Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I bought something like 40 or 50 discs a few months after I started but then dropped down to 12 for my first full year. Think my staples were Aviar, Leopard, Buzzz, and the River. I really should buy more Rivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Muir posted:

I got into disc golf a few months ago, and as I usually do with new hobbies I went down the gear rabbit hole too fast. I've taken a step back now and dialed my number of discs way down in accordance with some old advice on DGCourseReview, and boy am I learning a lot more by just focusing on a few discs. The advice is to start with just:

I've got an Axiom Envy, a Latitude 64 Fuse, an Axiom Crave, and an MVP Terra.

I'm also discovering how much I like MVP/Axiom discs, as opposed to the mostly Latitude 64 I had been using before.

Anyone else dive in too deep at first and then dial it back to really learn how to throw?

For sure. I've at least managed to stop buying discs. I am focusing on luna, berg, buzzz, paradox, and a rotating selection of fairways. Lately I've had the best luck with escape and felon. Anyone got any feedback on that starter set (8 months in)?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I've bought maybe a dozen, and most of them were used

Found a few

Lost a few

Signed the only one I got a hole in one on

Lost it

I'm not sober enough for pro discin

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have 35ish or so discs picked up over the last year of playing. I might have paid full retail for ~10 of them. Picked most of them up used from credit acquired getting rid of other outdoor stuff out of my garage.

For the most part when I play a round I grab a driver, mid & putter and just focus on those (or 2 each if I'm by myself). When I played Pier Park last week I could have just gone w/ a driver & putter as I barely threw my mid.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Muir posted:

I've got an Axiom Envy, a Latitude 64 Fuse, an Axiom Crave, and an MVP Terra.

The fuse is so sick. I think L64/DD/Westside have my favorite plastics. Fuzion plastic in particular is great.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

cage-free egghead posted:

I bought something like 40 or 50 discs a few months after I started but then dropped down to 12 for my first full year. Think my staples were Aviar, Leopard, Buzzz, and the River. I really should buy more Rivers.

Yeah, that sounds like what will be my trajectory. I'm probably at about 40 to 50 but looking to downsize heavily now. I'm making several starter set bags for some friends to get rid of a lot of them, and then I'll probably try to sell the others. Glad I'm not alone!

Salt Fish posted:

The fuse is so sick. I think L64/DD/Westside have my favorite plastics. Fuzion plastic in particular is great.

I do still love the Trilogy plastic too, but there's something about the MVP discs that I like even more. But the Fuse will always have a place with me, as will the new Royal discs, and a few others probably (Pure and Maiden, River, maybe Sword).

Muir fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 19, 2022

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Bought some Thoughtspace discs for the art, but then I threw them and now they’re my favorites

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Westside BT soft and Axiom Neutron plastic...just feels right ya know?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I live and play at sea level but will be going on a trip to around 5800’ and planning to play some disc golf while I’m up there. I’m deciding what to pack. I’ve heard that discs fly more overstable at higher elevation, but is there something more quantifiable anyone can tell me? Should I expect them to fly with less turn, more fade, both? Like 1 flight number different, more, less?

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

NickRoweFillea posted:

Bought some Thoughtspace discs for the art, but then I threw them and now they’re my favorites

Mine too - now that I've filled out my bag, I pretty much only look at sweet stamps from TSA because I know I love the plastic and how they fly.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gently caress y'all, I was all set to be done buying discs

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

highme posted:

gently caress y'all, I was all set to be done buying discs

Said no one, ever :getin:

Bootloafus
Apr 5, 2009

giblet gravy

Muir posted:

I live and play at sea level but will be going on a trip to around 5800’ and planning to play some disc golf while I’m up there. I’m deciding what to pack. I’ve heard that discs fly more overstable at higher elevation, but is there something more quantifiable anyone can tell me? Should I expect them to fly with less turn, more fade, both? Like 1 flight number different, more, less?

Sea level to 5800' could be pretty drastic depending on what type of shots you like to throw. There will be less glide, less turn, more fade. If you're a low arm speed player it will be even more pronounced. Throw in a couple extra of your most understable high glide discs and throw a little before your round.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Bitchin Backyard Basket Bros

time to get less bad at putting

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Bootloafus posted:

Sea level to 5800' could be pretty drastic depending on what type of shots you like to throw. There will be less glide, less turn, more fade. If you're a low arm speed player it will be even more pronounced. Throw in a couple extra of your most understable high glide discs and throw a little before your round.

Just how understable are we talking? Like on a scale from
  • Latitude 64 Fuse (5 / 6 / -1 / 0)
  • MVP Uplink (5 / 5 / -3 / 0.5) or Discraft Sol (4 / 5 / -3 / 0)
  • Axiom Paradox (5 / 4 / -4 / 0)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/DoomsdayDG/status/1549873584624902145

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nikko Locastro being an embarrassing punkass clown today, jfc gently caress that guy.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Johnny Truant posted:

Nikko Locastro being an embarrassing punkass clown today, jfc gently caress that guy.

Congratulations to Nikko Locastro on his LIV contract

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Anybody have a recommendation for custom print jobs on a disc? My best friend of two decades (and the guy who got me into this hobby) is moving up north and I want to get him a disc with our picture on it as a forget-me-not.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

At least the Europeans had the guts to do something about it. If this were in the US I doubt the TD would’ve done anything. Glad to see him finally face some consequences for being so lovely for so long.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
Turns out that the tournament official that Locastro tried to intimidate wasn't some volunteer, but the PDGA EuroTour Manager. Whoops!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Have they announced a punishment or anything yet? I only saw it on the PDGA Rodman Instagram account, lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Johnny Truant posted:

Have they announced a punishment or anything yet? I only saw it on the PDGA Rodman Instagram account, lol

PDGA has a disciplinary board that'll meet about it. Probably 12-24 month ban is a internet-guess

https://twitter.com/GatekeeperMedia/status/1550556283190779905

Bootloafus
Apr 5, 2009

giblet gravy

Muir posted:

Just how understable are we talking? Like on a scale from
  • Latitude 64 Fuse (5 / 6 / -1 / 0)
  • MVP Uplink (5 / 5 / -3 / 0.5) or Discraft Sol (4 / 5 / -3 / 0)
  • Axiom Paradox (5 / 4 / -4 / 0)

With the caveat that it won't be as noticable on lower speed discs (because they're easier to over power) If it were me I'd be probably throw the paradox and fuse in my bag and call it good.

As an example for me going from 800' to 7500' feet on family vacations, my beat leopard3 goes from a hyzerflip turnover disc to flying like a new one (so straight with a slight fade finish).

Ultimately it's not a huge deal and you'll probably just lean on your more broken in stable to understable discs more than usual, but having some extras is nice.

Bootloafus fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 23, 2022

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for custom print jobs on a disc? My best friend of two decades (and the guy who got me into this hobby) is moving up north and I want to get him a disc with our picture on it as a forget-me-not.

For just one you'll probably want someone to make a stencil and die it or you can do a Dyemax disc from Dynamic Discs. The latter is a full color print of whatever on a a disc. I think they're 30 ish bucks and disc choice varies.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Bootloafus posted:

With the caveat that it won't be as noticable on lower speed discs (because they're easier to over power) If it were me I'd be probably throw the paradox and fuse in my bag and call it good.

As an example for me going from 800' to 7500' feet on family vacations, my beat leopard3 goes from a hyzerflip turnover disc to flying like a new one (so straight with a slight fade finish).

Ultimately it's not a huge deal and you'll probably just lean on your more broken in stable to understable discs more than usual, but having some extras is nice.

Awesome, thanks! It’s a little more complicated because I’m trying to build basic starter bags for two friends who will also be with me, from the other discs I have around. This is very helpful.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

PDGA has a disciplinary board that'll meet about it. Probably 12-24 month ban is a internet-guess

Good, make his garbage rear end just be forgotten and irrelevant. He was instantly suspended from his Gateway contract, so that's another win.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I got star plastic destroyer after watching that Doth Savek video and it's a completely different disc than the champion destroyer. The TLDR on that video is that different plastics cool at different rates, and the factory conditions have an effect as well. Destroyers vary from understable to meat-hook impossibly stable because they have different amount of meltyness to their rim which is trivial to measure and feel.

I went out and threw this new destroyer and its understable to straight. It's an incredible disc. I had a nice windy day so I also threw my firebirds and the same thing applies to them. The star plastic one is a glidey straight disc that always finishes hyzer, but the champion one just hyzers out the whole way and sucks. I can tell just looking at these two firebirds that they have different angles on the rim. I checked 2 bosses, same thing. I think this is probably common to every vtech shape rim with a compound angle to the wing. It explains the common wisdom that clear/premium plastics are more stable. They cool off faster.

My idea to take this even further is to use a thermal imaging camera (I don't have one) to prove that the plastics cool differently and then ultimately the goal would be to find out how to bake a disc in the oven (what orientation, what temp, how long) to convert a stable destroyer into a flippy destroyer.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
You can't really change the shape of already molded plastic like that, it'll bend but not move material around. The factory would need to put in the effort to get them to come out consistently, but they probably don't have the motivation unless sales are getting impacted.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Got my first ever birdie today at Seven Oaks today! Hole six, I threw a Thought Space Mantra with a perfect fade through the tree cover and had it drop ten feet from the pin. I’ve never been so nervous about a putt. Lol

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

Johnny Truant posted:

Good, make his garbage rear end just be forgotten and irrelevant. He was instantly suspended from his Gateway contract, so that's another win.

Pretty telling that even Gateway has disciplined the guy, his uncle either runs or is very high up in the company so he's always had that lifeline.

Makes me wonder what he did to be so unceremoniously dropped by Westside last year.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Henron posted:

Pretty telling that even Gateway has disciplined the guy, his uncle either runs or is very high up in the company so he's always had that lifeline.

Makes me wonder what he did to be so unceremoniously dropped by Westside last year.

Lol yup. Apparently he has a history of disregarding the clock, but there's gotta be more.

Really hope Kat dumps his rear end so that creepy relationship (on his end) can stop living rent free in my head :aaaaa:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Played on a ski hill this week and threw a terrible shot that just kept turning and went down the skihill a good ways before I couldn't see it anymore in the trees. Didn't even bother looking for it because we had just got done climbing a good ways.

Also had this absolute crush with an Avenger SS downhill:

The flight almost followed that darkened trail. Threw it nose down hard towards the left side on a pretty good hyzer angle. Thought for sure it was done flipping when it got to flat and was going to go OB left but it picked up enough speed to flip even more to anny and then flat once I got pin high. The basket was about 150ft below where my lie was.

Bootloafus
Apr 5, 2009

giblet gravy

Johnny Truant posted:

Lol yup. Apparently he has a history of disregarding the clock, but there's gotta be more.

Nikko has been an unrepentant poo poo slinging rage goblin as long as he's been in disc golf. My first time spectating a pro event was the 2008 KC Wide Open when it was an NT and saw him repeatedly throw fits way out of proportion to anything going on. He was maybe 18 or 19 then and has never grown up.

I've had a few other encounters with him from a distance over the years and he's never left a positive impression. All his antivax crystal bullshit since then is just icing on the turd cake.

Bootloafus fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 28, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bootloafus posted:

Nikko has been an unrepentant poo poo slinging rage goblin as long as he's been in disc golf. My first time spectating a pro event was the 2008 KC Wide Open when it was an NT and saw him repeatedly throw fits way out of proportion to anything going on. He was maybe 18 or 19 then and has never grown up.

I've had a few other encounters with him from a distance over the years and he's never left a positive impression. All his antivax crystal bullshit since then is just icing on the turd cake.

Oh he's an antivaxxer too? :barf:

Really hope he gets suspended for 24 months then just fades into obscurity.

Anyway, I've been taking it easy cause my old man youthful and muscular back has been really sore recently, but I think I've figured out the cards and best ways to desk with it so let's gooooooo League night tonight :getin:

P sure my projections are gonna be wonky cause they recorded me last week at -10 compared to my actual score, lmfao

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Anyone want to trade some discs? I'm looking for:

kc pro aviars - all conditions
jk pro aviars - all conditions
cryztal fierces
z wasps
premium plastic leopards, valks, tbird3s, shykes, firebirds
kc rocs

I'm looking to get rid of:
2 champion wraiths, basically brand new, 171g no ink on them
1 pro wraith just barely used, hasn't hit any trees, but thrown in the field, 173g no ink
champion aviar P&A (beadless) 173g - this one is like 8/10 condition, not a lot of wear but its 12 years old, has the weight written on the back in sharpie
Ohn Scoggins tour series leopard3 173g - basically new but my pdga number is written on the back
champion leopard3 170-175ish (ink is gone)- basically new but has been thrown a few dozen times no ink on it
Pro starfire - basically new, 175 gram, no ink on it, tested in a field about 20 throws no trees
r-pro wahoo - tested this one in a field about 10 throws, otherwise new
drew gibson signature vengeance 174g - still has the little sticker on the rim, but I've thrown in about 5 times at the field

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Anyone want to trade some discs? I'm looking for:

so many cool disc

Would've loved to try a Innova fairway driver this year (retooling the bag) but I left a z wasp at the local course for others to play with.

No worries though. I've been enjoying this new Westside Stag VIP-X I got as a gift and it feels great in the hand. Just love to see it fly.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

What does it mean that I was filling out a form that needed my state bar number, and I automatically started entering my PDGA number instead?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I understand the Buzzz love now. It and the star Mako3 have got me respecting the midrange disc much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

buzzz is life. Paradox is the other mid I carry and it is also very good.