Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Automatic Slim posted:

Lol.

I'm you're right but it's awful that we're at that point.

Oh absolutely. I am not saying they are good or moderate, but they want to fleese the sheep and enrich themselves and jerk off to Cold War bullshit, not cut the sheep’s throat and do unspeakable sex acts to its writhing body for some 80s dickhead conman and insane open nazi poo poo. Both are bad but one doesn’t want to kill everyone, least as a direct action instead of a consequence. Lol

Rigel posted:

It is not really possible to separate the impact of this committee from the impact of Roe v Wade. Something is making the polls shift significantly away from a GOP blowout, and its probably just a little bit of everything.

This. I think gas dropping mixed with all of the above mixed with the chud canidates being awful to anyone outside the chud sphere and the dem candidates being mostly solid to even good. Mix of stuff. my hope is we hold/maybe expand sentate and do better in various state houses/governorships/etc. maybe if miricales hold house but lol.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Kinzinger made a point at the hearing that their job is not prosecution, but pushing laws to prevent this from happening again. The vote on those laws won't take place until after midterms.

If the gop wins the midterms, those laws are doomed and this country falls apart at the next presidential election no matter the outcome.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:toot:

https://twitter.com/johnson_carrie/status/1550553555353878528

Not surprising. And he'll probably appeal, but I'd expect it to go the same way. They don't really have a plausible defense.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Not surprising. And he'll probably appeal, but I'd expect it to go the same way. They don't really have a plausible defense.

So how fast do all the rest of the folks who've decided to ignore the subpoenas start to roll over?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Can we get a temporary forums word filter that replaces the word "yesterday" with...something?

"That word is very hard for me" might work

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Can we get a temporary forums word filter that replaces the word "yesterday" with...something?

All my troubles seemed so far away?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lol at Trump being absolutely apoplectic on his dumb Twitter clone

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Was Bannons strategy to just tough it out in jail until 2024 when Trump gets re-elected and pardons him?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

Was Bannons strategy to just tough it out in jail until 2024 when Trump gets re-elected and pardons him?

Knowing Steve Bannon, he legitimately thought he was going to win and walk away from this with no consequences, because aside from the boat thing that Trump bailed him out of, every other opponent has kind of melted before him impotently and he just steps blithely over their corpse and continues on his way... until one suddenly didn't. To paraphrase the song all the kids are singing these days, the guy got high on his own supply.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Probably posted already but here's Donald trying and failing to say words he doesn't believe and is too stupid to read off a teleprompter

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2022/07/22/president-trump-jan-7-video-outtakes-2022-january-6-hearings-vpx.cnn

Starts at 1 minute in.

God drat, one thing these hearings reminded me of how much I can't loving stand to listen to this man talk about anything whatsoever. He could read Goodnight Moon to a bunch of preschoolers and somehow not only gently caress it up but make it about him.

He invented the moon but nobody ever talks about that. No one even knew about the moon until he read out loud about it. Many people are saying it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

I think he legit thought that he was going to delay a lot longer with challenges based on Trumps assumed executive privilege and my lawyer is my witness shenanigans. He has no respect for the government system so it's not surprising he assumed he'd be able to make it look foolish.

I think he also sincerely though that his endgame was to cure the contempt and just go plead the 5th a bunch.

I really hope that at sentencing he gets something reasonably substantial, like 6 to 8 months on both counts served sequentially, but I expect sentencing guidelines will force the judge to just give him the minimum which will be served concurrently.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Murgos posted:

I think he legit thought that he was going to delay a lot longer with challenges based on Trumps assumed executive privilege and my lawyer is my witness shenanigans. He has no respect for the government system so it's not surprising he assumed he'd be able to make it look foolish.

I think he also sincerely though that his endgame was to cure the contempt and just go plead the 5th a bunch.

I really hope that at sentencing he gets something reasonably substantial, like 6 to 8 months on both counts served sequentially, but I expect sentencing guidelines will force the judge to just give him the minimum which will be served concurrently.

What's the legality of a judge saying "I'll stay the sentence if you testify without pleading the 5th"? Because hell I'll take that

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What's the legality of a judge saying "I'll stay the sentence if you testify without pleading the 5th"? Because hell I'll take that

Not a lawyer, but I don’t think extortion for opting out of the Constitution is gonna fly, no.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Say what you will about Bannon but he's a man of his convictions

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Judge Schnoopy posted:

1) bannon isn't saying poo poo, ever and 2) bannon absolutely should be incarcerated

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Charliegrs posted:

The recommended sentence is about 1 year. (6 months each charge) so he'd likely serve the full sentence.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

How long does that take to go up through multiple levels of appeal?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rigel posted:

The recommended sentence is about 1 year. (6 months each charge) so he'd likely serve the full sentence.

He'll be ROR on appeal, very unlikely Nichols orders him into custody pending.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I think that to the extent even has a "strategy", it's basically just to do illegal poo poo while loving with government and then when he hits the "finding out" out phase of "loving around", he just parlays his prosecution into further proof of the deep state far left Soros funded conspiracy that has it out for red blooded patriot conservatives, hates America and wants to destroy people like him who are are trying to save it want to take him down.

So that's just more proof that he really scares them since he's so onto them.

Facing consequences for his bullshit and his crimes is just further vindication that they really are out to get him, similar to Alex Jones' act. Or Trump's for that matter. A lot of these RW grifters really. Kind of like if someone posted on FB about wanting to assassinate Pelosi because she drank the blood of babies in an underground pizza parlor, instead of looking at that like normal person would and going yeah, you can't threaten to kill someone (especially a high ranking government official) because that's a crime, the takeaway is that the act of being prosecuted for it is just more proof that the Pizza Parlor Adrenochrome Pedophile Factory is, in fact, real.

Bannon SMILED when the verdict was read.

It's...uh...really something. Cyclical, self contained logic with a built in persecution complex and loads of confirmation bias. It's dumb as poo poo and, yeah, I'm sure Bannon is drunkenly thinking he'll ride out the Trump train, earn a pardon and celebrate draped in an American flag or something when Trump wins a second term and locks up Hillary and Hunter - all the while being too stupid to realize that Donald will throw him under the bus the second he becomes a detriment to him.

It's pretty gross.

And it's spreading more than I'm comfortable with in ways that I find very unsettling.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 22, 2022

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
He's still in contempt, right? Like he could be charged again today?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mdemone posted:

He'll be ROR on appeal, very unlikely Nichols orders him into custody pending.

I wouldn't think the appeals for something this simple and straightforward would take very long at all.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rigel posted:

I wouldn't think the appeals for something this simple and straightforward would take very long at all.

I really love how every waking minute I spend at my $17/hr job has to be documented, recorded and accounted for down to things like 10 minute breaks or half hour lunches within 1 or 2 minutes lest I be penalized by accumulating "points" (that are entirely punitive. No points for doing well, no sir) but the loving secret service can just erase their entire existence from a given day on a whim if anyone wants to know what they gently caress they were doing on their phones during an attempted coup of the United States government based on a pile of bullshit and made up lies spread by the proven fascist who orchestrated all of it.

Amazon workers, convenience store clerks, grocery store shelf stockers, receptionists and postman have more oversight and documented accountability than cops whenever they're ten minutes late clocking in after a doctor's appointment, stuck in traffic or getting a flat tire over the one hour 50 minutes total amount of free time they get on an 8 or 10 hour shift in "Right to Work" states.

gently caress all of this.

It's the only consolation I feel from being old. Knowing that I won't live long enough to REALLY experience how much worse all of this is going to get. But that's no consolation for my 11 year old son and it rips my heart in half that I'm mostly powerless to help him; or even explain it to him in a way that might generate a sliver of hope in his young, autistic mind.

Rigel posted:

That can run two ways. The GOP and Trump in particular have appointed a disproportionate absolute ton of CHUDS to courts over the last decade or two.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 22, 2022

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BiggerBoat posted:

Yesterday....
That word is so very hard for me!
Oh I forgot
About tha-at day!

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

What are the chances that Bannon gets a day before a judge on appeal, and again presents no case? I'm making a bet with a friend, and we're arguing over odds and courtroom technicalities

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I really love how every waking minute I spend at my $17/hr job has to be documented, recorded and accounted for down to things like 10 minute breaks or half hour lunches within 1 or 2 minutes lest I be penalized by accumulating "points" (that are entirely punitive. No points for doing well, no sir) but the loving secret service can just erase their entire existence from a given day on a whim if anyone wants to know what they gently caress they were doing on their phones during an attempted coup of the United States government based on a pile of bullshit and made up lies spread by the proven fascist who orchestrated all of it.

This is actually also the reason why “but her emails” was actually a big deal. Powerful people shouldn’t be able to ignore document and communication retention policies and decide themselves what’s important.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

TheDisreputableDog posted:

This is actually also the reason why “but her emails” was actually a big deal. Powerful people shouldn’t be able to ignore document and communication retention policies and decide themselves what’s important.

Except that’s not what happened?

There were rules established at the time for alternate email servers and she followed them. You’ll note that the four years Trump stooges ran the DoJ no one charged her with a crime. Because there wasn’t one.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

parthenocarpy posted:

What are the chances that Bannon gets a day before a judge on appeal, and again presents no case? I'm making a bet with a friend, and we're arguing over odds and courtroom technicalities

That's not how appeals work. Appeals function on whether the judge correctly applied the laws and had rulings that were correct. You don't present evidence in appeals.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Scipiotik posted:

That's not how appeals work. Appeals function on whether the judge correctly applied the laws and had rulings that were correct. You don't present evidence in appeals.

Prosecution did great by keeping their case super simple. Any judge can review the entire case in a day and not drag out the appeal. There's just not much to look at, especially since there was no defense.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

No it was a big deal because Republicans were attempting derail her presidential campaign.

Trump had similarly poor(or worse) document and communication policies and the exact same people had zero problems with it.

Hillary sucks but if you really were concerned about her emails you're in the minority.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Murgos posted:

There were rules established at the time for alternate email servers and she followed them. You’ll note that the four years Trump stooges ran the DoJ no one charged her with a crime. Because there wasn’t one.

Many congress people were guilty of doing the exact same thing, including with documents labelled classified and such.

I could be wrong on this next one but I think some still did it after the rules were established because they were either only for the executive branch and/or were just rules and could safely be ignored for the sake of convenience.

Jaxyon posted:

Hillary sucks but if you really were concerned about her emails you're in the minority.

the poster's issue is that powerful people should not be able to get away with ignoring these rules.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
It's a minor quibble I know, but...

I've had to turn down invitations to join various Orders and such because I could not honestly say I've never conspired to overthrow the US government.

I would like to see the Eagles expell all Jan 6 sympathizers.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1550637093675831301

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
Bannon has 14 days to file a Notice of Appeal and can push that deadline back by filing various post trial motions.

After the Notice is filled, the Court Reporter prepares a formal transcript of the trial, which takes however long at least a month, maybe longer.

The appeal is docketed. Bannon has about a month to file his Brief. Then the government has about a month to file its Brief. Then Bannon has a little less than a month to file a rebuttal. (All deadlines are approximate, depend on circuit rules I’m not going to look up, and can be extended if either side asks)

Then the Court maybe/probably brings both sides in to argue to preen and grandstand.

Then the Court takes its own sweet time to issue an opinion.

The process usually takes about a year, maybe 18 months. A lawyer who really makes the effort can string it out longer.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

vseslav.botkin posted:

Where's a good place with a roundup of the major points from these hearings?

From WAY back but I found this summary today which I think is a good synopsis and more in line with what you or anyone else would probably be looking for in a basic but comprehensive recap.

https://apnews.com/article/Jan-6-hearings-key-moments-b374e48ab5a1a0a597fd5b6ec69048c2

It's also up to date

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Murgos posted:

I’m not speaking strictly about criminality. NARA regulations specify all materials must be managed and maintained by the agency itself, not by the subject. The Secret Service texts are basically an apples-to-apples parallel - powerful people are allowed to self-report “relevant” information, and irreversibly destroy everything else. That’s clearly a dangerous precedent and should piss you off.

To be fair, I’m presuming the Secret Service doesn’t pass classified docs around via text messages, that’s one difference.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Well that’s interesting.

https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status/1550861107656626179?s=21&t=1c6-GuEwn7wxw2XhOXwUng

WSJ had a critical editorial as well.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Huh, honestly the Post turning on him really does give you the feeling of Republican orthodoxy reorienting in a new direction. Too bad they're too craven and selfish to mount any kind of opposition to his 2024 run

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s hard to take any solace in a shift towards putting everything behind a Desantis run

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I’m not speaking strictly about criminality. NARA regulations specify all materials must be managed and maintained by the agency itself, not by the subject. The Secret Service texts are basically an apples-to-apples parallel -

It is not.

“ Jason R. Baron, the former head of litigation at NARA, described the practice as "highly unusual" but not a violation of the law.” Regarding Clinton’s email server.

While being ordered to keep records for an investigation and then intentionally deleting them is actually criminal and is now the subject of a criminal investigation.

It’s not the same thing at all.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I’m not speaking strictly about criminality. NARA regulations specify all materials must be managed and maintained by the agency itself, not by the subject. The Secret Service texts are basically an apples-to-apples parallel - powerful people are allowed to self-report “relevant” information, and irreversibly destroy everything else. That’s clearly a dangerous precedent and should piss you off.

To be fair, I’m presuming the Secret Service doesn’t pass classified docs around via text messages, that’s one difference.

I'm sorry, you don't think communications between literal secret service agents about the job they're doing would contain any classified information?