Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I'm going the opposite direction and got Olauncher. Minimal AF as they say. Icons and widgets are for babies who don't have the fine motor skills to click on things yet. It will probably annoy me to death in a day or two but not having any customisation options at all really takes the setup time out of a new launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
This is completely hosed. I have been using Nova since I got my Galaxy S3 in 2012 :(

Any recommendations for a basic launcher that will allow me to squeeze more apps on my screen, remove icon text and remove the dock?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, if you are still on Samsung, GoodLock with Home Up allows you to do two out of three of those things.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

anakha posted:

I'm seeing recommendations for Niagara on other networks.

I switched from Nova to Niagara awhile ago and I love it, but it's a totally different launcher style than Nova. Still I love that it keeps your home screen super neat and clean looking without any janitoring required. It's kind of expensive though.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Inceltown posted:

I'm going the opposite direction and got Olauncher. Minimal AF as they say. Icons and widgets are for babies who don't have the fine motor skills to click on things yet. It will probably annoy me to death in a day or two but not having any customisation options at all really takes the setup time out of a new launcher.

Me likey this. Have been considering going with Niagara forever. Do you know how they compare if you've used em both?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pvt. Parts posted:

Me likey this. Have been considering going with Niagara forever. Do you know how they compare if you've used em both?

No idea. Niagra has ties with the same people who just got Nova so didn't bother with it.

It is super minimal though, you can't even have widgets or icons anywhere so if you need that it might not be for you.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

Nowher posted:

This is completely hosed. I have been using Nova since I got my Galaxy S3 in 2012 :(

Any recommendations for a basic launcher that will allow me to squeeze more apps on my screen, remove icon text and remove the dock?

Hyperion launcher seems like a simple but (at least for me) sufficient replacement, should tick all your boxes.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Trying Microsoft launcher since I use a lot of their stuff already (outlook, onedrive and edge) and works allright.

Niagara looks neat too and I'm a weirdo that used windows phone along with android from 2012 to around 2017 and liked the metro style. I've used Square Home from time to time and I like it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I mostly just use Nova for gestures and the super customizable app drawer. Folders and hiding junk I don't use, mainly.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
The main thing I don't like about the pixel default launcher is the inability to swipe my home screens like a carousel. I only have the search/weather on my main home screen, then my personal calendar and work calendar. I have no idea when I bought nova, but it was like android enclar or some poo poo.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Bump for a new page in case anyone has any ideas.

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm having an intermittent issue using Android Auto with my Pixel 5, in a 2021 Tacoma. Occasionally, when I try to start navigation somewhere via voice (whether I've held the button on the steering wheel or pressed the mic icon on the screen), it listens and responds but doesn't start navigating. Like, "Navigate to xyz" *doink* OK, navigating to xyz. Let's go. And Maps remains at the starting view.

Music commands seem to work when this happens. To get it to navigate I have to unplug the phone, start navigation in Maps on the phone, and plug it back in.

I've tried clearing cache in Maps and Android Auto, anything else I can try?

Edit; one other detail, if I select a previous destination from the search list on the car's display, that still works and begins navigation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All I can say is it's happening to me as well on Android Auto (doesn't seem to matter which phone.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
All I can say is I haven't used Auto regularly in years, but would constantly get random errors that would last for days and then go away after another update.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Yeah, recently I've had it just freeze up when having to reroute. Unplugging my phone then repluggling it fixes it (I don't have wireless AA).

Previously I'd have a seemingly random issue where no music would play and I couldn't even adjust volume with my physical knobs in the car. It seemed to be stuck in the system mute phase that happens when audible directions are given, despite no directions being given. That one hasn't happened in a while, so I guess they fixed it?

I love having AA vs not having it, but sometimes it feels like I'm constantly running a beta version or something.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

deong posted:

The main thing I don't like about the pixel default launcher is the inability to swipe my home screens like a carousel. I only have the search/weather on my main home screen, then my personal calendar and work calendar. I have no idea when I bought nova, but it was like android enclar or some poo poo.

The thing that's been driving me nuts about my pixel for a long time is the little weather indicator Uber the date and month comes and goes seemingly at random. No amount of disabling/reenabling or reinstalling will fix it.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I use Niagara launcher and a background & icons that make it look like win95 start menu. It sucks poo poo but it owns

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I've actually just swapped to KISS Launcher now as the lack of shortcuts was annoying me as I use them a bit. FOSS - something I'm trying to move to more as I de-corporatise my life - so on f-droid + play store and doesn't need an internet connection at all so no one is getting your info. Still mostly a text search rather than scrolling based UI but a nicer middle ground.

It's very snazzy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What's the best way for me to remote assist my sister's phone in a different city?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Launcherwise, is MS launcher still the only one with a decent alphabet-separated app drawer? That's the reason I've always used it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 22, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MikeJF posted:

What's the best way for me to remote assist my sister's phone in a different city?

Probably anydesk.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

endocriminologist posted:

It sucks poo poo but it owns

Mods, requesting this be the new thread title.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Just a heads up for anyone who is thinking of using play store credit from rewards for Google One. They don't take partial payment so if you are $1 short of your yearly membership then they'll charge the whole lot to your account. So basically either pay monthly and have them hit your card when you don't have enough rewards or top up with a gift card or something before they try to charge you.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Launcherwise, is MS launcher still the only one with a decent alphabet-separated app drawer? That's the reason I've always used it.

Lynx can do this

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Are there any other launchers that support folders in the app drawer?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

App drawer should be used exactly the same way the windows start menu gets used

Hit butan to open, first couple of letters on keyboard, click app

The pixel one has an option to open keyboard by default too

If you're actually scrolling to find something you're doing it wrong

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
if you have to type what you want then you have too much garbage on your phone. i have 35 apps in my drawer

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

butt dickus posted:

if you have to type what you want then you have too much garbage on your phone. i have 35 apps in my drawer

Strong 'but I don't even own a TV' energy but ok

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
was just able to remove another one. i would have fewer because i use google voice but it won't let me remove the "phone" and "messages" apps. i am hoping that the home app will remove the need for nest soon

and i do have a tv but i don't connect it to the internet

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I simply use Microsoft start for all my news, browsing and gaming needs

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Inceltown posted:

I've actually just swapped to KISS Launcher now as the lack of shortcuts was annoying me as I use them a bit. FOSS - something I'm trying to move to more as I de-corporatise my life - so on f-droid + play store and doesn't need an internet connection at all so no one is getting your info. Still mostly a text search rather than scrolling based UI but a nicer middle ground.

It's very snazzy.

I gave this a shot. It's definitely a different ux from standard Android. I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with it or not. If you try it spend some time giving apps tags. It dramatically improves their searchability and you can use tags like a folder by pinned a shortcut to that tag to the favorites or enabling certain tags in the "customize tags" menu under "user experience"

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tamba posted:

Are there any other launchers that support folders in the app drawer?

After looking around for a bit, I think I'll give Neo Launcher a try

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Are Firefox and Lightning still the recommendations for alternatives to Chrome? I'm mainly looking for something that's better at blocking ads and redirects. Ideally something that lets you block specific elements and domains like Adblock on desktop.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Are Firefox and Lightning still the recommendations for alternatives to Chrome? I'm mainly looking for something that's better at blocking ads and redirects. Ideally something that lets you block specific elements and domains like Adblock on desktop.

I've been using Firefox mainly for years over Chrome. It's fine and can install adblock addons. NoScript is available if you feel like janitoring all the time.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Samsung Browser as well, it's genuinely one of the best options.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
What's a cool app that costs money? Got expiring credit and don't want to use it for subscriptions. Got like eleven bucks. Thanks!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

SpiderLink posted:

What's a cool app that costs money? Got expiring credit and don't want to use it for subscriptions. Got like eleven bucks. Thanks!

If you're in the USA the NOAA premium weather app is all I use for forecasts, alerts, etc

Momentum Valley (1 and 2) are my favorite mobile puzzle games.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

smoobles posted:

Momentum Valley (1 and 2) are my favorite mobile puzzle games.

Just in case SpiderLink isn't familiar, the name is actually ]Monument Valley. But agreed they are very enjoyable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

disaster pastor posted:

Samsung Browser as well, it's genuinely one of the best options.
Holy poo poo, it really is! I can look up recipes without getting mad.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Holy poo poo, it really is! I can look up recipes without getting mad.

This is pretty much the exact use case I had in mind when I came to the thread today. Recipe sites might be the worst about ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Thank you, hooah and smoobles!