Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
At least one of the survivors of the Buffalo shooting is not just dealing with survivor's guilt, but also RACIAL survivor's guilt (she is white, so not one of the shooter's targets). :smith:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1549694726839963649
:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I was interested until I realized I already have heavier tables we shove behind the door during drills. My shop tables are about 600lbs and only slide at all if you lift one edge while pushing. Sitting flat behind the door, you'd need a handful of the typical muscle-free, bitch baby incels to push the door open.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There I was, just larping with my bros on a nice summer day

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1549731473812602881

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

What gets me is all this talk of "Well, the cops were TOO SCARED to go in!", and it's like, no, they don't look "too scared", they look BORED.

Stole this from Reddit:

Reddit comment posted:

They’re all standing around like me when I’m pretending to work.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
they were SCARED of how powerful they are! they were worried that, if they rushed in, it would create a vortex of hot, patriotic air that would start a fire!
is that what you want? a fire near CHILDREN??
the police did their jobs and protected the children by reducing the number of children potentially exposed to police and waiting until the situation resolved itself.
you're welcome citizens.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
From the trump lol thread.

This argument enrages me to no end. And that an assault rifle/weapon is a common term and every loving person knows what you're talking about. A weapon designed as a main battle rifle for the military.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

InsertPotPun posted:

they were SCARED of how powerful they are! they were worried that, if they rushed in, it would create a vortex of hot, patriotic air that would start a fire!
the police did their jobs and protected the children by reducing the number of children potentially exposed to police and waiting until the situation resolved itself.
you're welcome citizens.

This seems pretty typical of the kind of mental gymnastics cops play.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

InsertPotPun posted:

you're welcome citizens.

this is the best explanation for the cops hesitation i have read so far.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Uvalde school board to vote on firing of Police Chief Pete Arredondo at special meeting

Thank gently caress.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm not going to click that link because i don't want to spoil the illusion that a community exists where educators are a higher authority than police and can simply fire them at will

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

i'm not going to click that link because i don't want to spoil the illusion that a community exists where educators are a higher authority than police and can simply fire them at will

"Saturday's school board meeting will end in a closed session wherein board members will deliberate on the police chief's future and consult legal counsel on the potential ramifications of terminating the officer. On Monday, Harrell stated that Arredondo is a contract employee who could not be fired at will, according to the Associated Press' Jake Bleiberg."

I'm not 100% hopeful.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Read After Burning posted:

What gets me is all this talk of "Well, the cops were TOO SCARED to go in!", and it's like, no, they don't look "too scared", they look BORED.

Stole this from Reddit:

I've seen Home Depot employees that were more engaged than these dickhead. Jesus Christ. Also, I know a guy who was in the Iraq war and he was making fun of all the bullshit cops wear and told me that cops have and wear way more gear to deal with protesters and domestic situations than members of the military wear in active war zones.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

From the trump lol thread.

This argument enrages me to no end. And that an assault rifle/weapon is a common term and every loving person knows what you're talking about. A weapon designed as a main battle rifle for the military.

These dipshits know exactly what is being referred to when someone says "assault weapon". It's just bad faith arguing to cloud the issue and gaslight people. I also think it's funny when gun nuts are like "Well there are other kinds of semi-automatic rifles!". No one ever goes the nest step and say we should get rid of those too. The reason the AR-15 is so popular with mass shooters is that it's easy to use which comes in handy for people who are in experienced with guns.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Gunman kills 3 at Iowa state park; shooter also dead

quote:

Emergency personnel block an entrance to the Maquoketa Caves State Park as investigate a shooting that left several people dead, Friday, July 22, 2022, in Maquoketa, Iowa. The campground was evacuated in the wake of the shooting. (Nikos Frazier/Quad City Times via AP)
1 of 8
Emergency personnel block an entrance to the Maquoketa Caves State Park as investigate a shooting that left several people dead, Friday, July 22, 2022, in Maquoketa, Iowa. The campground was evacuated in the wake of the shooting. (Nikos Frazier/Quad City Times via AP)

MAQUOKETA, Iowa (AP) — Three people were killed in a shooting at a state park in eastern Iowa Friday morning and the suspected gunman is also dead, police said.

Police responded to reports of the shooting at the the Maquoketa Caves State Park Campground before 6:30 a.m., Mike Krapfl, special agent in charge of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, said in a statement.

Krapfl said officers responding to reports of shooting found three people dead at the scene, but he did not specify how they died and has not released their identities.

He said officers searching the campground later found the body of a Nebraska man who had died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Authorities identified him as 23-year-old Anthony Sherwin.
https://apnews.com/article/police-shootings-iowa-13ccc3d47f39642da299278c604fbd8c

::yikes: :911:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
:blastu::murica:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Also, wtf is up with the Iowa State Police cars? Someone just get a rental car and slap a sticker on it?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Also, wtf is up with the Iowa State Police cars? Someone just get a rental car and slap a sticker on it?

I’ll go a step further and ask wtf is up with Iowa State Parks. Like what is it just a big corn maze or something?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I kind of dig the low key markings instead of the gaudy graphics that many of the local Indiana towns spend money to have printed up and installed that cover like 3/4 of the car. There are a few that are so intricate they almost have to be wrapped which is definitely not cheap.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

It looks like all three victims were related, found dead in a tent. I'm seeing rumors that this was a familicide, but so far the official story refutes that:

AP News posted:

Officers found three people fatally shot in a tent on the campground, division assistant director Mitch Mortvedt said.

The three victims were related, Mortvedt said. He did not provide their names or ages, or explain how they were related.

Sherwin came from Nebraska, and investigators don’t believe he had any prior relationship with the victims, Mortvedt said.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

quote:

He said officers searching the campground later found the body of a Nebraska man who had died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Authorities identified him as 23-year-old Anthony Sherwin.

Thank the Lord that a good guy with a gun was there to stop this deranged lunatic from killing more people. The system works :d2a:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I kind of dig the low key markings instead of the gaudy graphics that many of the local Indiana towns spend money to have printed up and installed that cover like 3/4 of the car. There are a few that are so intricate they almost have to be wrapped which is definitely not cheap.
around here they put black lettering on dark dark dark blue cars with low low lights. most likely those symbols just peel off so they can hide.
funny how "if you have nothing to hide..." doesn't work with cops.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

InsertPotPun posted:

funny how "if you have nothing to hide..." doesn't work with cops.

Yep. I think they should be driving around with a big inflatable tube waving guy blasting out of the top of their cars. I don't like the whole "we're just trying to catch you doing anything wrong."

No, make your presence known. You're members of the "community" right? Why are you hiding from us?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

hawaii cops need to have their lights on (not flashing, just sort of vaguely threatening blue) when they're on patrol. excellent behavior to emulate. besides being beneficial to those policed, it also helps the cops out. people see the cops and subsequently don't do traffic violation stuff when the cops are around. the cops don't have an excuse to pull people over so they don't, less work, same pay, everyone wins

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

The Voice of Labor posted:

hawaii cops need to have their lights on (not flashing, just sort of vaguely threatening blue) when they're on patrol. excellent behavior to emulate. besides being beneficial to those policed, it also helps the cops out. people see the cops and subsequently don't do traffic violation stuff when the cops are around. the cops don't have an excuse to pull people over so they don't, less work, same pay, everyone wins
it's what all the rentacops around here do as they cruise around the parking lots because it's smarter and easier to just scare people off.
but then they don't get to intimidate, humiliate, and fine people to make themselves feel big and make money

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

As you can tell from the right side of this photo, most of the budget is earmarked for buffets. And the feeding troughs they keep at the station.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Yep. I think they should be driving around with a big inflatable tube waving guy blasting out of the top of their cars. I don't like the whole "we're just trying to catch you doing anything wrong."

No, make your presence known. You're members of the "community" right? Why are you hiding from us?

Agreed 100%. Another area where we can look to the UK and Europe; their cars and even their vests and hats are covered in reflective "hey I'm a cop" livery.

We tried the 'ghost cars' thing here in Toronto for a while. Dark grey cruisers with reflective vinyl on them that would only light up from a certain angle or something. I think they even tried hiding the light bar inside the cars. It didn't go over well, and I think they took the quarter panels off and just painted them white and added new decals. The cars are still mostly gunmetal grey.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
https://twitter.com/NYPDnews/status/1550554091075559425

They aren't loving around either

https://twitter.com/Roots_Action/status/1550293714676789248

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Man charged with threatening to kill ‘all of the Black people’ at a Tops market in Buffalo

NBC posted:

A Washington state man was arrested for allegedly calling a Buffalo supermarket and threatening to kill Black people there and at a nearby store where a white gunman killed 10 Black people in May, authorities said Friday.

Joey David George, 37, is accused of calling a Tops grocery store on July 19 and asking how many black people were inside. He then asked if he would “make the news if he shot and killed all of the Black people, including all of the women, children, and babies,” according to a federal criminal complaint. George went on to say that he had assault rifles, was a “really good shot” and “could pick off people from the parking lot,” the complaint says.

The suspect also said that if he didn’t see anyone at the store, he would go to the nearby Tops store on Jefferson Avenue, the site of the mass shooting in May, according to the complaint.

The next day, George called back and ranted about a “race war.” “This is what happens in a blue state,” he said, according to the complaint.

The caller tried to mask his phone number by using *67, but the FBI was able to trace the calls to George’s phone, the complaint says.

The calls to the Buffalo Tops stores were the latest in a series of racist threats made by George, the FBI says in the complaint. And last year, he made similar calls to stores and restaurants in Maryland and Connecticut, the complaint says.

George, of Lynnwood, Washington, was arrested Thursday and charged with two counts of interstate threats. His arraignment was scheduled for Friday afternoon.

You deserve to rot in prison, you sick gently caress. :fuckoff:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

that desert eagle looks fresh as hell, i bet this poo poo is way more fun than airsoft

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Real guns would not have been confiscated, I assume?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1550542968482066432?s=20&t=ydsBc-93q0v9P6A8mrGqyA

‘ Merica!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Officer hospitalized in serious condition after inadvertently touching Nickelodeon Gak with ungloved hand. Three more report breathing problems.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Emergency vehicles should be brightly and visibly marked. I like the way a lot of European countries do it. Hi-vis neon colors. It's not about looking cool, it's about standing out, which they should always.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

ReidRansom posted:

Emergency vehicles should be brightly and visibly marked. I like the way a lot of European countries do it. Hi-vis neon colors. It's not about looking cool, it's about standing out, which they should always.

That is absolutely 100% not what these are. I understand bright. I'm talking "1990s-style metal being ripped open from the inside by the local high school mascot"-graphics is fairly common. Or "metal peeled back to reveal thin blue line flag"-graphics.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
The cops around here are black SUVs with dark grey stickers so you can't even tell its a cop from more than 50 feet away.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my county sheriff made a big stink a couple years back about needing to update the decaling on the police vehicles

what that ended up meaning is that they are exactly the same as before, but they added huge "IN GOD WE TRUST" stickers to them

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Meanwhile fire and ambulance units are striped up in reflective "please pay attention and don't hit us" yellow.

Dumbasses still hit them because they're too busy rubernecking to pay attention.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Kirk Vikernes posted:

That is absolutely 100% not what these are. I understand bright. I'm talking "1990s-style metal being ripped open from the inside by the local high school mascot"-graphics is fairly common. Or "metal peeled back to reveal thin blue line flag"-graphics.

you should start a cop car graphix photoshop thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Voice of Labor posted:

you should start a cop car graphix photoshop thread

That would probably be a pretty big :psyduck: thread.