Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Any word when the new Contemptor model is coming out?

I'd expect stuff that's in the Big Box to be some of the last things available separately to push people towards the bigger purchase - wouldn't be surprised if it's after the Leviathan, Sicaran, and Predator tanks have come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Randalor posted:

I honestly keep getting the Iron Hands confused with the Iron Warriors. They're both Legions that have Iron names, they both focus on machines over people and becoming machines, except that Perterabo at least has his "gently caress you dad, I'm an athiest" aspect and the Iron Warriors have biomechanical horror as their design aspect.

Iron Hands are cyborg horrors but they only get interesting in the 41st millennium

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Broken Record Talk posted:

Yeah, it's unfortunate, some of the better FW HH sculpts, in terms of design, are also some of the older ones, meaning that they're absolutely dwarfed by the modern plastics.

My FW SoH Reavers are like 75% of the mass of the new MkVI, and it bugs the poo poo out of me.

I'm looking forward to putting Dark Furies on some tall rocks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nancy posted:

Don't want to play as them, but it'd be cool to see someone do traitor Iron Hands with that sick eye everywhere.

I really want to get some Eye of Vigilance decals one day

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

Ooh poo poo those are going to look rad with decorative strips of flesh.

I'm really enjoying playing with the Mk6 armor.

So far I've added a few to my Kakophoni (using AoS, FW, and CSM bits) and the focal point of the weapon visually drowns out the size difference.

I'm hesitant about using them as a base for Palatine Blades, though - they're very plain which makes them a good fit for conversion but going ornate may take more converting than they're worth.

The old FW palatines are REALLY drat short, too.

You can very easily graft a fancy torso front to them. The sanguinary guard torsos work great and there are a ton in the secondary market for some reason.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Z the IVth posted:

You can very easily graft a fancy torso front to them. The sanguinary guard torsos work great and there are a ton in the secondary market for some reason.

Sanguinary Guard breaks down for parts easily. Lots of people want the fancy backpacks with the wings, and they have a variety of decorative weapon options also useful for kitbashing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Thanks, it never even occurred to me to swap the front - guess I'm still adjusting to the attached legs.

And sanguinary guard look perfect for Heresy EC! Big Sigvald the Magnificent energy there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Same, but I'm enjoying the Night Lords transition.

I mean they're also pretty close to the Crimson Fists colour scheme, right down to having literal crimson fists in some cases...

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
40k army idea: Crimson Fists who are clearly Night Lords taking the piss.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

:siren::siren::siren: IMPORTANT THREAD ANNOUNCEMENT :siren::siren::siren:

The Pacific Northwest, home of the finest Heresy players on the planet, will play host to a 2v2 battle featuring me and forums poster Bulbasaur facing off against posting losers Hixson and Stanyer89.

This grudge match is a follow up to a shouting mad game we had a few weeks ago, where we C L O B B E R E D those dweebs 10-2.

This time around, in honor of the ancient Roman tradition, the losers will face
code:
P U B L I C H U M I L I A T I O N
as the victorious side will force them to go under the yoke. This game, and the
code:
D E V A S T A T I N G P U N I S H M E N T
will be live streamed this evening, enshrining this crushing embarrassment for all time.

Settle in, get shithoused, and watch two people crawl on their bellies like slugs for your amusement. Whomever loses, you win! Tonight!

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean they're also pretty close to the Crimson Fists colour scheme, right down to having literal crimson fists in some cases...

Exact reason I decided to go with a Night Lords army! I just can't decide if I should add Rogue Trader era armor graffiti or not.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I just can't decide if I should add Rogue Trader era armor graffiti or not.

How is this even a question?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The armor graffiti is cool, it's Aliens Colonial Marines taken to the max. If you can pull it off, go for it.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Cessna posted:

How is this even a question?

JcDent posted:

The armor graffiti is cool, it's Aliens Colonial Marines taken to the max. If you can pull it off, go for it.

Then I need you guys to come up with terrible puns and really short jokes relating to the Night Lords. I mean DIE slowish is great but so far the only Night lords related graffiti I came up with is "NIGHT SHIFT"

Edit: Also "For SKIN!"

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 22, 2022

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Then I need you guys to come up with terrible puns and really short jokes relating to the Night Lords. I mean DIE slowish is great but so far the only Night lords related graffiti I came up with is "NIGHT SHIFT"

Edit: Also "For SKIN!"

There's the evergreen "kil kil kil"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

At minimum, FLAYER written in the Slayer font. Maybe "STEAL YER FACE" if it's not too wordy.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Z the IVth posted:

There's the evergreen "kil kil kil"

Obligatory!

moths posted:

At minimum, FLAYER written in the Slayer font. Maybe "STEAL YER FACE" if it's not too wordy.

This is fantastic! Keep 'em coming!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

panascope posted:

:siren::siren::siren: IMPORTANT THREAD ANNOUNCEMENT :siren::siren::siren:

The Pacific Northwest, home of the finest Heresy players on the planet, will play host to a 2v2 battle featuring me and forums poster Bulbasaur facing off against posting losers Hixson and Stanyer89.

This grudge match is a follow up to a shouting mad game we had a few weeks ago, where we C L O B B E R E D those dweebs 10-2.

This time around, in honor of the ancient Roman tradition, the losers will face
code:
P U B L I C H U M I L I A T I O N
as the victorious side will force them to go under the yoke. This game, and the
code:
D E V A S T A T I N G P U N I S H M E N T
will be live streamed this evening, enshrining this crushing embarrassment for all time.

Settle in, get shithoused, and watch two people crawl on their bellies like slugs for your amusement. Whomever loses, you win! Tonight!

Will there be a link? Especially for those in other time zones?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
“RUN AWAY!!!” Needs to be written on the back of at least one Night Lord, since they are canonically cowards.

I’m also going to require at least one reference to Batman.

Broken Record Talk fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 22, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Asked a friend who's a lot better at this than me, suggested "NIGHT TERROR", "SWEET DREAMS", and while not on theme, stealing from that one Dark Angel picture with "HAVE A NICE DAY" on the gun casing.

Also, it may technically be 40K art, but now that I've gone through some old Warhammer stuff I need to figure out greenstuff so I can make this dude's helmet as a one-off Siege of Terra Night Lords model - could never paint him and do it justice, but trying to get better at the modeling side...

I actually briefly considered "let's do a Night Lords allied detachment", even painted a test model sans backpack that I have around here somewhere. Then the allies chart put a stop to that, lol.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 22, 2022

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I think it'd be fun to dig into 80s horror. LOST BOYS CREEPSHOW, FRIGHT NIGHT, etc

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Unfortunate Son
Inkurzion
Night Jaunter
Claw enforcement officer
Hang 1/10
Free Skin Checks!
Future Educator

Broken Record Talk posted:

“RUN AWAY!!!” Needs to be written on the back of at least one Night Lord, since they are canonically cowards.

I’m also going to require at least one reference to Batman.

Bruce Slayne?

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Eediot Jedi posted:

Unfortunate Son
Inkurzion
Night Jaunter
Claw enforcement officer
Hang 1/10
Free Skin Checks!
Future Educator

Bruce Slayne?

Bruce Payne

Maaan I'm taking notes, fantastic stuff guys.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Midnight Lad
Flay em All!
Pain Train
Welcome to Murdertown
Bathe in Blood
Terror!
Ride the Lightning!
Smile! (preferably on a Bolter)

This is way too fun

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Bruce Payne

Maaan I'm taking notes, fantastic stuff guys.

Noice

Emperor's Lil Angel (love heart)
#1 Dad
Knifed to meat you
Konrad's in arms
Dishonors Student
Caliban Reject
Taxidermy: inquires welcome
Sic semper tyrannis
Sic Emperor tyrannis

E: if you're ok with going full meta, 5 Star Yelp Reviews!

2nd e: oh god stop squatting in my brain I have things to do
Trickle Down Economics
Charity starts at your home
And now, for the leather forecast
Everybody's Gangsta
I'm Loyal, I Think
Istvaan Tourism Dept.
Darkness, my old friend
Kindergarten Cop
Healthy discourse
Freedom of expression
Artist at work
... And I turned out fine!
For your own good
Sunny disposition
Slight chance of rain
N. Bates
P. Bateman
What, no tip?
Ethically sourced materials
Best before: 30M
Teachable moment

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 22, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Horror Student
Have a Knife Day
1B SEVERED
CURZE MISSILE
Art of Darkness
Skin Artist

Anyway, here's three of those Mk6 Kakophoni, which actually take the 40k Noise Marines weapons pretty well. It helps since they're supposed to be armed with an eclectic assortment of instruments - but there's only one FW sculpt.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

moths posted:

The old FW palatines are REALLY drat short, too.

Palatine Blades aren't short?

They're taller than Mk 3 marines

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

E: I'm blind
E2: no I'm not, they had old short kits after all

For thread content, and to not double post, found a picture of that NL test model. I used to be able to paint somewhat competently, at least.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 23, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I don't understand what's happening because I have the short ones and they look like the same ones that on the FW site. (Inexplicably still on 25mm bases.)

Did you put some spacers in there or something?

E: Wait did you give that MkIII chibi legs?

moths fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 23, 2022

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Nope, he's straight out of the box from FW, no modifications aside from just giving him the Phoenix Spear, also from FW.

This is weirding me out too

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That looks like the unit champion - maybe he's bigger? I'll post a comparison when I get back home Sunday.

This is super strange. The one I built was short and about as wide as he is tall, so I started converting them from other kits.

Endman
May 18, 2010

The basic dudes are definitely shorter than the champion, mostly due to their dynamic posing, but they're still a touch taller than Mk 3.

I don't have any Mk 6 to compare them to unfortunately, but I imagine they're slightly shorter.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

that at least confirms my impulse to bash together plastic versions of the EC special dudes, maybe not a massive difference but was thinking I'd use mostly MKVI and plague marine bodies for some MKIII characters and it'd make a weird size gradient

Nancy posted:

Don't want to play as them, but it'd be cool to see someone do traitor Iron Hands with that sick eye everywhere.

i've excellent news for you re: my thoughts for an allied detachment

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Assessor of Maat posted:

that at least confirms my impulse to bash together plastic versions of the EC special dudes, maybe not a massive difference but was thinking I'd use mostly MKVI and plague marine bodies for some MKIII characters and it'd make a weird size gradient

i've excellent news for you re: my thoughts for an allied detachment
I mean, Marines, like people, do have variation in height, and having the characters be a bit taller doesn't seem like it'd be that big a problem (as opposed to the reverse). It's mostly down to the posing.

And kitbashing is cool and good, one of the good things about Thousand Sons is they have a rich vein of 40k bits you can mix into your HH. I've been using the Rubric kit to make Sergeants and Consuls. And stright up substituting Scarab Termies as Sekhmet.

Also if you're running EC, you also have the option of the Salamanders as an allied detachment if you want some different loyalist chums down the line since they're also SB.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, Marines, like people, do have variation in height, and having the characters be a bit taller doesn't seem like it'd be that big a problem (as opposed to the reverse). It's mostly down to the posing.

And kitbashing is cool and good, one of the good things about Thousand Sons is they have a rich vein of 40k bits you can mix into your HH. I've been using the Rubric kit to make Sergeants and Consuls. And stright up substituting Scarab Termies as Sekhmet.

Also if you're running EC, you also have the option of the Salamanders as an allied detachment if you want some different loyalist chums down the line since they're also SB.

I'd be ambivalent if it was just the height, there's a point where the gap between the different proportions and bulk of the armour starts looking like humans in power armour on the lower end more than marines to my eye. purely a matter of aesthetic preference though

agreed on Thousand Sons, very nice variety of options available for modelling them

may end up doing some Salamanders down the line, part of what prompted wanting traitor IH is there's an obvious (to me anyway) hook for becoming EC-aligned traitors in taking a few more steps in their self hatred and deciding Fulgrim did them a favour by killing Manus - so landing on modifying to go above and beyond, vs. the loyalist's suppression of perceived weakness - and I'm kind of coming up blank for an angle I'd like for traitor Salamanders

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Read the fluff for their traitor WT, go from there.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've been wracking my brain, but the only Night Lords graffiti that I can come up with that hasn't already been said is "Your face here" and "Organ Grinder". Apologies if someone else said those already and I just overlooked them.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Sick Transit on a Rhino.

Rule question: wait, does the DG special rule allow my Tacticals to move and fury?

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

JcDent posted:

Read the fluff for their traitor WT, go from there.

sadly it's "really enthusiastic about burning things, but for the new boss" and doesn't evoke much of anything. the traitor ultramarine trait has more personality!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Assessor of Maat posted:

sadly it's "really enthusiastic about burning things, but for the new boss" and doesn't evoke much of anything. the traitor ultramarine trait has more personality!

I mean, given most people thought Vulkan also died on Istvaan V, you could have some guys who didn't get on board with the 'Vulkan Lives' movement and were just loving broken by the thought they lost their Primarch.