Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Three Olives posted:

$300k :vomit:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Looks better than the Mercedes EQS imo

That’s not hard to do tho

I think it’s pretty baller. Get loving weird lets go :bederper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

knox_harrington posted:

I'm sure they're not available, but I just had a chilling thought of what it would be like driving a Twizy in a US city. You could probably fit completely in a Ram's wheel arch.

I don't know how this got into the USA, I believe it's some sort of NEV (Neighborhood EV) that must be registered as a golf cart of sort. Spotted this week at a resort in Olympia National Forest.

Being used by housekeeping. I wouldn't be surprised if it used AGM batteries.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Celestiq and Lyriq are beautiful names for beautiful cars.

Good news about the Celestiq is that each one is custom built so if red & black isn't your thing you can get a boring interior instead.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

I don't know how this got into the USA, I believe it's some sort of NEV (Neighborhood EV) that must be registered as a golf cart of sort. Spotted this week at a resort in Olympia National Forest.

Being used by housekeeping. I wouldn't be surprised if it used AGM batteries.

That's an old style plate too (which I like). They managed to hang onto it despite the 7 year replacement thing they had for a long time.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Three Olives posted:

that interior gives a new meaning to "muscle car"

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Speleothing posted:

Celestiq and Lyriq are beautiful names for beautiful cars.

Good news about the Celestiq is that each one is custom built so if red & black isn't your thing you can get a boring interior instead.

Only if they can custom build it to look like the Elmiraj.

It's a travesty that they never built that. Make it an EV Cadillac!

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
So I'm planning my first long range trip and need some advice. I have a 2020 Nissan Leaf (I know) S Plus with 200+ mile range.. I'm traveling down to the NJ Shore via Garden State Pkwy. Google Maps pegs the trip at about 171 miles which SHOULD be doable on a 100% charge. Of course, I don't want to leave much to chance. Now, I may try to make the trip on a single charge but what sucks is there is only a J1772 6.48 kW 5min drive from my hotel. So I'd need to let the charge charge for at least a day. My other thought was to stop halfway at a 50kw Chademo ChargePoint and charge as much as I can there and then again on the way back. I'm not sure how long that would take though and I'm already on a 3.5hour drive. So, what do?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

drhankmccoyphd posted:

So I'm planning my first long range trip and need some advice. I have a 2020 Nissan Leaf (I know) S Plus with 200+ mile range.. I'm traveling down to the NJ Shore via Garden State Pkwy. Google Maps pegs the trip at about 171 miles which SHOULD be doable on a 100% charge. Of course, I don't want to leave much to chance. Now, I may try to make the trip on a single charge but what sucks is there is only a J1772 6.48 kW 5min drive from my hotel. So I'd need to let the charge charge for at least a day. My other thought was to stop halfway at a 50kw Chademo ChargePoint and charge as much as I can there and then again on the way back. I'm not sure how long that would take though and I'm already on a 3.5hour drive. So, what do?

I think its worth stopping to charge up at the fast charger on the way, both to have to spend less time at the lvl 2 charger near your destination, and because if this is your first trip, you can get some experience on how the public DC fast chargers work. Even just stopping for 30 minutes will cut a big chunk off of what you'll need to charge at your destination. Leaf is... what, 50kw max charging? Half hour i would guess you could put like, 20kw or so back in the batteries?

I would think it makes sense to charge up at the fast charger, then when you get to your destination if you don't have enough juice to get back to the charger again, you can top up at that lvl 2 for however much you need. I also think theres peace of mind in charging halfway rather than skipping that, and get anxious as you close in on your destination if the range estimates are dropping and you're cutting it close.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
If the infrastructure where you're going is that bad I'd rather rent a car.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

I think its worth stopping to charge up at the fast charger on the way, both to have to spend less time at the lvl 2 charger near your destination, and because if this is your first trip, you can get some experience on how the public DC fast chargers work. Even just stopping for 30 minutes will cut a big chunk off of what you'll need to charge at your destination. Leaf is... what, 50kw max charging? Half hour i would guess you could put like, 20kw or so back in the batteries?

I would think it makes sense to charge up at the fast charger, then when you get to your destination if you don't have enough juice to get back to the charger again, you can top up at that lvl 2 for however much you need. I also think theres peace of mind in charging halfway rather than skipping that, and get anxious as you close in on your destination if the range estimates are dropping and you're cutting it close.

Be aware that the LEAF, lacking thermal management, is going to be really slow if you try to fast charge twice in one day, especially if you've been driving at highway speed between charges.

I don't have enough focus to know if this applies to you, OP. Sorry if it's irrelevant.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Tom Guycot posted:

Thanks this is all good info. So 20kwh on the leaf would be about 30% charge about for 30 mins of charging is that right?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Thanks this is all good info. So 20kwh on the leaf would be about 30% charge about for 30 mins of charging is that right?

Well, to be clear i've never driven or charged a leaf specifically, i'm just throwing out a wild guess based on what i thought i remembered hearing about its charging speeds. Frankly this is all more reason I think it would be worth making that stop so you can have an idea how it actually charges and dont' have to guess about it in the future.

EDIT:

Heres a link on some information on the charging curve for a leaf plus, if this is the same as your model:

https://insideevs.com/news/495913/nissan-leaf-dc-fast-charging-curve/

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 22, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

kliras posted:

that interior gives a new meaning to "muscle car"

Cadillac Medium Rare Edition

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I have essentially the same car. I’d recommend finding a fast charger as close as possible to your destination instead of halfway - 3/4 would be good probably. That way 30 minutes at it will give you more like 35%ish since the battery will be fairly low. Then do the same except backwards on the way home (after filling up at the L2 of course). If I were taking the same trip as you I wouldn’t be worried as long as I started out at 100%.

Edit: one of the displays on the dash will give you charging time estimates once you plug in, very handy when I’m deciding how long I want to hang somewhere.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

dissss posted:

If the infrastructure where you're going is that bad I'd rather rent a car.

This a thing that always baffles me, rental cars are a thing! Like, if an EV takes care of 99% of your driving needs for a year, you can just like, rent a car for a road trip on occasion.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
To be clear that 'just rent a car' post was based in the midpoint DC and destination AC chargers being the only options. If one or both are out of order or occupied you'd be screwed.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
This is a line that I push pretty aggressively at work when my co-workers start going down the old "I need an electric car that can go 1000 miles on one charge for the single time per year we drive to X".

If you save 100 bux per month driving an EV, you're still coming out ahead if you rent a car once a year even if it's 500 bux.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

This is a line that I push pretty aggressively at work when my co-workers start going down the old "I need an electric car that can go 1000 miles on one charge for the single time per year we drive to X".

If you save 100 bux per month driving an EV, you're still coming out ahead if you rent a car once a year even if it's 500 bux.

Also, all the intangibles, buying gas is gross, inconvenient and time consuming. I don't loving know what gas costs, I'm locked into an energy contract for the next two years that costs me $0.32 to drive to work and back.

That is another baffling thing, people act like buying gas is so much more convenient than driving home and plugging your car in and forgetting about it until the next morning.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Picked up my EV6 today. I love it. I want to make babies with it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SchrodingersCat posted:

Welcome to the EV6 gang, friend.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Three Olives posted:

It's so ridiculous I kind of love it. I wish my grandfather (who only drove Cadillacs since I was born) was still around to see it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SchrodingersCat posted:

Would they look like Robocop?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

On my yearly long golf trips I just use it as an excuse to drive a fun car for a few days. Fun fact, you can actually fit a set of golf clubs in the new Corvette!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Three Olives posted:

Also, all the intangibles, buying gas is gross, inconvenient and time consuming. I don't loving know what gas costs, I'm locked into an energy contract for the next two years that costs me $0.32 to drive to work and back.

That is another baffling thing, people act like buying gas is so much more convenient than driving home and plugging your car in and forgetting about it until the next morning.
Most people still just don't get it because they are entirely stuck in their thinking of vehicles must be driven some place to be refueled when low and you have to wait there with it till it is full. EVs just straight up break peoples brains more often than you would think. It takes a lot of back and forth discussion and explaining to get people out of that mindset because it is really deeply ingrained into society.

Sometimes it helps if you force them out of "car think" when they ask how long it takes to charge by telling them "It doesn't matter, it is like a cell phone, you plug it in at the end of the day before you go to bed and the next morning it is fully charged when you get back to it".

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Can you not level 1 charge overnight with an extension cord somewhere nearby? Maybe the hotel has a outlet you can use? It would take a long time, but if you're staying a night and a beach day, the level 1 should be fine?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Three Olives posted:

Can't believe they decided to make the Fer de Lance from elite dangerous into a car

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The striations on the seats remind me of the '92 Gary Oldman Dracula armor

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

Sorry that rules, at least in the 300k gently caress you poors way. Are the cowards actually making it this time?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Well at least it has a complete steering wheel so already better than Tesla.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mobby_6kl posted:

Sorry that rules, at least in the 300k gently caress you poors way. Are the cowards actually making it this time?

This is the real question. GM loves to deliver show-stopping concepts that morph into boring jellybean SUV derivatives during production engineering.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

bad_fmr posted:

Well at least it has a complete steering wheel so already better than Tesla.

Actual styling, no stupid ipad screen... It's significantly less stupid than a Tesla.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Bone Crimes posted:

Can you not level 1 charge overnight with an extension cord somewhere nearby? Maybe the hotel has a outlet you can use? It would take a long time, but if you're staying a night and a beach day, the level 1 should be fine?

This is my hope but I can’t bank on that since I’ve never been to this area. I’ll def sniff around for an outlet somewhere but I need to assume I won’t find one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

GM is proud to announce Flesh Interface, a new interior design philosophy and infotainment operating system experience, coming first to Cadillac vehicles in 2025…

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Mary Barra wants to introduce the design team during GM’s annual keynote. Pinhead and the cenobites enter stage left

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Add some b&w zig-zags and that caddy would make a passable mobile Black Lodge.

Kirios posted:

On my yearly long golf trips I just use it as an excuse to drive a fun car for a few days. Fun fact, you can actually fit a set of golf clubs in the new Corvette!

I don’t know where I heard this, but I was under the impression that fitting golf clubs in the trunk is a design requirement for the corvette given its targeted demographic. Could be bullshit.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I saw that Cadillac in Cyberpunk 2077

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Loucks posted:

Add some b&w zig-zags and that caddy would make a passable mobile Black Lodge.

I don’t know where I heard this, but I was under the impression that fitting golf clubs in the trunk is a design requirement for the corvette given its targeted demographic. Could be bullshit.

Two sets of clubs, in fact.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

EngineerJoe posted:

I saw that Cadillac in Cyberpunk 2077

Give me a car with a non hosed up Delamain AI tyvm!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Speleothing posted:

Two sets of clubs, in fact.

I think there's a little logo with 2 clubs? At least there is in some vehicle I've seen a review of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I really really want an ev6. Is there anything I should know about it? Is there any dark secret? It seems pretty great at a great price point. Is it worth waiting for the 2023 model?