Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing dumb about neopets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gaius Marius posted:

There's nothing dumb about neopets

Not even the NFTs?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Neopets is still around?

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
This Izzzyzzz video is like a year old but I thought it was pretty enlightening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gytCVFQ7RYw

The black market stuff in particular I thought was fascinating (in a depressing sort of way lol)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
69,000,000 accounts

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
:nice:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Speaking of internet drama

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1550150664872833030

I wonder if this will finally be the thing that destroys that dumb old website?

Is there a reason why they aren’t ripping the ethernet cables out and taking the whole service offline until they figure out what the problem is and fix it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nuns with Guns posted:

Not even the NFTs?

yea I'm into NFTs

Neopets Fun Times

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Civvie looks at the latest latest postal game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcak4em9CAg

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There were Postal games after 2002? It seemed stale even then, like the last gasp of the 90s.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I AM GRANDO posted:

There were Postal games after 2002? It seemed stale even then, like the last gasp of the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kivtv6wabBk

Noah Gervais did a good video on the series (plus a few related games) a while back.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Neopets is still around?

Like barely, as far as I know. I imagine most of the website doesn't even work at this point since it was all Flash-based.

Ariong posted:

Is there a reason why they aren’t ripping the ethernet cables out and taking the whole service offline until they figure out what the problem is and fix it?

People were joking about the staff all going to San Diego Comic Con (they're doing a promotion there to raise awareness for the company they have handling the NFTs), but based on stuff I've heard in the past, the real reason might very well be that pulling the plug on the website could mean it never comes back online. And I mean in the sense that they had to deactivate the website to migrate it to new servers when JumpStart bought the IP a few years ago, and huge segments of the website broke when it was reactivated. Neopets is like if 50 Radiums all coded different corners of a website 40x bigger than these forums for the past 20+ years.

And 69,000,000 accounts is probably all or almost all of their accounts. Possibly ever made?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAKwOAC1wEs

Warlockcracy takes a look at a ridiculously horny NWN mod

I AM GRANDO posted:

Postal 3 was made by outsourced devs and is absolutely awful
The original studio did Postal 4 which is mostly Postal 2 but with jokes that became stale before each version of the beta was released (Tiger King references ffs)
Postal Brain Damaged is a fun boomer shooter with Postal aesthetics

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Like barely, as far as I know. I imagine most of the website doesn't even work at this point since it was all Flash-based.

People were joking about the staff all going to San Diego Comic Con (they're doing a promotion there to raise awareness for the company they have handling the NFTs), but based on stuff I've heard in the past, the real reason might very well be that pulling the plug on the website could mean it never comes back online. And I mean in the sense that they had to deactivate the website to migrate it to new servers when JumpStart bought the IP a few years ago, and huge segments of the website broke when it was reactivated. Neopets is like if 50 Radiums all coded different corners of a website 40x bigger than these forums for the past 20+ years.

And 69,000,000 accounts is probably all or almost all of their accounts. Possibly ever made?

I see. Well, there's only one word that can possibly describe this terrible situation.

Nice!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/plentyofalcoves/status/1550515568465383429
https://twitter.com/plentyofalcoves/status/1550515991913943040

Looking forward to this, her previous videos were great.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I really wish video essayists put slightly more thought into their background video( is that what B-roll is?) , because it's semi common to have the editing show clips that undermine the current or previous argument. For example the (overall really good) video on Chronicles of Riddick that was posted a few weeks back had a segment where the author praises the game for having more realistic and believable level design, before cutting to a clip showing a fight in a room full of boxes, laid out in the most video game configuration possible. It's not that the argument is even wrong, just that the editing weakens it severely. I'm not asking that every clip matches the voice over perfectly, but spending a minute to make sure you aren't undermining yourself would be good. Or maybe I should just give up and realize that most video essays are actually audio essays instead.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Tbh I wish more essayists used subtitles/captioning, occasionally the auto generated ones will do in a pinch but I find it a lot easier to follow along when it's something the creator has already accounted for. Not only is it great for accessibility purposes but it also feels more ... polished? Professional? Not sure what word I'm looking for here

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zetsubou-san posted:

Civvie looks at the latest latest postal game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcak4em9CAg

Was genuinely shocked at the amount of EFFORT in this spin-off. I've always been utterly baffled by Civvie's affection for Postal as, beyond the super lovely humour and edgelord toughguy posturing from the devs and their self-inserts, they always looked like the jankiest, lowest-effort sandboxes with terrible gamefeel. Floaty and flaccid and unsatisfying unless you really just cannot get enough of indiscriminately killing NPCs.

But here's a Postal with an actual artstyle, direction and half funny jokes! Even the Covid/vaccination enemies got a small snort from me. What a loving development.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 22, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Tbh I wish more essayists used subtitles/captioning, occasionally the auto generated ones will do in a pinch but I find it a lot easier to follow along when it's something the creator has already accounted for. Not only is it great for accessibility purposes but it also feels more ... polished? Professional? Not sure what word I'm looking for here

Does youtube still have the feature were you can just paste your script in and it tries to time it correctly? Because if it does, there really is no excuse not to have decent subs.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I miss annotations. CAD the Annotated Series was a triumph of mankind.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Hel posted:

Does youtube still have the feature were you can just paste your script in and it tries to time it correctly? Because if it does, there really is no excuse not to have decent subs.

If it doesn't have this, it should. This is an incredible idea

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hel posted:

I really wish video essayists put slightly more thought into their background video( is that what B-roll is?) , because it's semi common to have the editing show clips that undermine the current or previous argument. For example the (overall really good) video on Chronicles of Riddick that was posted a few weeks back had a segment where the author praises the game for having more realistic and believable level design, before cutting to a clip showing a fight in a room full of boxes, laid out in the most video game configuration possible. It's not that the argument is even wrong, just that the editing weakens it severely. I'm not asking that every clip matches the voice over perfectly, but spending a minute to make sure you aren't undermining yourself would be good. Or maybe I should just give up and realize that most video essays are actually audio essays instead.

It's always distracting when an essay is say, an hour long, but they clearly only had 30 minutes of B-roll so the same generic gameplay clips play over and over, totally out of context.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

Was genuinely shocked at the amount of EFFORT in this spin-off. I've always been utterly baffled by Civvie's affection for Postal as, beyond the super lovely humour and edgelord toughguy posturing from the devs and their self-inserts, they always looked like the jankiest, lowest-effort sandboxes with terrible gamefeel. Floaty and flaccid and unsatisfying unless you really just cannot get enough of indiscriminately killing NPCs.

But here's a Postal with an actual artstyle, direction and half funny jokes! Even the Covid/vaccination enemies got a small snort from me. What a loving development.

Turns out the secret to making a decent Postal game is to not have Running With Scissors develop it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

repiv posted:

Turns out the secret to making a decent Postal game is to not have Running With Scissors develop it

they tried that with postal 3

it went badly

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I don't watch anything by Vaush, but jesus gently caress, the way he just talks over minority voices and tells her to "check her racism."

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I miss annotations. CAD the Annotated Series was a triumph of mankind.

RIP to Bob Vids' Silent Hill: Homecoming LP that used annotations to create a sort-of Choose Your Own Adventure style things that got utterly wrecked when Youtube removed the feature. I think Neil Cicerega did something similar as well

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why cry over small things like that when the true loss was the complete "Plumbers don't wear ties"

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

edogawa rando posted:

I don't watch anything by Vaush, but jesus gently caress, the way he just talks over minority voices and tells her to "check her racism."

Yeah, I know almost nothing about Vaush and his content but everything I've seen of him just seems so immensely smug and insufferable.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Why cry over small things like that when the true loss was the complete "Plumbers don't wear ties"
don't worry, that got announced at e3 as getting a remaster (not a joke, it was in the Limited Run Games showcase)

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

KingKalamari posted:

Yeah, I know almost nothing about Vaush and his content but everything I've seen of him just seems so immensely smug and insufferable.

By far one of the most telling things he's ever did was the time Brace of the Trueanon podcast told him to go away and get laid in that detached Weird Twitter sort of way, to which Vaush felt the need to desperately brag about and big up his sex life for weeks afterward to his audience.

An absolutely pathetic specimen of a person who's convinced himself that he's won at everything, and thus that gives him supreme authority about anything, ever.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This video is p good. What Vaush twisted what Professor Flowers said was a crime. Libel levels of smear. I have my problems with noncompete but him just ending the call the moment Vaush played into fascist rhetoric about Jewish people and owning banks was a solid move. Kudos to him not being drawn into that poo poo by a moron who doesn't know anything but debate.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Meanwhile I wonder how the hell Vaush is able to hide his dislikes even with the dislike restoring app in place.

edit" No wait apparently something went wrong with the application in general, oh well.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 23, 2022

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just in time for Comic-Con, I managed to finish the second episode of my Epic Wonder Woman Deep Dive for anyone who's interested :buddy:

Much of this is about the wacky Silver Agey love-triangle hijinks of the 60s -- WW invented being a furry long before Batman had the notion -- though the latter part goes into detail about the actual moral panic and Comics Code censorship that necessitated these whimsical, family-friendly stories.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I've been watching long breakdowns of internet subcultures and scams the last couple of days. Is there a good one for Star Citizen? It's something I never paid much attention to and I know it was a thing for a bit.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

BrianWilly posted:

Just in time for Comic-Con, I managed to finish the second episode of my Epic Wonder Woman Deep Dive for anyone who's interested :buddy:

Much of this is about the wacky Silver Agey love-triangle hijinks of the 60s -- WW invented being a furry long before Batman had the notion -- though the latter part goes into detail about the actual moral panic and Comics Code censorship that necessitated these whimsical, family-friendly stories.

I’ll be watching this, thanks!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I've been watching long breakdowns of internet subcultures and scams the last couple of days. Is there a good one for Star Citizen? It's something I never paid much attention to and I know it was a thing for a bit.

Mandaloregaming's video is good but five years out of date. Don't know of any other good ones that are more recent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHUbzzKJXBc

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Bootcha from the Star Citizen thread, and one of the people who was a big-time investor at one point before calling it quits, has a series of videos published:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU3uEBUBIEA

There's also this (and many other videos) from Beet Wagon, another goon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5oEVJtiI6w

Finally, there's Major Tom who I think is also a goon, who demonstrates specifics in this video as well as many others:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwzvz7W08iA

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Terrible Opinions posted:

Well we know who his audience is

I think that's just reddit

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

"incels without hate" sounds like "salad without vegetables"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Maybe they're all people the term was coined for, gay people in an area where there's no one else like them.