Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

As someone who immediately stopped playing the base game after the end credits: Am I reading it right that I'd have to play through the whole game again on Chaos mode to access the new content? If so, lol & lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

KonvexKonkav posted:

As someone who immediately stopped playing the base game after the end credits: Am I reading it right that I'd have to play through the whole game again on Chaos mode to access the new content? If so, lol & lmao

No, lmao. If you beat the game then you can start the new content immediately, but it has to be done on Chaos. If you don't have the gear for this, the first mission cannot be failed and it gives you a set of 200 gear.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Odd thought that came to mind, but does Sephiroth have a last name? We have Cloud Strife, Aerith Gainsborough, etc but I don't remember one coming up for Sephiroth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Odd thought that came to mind, but does Sephiroth have a last name? We have Cloud Strife, Aerith Gainsborough, etc but I don't remember one coming up for Sephiroth.

No last name is ever given for Sephiroth. We don't know his dad's last name (or first name, I don't know which one he goes by), and while we do know his mother's, he doesn't exactly know who his own parents are so he wouldn't take either of their surnames anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

not even in the extended material to my knowledge, which makes him unique even among the other super soldier test tube babies

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
his last name is also sephiroth

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Sephiroth doesn't have a last name because his father Hojo doesn't have a last name and neither did Hojo's mother, Rikku.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

sephiroth's last name is hojo
hojo's first name is professor

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The joke is Professor Hojo does indeed have a doctorate.

In loving.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Good stuff! :tipshat: I just did a few missions and then gave up almost immediately. I'll give it another shot this weekend.

Lotus Aura posted:

I am really not looking forward to the Gilgamesh DLC in autumn now. It'll probably just be more of the same. A handful of new levels, a slightly higher gear level cap, a higher mandatory difficulty and more grinding that isn't even incentivized and bothering doesn't even help you anyway. Greg'll be more fun than Bahamut, probably, but the overall content probably won't be too dissimilar.

:same: I hope they change up the structure a bit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ten hours of Jack and Gilgamesh shooting the poo poo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

cock hero flux posted:

sephiroth's last name is hojo
hojo's first name is professor
Hakase Hojo

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Sephi Roth.

Like Selphie, only more test tube baby.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
*in a choir like fashion*

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Sephiroth is a lab experiment, the only reason he doesn't have an impersonal alphanumeric designation instead of a name is that Shinra wanted better marketing for their SOLDIER Program poster boy

Mega64
May 23, 2008

zedprime posted:

*in a choir like fashion*

Checks out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sephiroth Mario

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I find it kinda amusing how they start of Rise of the Zilart

"Oh, bro, you don't remember when the Ascians Jeuno Boys came in after you beat the Shadow Lord and started talking about the Rejoining taking back Vana'diel and summoned the Virtues Warriors of Darkness the Crystal? LOL dude that's crazy, anyway come talk to me in my office"

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

FrostyPox posted:

I find it kinda amusing how they start of Rise of the Zilart

"Oh, bro, you don't remember when the Ascians Jeuno Boys came in after you beat the Shadow Lord and started talking about the Rejoining taking back Vana'diel and summoned the Warriors of Darkness the Crystal? LOL dude that's crazy, anyway come pray return to the Waking Sands talk to me in my office"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Navigating this Jungle outside Kazham is a nightmare :negative:

I will say it's a little jarring how you can (and generally do) have multiple expansion missions going on at once. I just walked into Gilgamesh's office and had a chat with Iroha and Zeid, then walked in again and immediately had a chat with GIlgamesh (who welcomed me to Norg despite me already doing a couple of missions there) and Lion

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I can see why people didn't like FF12 now that I've put in some hours into it.

I like the class and gambit system but now that I have a full roster and everyone has two classes at this point the game just isn't challenging at all. 90% of the time I have the game speed cranked up to make running at monsters and not even turning the speed down for them. Occasionally a boss will make me swap out some gambits or I'll run out of ethers and somebody will die but by the time I notice one of my 3 healers has them rezed.

The very generic seeming story also is just not interesting.

It needed something to keep the combat fresh longer...

It's clearly xX666Xx or xxx6969xxx.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 23, 2022

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Numlock posted:

It's clearly xX666Xx or xxx6969xxx.

This reminds me that FFXII is so old that it has an in-game leet speak joke.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Found a Tonberry in the Jungle, they look fuckin' cool in this game

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm very tired so I might be done for the night, so I will report now:

Hit level 56, did the first two RotZ missions (on accident tbh) and am currently on mission 15 of Chapter 1 of Raphsodies. Honestly, considering how old this game is I'm impressed with the story and cutscenes. I feel like this was probably one of the first MMOs to really have an ongoing story that unfolded as you played. EQ and AC and others certainly had pretty rich background stories and histories, but IIRC there wasn't much of a story that unfolds as you play the game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrostyPox posted:

Navigating this Jungle outside Kazham is a nightmare :negative:
don't forget to buy the in-game map key item

(the maps for Yuhtunga and Yhoator, while not as bad as the map of Attohwa Chasm, are bad enough to qualify as "useless")

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

weirdly, in my years since I've learned that if you just pick a cardinal direction to focus on you will probably eventually maybe get to where you need to go

or going from kazham to yhoator... down the hole then east south east south east south, until you hit the zone line.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mega64 posted:

Checks out.

jesus they hosed up him mumbling sephiroth's name??

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Blockhouse posted:

xeno gias

basically what you have to understand is that prior to, like, ff10 (maybe 8), square's english translators were given scripts out of order, text boxes sorted alphabetically or something, with no helpful context from the creators, and were put in hyper crunch mode to do it all in a couple months.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

wasn't it ff8 where the translators had to tl the whole game using a gameshark?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mister Olympus posted:

xeno gias

basically what you have to understand is that prior to, like, ff10 (maybe 8), square's english translators were given scripts out of order, text boxes sorted alphabetically or something, with no helpful context from the creators, and were put in hyper crunch mode to do it all in a couple months.

oh no I mean I get it, I know the history, I'm just always stunned by how bad FFT's localization really is

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Booky posted:

wasn't it ff8 where the translators had to tl the whole game using a gameshark?

lol yeah

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mister Olympus posted:

xeno gias

FF7 and FFT were done by Sony weren't they? We'll publish your games for you! Translate them too! And boy did they ever

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

This is the same game that translated "Breath" as "Bracelet" (which got a fun reference in the latest Vampire Survivors patch).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mega64 posted:

This is the same game that translated "Breath" as "Bracelet" (which got a fun reference in the latest Vampire Survivors patch).

Yeah, no doubt they had no-context lines with like "Fire" + "Buresu" (which in bracelet's case is abbreviated from Buresuretto) and figured they referred to element-protecting bracelet accessories rather than breath attacks. Incidentally "Bless" is a third loanword with the same pronunciation, so if they genuinely had zero context for the word then we could've also ended up with "Death Bless" or something.

Same with Sephiroth/Sefirosu, Japanese doesn't have a "th" sound so if you don't know the context or person then it's easy to pick the wrong choice.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 23, 2022

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Me: "Wow, Siren takes like no damage at all from anything. What level is she?"

One wiki search later....

Oh. poo poo.

Welp, gonna go do some RotZ missions! Honestly, I should theoretically be saving Rhapsodies for last anyway if I want to do things chronologically

EDIT: That said I'll still do them as soon as I can for the bonuses and Trusts you get

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 23, 2022

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Awwww yeah this mission is deep in Tonberry Temple, pretty sweet

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Just bought Stranger of Paradise for 40 bucks — I hope it’s as dumb as it looks

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

Just bought Stranger of Paradise for 40 bucks — I hope it’s as dumb as it looks

Yes but in a good way.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

That’s all I need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

omg chael crash posted:

That’s all I need