Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Though I’m also a Musou player who’s been playing poo poo like Dynasty Warriors 5.

....Wait, are you saying this in a 'veteran' sense or a '5 is strategic' sense or a '5 is bad' sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Bloodly posted:

Though I’m also a Musou player who’s been playing poo poo like Dynasty Warriors 5.

....Wait, are you saying this in a 'veteran' sense or a '5 is strategic' sense or a '5 is bad' sense?

Moreso the former. Im not saying I'm a full on veteran, but Dynasty Warriors 5 was released in 2005 so I’ve been playing Musou games for quite some time.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly "uhhh what am I doing again' is not even something to make fun of. As if you never get into a trance mowing down armors with magic just to lose because it's a defense map and your stronghold got captured.

Right?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
IIRC if you do Caspar and Lindhart's paralogue Count Bergliz has some in-battle dialogue going "Dang son you're kinda kicking rear end, maybe I should reconsider my heir, particularly after your idiot brother lost Fort Merceus."

Also while it's Houses and not Hopes, I really like his support with Bernie. In usual direct fashion he straight up kidnaps her because he figures this is the fastest way to get her out of her room, but he does it so he can show her a beautiful sunset vista he found and thought she might like since she doesn't get out much except for battles. And while Bernie is understandably not happy about the whole kidnapping thing, it does plant the seed that maybe there are things outside that are beautiful rather than frightening. Caspar is a good boy.

I do like the "why call a fortress a maiden???" scene though, if only because Dorothea's VA absolutely nails the delivery of her response.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Allegra Clark is perfect.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Clawtopsy posted:

:emptyquote:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It’s been years since 3 Houses came out and I still can’t believe that she does both Dorothea and Shamir

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alacron posted:

It’s been years since 3 Houses came out and I still can’t believe that she does both Dorothea and Shamir

I am learning this now for the first time and would never have guessed

professional VAs rule

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The only VA I recognized in 3 Houses when it came out was Caspar’s because he was also Kensuke in the new Eva dub, which I still think is hilarious. He just sounds short apparently

edit: it should be noted that literally every VA in these games does a good job which means that the dub director must be a drat all-star because there are so many characters that batting 1.000 feels like a miracle

edit2: the director is also the voice of Jeritza clearly this man is a genius

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 22, 2022

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Ainsley McTree posted:

professional VAs rule

Caspar and Lorenz are also voiced by the same person.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

DC Murderverse posted:

The only VA I recognized in 3 Houses when it came out was Caspar’s because he was also Kensuke in the new Eva dub, which I still think is hilarious. He just sounds short apparently

edit: it should be noted that literally every VA in these games does a good job which means that the dub director must be a drat all-star because there are so many characters that batting 1.000 feels like a miracle

edit2: the director is also the voice of Jeritza clearly this man is a genius

If you're familiar with MMOs, he also voiced Garrosh Hellscream in WoW, which is how I learned of his work. Also he is apparently Dio in Jojo's. Which means this game snags both Dio's since Japanese Seteth is also Dio. Which is a loving riot because he's just doing his Dio voice but he's saying all these nice things and you just wait for him to snap but he never does.

But yeah the dub is outright amazing and even me who is a weeb who almost always plays any game made in Japan in Japanese, I prefer the dub here.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 22, 2022

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Holy poo poo, Claude is darker in Three Hopes than Three Houses.

Literally dissolving the Alliance and reforming it as a federation him as King and conducting schemes behind the backs of everyone. You could easily frame the story as him being a villain if the perspectives were different.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

jimmydalad posted:

Literally dissolving the Alliance and reforming it as a federation him as King and conducting schemes behind the backs of everyone. You could easily frame the story as him being a villain if the perspectives were different.

tbh I'm surprised it's framed as positively as it is. There's not even a nod to "this is temporary for war" with Claude just being like yeah Lorentz is probably going to be the next king have fun and everyone is just joking about we're all turning into mini-claudes how quaint haha

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Claude also straight up stabs you in the back on SB if you don't recruit Byleth (and does beforehand on a more minor scale and gets burned) and is absolutely framed as though he will attempt to assassinate Rhea in the future on AG despite their ostensible alliance.

Claude is hilariously villainous in this game.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

You know, there’s something that can be said about how charismatic Claude is and how it pretty much helps him completely upturn the system of governance to allow him full authority. If I was being charitable, I’d say the lack of blowback is due to how good Claude is at being public facing and him riding off his victories against Almyra and the Empire.

You have Claude and Edelgard being intelligent strategists while Dimitri is either angry boi or unga bunga in comparison.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Clawtopsy posted:

Yes she is.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

jimmydalad posted:

Just gotta wait for the conclusion to the next mission too. Claude is cold and it's great seeing him actually be morally ambiguous for once.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I've seen a lot of people crying online about how OOC Claude is in Three Hopes, which is funny, because to me it feels like he's being the character he was always stated to be now that he isn't shackled and forced to fit into a recycled Silver Snow storyline. Extremely sorry that the fanfictions of Claude being a perfect kindly softhearted bottom didn't line up with the way he is in canon.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

I've seen a lot of people crying online about how OOC Claude is in Three Hopes, which is funny, because to me it feels like he's being the character he was always stated to be now that he isn't shackled and forced to fit into a recycled Silver Snow storyline. Extremely sorry that the fanfictions of Claude being a perfect kindly softhearted bottom didn't line up with the way he is in canon.

I honestly thought the story of Claude and the Golden Deer in Three Houses was an afterthought. You could’ve put anyone else in Claude’s position and it wouldn’t change significantly. Meanwhile, Three Hopes is Claude not being forced into SS story and it’s great.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah Hopes finally lets Claude be the shifty ends-justify-the-means schemer Houses tried to build him up as even though he did nothing there but impotently complain about how vague Seteth was being and that the church kinda sucked. He doesn't give a poo poo about Fodlan's traditions or existing power structures and is willing to do whatever it takes to topple Rhea de-segregate Fodlan from her neighbors, even if it means functionally seizing dictatorial power via political coup in the Alliance, or playing both sides of the Kingdom-Empire war. Honestly I don't even care if he's way OOC from the way he is in Houses, he's way more interesting here so who cares.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Frankly his Hopes personality explains a lot about why he threw in with the Church in Houses: respect for Rhea as a fellow schemer.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah Claude is great now because I was always upset in Houses that Yuri felt like the one who Claude was meant to be. Hopes Claude just told Yuri to hold his beer and it's great.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm glad that all of the house leaders have moral ambiguity now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I haven’t played Claude’s stuff but from what’s being discussed it doesn’t sound like ambiguity? He just sounds like a bad guy

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Claude is fun in three hopes. I think the worst I can say about how he is handled is that no one calls him out on that it is not a good idea to screw over a new ally when they are in the process of paying you juicy reparations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ainsley McTree posted:

professional VAs rule

I discovered that when Nausicaa had a star-studded English dub release (gosh, back in 2005?); most of the celebrities just did their own voice but Mark Hamill can't be recognized unless you know it's him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I haven’t played Claude’s stuff but from what’s being discussed it doesn’t sound like ambiguity? He just sounds like a bad guy

He's the good guy and not even all that morally ambiguous in the end. Not anymoreso than Edie at least.

Honestly, I feel like everyone that's like "Wow Claude's such an rear end in a top hat villain this game. What happened to him???" are from people that have just heard about it and not actually played the game. Like, Claude's got grand designs and does some more scheming but he's portrayed pretty much as positively as in the original game and even his shadier poo poo is clearly stuff that he struggles with and that his pals are helping to curb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He's the good guy and not even all that morally ambiguous in the end. Not anymoreso than Edie at least.

Honestly, I feel like everyone that's like "Wow Claude's such an rear end in a top hat villain this game. What happened to him???" are from people that have just heard about it and not actually played the game. Like, Claude's got grand designs and does some more scheming but he's portrayed pretty much as positively as in the original game and even his shadier poo poo is clearly stuff that he struggles with and that his pals are helping to curb.

Well I don’t particularly care how he’s portrayed because I can just chalk that up to bad writing. I care about what he does. Honestly he would be better if the game just went in on him being bad, having a villainous character that’s not as Cackling as Dimtri and the church isn’t a bad thing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Every house leader is the good guy on their own route. As antagonists they tend to go down a darker path.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I don’t particularly care how he’s portrayed because I can just chalk that up to bad writing. I care about what he does. Honestly he would be better if the game just went in on him being bad, having a villainous character that’s not as Cackling as Dimtri and the church isn’t a bad thing.

You don't know what he does though! You said you haven't played his stuff.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think spoiler bars in the something awful forum thread are really going to give you a complete look on the story or characters of Fire Emblem Three Hopes.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Claude was always like this, it’s just now people can't argue "he was winking when he said he was planning to install himself as supreme ruler so that means he was just joking".

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

The game frames it in a positive light but it’s the power of perspective that you could make small changes in how it’s presented and have Claude look villainous. It’s shades of Edie where they clearly have plans and changes they want to make. They are shrewd enough to put their ideas into action and are willing to make sacrifices if needed.

I’m not yet at the second half of Claude’s route but while there is the air of “hey, this guy is super guarded and suspicious and keeps making plans without telling anyone,” there is also the fact that his strategies and out of the box thinking keep the Alliance from being steamrolled by the Empire. Holst probably would’ve been able to hold back Shahid on his own cause lol lmao Shahid, but it was only the machinations of Claude that let the Alliance even have a chance against Bergliz and Ferdinand.

I feel like the game has done a decent job of having others be suspicious, but ultimately put their trust in Claude because most of the time, his plans end up being successful. Heck, Count Gloucester made the contingency that Claude had to succeed in defending Derdiu or he’d gently caress off to the Empire.

It also helps that Claude, in general, is a nice and cheery guy, even if his smile doesn’t reach his eyes at times. He clearly cares about Leicester and made the Federation because having roundtables every time they needed to make a military move was stupid and a waste of time to the point they were spending most of their time on the back foot.

He’s more cunning, but not evil. He’s interesting and complex.

I write all this and while I’m not as deep in Dimitri lore, I can’t help but be disappointed comparing him to other other two. It’s interesting how much he represents the old guard and the importance of crests and reliance on strength over other things. I just personally find it hard to like him over Edelgard or Claude.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
CASPAR

KNOW YOUR LIMITS.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Claude's actions in Hopes are a little morally ambiguous but he's still fundamentally a good person on his route.

One of the major turning plot points of GW is when Claude seriously takes the first step down the villain road by using Randolph's army, at that point allied with Leicester, as human shields/bait to ensure that his forces are able to wipe out Catherine and the Knights of Seiros with few to no Leicester casualties. Everyone is horrified by this and takes Claude to task about it, and his response is "you know what, you're right, that was an rear end in a top hat move, I'm going to start involving everyone else in my plans and opening up more because I might be getting a little too ends-justify-the-means in my desire to reach my goals."

Another major turning point in GW is a while after the Randolph betrayal, where Claude has Dimitri 100% absolutely dead to rights and has already cracked open Fhirdiad, but then receives a message that the slithers are stirring up serious trouble back in House Ordelia's territory. Instead of taking the opportunity to basically win the whole ball game, Claude drops everything, picks up sticks, and rushes home to protect Leicester because it's his job. Several characters comment about how even they're surprised that Claude would back out on the verge of ultimate victory simply to help a less powerful house like Ordelia.

The "mini-Claudes" line isn't a damning declaration of how Claude has corrupted his friends into being dead-eyed schemers, it's a result of him letting all of his friends and allies in on the planning process and encouraging them to participate, which is basically the most ironclad way to ensure that Leicester isn't doing bastard rear end in a top hat things because all of the Deer are fundamentally good people.

Basically GW is "Claude is now actually a grand planner and schemer, but his ties with his friends and allies anchor him and stop him from viewing people like chess pieces to be sacrificed when necessary".

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Natural 20 posted:

CASPAR

KNOW YOUR LIMITS.

In response to what?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kanos posted:

The "mini-Claudes" line isn't a damning declaration of how Claude has corrupted his friends into being dead-eyed schemers, it's a result of him letting all of his friends and allies in on the planning process and encouraging them to participate, which is basically the most ironclad way to ensure that Leicester isn't doing bastard rear end in a top hat things because all of the Deer are fundamentally good people.

Basically GW is "Claude is now actually a grand planner and schemer, but his ties with his friends and allies anchor him and stop him from viewing people like chess pieces to be sacrificed when necessary".

I realize, and I fully admit that it's a "bring your own biases" thing that's probably coloring my reading of it especially in 2022-- I'm just put off nowadays more than ever by the "talking to people is difficult and slow, we have an emergency and it takes too long to have a consensus, we need One Strong Person to Take Charge and Do What Needs To Be Done" kind of stuff, and even if you take the initial King Claude stuff as a first step down a road that he steps back from post-Randolph, it's not like he actually steps back on it-- the Alliance is still dissolved and isn't coming back any time soon. You can also handwave that as (GW Ending)"well the war's not even half over by the end of the game" but again, Claude doesn't seem to even have the slightest interest in running it back, just throwing another noble into the position if/when he feels like loving off

it just rubbed me the wrong way right off the bat and stuck through to the end

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it is uncool that Claude's plan for change involves dismantling demoncracy and instituting a monarchy with himself as ruler and I also think it is uncool that Edie's plan for change in the continent involves having an empire conquer and subsume neighboring nations. However, I think that ultimately it is good that both routes have these uncool elements because if one of them didn't and it was just the cool guys doing the right thing and creating the change we want to see in the world it would feel hella lame by comparison.

So in the end I think Claude's dismantling of the Alliance is a positive for the story.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I realize, and I fully admit that it's a "bring your own biases" thing that's probably coloring my reading of it especially in 2022-- I'm just put off nowadays more than ever by the "talking to people is difficult and slow, we have an emergency and it takes too long to have a consensus, we need One Strong Person to Take Charge and Do What Needs To Be Done" kind of stuff, and even if you take the initial King Claude stuff as a first step down a road that he steps back from post-Randolph, it's not like he actually steps back on it-- the Alliance is still dissolved and isn't coming back any time soon. You can also handwave that as (GW Ending)"well the war's not even half over by the end of the game" but again, Claude doesn't seem to even have the slightest interest in running it back, just throwing another noble into the position if/when he feels like loving off

it just rubbed me the wrong way right off the bat and stuck through to the end

The point of the spoiled thing you quoted is that Claude is effectively running roundtables again - the members of the noble houses who used to make up the council are all represented in the Deer, and he's also including commoners in this stuff as well.

I'm not really convinced that trading out the Alliance governmental model for the Federation is a loss - at absolute worst it's a lateral move in terms of freedom and prosperity for the people under it. The Alliance government was not an egalitarian democracy, it was an entrenched oligarchy composed of a couple of specific rich and powerful noble families who can and did actively exclude the voices and participation of "lesser" houses in order to protect and safeguard their own influence and power. It's a great system if you're Gloucester or Ordelia or Riegan but not so much if you're a minor border noble or a peasant, and in fact having multiple houses of roughly equivalent power and influence means that it's much harder to hold any of those houses to account when one or more of them is doing poo poo things - Raphael's whole backstory is about his parents dying because of the negligence of Count Gloucester during the Gloucester-Riegan feud.

At the end of the game the Alliance is still the Federation, but the Federation's king is an elected position and non-hereditary so it's still not Fearghus or the Empire. Claude and Lorenz even have a support where they accidentally invent actual popular democracy by talking about how the next king should be chosen by a general vote of the people rather than a noble council(which Lorenz is immediately reflexively opposed to, until he remembers that the people who live in Gloucester love his family, so he suddenly thinks it's a good idea).

Kanos fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
VW has Claude install Byleth as his very own god-King of Fodlan only to go back and become King of Almyra. Claude's original plan was to become supreme leader of Fodlan, and that wasn't going to happen via round table discussions. He's a powerhungry prince who believes that he would make a good king, whether of Almyra or Fodlan or both. He was never a supporter of the Alliance's political structure that limits him, he just had to work within it, and he's fairly often shown to just make decisions without caring for what the actual political direction of the alliance is- see his political games that stop the Alliance just siding with the Empire in CF, or his basically-unilateral disbanding of the Alliance to hand it over to the Kingdom in AM.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 23, 2022