Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

ymgve posted:

how do you quick fix bias in your model? just add words like "black" and "woman" at the end of users' prompts at random!

https://twitter.com/rzhang88/status/1549472829304741888

"We accidentally did a racism with our AI, but don't worry, we 'fixed' it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It's weird that would need teased out, you'd think part of the academic or research team documents would explain how they intended to handle that kind of bias in the sample set.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's weird that would need teased out, you'd think part of the academic or research team documents would explain how they intended to handle that kind of bias in the sample set.

It's a quick "fix" that was introduced during the last few days, in the research papers it's just "we're aware of the problem and are thinking hard about solutions"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Someone was just tired of getting emails while the people in charge of datasets were trying to sort it out. Training takes a long time it's not something you can quickly change, at least not from my understanding.

It works, but should have been implemented as an option you can turn off since it's changing your prompt and been up front about how it's working.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

pixaal posted:

Someone was just tired of getting emails while the people in charge of datasets were trying to sort it out. Training takes a long time it's not something you can quickly change, at least not from my understanding.

It works, but should have been implemented as an option you can turn off since it's changing your prompt and been up front about how it's working.

It wouldn't have been that much work to filter for prompts that include words that represent people and then check to see if there's any racial keywords before inserting one.

I mean, it would have been more work than just randomly inserting words into prompts, but I could build a fairly intelligent system to do this in a couple days.

The way they seem to be doing it is hilariously incompetent.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

https://openai.com/blog/dall-e-2-pre-training-mitigations/

They did try that before training the model, but its a difficult and ill-defined problem.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TIP posted:

It wouldn't have been that much work to filter for prompts that include words that represent people and then check to see if there's any racial keywords before inserting one.

I mean, it would have been more work than just randomly inserting words into prompts, but I could build a fairly intelligent system to do this in a couple days.

The way they seem to be doing it is hilariously incompetent.

I didn't even think about making the work around better, your right that could be vastly improved and probably should be communicated properly. Fixing it at the training level is probably a pipe dream anyway. History has been white washed already and without a time machine that's hard to restore.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

AI be morbin'

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/1550187189610455040

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Guess who just got a DALL-E invite (and also learned that "fleshlight" breaks their ToS...)

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

Lord and Savior of KarmaFleet

A Strange Aeon posted:

I don't think they expected as much bias as was found. I think humanity is far more biased than they expected and since the training set was from the internet it was exponentially more biased then humanity.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
For some reason, this is the only one of these pictures that featured an actual giant and not just a big waterpark. Those are some really freaky rear end giants. Almost reminds me of the live action "Where The Wild Things Are".

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

TIP fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 21, 2022

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Foreverially tied up and loving it

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

See the text that it makes? The AI's all seem to make this type of text across different implementations. It terrifies me. What does it say?

I cannot get it to translate to english. I read some where that it's just random noise. Then why is it so similar? Same dataset?

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

It will not give me a translation. Any ideas would be great!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

pikachu as a prehistoric fertility idol, clay sculpt, 5000BC, British museum

openAI Dall-E invite came!

ohhh I'm down to 8 credits after goofing around with it all afternoon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

nazca posted:

It will not give me a translation. Any ideas would be great!

these seem similar but are actually really different. Bottom right is very obviously some kinda white blocktext font and imo is only superficially similar to say, top or middle left.

Check out this set of glyphs, which probably will look like poo poo in night mode:

clearly all of those represent the same thing, ofc. I don't see poo poo in the bottom left that even remotely seems like a repeating glyph of the same type. That one is i think supposed to be the same font but at best you have an extremely blocky rectangle I. The rest of the characters in that one are too low detail to be usable, but have some differences.

I think it probably is just noise and it's a mix of our brains trying to extract info from something that has no info, and the fake brain trying to create info and coming up with something that seems good enough.

either that or whatever info is actually in there is encoded in a way that doesn't make sense at all, like such and such region has an overall value of x, and the next one has something else, etc. Where the actual lines don't represent it.

ProfessorMarvel posted:

Guess who just got a DALL-E invite (and also learned that "fleshlight" breaks their ToS...)

like the text here, a human would see those two Gs as the same thing, there's no indication the network assigns anything to them, or even considers them as similar units.

I think you'd have to figure out a way to quantify similarities or something that is without bias, or like... analyze information in a way that's hard for me to articulate. Because none of these are repeating glyphs, with maybe the bullet points being an exception, you'd have to imagine some situation like we got a 2d bitmap image from aliens and have to figure out the writing depicted in it. There's probably a way this could be done but idk. Cause you can't assume the neural net is using discrete glyphs as units of info.

I think this is just a rehash of the yard sale / fake room conversation that came up earlier: looks like a yard sale would look at that resolution, but there's nothing actually in there, there's no identifiable objects or anything. It just looks similar to how words would look if you took a lovely pic. We know real words would have clear glyphs, how's the network supposed to get it if it's just pattern matching text inputs to image training sets to image outputs?

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I received my Dall-E invitation.

:cool:

Comin' In Hot! :supaburn:

Back to Art School! :haw:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

3 Toed Sloth.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I swear Dall-E sometimes throws in a completely unrelated pic.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Click the image and use the report function in the lower left - the report function is also for nonsense generations, not just offensive stuff

Those of you that got in after the payment switch got flipped, when did you apply for the beta? Wondering if they still do filtering or if they just take people in the order people applied

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

zalgo comes!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

gandalf and saruman embarrassed at meeting each other while dancing at a gay ent club webcomic style

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

gandalf and saruman embarrassed at meeting each other while dancing at a gay ent club webcomic style

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Apparently Dalle LOVES William-Adolphe Bouguereau, and using his name makes anything better

dalle discord posted:

other example where you can very clearly see how adding the painter changes the result:
bad:

full length character design, digital art of a young female teen superheroine with a cape, standing on a roof overlooking a city

good:

full length character design, digital art of a young female teen superheroine with a cape, standing on a roof overlooking a city, painted by William-Adolphe Bouguereau

dalle discord posted:

Anime Key visual of a young witch holding two beakers full of liquid, mad scientist's lab background
vs
Anime Key visual of a medieval young witch holding two beakers full of liquid, she is wearing a witch's hat, mad scientist's lab background; artstation; official media; very well drawn;
vs
Anime Key visual of a young witch holding two beakers full of liquid, mad scientist's lab background; painted by William-Adolphe Bouguereau

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tunicate posted:

Apparently Dalle LOVES William-Adolphe Bouguereau, and using his name makes anything better

"you can very clearly see how adding the painter changes the result"

isn't that expected, and true of many artists?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah but he's way more stable than a lot of others, for some reason

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Requested a rat innkeeper holding up a key

Got a rat innkeeper with a messed up enormous right hand.

Erased the right hand and asked for the same. Fixed.

Erased the key and asked for a candle instead.

Numerous variations later I ended up with a goat holding a candle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!