Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Apparently, Giancarlo Esposito is being "looked at" for the role of Professor X in the MCU X-Men.

Oh gently caress that would be siiiiick

muscles like this! posted:

I guess a big question with MCU mutants is how they're going to handle Magneto.

Chaos mode option: he's a Palestinian apartheid orphan now :kheldragar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know some people have pitched updating his backstory to a more modern genocide but I don't think they'll change up one of the highest profile Jewish comic book characters like that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s less work to just keep casting an older actor and handwave it by saying longevity is part of his mutation.

And if Esposito’s playing Xavier you’ll want someone also in their 60s for him to play off of.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I know some people have pitched updating his backstory to a more modern genocide but I don't think they'll change up one of the highest profile Jewish comic book characters like that.

It mostly makes sense from the standpoint of "The Holocaust was 77 years ago (80+ in MCU time)" and the fact that it would help to highlight that it wasn't the only time someone did a genocide.

Not that I want them to erase the Holocaust of Jewish representation in the MCU, but I don't think the character of Magneto, in a live-action continuity in line with real history, needs to be directly tied to that. Maybe you have Magneto be the child or grandchild of a Holocaust survivor instead of a 100-year-old man that's supposed to be taken as a serious threat.

But I've also suggested in the TV thread the idea of another universe that's similar to the MCU but just behind like 40-50 years, then displaced as part of an incursion that merges their universe with the MCU's.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jamesman posted:

It mostly makes sense from the standpoint of "The Holocaust was 77 years ago (80+ in MCU time)" and the fact that it would help to highlight that it wasn't the only time someone did a genocide.

Not that I want them to erase the Holocaust of Jewish representation in the MCU, but I don't think the character of Magneto, in a live-action continuity in line with real history, needs to be directly tied to that. Maybe you have Magneto be the child or grandchild of a Holocaust survivor instead of a 100-year-old man that's supposed to be taken as a serious threat.

But I've also suggested in the TV thread the idea of another universe that's similar to the MCU but just behind like 40-50 years, then displaced as part of an incursion that merges their universe with the MCU's.

It feels like by this point it's a trade-off of whether you keep "has directly suffered humanity at its worst" or "has ties to the 'humanity at its worst' that people actually acknowledge". I honestly don't know if there's a right answer to that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Considering that Magneto's powers are treated so inconsistently over the years in the comics and having the power of magnetism means he can do anything you could just have a throw away line about how he used his powers to control the iron in his blood to slow down his aging. Does it make sense if you think about it? No. Does it matter that it doesn't make sense? No.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SlimGoodbody posted:

Chaos mode option: he's a Palestinian apartheid orphan now :kheldragar:

Spin a wheel and their is a dozen ethnicities the USA or proxy is currently genociding. Palestinian, Kurds, or whoever we are killing in Africa. All would work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A compromise they could do is have Magneto hang out with a new mutant who slows his aging or makes him young again.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Man, imagine if we lived in a country where Magneto could just have been oppressed by all the open, walkin' around nazis that keep getting easily getting into government and the police force.

Like it'd be in stupendously poor taste to have him be doing what he's doing specifically because of the 2018 Tree of Light shooting. But that shooting surely happened. We don't really need to outsource for anti-semitism.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

All of your takes are better, more thoughtful, and more correct than my statement, I was just intentionally giving the option I thought would cause the most mouth-foaming-outrage discourse cycle. Though I suppose "was a South American child whose family was exterminated via U.S. concentration camps at the border" or "kid who lost everything at a Yemeni wedding the U.S. drone bombed into obliteration" would also crank the hogs to a potentially equal degree upon further consideration.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I mean it's a fictional universe, if they really want they can just say the holocaust was in the 50s or something, especially if they go with some kind of multiverse option

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Disney is a lot of things but I don't think they're stupid enough to go messing around with the fuckin Holocaust

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

It would definitely be interesting to change up his origin, but there’s all kinds of ways that could go wrong in the execution and it’d be extremely controversial no matter what. They’ll probably go with the path of least resistance, which is to keep the Holocaust backstory and just say that his mutation makes him age more slowly

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Barry Convex posted:

It would definitely be interesting to change up his origin, but there’s all kinds of ways that could go wrong in the execution and it’d be extremely controversial no matter what. They’ll probably go with the path of least resistance, which is to keep the Holocaust backstory and just say that his mutation makes him age more slowly

I like the idea of updating his backstory, simply because it reinforces the character of Magneto and his hatred of humanity. The fact that if you wanted to update it, you have so many options to choose from for which genocide he lived through. Like, this poo poo wasn't a one-and-done in the 40's, but a thing that keeps happening (and is happening right now). I think that would be nice because it would make people think about that.

But I don't know how much thinking Marvel wants people to do for their big dumb comic book movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There are other things you could do. Revive him in the future. Actual time travel. Alternate timeline/dimension. Or maybe he doesn't even have to experience it directly, like it could be the focal point for a history of his family being oppressed, abused, having everything taken from it. Or involve Xavier, like some kind of psychic family memory fuckery where he somehow mentally experiences the horrific trauma of a Holocaust ancestor and it radicalizes him.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Y'know, I'm not a "Magneto needs to be a villain" kind of guy, but I'm always baffled at the idea that every single instance of global genocide would profoundly bother him. He's come within a hair's breadth of doing that sort of thing himself, more than once, on top of his undeniable savior complex, and his less-than-morally-complex treatment of any number of people in his charge in the past

i guess what i'm trying to say is Magneto strikes me as less a "WHENNN WILL THEY LEARNNNNN" type and more a "*Snort* saw that coming" type when faced with global tragedies that don't directly affect him, and his affiliated groups. If he was half as empathic as some folks made him sound he'd just be an extremely angsty superhero, instead of a cooler version of Namor; a self-righteous bloodthirsty egomaniac with a heart of gold

And the reason you keep the holocaust origin is because if Magneto hates the US or China or Russia or any country that did not end up paying a prodigious price for it's bullshit, it adds a lot of extra weight to his arguments for killing all homo sapiens, which is supposed to be a bad thing

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I also kind of like the third option, which is "Let's cool it on Magneto for a while." He's been in all the fuckin' X-Men movies, even the ones where he shouldn't have been. He was in the Fox X-Men series so much that their model of him being a radical terrorist that "chooses to be a good guy at the last minute until five minutes into the next movie when he's radicalized again by a new atrocity" was a joke. There's plenty of X-Men v illains we could do for a good long while before having to answer this conundrum. Arcade or the Brood or Madeleine Pryor, Deathbird, whatever. Plenty of evil fish in the sea.

Like just gently caress it, do a Savage Land story with Sauron and Stegron as the villains, who gives a poo poo. I would honestly prefer that to Magneto and Charles sitting across from each other saying "I just can't do it, old friend" again for the thirtieth movie in a row. Everything's multiverse poo poo right now, right? Great, have 'em go to Mojoverse and fight Spiral.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 23, 2022

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

And the reason you keep the holocaust origin is because if Magneto hates ... China

Loling at the idea that Magneto is on an irrational and xenocidal campaign to avenge and protect landlords, rich guys who owned monopolies on vital staple goods, or who basically had slaves.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

OnimaruXLR posted:

killing all homo sapiens, which is supposed to be a bad thing

It's 2022 and we're all just ready to die now.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Loling at the idea that Magneto is on an irrational and xenocidal campaign to avenge and protect landlords, rich guys who owned monopolies on vital staple goods, or who basically had slaves.

I think he means Uighurs.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Not relevant to the thread but I am suspicious of that narrative regardless because the US has a history of making poo poo up/exaggerating events to scapegoat it's own problems or justify its belligerence. The state stopped talking about Uighurs once it had Putin and Ukraine to use as a more plausible cover for inflation/declining standards of living.

But any further discussion is probably more pertinent to DnD or CSPAM.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Fangz posted:

I think he means Uighurs.

Or Koreans.

Or Tibetans.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Not relevant to the thread but I am suspicious of that narrative regardless because the US has a history of making poo poo up/exaggerating events to scapegoat it's own problems or justify its belligerence. The state stopped talking about Uighurs once it had Putin and Ukraine to use as a more plausible cover for inflation/declining standards of living.

But any further discussion is probably more pertinent to DnD or CSPAM.

oh goody, genocide denial in the funnybooks film thread

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Not denying, just saying it is essentially impossible to determine thanks to the way that our international antagonisms and information controls work. The U.S. has a vested interest in creating narratives which demonize their perceived opponents, and has exercised that interest many, many times (WMDs as a dead easy example). China is no angel, basically every state is a purveyor of horrible violence constantly, I just haven't seen any reporting that didn't have The Official American CIA World Report Seal of Approval and I've rarely been proven wrong by taking a cynical view on the politics that the U.S. intelligence and war machine would like to convey.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

It feels like by this point it's a trade-off of whether you keep "has directly suffered humanity at its worst" or "has ties to the 'humanity at its worst' that people actually acknowledge". I honestly don't know if there's a right answer to that.

It's the first one, definitely the first one.

There are a dozen different reasons you can make him a Holocaust survivor and still have him be in his 60s or whatever. It ain't rocket science folks. Of all the disbelief you have to suspend in the superhero genre, this is ridiculously low on the list.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 23, 2022

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Chaos option: Magneto is still a WW2 survivor, but he's an American and he was in the Japanese internment camps.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

JordanKai posted:

Chaos option: Magneto is still a WW2 survivor, but he's an American and he was in the Japanese internment camps.

Lmfao holy poo poo

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Reverse Chaos Doomer option: He's Israeli and his family died in a Palestinian Hamas attack and it's devoid of context.

I don't know, I think I've finally come around on this de-aging idea. Like Magneto was a politically radical old man that Charles saw as a mentor in the 80s and now that he's senile Charles visits him in a home and plays chess with him or whatever, then one day a Mutant with the power to restore youth finds him (secretly sent by shadowy cabal, Hellfire/Sinister/etc) and puts him back in play and because of recent DoDC anti-mutant atrocities he's all "gently caress this, no more Humans".

Of course I'm also down with skipping Magneto for a while and do think it's time to start recognizing that other genocides are valid but we know they probably aren't going to do that poo poo.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 23, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The de-aged him in 6 different ways in the comics, so it isn't that crazy.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

JordanKai posted:

You could just say George Takei. Though he is mostly retired now?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Magneto should be immortal because you know those magnetic immortality rings made by Alex Chiu?

Well Magneto has that naturally going on like 24/7 except times a million

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The de-aged him in 6 different ways in the comics, so it isn't that crazy.

Introduce him, Xavier, and the rest of the gang with Krakoa.

Surprise, mutants are real and immortal, deal with it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If they bring them in from the multiverse they could have them (or at least Magneto) come in from the Future Past timeline and have that be his big origin

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Magneto should be immortal because you know those magnetic immortality rings made by Alex Chiu?

Well Magneto has that naturally going on like 24/7 except times a million

This is literally one of the 6 canonical ways they made him age slower in the comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think Magneto was turned into a baby more than once.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Introduce him, Xavier, and the rest of the gang with Krakoa.

Surprise, mutants are real and immortal, deal with it.

So... a group of immortal beings with godlike powers have been living in secrecy until a threat arises that forces them to act?

Will Harry Styles show up mid-credits or post-credits?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Reverse Chaos Doomer option: He's Israeli and his family died in a Palestinian Hamas attack and it's devoid of context.

only if hes like some lovely techbro as well. he's like one of the worlds leading weapons manufacturers who got bought out by Stark Industries blah blah this is just IM2 but with Xmen characters im thinking here

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 23, 2022

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

Not denying, just saying it is essentially impossible to determine thanks to the way that our international antagonisms and information controls work. The U.S. has a vested interest in creating narratives which demonize their perceived opponents, and has exercised that interest many, many times (WMDs as a dead easy example). China is no angel, basically every state is a purveyor of horrible violence constantly, I just haven't seen any reporting that didn't have The Official American CIA World Report Seal of Approval and I've rarely been proven wrong by taking a cynical view on the politics that the U.S. intelligence and war machine would like to convey.

i often wonder what horrific Cold War poo poo like Operation Gladio wouldve been like with mystique ngl :v:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I still miss original Groot. I didn’t find baby Groot irresistible and teen Groot is just kinda annoying to me. He kinda turned from an actual personality into just a quick joke character. I hope these minis are a little more than that but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
make alligator Loki or Jeff the landshark minis instead imo