demon Hunter is the only DH deck I've enjoyed at all (RIP Illidari Studies), so I'll give this a whirl. NOTE: DH was a mistake and should be deleted regardless.

HONORABLE MENTION:

Bad card, big nostalgia: It's 2019. "Pandemic" is still just a movie, and you're hoping this Faceless Lackey does/does not poop out a Doomsayer.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Excelzior posted:

predicted launch tier list so I can mock myself later:

S Tier
Aggro DH
Wig/Bless Priest

A Tier
Ramp Druid
Wildseed Hunter
Pure Paladin

B Tier
Imp Warlock
Evolve Shaman
Miracle Rogue

F tier
Skelly Mage
Enrage Warrior

Way too conservative. This is a post-1st nerf tier list.

On launch tier S will be everything that can exploit new Kaelthas, and any aggro fast enough to compete with that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

AnacondaHL posted:

Way too conservative. This is a post-1st nerf tier list.

On launch tier S will be everything that can exploit new Kaelthas, and any aggro fast enough to compete with that.

Not seeing enough minion generation in the new set to make the card work reliably? So going back to mechs maybe. I hope I get the legendary!

Also I assume that Muck Plumber supersedes Kaelthas? Or does it happen before Kaelthas takes effect?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m excited for this new expansion, lots of fun cards to play around with!

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
As with Voyage to Sunken City, I'm mostly pleased with the direction this set is taking and love the theme. I'm nervous about Kael'thas but at least it's minion-based instead of spell-based and requires a mix of cheap and expensive minions in deck (or reliable generation of one or both) to function properly.

Most of my frustrations with the current Standard meta are based on UiS cards, particularly the quests and quest assist cards.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I dont believe in nu kaelthas

old kaelthas was dominant because you could run a bunch of spells that drew you more cards to keep the chain going

Minions on the other hand almost exclusively give you card draw in the form of Deathrattles or End of Turn effects. How are you going to chain it? and if not, what minion is so dominant that it would be worth the deckbuilding of including garbage like Tinyfin just to cheat him out a turn or two earlier?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

like I know brann+kelthuzad is enticing but if you're getting there you've already won the game 95% of the time

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
New Kael'thas (at least in Standard) seems like its only real application is combining Brann with stuff that's normally too expensive to Brann; your Mordresh/Jace/Denathrius/Kel'thuzad type thing. And honestly, that seems like overkill unless a big armor gain deck becomes popular. (Besides, if that was something decks really wanted to do, I think we would be seeing them do it with Mailbox Dancer.) There aren't many minions that add or refresh full mana, and you're going to run into board space issues if you try to build a big miracle turn with a bunch of cheap garbage.

Maybe I'm missing something super-obvious, but I think new Kael'thas is going to be a dud.

I'm looking forward to giving Relic DH a try.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Tier 1 is Token Danny Druid and all of the aggro decks that kill it

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Firebert posted:

Tier 1 is Token Danny Druid and all of the aggro decks that kill it

I'd have to see how that druid deck plays against decks that are serious enough to play Mutanus before saying it's that busted, but I'm still shocked at how good the core token druid build seems to be.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Right, so the idea behind Kaelthas 2.0 is that you
should already have enough gas to power your hand, so Kael's role switches to creating an unstoppable boardstate, or performing an OTK to just win.

Examples:

Kaelthas has the chance to singlehandidly bring back a Charge Warrior deck, as there is great synergy with To the Front, and you can put minions into the deck that are more flexible.

Kaelthas might also elevate various Deathrattle Rogue packages into being busted, giving alternative play should you miss the early Smokescreen highroll.

Druid is the easy example, in both ramp and Celestial forms.

Kaelthas + Brann + X is so ubiquitous that I am assuming it will be in all the above and in Mage and in more. Anyone playing a control hoser deck would be using X as Mutanus for example.

And Shaman already has the Pirhanna stuff, opening options for more fair but flexible use, not to mention some totem scam potential with 0- and 1-mana totems.

Hunter has a shot at incorporating this into the Wildseed or Beast package, making their highrolls a bit more unfair.

All of the above and more would have to flop to make Kaelthas have no impact, and I'm calling that plausible but not probable.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
idk why tinyfin keeps coming up. Like it's funny but you can play a 1 cost and it's still really good. Cheating 10 mana is strong at any point of the game, not just turn 6, but it is especially unfair on turn 6.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

No Wave posted:

idk why tinyfin keeps coming up. Like it's funny but you can play a 1 cost and it's still really good. Cheating 10 mana is strong at any point of the game, not just turn 6, but it is especially unfair on turn 6.

Because it's just shorthand for "cheap minions are usually significantly worse in the late game than cheap spells", and figuring out the exact balance of big payoffs to one drops/one drop producers to make Kael'thas work as mana cheating is going to take more refinement than people usually give it credit for. Laughing at Murloc Tinyfin is just easier than explaining that yes, Mistress of Mixtures is never going to be a card you regret running, but it's going to be a really weak draw after turn four and School Teacher probably won't be reliable enough to be your sole source of one-drops and etcetera.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Yeah I mean in the olden days a combo that was built around having 3 specific legendary minions in your hand (Kael'thas + Brann + X battlecry legendary) would be considered impracticable in a meta that has trended faster and faster, but I guess nowadays with tradeable and dredge and the abundance of cheap card draw it is possible..

The problem with the spell Kael'thas was that there was poo poo like lightning bloom or conjure mana biscuit as well as the spells that drew more cards that enabled massive combo turns, or in the case of lightning boom specifically cheating that poo poo out in the really early game. I don't see that being the case for the minion Kael'thas.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think the Kael’Thas + Brann + Mordresh/Kelthuzad/whatever combo isn’t going to be as ubiquitous as people think. The fact that both pieces of the combo legendary means you need a lot of draw to consistently hit them both, and even more if the battlecry is also a legendary minion. Owl Warlock had a similar 2 legendary card combo and they usually made it through the top 20ish cards of their deck before pulling it off. I think there will definitely be decks that use it as a big finisher but I don’t think it’ll be the week 1 nerf that some people are worried about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Haha, Remornia+Reflecto+Charge is a three card OTK in wild.