Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Miami Vice
Collateral
Spartan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for all the recs everyone! Tons of interesting stuff!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Documentary: Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters

And maybe the TV series: Reacher

e: vvvv Oh, yes!

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 14, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Palindromists, about a handful of people who make up palindromes for a hobby realizing that each other exist, then getting flown halfway around the world to have the world's first palindrome contest live in front of an audience. It's very cute.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Pumping Iron, no joke. Even starting out knowing nothing about bodybuilding, by the end of it the movie has taught you enough about that you can really appreciate just how good Arnie was, and you wonder why the others even tried.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

married but discreet posted:

Pumping Iron, no joke. Even starting out knowing nothing about bodybuilding, by the end of it the movie has taught you enough about that you can really appreciate just how good Arnie was, and you wonder why the others even tried.

The man was a psychological torture master in that movie

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Steve Yun posted:

The man was a psychological torture master in that movie

him and ken waller. i wasn't upset by it since the stakes were so relatively low, but it definitely lowered my opinion of both of them.

definitely cheapened their wins, but maybe that's just how things are.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I don't think it cheapens it. Mind games are part of every competition.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

married but discreet posted:

I don't think it cheapens it. Mind games are part of every competition.

if you say so

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They were playing characters for the camera

It's a terrific film.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Been enjoying tons of great recs but holy poo poo you guys were not kidding about Pumping Iron. I had next to zero interest in bodybuilding before watching and it was utterly fascinating. Arnold really is completely dominant and just absolutely mean sometimes. Made me feel bad for Lou but Arnold is also strangely charming in the movie. Great documentary!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm looking for globe-trotting adventure or spy movies. Ideally it's the kind that's largely an excuse for there to be a bunch of glamorous and exotic locations to have a fight, chase, or stunt in, and is at least somewhat possible to take seriously. But not James Bond.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm looking for globe-trotting adventure or spy movies. Ideally it's the kind that's largely an excuse for there to be a bunch of glamorous and exotic locations to have a fight, chase, or stunt in, and is at least somewhat possible to take seriously. But not James Bond.

the Mission Impossible and Bourne movies are great for this. The latter are a little more serious in tone

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. movie from a few years back is fun

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Also I know you said somewhat possible to take seriously, but I'm gonna throw out the Get Smart remake with Steve Carrell. It's a comedy, but I remember it being exciting and just a ton of fun.

I never had seen the Fast and Furious movies until recently when I marathoned them with some friends and was surprised at how fun they were. Basically the definition of "glamorous, exotic locations with fights, chases and stunts", especially as the series ramps up the craziness and insanity. I'd read some plot summaries of the first two if you want to skip the ones set only in California, but by 4 and 5 they're definitely in the "glamorous, crazy stunts around the world" genre and it ramps up the craziness and fun as they go on (and the ridiculousness). Tokyo Drift is a great movie but it's kinda it's own thing, not really connected to the others except for a cameo and some ret-conning in later movies. It's probably the BEST of the series, but it's not a traditional F and F movie. I was a huge hater of the series until I actually sat down and watched them.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Red Notice
Uncharted

Globe trotting spy flicks are coming back in style

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I hadn't seen many Bollywood movies or taken any seriously but then I saw RRR and it was incredible. Any suggestions for great Bollywood movies, can be totally over the top like RRR or "good".

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

thehandtruck posted:

I hadn't seen many Bollywood movies or taken any seriously but then I saw RRR and it was incredible. Any suggestions for great Bollywood movies, can be totally over the top like RRR or "good".
On a related note, recommend me some films that go as hard as RRR on the "gently caress the british" sentiment :v:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

Romancing the Stone

thehandtruck posted:

Sholay
Dil Chahta Hai
Munna Bhai M.B.B.S.
Swades
Anand

Pilchenstein posted:

On a related note, recommend me some films that go as hard as RRR on the "gently caress the british" sentiment :v:

Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Fast and the Furious 5-7 (maybe 8 depending on your tolerance for absurdity)
Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

LionYeti posted:

Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol
Any of the Mission Impossibles really, except maybe 2 which I don't remember.

Zogo posted:

Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India
Cheers.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

thehandtruck posted:

RRR is Tollywood, not Bollywood. For "good" (as opposed to over the top) check out Satyajit Ray's films.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

thehandtruck posted:

You could check out some of S. S. Rajamouli's previous films. Baahubali (esp part two) and Eega are great. Sarpatta Parambarai is a recent Tamil film I quite liked and it's on Prime in 4k. KGF Chapters 1 and 2 are definitely over the top and macho but I enjoyed them.

For actual Bollywood there's always the American just getting into Bollywood starter pack of SRK movies. Stuff like Dil Se.., Om Shanti Om, Main Hoon Na are all great. Criterion Channel had some Mani Kaul films but they just left, so not as easily streamed unless you have Mubi, but Duvidha rules.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

Any of the Mission Impossibles really, except maybe 2 which I don't remember.

2 you have to have a lot of love/understanding of extremely 90s things and John Woo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Weird, trippy low-budget sci-fi? Lesser-known, below even Zardoz and Conquest. Like, bottom-of-the-barrel stuff but with big visual and/or philosophical ambition. Just watched the 1983 Hercules with its crazy weirdo sci-fi tone and I don't care how bad it is I adore it swinging for the fences.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

feedmyleg posted:

Weird, trippy low-budget sci-fi? Lesser-known, below even Zardoz and Conquest. Like, bottom-of-the-barrel stuff but with big visual and/or philosophical ambition. Just watched the 1983 Hercules with its crazy weirdo sci-fi tone and I don't care how bad it is I adore it swinging for the fences.

Krull (1983) - for visuals, not philosophical ambition, though may not be bottom-of-the-barrel enough for you
Looker (1981) - Michael Crichton thriller - my avatar photo comes from this
Endangered Species (1982) - Robert Ulrich investigates cattle mutilations
Hardware (1990) - Scavenger brings home killer robot parts for his artist girlfriend to use. What could go wrong?

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 23, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Six-string samurai
Runaway

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

These are probably too high-profile, but if you haven't seen them, then The Andromeda Strain (1971) and Phase IV (1974) might be worth checking out, particularly the latter.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Robot Holocaust (1987).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

feedmyleg posted:

Leaning more in the Hercules direction of funny yet entertaining good cheese:

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
The Sword and the Sorcerer
DeathStalker II (this is more for the funny B-movie appeal, but it's a keeper.)

Also for an offshoot from fantasy, I recall those Hercules movies have Serena Grandi etc. Most of the Italian wild movies I dig are horror movies. Delirium is a B-movie gem, and Demons if you haven't seen it. Demons is freewheeling and adventure-y to have cross genre appeal I think. Both by Lamberto Bava.

For just low budget sci-fi that rocks: Trancers, Repo Man (any excuse to recommend it), Space Adventure Cobra (probably not low budget), G.I. Samurai, Death Race 2000, Cherry 2000, Arcadia of My Youth (just underseen)

Also just because it's interesting to note, Hercules (1983) has a respectable budget. Or at least not low budget for the time I guess. Same budget as The Terminator, high for Italy at the time I think.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 23, 2022

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

FancyMike posted:

You could check out some of S. S. Rajamouli's previous films. Baahubali (esp part two) and Eega are great. Sarpatta Parambarai is a recent Tamil film I quite liked and it's on Prime in 4k. KGF Chapters 1 and 2 are definitely over the top and macho but I enjoyed them.

For actual Bollywood there's always the American just getting into Bollywood starter pack of SRK movies. Stuff like Dil Se.., Om Shanti Om, Main Hoon Na are all great. Criterion Channel had some Mani Kaul films but they just left, so not as easily streamed unless you have Mubi, but Duvidha rules.

I'm watching Baahubali right now and I just want to say these movies are teaching me the most important lesson I've ever learned or needed to learn. And that is that dudes rock. Dudes absolutely rock. I don't think I can go back to movies where dudes don't rock. I won't go back to movies where dudes don't rock.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Hardware (killer robot locked room with Ministry soundtrack)

Split Second (grimdark monster movie with Rutger Hauer just chewing scenery and it's funny too)

Life Force (The Space Vampires but from the director of Poltergeist and Texas Chainsaw Massacre)

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Hardware (killer robot locked room with Ministry soundtrack)

Split Second (grimdark monster movie with Rutger Hauer just chewing scenery and it's funny too)

Life Force (The Space Vampires but from the director of Poltergeist and Texas Chainsaw Massacre)

All good recs. One correction though; Life Force was co-directed by Cocaine.

I should add another recommendation for the director duo of Tobe Hooper & Cocaine for the 1986 remake of Invaders from Mars.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for movies about military/law enforcement black ops: specifically military and or law enforcement operating in countries they're not supposed to be in/not allowed in.

Some examples of what I've seen:

Sicario
The Kingdom
Zero Dark Thirty
Narcos (I'm looking for movies, not TV, but it's a good example)

A lot of this genre is centered on the US, which im fine with feel free to rec those, but also feel free to rec movies that have nothing to do with the US as well. Any time period/conflict. Thanks!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It’s more of a paramilitary thing but Triple Frontier is otherwise what you’re looking for

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about military/law enforcement black ops: specifically military and or law enforcement operating in countries they're not supposed to be in/not allowed in.

Sicario
The Kingdom
Zero Dark Thirty

A lot of this genre is centered on the US, which im fine with feel free to rec those, but also feel free to rec movies that have nothing to do with the US as well. Any time period/conflict. Thanks!

Clear & Present Danger definitely qualifies.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I was thinking the other day about role models in media, and it got me wondering if anybody can point me to good romances (comic, dramatic, period, genre, whatever, as long as it is mainly a love story) in which one or both of the leads is notably a good person. Like, not merely that they are admirable, but that the film considers their morals important.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What’s the best movie version of King Lear

And don’t say Ran because I’ve already seen it

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Rambo: First Blood Part II
Rambo III
Sniper (1993)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Sicario
The Kingdom
Zero Dark Thirty

tears of the sun but its not gonna be great