Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Banning all cheese except Red Leicester is also good for Posadists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Send these female splash patterns off to the lab, and make sure they know it's a priority. The mayor's really riding my rear end about this person using a toilet in a way I don't like.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
This time, we're the new pork market

what year was soylent green set in again?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Convex posted:

This time, we're the new pork market

what year was soylent green set in again?

That's amazing, I just came here to mention Soylent Green!
Maybe illegals coming in by boat can serve Britain best in this way.

(sarcasm for anyone in the faintest doubt!)

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

jiggerypokery posted:

This would nuke house prices. There is 0 chance this is happening.

Nope, it's happening. Corporate landlords and the like (cf: recent price-gouging hiding behind the skirts of "inflation", so they're cash-rich) will continue to buy and keep prices buoyant. WFH might have tanked some commercial real-estate for the moment (it'll bounce back, eventually) but domestic still has massive demand - you can work anywhere but you must live somewhere. You just won't own it.

Only Kindness fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 23, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
After COVID, the reaction I imagine the world would have to "Soylent Green is people!" has changed a fair bit.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

endlessmonotony posted:

After COVID, the reaction I imagine the world would have to "Soylent Green is people!" has changed a fair bit.

Well you'd need to cook it thoroughly.
And serve with fava beans (what are those anyway?) and a nice Chianti.

ed: apparently covid virus can be killed at 75C.
https://www.healthline.com/health/what-temperature-kills-coronavirus#research

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 23, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're a type of broadbean. Rich in L-dopa and other amino acids that meant you couldn't eat them with a lot of the old school psychiatric medicines.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

They're a type of broadbean. Rich in L-dopa and other amino acids that meant you couldn't eat them with a lot of the old school psychiatric medicines.

Interesting. Do people get told this stuff when they get prescribed meds that might interact badly with food?
My sister can't have grapefruit because it interferes with some heart meds she's been on since she was a teenager so no idea if 'they' told her or if she found out herself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think back in the bad old days it was assumed you'd be too feeble minded to deal with that information yourself, so it would all be through the institution.

Nowadays it should be discussed upfront, and there's also been a lot of effort with e.g. transdermal MAOIs that don't interact with random foods in very bad ways.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Transdermal MAOIs are not good for Posadists.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Transdimensional Moais are good for Posadists.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Interesting. Do people get told this stuff when they get prescribed meds that might interact badly with food?
My sister can't have grapefruit because it interferes with some heart meds she's been on since she was a teenager so no idea if 'they' told her or if she found out herself.

Yeah, you still can't have grapefruit or grapefruit juice with antidepressants, be they SSRI, SNRA, TCA or MAOI. They always have a very clear, prominent sticker on the outside of the box of pills saying "avoiding taking with grapefruit juice". And hilariously the enzyme that causes problems inhibits some medications from working & causes others to work too efficiently, so I know with sertraline that it increases the risk of a serotonin overdose & thus serotonin syndrome, which is bad. But some heart meds it stops them working. Very cool stuff grapefruit. I kinda miss it even though it was never an every-day fruit.

I know some other citrus fruits are in the similar category, like the bitter Seville oranges they use in marmalade. Dunno if that means marmalade is off limits or not though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, you still can't have grapefruit or grapefruit juice with antidepressants, be they SSRI, SNRA, TCA or MAOI. They always have a very clear, prominent sticker on the outside of the box of pills saying "avoiding taking with grapefruit juice".

This isn't true, it depends on the exact chemistry.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Bleak lol at Labour:

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1550567576920637442?s=21&t=VhntGVcEz78ysM5w-kvKxg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1550570576527360001

Just not possible to improve living standards unfortunately, can't be done.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We have to grow the economy which is why we are adopting the same economic policy as the tories which has grown the economy so much.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

They'll vote to suspend him for the shortest amount of time that will trigger a by-election, then they'll deselect him.
He defects to Labour and somehow wins a GE.

RockyB posted:

I mean I don't want to overstate it, but within the first 100 days of PM Truss I thoroughly expect:

• A proposal to solve the energy crisis with some sort of hampster wheel mechanism powered by Boris Bikes Truss Cycles

Somewhere out there a journalist is waiting for the first shot of her doing a photo OP at a hospital, the words 'surgical truss' hovering tantalisingly on the edge of being.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
The best way to grow the economy is to ensure that 99% of the population are too poor to engage in economic activity. I am very smart and sensible.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Even if these were good policies, nobody knows about them. The occasional interview in Mirror/Guardian won't make a dent compared to daily headlines on the fantasies of the leadership candidates.

Good boy Kier Starmer just waiting for purdah where his tasty policies will get a fair hearing, surely.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Just sit back and watch as Keith manages to not capitalise on any of this, offer any sort of alternative, and loses to Truss in a couple of years time

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
man gently caress the labour party so much :mad:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
do the people who are so obsessed with whether others have a winky or a vag get distressed by the 50/50 bread, also

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

smellmycheese posted:

Just sit back and watch as Keith manages to not capitalise on any of this, offer any sort of alternative, and loses to Truss in a couple of years time

You're only saying that because of his track record on the issue.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

lol remember when she would go on TV and cry that people called her a Red Tory?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/willymactweets/status/1550485530248462338?t=LLauysIKr__Gg6v9oVj70A&s=19

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

mirror article posted:

Eco-conscious Rachel Reeves took the plunge and bought an electric car - but had to abandon it when it ran out of juice.

She and husband Nick Joicey, the DWP’s finance director general, pay Ł250 a month on finance for a Kia e-Niro they bought in October 2020.

But there “were moments I thought - why on earth have we done this?” the Leeds West MP, who has two young children, revealed.

“The hottest day I think of last year, I was driving from Leeds to London with the kids and my husband was staying in Leeds.

“And we went to the charging point two before you get to London on the M1 and it wasn't working.

“And then we went to the next one. And then the next one, none of them were working and it was incredibly stressful.

“In the end, I ended up basically just sort of having to leave the car somewhere to charge and then getting a taxi home with the kids.”

Charging infrastructure problem, not an issue with a tesla.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Got to admit I’ve never seen him and London Elektricity in a room together

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

Just not possible to improve living standards unfortunately, can't be done.

"At least we tried"
[touches earpiece]
"I'm being told that we definitely did not try. Please don't put in the newspaper that we tried"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We tell people about grapefruit quite a lot and it's always in the little leaflet things. Almost nobody reads those, and then you get someone who did and is in a spiral of anxiety because the leaflet says they might get a headache. It's understandable but boy, nobody ever worries about things an appropriate amount. I know I don't.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone who can run faster than me is definitely a man and should be banned from the Olympics. Send the gold medal over now.

Wish I could find a link to that comment some TERFs made a few months ago saying any woman over 5ft 5in is a man and should be banned from the women's bogs.

But then there was the comment on Twitter about how any woman under 5ft 3in was basically a child and the man going out with her was just a pedophile.

Life is so unfair for woman. Be too tall and you are kicked out of the women club. Be too short and suddenly you are only dating nonces.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

UKMT Summer 2022 - Batshit and the Billionaire

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Tomberforce posted:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
"Quick, Robin... to the batshitcave!"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Convex posted:

"Quick, Robin... to the batshitcave!"

That's most caves tbf

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tomberforce posted:

It was part of the wave of procedurals in the 70's. Two MP's who solve crimes in their spare times.
I honestly preferred "Power Wash and Chill" more. (That was about two people who power washed peoples gardens, while also solving crimes.)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

We tell people about grapefruit quite a lot and it's always in the little leaflet things. Almost nobody reads those, and then you get someone who did and is in a spiral of anxiety because the leaflet says they might get a headache. It's understandable but boy, nobody ever worries about things an appropriate amount. I know I don't.

No need to worry about it until you turn yellow or start spontaneously haemorrhaging out of every orifice.

Thank god for e-prescribing and automatic interaction checking imo.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tomberforce posted:

Batshit and the Billionaire
Batshit and the Billionaire
One is a genius*
The other's insane

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009