Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zero One posted:

Me on today's final category: Oh dammit. I don’t know anything about Opera.

Me after seeing the clue: Oh I know this! I just saw this episode of Seinfeld today!

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy poo poo that could have been a hilarious ending if they all bet it all and the winner actually lost.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

But Doctor, I am Mayim Bialik!

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I guessed it because it’s the only italian clown I’ve ever heard of, and that’s only because of a joke

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I like calling out potential answers as they reveal the categories and boy was Charlotte's Web a layup for Possessive Lit.!

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Pagliacci is the Italian word for clown not the name of the clown in the opera.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
butt doctor

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Zero One posted:

Me after seeing the clue: Oh I know this! I just saw this episode of Seinfeld today!

"You know, it's so sad. All your knowledge of high culture comes from Seinfeld episodes."

Same

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
In related news: Wheel of Fortune has had the top $100,000 prize won three days in a row this week.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

That final was obscure.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

RoastBeef posted:

That final was obscure.

I thought it was easy. And I'm not from that area or anything like that.

Edit: maybe I learned it from Seinfeld too?

Zero One fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 21, 2022

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I am and have lived in the city and had no idea Broadway left Manhattan let alone went half again north of the Bronx. Insert the xkcd about everyday 10000 people learn some fact &c.&c.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Another native New Yorker who didn't get that. I guessed Palisades Parkway.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I said Van Wyck expressway which I knew was wrong since it’s in Queens and named after a person.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I’m in western Canada and couldn’t even hazard a guess.

Also lol at Ken going “pledged”. Alex would never

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I thought Final was pretty easy; Route 66 and Broadway are the two roads everyone knows, even via cultural osmosis. Maybe Lake Shore Drive, but that's in the Midwest.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Zero One posted:

In related news: Wheel of Fortune has had the top $100,000 prize won three days in a row this week.

Wheel is in reruns. I remember seeing this earlier this year.

The odds were so against three straight days of $100,000 that I thought Wheel had rigged it to get attention. Wheel never pushed for mainstream attention, though, and didn't get it, so I dunno.

Today's final:

I came up with it at the last second. Dutch meant it was Pennsylvania or New York and Sleepy Hollow narrowed it to New York. Being a dumb, uncultured redneck, the only New York roads I could remember were Wall and Broadway. Wall's etymology is as a boundary street, so Broadway it is.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
:eng101: Pennsylvania Dutch are actually German because somebody was too lazy to remember how to spell Deutsch

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
You could have given me a thousand guesses and I would have never said Broadway.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Wheel is in reruns. I remember seeing this earlier this year.

The odds were so against three straight days of $100,000 that I thought Wheel had rigged it to get attention. Wheel never pushed for mainstream attention, though, and didn't get it, so I dunno.

There's no rule that says the bonus wheel has to have an equal distribution of prizes. S&P dictates that the contestants on a particular taping day have the same opportunity - so each taping day will have the same distribution.

The exception is when the $1mm prize in play, and the rules clearly dictate that there will be one of those and that any of the $100k prizes will be removed.

I've observed the car pops up more often when it's supplied by a specific dealership. And $39k is probably the most offered prize.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

1glitch0 posted:

You could have given me a thousand guesses and I would have never said Broadway.

Yeah I grew up in NY and until yesterday had zero knowledge that that street goes anywhere outside of Manhattan. Hell I thought it ended at Columbus Circle, I've never had any reason to go to the upper west side.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

I thought Final was pretty easy; Route 66 and Broadway are the two roads everyone knows, even via cultural osmosis. Maybe Lake Shore Drive, but that's in the Midwest.

Yeah, but if it doesn’t fit your knowledge of that street you’re not going to think of it. Broadway is a downtown NYC street where theatres are, why would I ever think “oh maybe it extends thirty miles out of town to the creepy place?” I have obviously heard of Broadway but would never associate it with Sleepy Hollow, and I’m obviously not alone.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Goober Peas posted:

There's no rule that says the bonus wheel has to have an equal distribution of prizes. S&P dictates that the contestants on a particular taping day have the same opportunity - so each taping day will have the same distribution.

The exception is when the $1mm prize in play, and the rules clearly dictate that there will be one of those and that any of the $100k prizes will be removed.

I've observed the car pops up more often when it's supplied by a specific dealership. And $39k is probably the most offered prize.

What about dogs? Are there rules about dogs playing Wheel of Fortune?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

HookShot posted:

Yeah, but if it doesn’t fit your knowledge of that street you’re not going to think of it. Broadway is a downtown NYC street where theatres are, why would I ever think “oh maybe it extends thirty miles out of town to the creepy place?” I have obviously heard of Broadway but would never associate it with Sleepy Hollow, and I’m obviously not alone.

Until that clue I thought Sleepy Hollow was fictional.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

HookShot posted:

I was trying to think of anything I knew involving the Dutch or Sleepy Hollow or maybe the Amish. Any tidbit of trivia in my brain. tbh I didn't even know Sleepy Hollow was even close to Manhattan.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I've never been to NYC but I was thinking Wall St.; my thought process was that since they brought up "native americans" that a wall used to actually exist on Wall street to defend the colonizers from the indigenous persons (https://www.history.com/topics/us-states/wall-street-timeline). It didn't make sense for it to be 33mi but it seems that it's a surprise for Broadway to be that long.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Darth Brooks posted:

Until that clue I thought Sleepy Hollow was fictional.

I knew it was real, but I had no idea where it actually was aside from a vague "somewhere upstate". Given that, I'm surprised my guess of Palisades was really close; just on the opposite side of the river.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
How can Sleepy Hollow be real if New York isn't real??

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sleepy Hollow is fictional/bullshit. The town in question was North Tarrytown for centuries, but in the 1990s they officially changed the name to Sleepy Hollow in hopes of attracting tourist money.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

There’s a NEW York?! :aaaaa:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CPColin posted:

How can Sleepy Hollow be real if New York isn't real??

Wait until you hear about birds

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
^^^ no

The Mighty Moltres posted:

There’s a NEW York?! :aaaaa:

It was once New Amsterdam, if that helps. Don't ask me why they changed it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

CPColin posted:

^^^ no

I guess they just liked it better that way.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I guess they just liked it better that way.

That's nobody's business but New York's

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

^^^ no

Istanbul was once Constantinople.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

And before that, it was Byzantium!

(I sing this to Mr. Hookshot literally all the time)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Last night I dreamed that I was at a J! audition (in person, and I knew I wasn't eligible to be on) so I'm calling it here: they're going to announce the permanent host today, and that dream was me being on the same wavelength as the people at Sony.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, but if you have a date in Constantinople, she'll be waiting in Istanbul.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Me, casually reading over the Orville thread as Ken reads the answer for Final Jeopardy: You can call me Al

My roommate: No it's not.

Me after Ken reads the answer for a triple stumper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Iron Crowned posted:

Me, casually reading over the Orville thread as Ken reads the answer for Final Jeopardy: You can call me Al

My roommate: No it's not.

Me after Ken reads the answer for a triple stumper:

Considering it's the only solo Paul Simon song I know, I'm feeling quite smug right now.