Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is there a way to add a new unlocked iPhone to an existing Fi plan with an eSIM? All the tutorials I see online seem to describe selecting the iPhone option while signing up for a new Fi account, and using the Fi app on my phone currently doesn't show the option for eSIM (even though it's a compatible device). I don't mind just getting a physical SIM but I was hoping to avoid it just for convenience sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

American McGay posted:

Is there a way to add a new unlocked iPhone to an existing Fi plan with an eSIM? All the tutorials I see online seem to describe selecting the iPhone option while signing up for a new Fi account, and using the Fi app on my phone currently doesn't show the option for eSIM (even though it's a compatible device). I don't mind just getting a physical SIM but I was hoping to avoid it just for convenience sake.

I've been using Fi via eSIM on iPhone SE (2020) since it came out. https://fi.sds.modeaondemand.com/en-us/tutorial/app-googlefi-ios-smartphone/4.4/setting-up-your-esim has a tutorial specifically on setting up eSIM.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Wife and I are looking at getting the Simply Unlimited plan, which does not have international data. The Fi data-only SIM is not compatible. If we were to travel internationally (not that often, just on vacation once or twice a year) the best option in this case would be prepaid SIM cards, right?

I have a 4a 5g with a physical SIM card, so if I were to buy a prepaid SIM I'd have to either
a) swap it with my Fi SIM and just use that for my trip or
b) Dual SIM: convert my Fi SIM to an eSIM, and also use a physical prepaid SIM card.

Not sure if there are any other options here.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Edit: Didn’t know about the other levels of data plans. Apparently I’m not on the cheapest one.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Weaponized Autism posted:

Wife and I are looking at getting the Simply Unlimited plan, which does not have international data. The Fi data-only SIM is not compatible. If we were to travel internationally (not that often, just on vacation once or twice a year) the best option in this case would be prepaid SIM cards, right?

I have a 4a 5g with a physical SIM card, so if I were to buy a prepaid SIM I'd have to either
a) swap it with my Fi SIM and just use that for my trip or
b) Dual SIM: convert my Fi SIM to an eSIM, and also use a physical prepaid SIM card.

Not sure if there are any other options here.

I'd imagine if you know when you're going to be international, you could swap to the higher tier unlimited plan for a month then swap back after. I think with unlimited plans you need to put in the request for this change a month ahead of time.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

couldcareless posted:

I'd imagine if you know when you're going to be international, you could swap to the higher tier unlimited plan for a month then swap back after. I think with unlimited plans you need to put in the request for this change a month ahead of time.

Looks like if you want to go from Simply Unlimited to Plus, it's instant, but any other type of plan change you have to wait till the next billing cycle. I think I will go with this approach though, it's just that we have 3 people on the plan and they all get impacted by the plan change. So just for a month I'd have to pay the increased price, even if I'm the only one traveling internationally and making use of the international data plan.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I don't think my current Pixel 3a is going to last much longer, it's started having wonky calling and has dropped/never sent/delayed sent text messages, wamp wamp.

Couldn't make it to the new Pixel drop in what looks to be October, unfortunately. But what I'm wondering is - any goon feelings on the Pixel 6 vs a Samsung S22+?

The S22+ is cheaper through the Fi store and seems to be perfectly fine for what I use my phone for, but I dunno if it turns molten in my pocket if I download the Awful app, or its camera is always on in publically GPS tagged bathrooms, or any other weird phone poo poo. :derp:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Wait, the preorders this month won't ship until October?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

Wait, the preorders this month won't ship until October?

Oh I have no idea about that, there was no preorder option for the phone through Fi's storefront, and my cursory googling about the next Pixel mentioned October :shrug:

Don't take my word for any of that, I was only googling it to see if it had come out and there was a possible price-drop on earlier model phones.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I thought the Pixel 6 was on sale for $500 at the moment to counter Prime Day.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The new 6 drops this month and the 7 in the fall.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Three bills off the Samsung S22 has me sold :toot:

Fingers crossed it will play media without having to have the screen on all the time...

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Animale posted:

I thought the Pixel 6 was on sale for $500 at the moment to counter Prime Day.

It is. Amazon, Best Buy, and the Google Store have the 128GB for $499.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
The Google store has the 6a with the Pixel A buds up for pre-order. They also have up to a $300 trade-in thing going on, so it becomes a cheap(er) phone.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

How the hell did they release a $400+ phone without wireless charging in 2022?

I considered getting rid of my 6 because this one is smaller but got to that an was like lol no.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
welp, I just took the plunge and ordered a 6a. I'm trading in my 3a as well (only a $50 credit, lol). I'm a bit concerned about the battery life (my oneplus 5 from 2017 that I use for work *still* gets better battery life than my 3a), but I always charge at night and I use a fast charger.

I'll post my review when I get it, though idk what there is to review tbh. I'm not a Power User by any means, probably the most taxing apps on my phone are chrome and youtube.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I took my Fi phone out of the USA/Canada/Mexico region for the first time earlier this month and was pleased to see my bill was a tiny bit *less* than last month (and most months) without consciously trying to conserve data/minutes. This is on the pay-per-GB plan, so I'm pretty happy. I'd been eyeing the top-tier unlimited plan for my regular trips to Japan (and have had no opportunity to use it, of course), but it looks like I might not have to switch after all.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Pixel 6A doesn't support wireless charging? Lol no deal!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah I don't think any of the -a phones have had it so far. They lack some of the features of the main phone of that generation which is the flagship. I like my 4a 5G still, though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Wireless charging requires a glass body, which the A versions eschew to hit a cheaper price point.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, until we discover some material that allows wireless charging and is cheap, easy to mass produce with, and widely available, we are probably just out of luck.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

American McGay posted:

Wireless charging requires a glass body, which the A versions eschew to hit a cheaper price point.

Wireless charging requires a nonconductive aperture where the pickup is. Not unlike the glass apertures that are already on these phones for other purposes.

I get that it all adds cost - come on. This isn't a $100 phone.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Plastic doesn't work?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LRADIKAL posted:

Plastic doesn't work?

Plastic absolutely works, considering that's what all of the chargers are made out of/encased in.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Memories of my old Motorola using "ballistic nylon" for the back. Good thing I kept it in a case because that woven texture was impossible to clean. :allears:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The answer is that they could cut the corner so they did, because gently caress you.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

YoutTube music is butt and I somewhat regret the Pixel Pass.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I have a question about signing up for a new plan on a Samsung phone. I'm on vacation in a place with no wifi but decent cell coverage so I'm thinking that signing up for an unlimited plan and letting people tether would work pretty well. I have an s21 which seems to support esim but when I go to sign up they want to ship me a sim and it seems to say the plan won't be active until I have the card. Is there a way to immediately activate a plan via esim?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Going to the UK in September. Will I be able to make calls to UK numbers while in the UK, and if i do will it be considered an international cal or in country?

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
After having nothing but android phones since they came out I'm finally thinking about switching to an iPhone. My pixel 6 has pissed me off that much lol. How much of a pain is it to use an iPhone on Fi?

I have my wife and my sister on our plan so three in total, I'm not interested in switching to another carrier.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Going to the UK in September. Will I be able to make calls to UK numbers while in the UK, and if i do will it be considered an international cal or in country?

Yes. And it's an international call tp whomever is receiving it because you are presenting out-of-country caller ID. It is an international call to google/for billing purposes for the same reason. Their underlying carrier (probably BT) who terminates that call for them is going to charge them the higher rate for an international term call.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Slack Lagoon posted:

You could also try getting a prepaid SIM. Then you'd be using a UK number to make and receive calls.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BrownieVK posted:

After having nothing but android phones since they came out I'm finally thinking about switching to an iPhone. My pixel 6 has pissed me off that much lol. How much of a pain is it to use an iPhone on Fi?

I have my wife and my sister on our plan so three in total, I'm not interested in switching to another carrier.

I constantly switch between my iPhone 13 Pro Max and my Pixel 6 Pro. I feel you on the various small annoyances the Pixel has.. but anyway.

The iPhone works perfectly fine on Fi. You do have to make sure the APN is correct or you won't get MMS properly but other than that, it's fine. You won't get Fi's wifi calling, carrier switching, or 5G though. You'll be locked to using T-Mobile towers only.

Some on Reddit have had issues with MMS breaking when there are iOS updates, but I never had that issue.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

ThermoPhysical posted:

I constantly switch between my iPhone 13 Pro Max and my Pixel 6 Pro. I feel you on the various small annoyances the Pixel has.. but anyway.

The iPhone works perfectly fine on Fi. You do have to make sure the APN is correct or you won't get MMS properly but other than that, it's fine. You won't get Fi's wifi calling, carrier switching, or 5G though. You'll be locked to using T-Mobile towers only.

Some on Reddit have had issues with MMS breaking when there are iOS updates, but I never had that issue.

Thanks for the info, looks like that's not going to work for me I need wifi calling as coverage at my house kinda sucks but as soon as I drive a mile away we have full LTE and 5G. I'm still not decided, I have a MacBook air and an iPad air I love (after never using Apple stuff my whole life) and I thought it would be nice to have a phone that just works with minimal bullshit.
The other thing is (super dumb) is my wife absolutely refuses to even try an iPhone and we finally after years have RCS or whatever android uses to have chat features so if I go to iPhone we won't have that anymore lol.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BrownieVK posted:

Thanks for the info, looks like that's not going to work for me I need wifi calling as coverage at my house kinda sucks but as soon as I drive a mile away we have full LTE and 5G. I'm still not decided, I have a MacBook air and an iPad air I love (after never using Apple stuff my whole life) and I thought it would be nice to have a phone that just works with minimal bullshit.
The other thing is (super dumb) is my wife absolutely refuses to even try an iPhone and we finally after years have RCS or whatever android uses to have chat features so if I go to iPhone we won't have that anymore lol.

I'm not sure why WiFi calling isn't available on iPhone on Fi. It might be something Apple has to do or something on Google's end.

They did bring the Fi VPN to iOS though so I don't think they're hoarding features.

EDIT:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleFi/comments/q8hq68/the_rumors_are_true_5g_and_wifi_calling_on_iphone/

According to this, WiFi calling and 5G are "coming" somehow and someone has WiFi calling working on their iPhone.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 16, 2022

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Pixel 5 question: I'm stuck in Canada (from USA) with a bad phone plan (Google Fi Flexible)

Since my Google Fi is on the eSim, could I go to a Canadian network and get a sim card with data only, for the duration of my trip? Would my Google Fi work concurrently for texts and calls, while the Canadian sim handled data?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

smoobles posted:

Pixel 5 question: I'm stuck in Canada (from USA) with a bad phone plan (Google Fi Flexible)

Since my Google Fi is on the eSim, could I go to a Canadian network and get a sim card with data only, for the duration of my trip? Would my Google Fi work concurrently for texts and calls, while the Canadian sim handled data?

Yes to all of that.

Unfortunately all Canadian wireless carriers are stupidly expensive.

And you can’t get just a data only sim as a prepaid/standalone, because Canadian wireless carriers are stupid (if you do find one, post it, because I’ve been looking for one for a while).

I used Google fi as my primary plan in Canada for years before finally getting a Canadian plan to supplement it (using fongo for texts and calls was unreliable at best) because it was much cheaper.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Google fi support remains the absolute worst and is set up to just repeatedly kick you in the balls.

I managed to break the screen on my Pixel 6 Pro in a freak accident on Monday, but I have the pixelpass which includes accidental damage. They assigned my case to a ubreakifix that doesn't have the parts to fix it. They've been unable to move it to any other store or send a new phone or anything. It's been "escalated", so no one can actually see what's happening. Their social support team has been like "oh yeah, we've given them suggestions for how to fix the issue" and nothing. Just love having a broken phone that they're like 'yeah, you should get that fixed" without being able to get it fixed.

Oh, social support just let me know their escalation team doesn't work weekends. To be honest, I'm not convinced they work during the week either, but at least it's confirmed I'll have another couple of days with a broken phone before they continue to ignore it.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Google Fi support is easily the worst customer support I have ever encountered. Easily worse than any of the typical companies with bad support that you would usually think of, like Comcast. Google Fi goes out of its way to be unhelpful and I really feel for you having to deal with them.
I never had any luck getting them to do a single thing and that includes hours of calls, shaming them on social media, even physically going to places to try to sort it out.
I hope you have better luck than I have with support, I don't suppose the repair place is near you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

It is. I also went to the nearby one that has the parts, but until it's moved to them they can't do anything. I'm contacting Assurant directly because I believe that the insurance company will have better support than google, which is an incredibly sad statement.

Fi support has been decent in the past, but only if it's something that can be solved using a script that an offshore team has been given. The second anything goes off the rails, it's the worlds worst support.