Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i logged back on to check it out and yeah some of my lower level characters were gone. i know this specifically because i had remade my main blaster from live as soon as homecoming got up and running and he wasn't in my character list anymore. nbd i just remade him again because i hadn't played him much anyway but there is definitely some kind of culling mechanism for inactive account characters even if they aren't advertising it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think there may have been a cull policy in place when it first opened to the public, that they've since turned off, and are now putting back on with a warning?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I have loads of level 1s I never logged into after creating them over 1,000 days old and they're all still there :shrug:

If you want to get :tinfoil: one of my old SGmates from live is on the dev team so it's possible my account is flagged to not free up names

Then again he couldn't do anything when my character "The Hateful Oppressive Republican" got name-changed so this is almost certainly not the case.

I just wanted to bring up my how they namechangd my favorite villain character :(

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 23, 2022

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Glazius posted:

I think there may have been a cull policy in place when it first opened to the public, that they've since turned off, and are now putting back on with a warning?

They posted the outline for one like a year after release, but it was never implemented. Even then it's for freeing up character names specifically, you'd just the name generic'd like how a GM can manually do it

If your character's gone mysteriously you should probably put in a support ticket because there's no system in place to do that

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I have a couple of level 1 characters I haven't logged into for over a year but I didn't start on Homecoming right when they went public, so yeah maybe that has something to do with it

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Tbqh a number of times I've heard someone claim their character was deleted it turned out to be something dumb such as:

- They deleted it, but forgot.
- They moved it to a different server, but forgot and didn't check.
- Someone else straight-up had access to their account somehow and was able to freely gently caress around and delete characters.

It's not totally outside the realm of possibility for characters to actually get nuked out of nowhere, but in the vanishingly rare cases I have heard of it's weird edge case server fuckery like having the bad luck to create a character right in the middle of a server meltdown that then gets corrected with a full roll-back or something.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Relentless posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a time limit on level 1 characters just to free up names from people making dozens of characters and then logging off and never playing again

This was in the mid to late 20s at least.

John Murdoch posted:

Tbqh a number of times I've heard someone claim their character was deleted it turned out to be something dumb such as:

- They deleted it, but forgot.
- They moved it to a different server, but forgot and didn't check.
- Someone else straight-up had access to their account somehow and was able to freely gently caress around and delete characters.

It's not totally outside the realm of possibility for characters to actually get nuked out of nowhere, but in the vanishingly rare cases I have heard of it's weird edge case server fuckery like having the bad luck to create a character right in the middle of a server meltdown that then gets corrected with a full roll-back or something.

Waaaaait, goon server wasn't always excelsior when HC went public. I bet that's it!

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 23, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah a lot of us were on Indomitable earlier.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

and I lost some of my best names in the move! :mad:

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.

Soonmot posted:

okay they absolutely are deleting characters because Peter Tape my water/pain corrupter was gone when I went to look for him today that's a gimmick that could not have existed pre-hc, so I'm not misremembering.

Besides the point though, I'm having a blast playing again, global is @soonmot

I remember playing with you on retail!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Whenever I want to get back into this game, I just hop on my Bots/Time MM and have an absolute blast.

I am so glad I can play this game again.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
bots/time is so loving good. Too bad the game died before they could touch up other sets to bring them more in line with time

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Reciprocator posted:

I remember playing with you on retail!

And just like retail, I still haven't gotten badger badger to 50

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Robo Reagan posted:

bots/time is so loving good. Too bad the game died before they could touch up other sets to bring them more in line with time

On the one hand, they clearly have been making strides towards cleaning up sets, but on other hand I won't be satisfied until Psi Melee is actually finished.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am kind of hoping some of the older sets get touch-ups as well, it's a thing that probably would have happened in live had the game not been shut down, since they'd already done a few sets where they went and tweaked animation times and other elements that were just poorly thought out in their initial version (like flares' old animation that was almost as long as the recharge time on the power). I've got a rad/poison corr that I really like the concept of but rad blast is just such a weird uncomfortable set to actually play. It's very clear how it was designed as a Defender secondary and not really adjusted when it was ported to ATs that would be doing more blasting.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Un-nerf Regen!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Coward posted:

Un-nerf Regen!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Coward posted:

Nerf Regen!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Scrap Regen and put the best parts in to Willpower.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Inzombiac posted:

Scrap Regen and put the best parts in to Willpower.

Willpower and Bio Armor already pretty much carved up those parts between them, like how electric and kinetic carved up energy melee.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
In my ongoing quest to take something with each powerset to 50, it's time for a Storm defender. At first glance it seems underwhelming compared to some other sets in the Homecoming meta, but there's the goodies like Steamy Mist and Freezing Rain. How do Tornado and Lightning Storm work in practice and is the Mag 2 Stun Thunder Clap as meh as it looks?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fearless_Decoy posted:

In my ongoing quest to take something with each powerset to 50, it's time for a Storm defender. At first glance it seems underwhelming compared to some other sets in the Homecoming meta, but there's the goodies like Steamy Mist and Freezing Rain. How do Tornado and Lightning Storm work in practice and is the Mag 2 Stun Thunder Clap as meh as it looks?

all i can say from outside observation of the powerset is, do not be surprised when you run into some high-strung tank or scrapper who throws a fit about how you're doing knockback wrong (all ways of managing knockback are wrong to somebody so you won't be able to please everyone)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Jazerus posted:

all i can say from outside observation of the powerset is, do not be surprised when you run into some high-strung tank or scrapper who throws a fit about how you're doing knockback wrong (all ways of managing knockback are wrong to somebody so you won't be able to please everyone)

I once made a Storm/Grav Controller on Live explicitly for the knockback shenanigans. Sadly, I never got out of the mid-20s with it.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Fearless_Decoy posted:

It's been a few years, but Storm was my first 50. Basically, ignore the hard controls. It's all about soft controls and knockback, plus there's some really neat tricks you can do with IO procs.

- Freezing Rain should be up 100% of the time, multiple instances if possible. It's one of the strongest controls in the game. Knockdown, slow, debuffs, whole thing's great.
- Hurricane is actually not a knockback tool. It's a massive auto-hitting accuracy debuff zone. The trick is that there's a bit of a distance around the edge where the debuff and the repel are in effect but not the knockback - I got a ton of use out of hovering circles around the outside of groups, just barely touching them with the debuff and keeping them corralled.
- Tornado is extremely powerful but unpredictable. It's a great 'oh gently caress' button when things go sideways, but it's also amazing against AVs and hard targets that don't get knocked back. It's pretty good auto-hit damage, stacks statuses like crazy, and after a bit will actually start to inflict knockdown even on EB/AVs.
- Lightning Storm is good but not great in damage terms. Well, the raw damage is nice but you can't pick the targets so it isn't really reliable that way. It's fire-and-forget bonus damage. Little known bit is that the lightning strikes are actually a very small AoE, but they take Ranged Damage sets. Which means you can slap a Devastation IO in there and have it be an auto-hitting, self-targeting area Hold power.
- Gale is actually one of your best powers. Slap the knockback-to-knockdown IO in there, and you've got a massive knockdown cone that's up every 4-8 seconds. It can lock down entire spawns with ease.
- Do not underestimate O2's utility. It's got +perception, +res (disorient), +res (sleep) and +res (end drain). It negates a ton of end game problems, particularly when dealing with Malta or Knives.
- Thunderclap is basically useless, yeah.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

Tempest_56 posted:

It's been a few years, but Storm was my first 50. Basically, ignore the hard controls. It's all about soft controls and knockback, plus there's some really neat tricks you can do with IO procs.

- Freezing Rain should be up 100% of the time, multiple instances if possible. It's one of the strongest controls in the game. Knockdown, slow, debuffs, whole thing's great.
- Hurricane is actually not a knockback tool. It's a massive auto-hitting accuracy debuff zone. The trick is that there's a bit of a distance around the edge where the debuff and the repel are in effect but not the knockback - I got a ton of use out of hovering circles around the outside of groups, just barely touching them with the debuff and keeping them corralled.
- Tornado is extremely powerful but unpredictable. It's a great 'oh gently caress' button when things go sideways, but it's also amazing against AVs and hard targets that don't get knocked back. It's pretty good auto-hit damage, stacks statuses like crazy, and after a bit will actually start to inflict knockdown even on EB/AVs.
- Lightning Storm is good but not great in damage terms. Well, the raw damage is nice but you can't pick the targets so it isn't really reliable that way. It's fire-and-forget bonus damage. Little known bit is that the lightning strikes are actually a very small AoE, but they take Ranged Damage sets. Which means you can slap a Devastation IO in there and have it be an auto-hitting, self-targeting area Hold power.
- Gale is actually one of your best powers. Slap the knockback-to-knockdown IO in there, and you've got a massive knockdown cone that's up every 4-8 seconds. It can lock down entire spawns with ease.
- Do not underestimate O2's utility. It's got +perception, +res (disorient), +res (sleep) and +res (end drain). It negates a ton of end game problems, particularly when dealing with Malta or Knives.
Thank you for the information, I love seeing set breakdowns like these. Most of the stuff I see on the Homecoming boards tends to be just final incarnate builds so having some ideas of what to expect leveling up is nice. I'm hoping that those Knock back -> Knock down IOs aren't that expensive, but I've got loads of cash about.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Tempest_56 posted:

Thunderclap is EXTREMELY cool for showing off your costume when the judges walk in front of you

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
It's worth pointing out that Storm is a little different now than you can put those knockback-to-knockdown IOs in your powers.

Random Axis
Jul 19, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

I once made a Storm/Grav Controller on Live explicitly for the knockback shenanigans. Sadly, I never got out of the mid-20s with it.

I have a Force Field/Energy Controller on Homecoming that I got all the way to 50 whose whole gimmick is knockdown and knockback. High level content at +4 is boring since nearly everything is immune (even to my magnitude 45 force bolt), but doing low level stuff is great when none of the mobs can stay on their feet.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Oh, one additional: I mentioned Tornado is great against AVs. Smaller targets will get juggled to hell and back, which makes it decent (if extremely unpredictable) crowd control. Knockback-resistant targets (your AVs/EBs) will not be, but the Tornado will lock on and sit on top of them, grinding up damage. The knockback will eventually stack enough to start chain-knockdowning them, which is super useful. However Tornado also has a avoid effect that will cause the target to try and run away from it. So you really want to hit them with slows (like Snowstorm or Freezing Rain) to keep them from scattering too far.

I learned that one the hard way against Diabolique, who decided to turn invulnerable and then fly at max speed to the other side of the map.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Thunderclap isn't totally useless, but like a lot of other weak mez powers the question comes down to if you have something else to combo with it. It also looks really cool, which I think counts for something. :colbert:

Pretty much everything else was covered, but do not sleep on Snow Storm. It's a huge movement debuff which is nice if you don't have a Controller spamming immobilize, but much more importantly it's also a huge recharge slow which is a undervalued form of soft crowd control.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

John Murdoch posted:

Thunderclap isn't totally useless, but like a lot of other weak mez powers the question comes down to if you have something else to combo with it. It also looks really cool, which I think counts for something. :colbert:

Pretty much everything else was covered, but do not sleep on Snow Storm. It's a huge movement debuff which is nice if you don't have a Controller spamming immobilize, but much more importantly it's also a huge recharge slow which is a undervalued form of soft crowd control.

It depends how well your team can eat the alpha. Recharge slow doesn't blunt that but it does give you a lot of recovery time afterwards.

My AR/storm corruptor, Gale of Bullets, had a pretty good time getting to 50. As long as you're good enough at maneuvering that you can hurricane people into a big central pile instead of out of it, nobody's going to be too down on you.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Recharge Slow is better the less performant your team is, and worse as your team gets stronger. Snow Storm is one of those things I take at low levels and then throw out in a final build, unless I'm going to be doing a lot of exemping with that character.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

Glazius posted:

My AR/storm corruptor, Gale of Bullets, had a pretty good time getting to 50. As long as you're good enough at maneuvering that you can hurricane people into a big central pile instead of out of it, nobody's going to be too down on you.
Huh, small universe, I'm pretty sure I joined you on a Faathim TF last night on my Dark Melee/Shield Brute.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Huh, small universe, I'm pretty sure I joined you on a Faathim TF last night on my Dark Melee/Shield Brute.

Oh hey, guess so! Those shadow shard TFs run a lot better with the wiki page open in another monitor so you know what kind of bullshit it's going to throw at you.

And some team teleporters.

Mostly it's the team teleporters I think.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 30, 2022

Dekker
Dec 16, 2003
Made In Taiwan!

Soonmot posted:

And just like retail, I still haven't gotten badger badger to 50

This is your moment, you absolute legend.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a guide somewhere on how to level and not feel awful? I know when I join the LFG TFs there's some guy at level 25 who dropped 50 mil on his build, but any solo stuff I try just feels like a slog. I thought it was a MM pre double pet upgrades thing, but my rad/fire eventually going to AE farm dude also feels really slow in solo missions. Is the game designed to be kind of slow until you can twink out or am I bad at CoH?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Soloing blows unless you are a giga gamer/twinked out/decently high level imo. I haven't played in a while but when I was on Homecoming I always spammed chat to recruit for whatever I was running. There's usually a bunch of people that want to play in a group but not go through the trouble of running it. COH is just more fun when the map is full of dudes and your whole team is going nuts. Unless it's a cave map, those are universally terrible.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah last time I played I mostly LFG recruited for radio mission warm bodies. Just making sure it wasn't me because my main discord buddies have been playing CoH since launch so it's hard to figure out where I actually am compared to them

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

Is there a guide somewhere on how to level and not feel awful? I know when I join the LFG TFs there's some guy at level 25 who dropped 50 mil on his build, but any solo stuff I try just feels like a slog. I thought it was a MM pre double pet upgrades thing, but my rad/fire eventually going to AE farm dude also feels really slow in solo missions. Is the game designed to be kind of slow until you can twink out or am I bad at CoH?

scrappers, brutes, and stalkers feel good soloing, blasters and dominators aren't bad, everybody else should probably just group. but make sure to at least twink yourself out with SOs pre-27 and generic IOs of the highest level you can equip after that point even if you don't want to drop a ton of money on sets and stuff. you can convert a few reward merits into enhancement converters and auction them to get the cash to do basic stuff like that.

keep in mind that if you kit yourself out with SOs from the start you are very much twinked out by live standards, since SOs lower than level 25 didn't exist on live. it should be at least doable for anybody but a controller to solo up to 30 at least, but unless you're an offensive archetype it will be kinda slow regardless. as the post above says you're basically always going to get people interested in grouping especially if you advertise content that awards badges or souvenirs, although in some level brackets the most obvious content to run might kinda suck (synapse :argh:)

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

if you want to solo you're much better off with one of the melee ATs, or maybe mastermind if you can stand that (I can't). The downside for tanks is you generally don't get your big bad AOEs until your 30s but you can buy temp attacks like taser/grenade from P2W and they're actually very good. Brutes and scrappers are easy with even large numbers of enemies, stalker is better at fewer, harder enemies. Note that bosses generally won't show up in your missions solo unless you enable that in Notoriety.