Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So I heard on the radio that Watson or his lawyer said that they’re gonna sue the NFL if he’s suspended for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I heard on the radio that Watson or his lawyer said that they’re gonna sue the NFL if he’s suspended for a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKdJ6DnPhzk

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ask Brady how well that works.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

That's not going to work. If you're in a union you can only use the formal grievance process collectively bargained by your union.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Ask Brady how well that works.

And now there’s precedent.

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/texans-darius-anderson-accused-burglary-17313399.php

Someone get this man a masseu......no don't :gonk:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Just lmao if he only gets this.
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1549365877094637568

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I know it's easy to find a bad picture of absolutely anyone, but damned if they didn't find one that makes it look like Watson has aged 15 years in the last year and a half.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Grittybeard posted:

I know it's easy to find a bad picture of absolutely anyone, but damned if they didn't find one that makes it look like Watson has aged 15 years in the last year and a half.

That’s what happens when you go to the Cleveland Browns

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If the Judge rules he should be punished then Goodell can unilaterally punish him with anything and does not need to take into account the judge’s recommendations at all. Conversely if the Judge rules that he cannot be punished then Goodell can’t do anything at all.

It’s a hilariously broken system seemingly designed to make everyone mad.

I would also like to point out that Florio has never not been downplaying Watson’s situation and the possible punishment he might face.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Deshaun gets two games, in game 3 we hear all about how he's had to overcome all these off field distractions with no specification of what they are

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
These "overcoming adversity" jokes seem based on a pretty dated conception of sports media. They're just going to not talk about it, just like they just barely even alluded about Roethlisberger's off field stuff.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
They definitely still do that stuff for the first several weeks. Then they start ignoring it because the issue has been dealt with sufficiently (whether it's been dealt with or not).

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Grittybeard posted:

They definitely still do that stuff for the first several weeks. Then they start ignoring it because the issue has been dealt with sufficiently (whether it's been dealt with or not).

Yeah, definitely. Maybe the guys covering a national game will keep quiet, but the regional coverage will say something like this sooner or later, especially if he's doing well.

How likely is it that the Browns radio team will be the first to do it?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Browns radio team will probably be told to not talk about it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If the Judge allows punishment I would bet money Goodell is gonna go for the full year.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If the Judge allows punishment I would bet money Goodell is gonna go for the full year.

Normally I'd agree, but if the judge, that the NFL and NFLPA collectively bargained for, issues a 2-game sussy, do you think Roger is going to go over her helmet and completely blow up her first actual ruling?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If it's two games? Probably

Imagine the optics of giving Brady more games for doing something not a single fan in the world would care about if it weren't Brady who had done it

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Normally I'd agree, but if the judge, that the NFL and NFLPA collectively bargained for, issues a 2-game sussy, do you think Roger is going to go over her helmet and completely blow up her first actual ruling?

Yes because the league owners, through their handpuppet Goodell, doesn’t care about this beyond the PR fallout and that would be a PR disaster. Also they likely all want Haslem to suffer.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If Deshaun gets 2 games that's less than a quarter per three women he sexually assaulted

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Intruder posted:

If Deshaun gets 2 games that's less than a quarter per three women he sexually assaulted

If he gets two games it will be an amplified version of the Ray Rice issue. Watson hoping for two games would be weird because I think it would just make him even more of a target for the league (after a month of bad press)

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Roger Goodell thinks he's Judge Dredd, so yes I think he would.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Roger Goodell thinks he's Judge Dredd, so yes I think he would.

You do have a fair point.

Also, if the judge issues NO suspension, then the league can't appeal that to Roger and the issue is "done," if I understand correctly. The PR fallout from that would be wild.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
back in the day i would have photoshopped it on a picture of roger but now i just type it into a prompt and my shitpost is autogenerated

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I want him to get suspended for 2 years just because it's such BS the way that contract is structured. Also because screw the Browns for their complacency in all this and someone should definitely punish the Texans too. The idea that someone in the org would make and hand Watson an NDA but "Oh the owners didn't know any of this was going on" is such a bold faced lie that shouldn't be accepted by anyone as truth.

I believe the league is going to go for 6/8 game range, but claim that they were being lenient because he didn't play last season. Or that last season counts as part of the suspension.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Dumb take I heard today on local(Cleveland) radio: Watson was already suspended a year so anything less than that should be time served. Yes, people called in trying to explain he was already sitting out last year for his own reasons before this poo poo came out, but they'd dump the callers to just say "Well what do you call it when a guy doesn't play for a year?"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

4 games i think. they might do 6 and be very proud of coming down harshly

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

Dumb take I heard today on local(Cleveland) radio: Watson was already suspended a year so anything less than that should be time served. Yes, people called in trying to explain he was already sitting out last year for his own reasons before this poo poo came out, but they'd dump the callers to just say "Well what do you call it when a guy doesn't play for a year?"

Ok. Three years with time served then.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Are they really letting Watson report to training camp? I thought for sure they'd hand something down over the weekend.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Artonos posted:

Are they really letting Watson report to training camp? I thought for sure they'd hand something down over the weekend.

The NFL has honestly handled this even worse than I expected and I didn’t expect much.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Artonos posted:

:lol: they aren't going to do poo poo to him.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The most stone cold amazing outcome would be to let him take all the first team reps for the next month and then ban him for a year on the eve of the regular season.

So yeah they aren’t going to do anything

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is good to get another reminder that the NFL is run by complete monsters.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I mean the NFL does have to wait for the judge to say something first.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Hunt11 posted:

It is good to get another reminder that the NFL is run by complete monsters.

I wouldn't say they're monsters, I'd just say they're driven by motives often incompatible with human empathy.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

You do not, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to them.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Isn't it normal for even suspended players to still be eligible for Camp/Preseason? I swear I remember players facing suspension or already suspended still going through all the normal camp and preseason games.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

syzpid posted:

Isn't it normal for even suspended players to still be eligible for Camp/Preseason? I swear I remember players facing suspension or already suspended still going through all the normal camp and preseason games.

This is true.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Having gone through a process that's in the CBA I don't think the NFL actually can do anything until after the judge rules anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ballsack Sports on the case again!

https://twitter.com/ronbillmery/status/1552279804392751104