Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

That Old Tree posted:

So is the Boss Logic poster directly connected to WotC, or whatever studio is making the movie, or is it some semi-official third-party thing? I'm really unclear on this art thief's relationship to the actual license and business.

Don't know who particularly hired them, but it was just specifically for the dumb tavern event thing they held at SDCC. So it could be either SDCC/WotC/the Movie company.

Not a direct connection, other than them hiring an artist for something who ended up plagiarizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

That Old Tree posted:

So is the Boss Logic poster directly connected to WotC, or whatever studio is making the movie, or is it some semi-official third-party thing? I'm really unclear on this art thief's relationship to the actual license and business.

It was a contracted marketing... company? Person? Who was managing some kind of promotional event they had at SDCC.

It's not the official poster, so produced by neither the studio nor WotC.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1550213551096303616

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Jamey Stegmaier rushing to hire Boss Logic for the next Stonemayer game

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

"gently caress it, let's just make Monster Manual: The Movie"

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

At least now we have payoff for all the people confused why the marketing survey was asking about druids turning into owlbears being "acceptable".

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
:qqsay: but owlbears are monstrosities and not beasts.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They'll change Owlbears to (Monstrosity, but also Beast) in the 5.5e MM just to stop the whine.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Nah, they'll just sell a book with the subclasses for the movie characters, and the druid subclass will get to turn into monstrosities.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Leraika posted:

Nah, they'll just sell a book with the subclasses for the movie characters, and the druid subclass will get to turn into monstrosities.

Given that another question was about a bard who doesn't interact with music, you're probably right.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Kurieg posted:

https://twitter.com/BrainClouds/status/1549500278763929605

I think "YOU ARE SUDE AND YOU ARE DONE!!!!" is a candidate for a new thread title.

LAWERS ARE BEING CALLED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
nothing screams "I dont have a lawyer but I assume they are some kind of legal gun I can point at people and shoot them with" better than an explosive tantrum with your real name attached

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
This looks interesting:

Seems to be a warts-and-all history of TSR (and then WotC/Hasbro). Just came out this week, my local Barnes & Noble purportedly has copies in stock. Hmm.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

FMguru posted:

This looks interesting:

Seems to be a warts-and-all history of TSR (and then WotC/Hasbro). Just came out this week, my local Barnes & Noble purportedly has copies in stock. Hmm.

I mean, the actual description doesn't say anything about WotC/Hasbro. It's "the secret history of TSR". It seems like the difference between this and the other books about D&D's early history (Game Wizards, Of Dice and Men) is that he did try to dig up more stuff about the Lorraine period.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Unless Jeremy Irons is reprising his role as Profion I don't give a poo poo.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ferrinus posted:

Unless Jeremy Irons is reprising his role as Profion I don't give a poo poo.

Snails return was teased at the end of the first movie and he'd better be in this one or else.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Megazver posted:

They'll change Owlbears to (Monstrosity, but also Beast) in the 5.5e MM just to stop the whine.

Good, I've wanted to chat with an owlbear via talk with animals my whole playing career.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rick posted:

Good, I've wanted to chat with an owlbear via talk with animals my whole playing career.

"What the gently caress are you? Like, come on."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That Old Tree posted:

Snails return was teased at the end of the first movie and he'd better be in this one or else.

He wasn't in the made-for-TV sequel or the direct-to-DVD third movie, I doubt he's coming back.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Already fights are breaking out over the Tiefling because she doesn't look like one of the current Draenei-esque Tieflings but an earlier one. On the upside I'm sure it's much easier to do things with just like a tiny pair of horns on your head.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Bruceski posted:

He wasn't in the made-for-TV sequel or the direct-to-DVD third movie, I doubt he's coming back.

My favorite series of so-bad-they're-good movies right here. Shout out to the scene in the third movie where the main character kills a member of his (evil) adventuring party, stuffs the body into a Bag of Holding, and then flings it into the lake.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dexo posted:

:qqsay: but owlbears are monstrosities and not beasts.

https://twitter.com/epicdndmemes/status/1550447762776391681
The algorithm decided to throw this onto my feed.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Megazver posted:

I mean, the actual description doesn't say anything about WotC/Hasbro. It's "the secret history of TSR". It seems like the difference between this and the other books about D&D's early history (Game Wizards, Of Dice and Men) is that he did try to dig up more stuff about the Lorraine period.

Just listened to the KARTAS segment interviewing the author. Definitely focused on the Lorraine Williams era. Sounds really well researched with a lot of sales/business data that's never been public before.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

They'll fix all this, have we learned nothing from the tale of Human Teeth Sonic?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Megazver posted:

"What the gently caress are you? Like, come on."

Apropos of little, but my favorite explanation is someone pitching them as an Anti-lycanthrope biological weapon based purely on one line in a monster manual saying "People only buy and sell Owlbear eggs in silver"

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Already fights are breaking out over the Tiefling because she doesn't look like one of the current Draenei-esque Tieflings but an earlier one. On the upside I'm sure it's much easier to do things with just like a tiny pair of horns on your head.

Female, red hair, tail + horns is literally THE original iconic tiefling. The girl from Faces of Sigil and the one from Torment both have that exact look.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bruceski posted:

https://twitter.com/epicdndmemes/status/1550447762776391681
The algorithm decided to throw this onto my feed.

You absolute fool, Polymorph also only allows transformation into a beast! You'd need Shapechange to become an owlbear, and if you're wasting 9th level spell to turn into something as comparably weak as an owlbear, well thats a pretty incompetent druid

Piell fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 22, 2022

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Bruceski posted:

I said "or else" and I meant it!

GetDunked posted:

My favorite series of so-bad-they're-good movies right here. Shout out to the scene in the third movie where the main character kills a member of his (evil) adventuring party, stuffs the body into a Bag of Holding, and then flings it into the lake.

The second movie is a legitimately faithful attempt at translating D&D to movies, and it's loving boring as hell. The third one is pretty forgettable but at least it's kind of knowingly goofy. Also didn't the third one feature a pretty okay "paladin falls to evil" story?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have said before that the Dungeon Siege movies are better D&D movies than any of the D&D movies. They're not great movies, mind you, but if they'd been branded as D&D movies instead of Dungeon Siege, nobody would have thought that was an egregious departure. Well, except for the same people who think the actual D&D movies were egregious departures.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Leperflesh posted:

Dungeon Siege movies

Well that came as a surprise. I played Dungeon Siege back in the day, it was a decent game but the setting was incredibly bland.

Anyone want to guess the director/producer? Go on, guess.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
not googling this, but uwe probably

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Leraika posted:

not googling this, but uwe probably

If we're guessing stuff about the first Dungeon Siege movie, I fukken dare you too try to guess the star-studded cast list. loving wild.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

That Old Tree posted:

If we're guessing stuff about the first Dungeon Siege movie, I fukken dare you too try to guess the star-studded cast list. loving wild.

Ron Perlman I could have maybe expected after seeing him in Ice Pirates (great movie btw) and his other scifi/fantasy roles closer to Dungeon Siege.

The rest of these leads? Would not have even made my list of guesses.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the third one had a Blight Druid that took a moment in the movie to drop a totally baffling metaphor that then was later revealed to be a direct explanation of the bad guy's plot all along. it's great

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

That Old Tree posted:

The second movie is a legitimately faithful attempt at translating D&D to movies, and it's loving boring as hell. The third one is pretty forgettable but at least it's kind of knowingly goofy. Also didn't the third one feature a pretty okay "paladin falls to evil" story?

I think it was like a paladin falling to evil and then back to good again? Not sure, I was busy laughing my rear end off for most of it.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

That Old Tree posted:

I was actually shocked at some of the names. Incredible.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

That Old Tree posted:

I wanna say Jason Statham stars. And maybe Meatloaf is in it. Not sure though.

Edit: Geeze. I was wrong about Meatloaf, and missed like 8 big names.

I met Michael Eklund at a film fest once. He's in this, and a bunch of other Uwe Boll movies. I asked him about Boll. He said he loves working with him, his movies are always a lot of fun to make and Boll is really loyal to his regular actors. He calls Eklund and offers him a role in everything he makes, even if it's a small one.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 23, 2022

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Why would they make a Fell's Five movie without making it a Fell's Five movie. This is the actual travesty.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I strongly urge everyone to watch that film. It's not that it's a great work, of course, but I feel like it's an important entry in the general oeuvre.

The main characters name is "Farmer". That's his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Ron Perlman I could have maybe expected after seeing him in Ice Pirates (great movie btw) and his other scifi/fantasy roles closer to Dungeon Siege.

The rest of these leads? Would not have even made my list of guesses.

The thing about Uwe Boll movies of the era, if you were an actor of even middling fame, they were great to star in for the paycheck. Boll would get things wrapped up in a comparatively very short amount of time, and he was famous for treating his actors very well with - no doubt in part due to the fact that none of his movies were actually meant to make money but rather to take advantage of tax loopholes. Nobody expected them to be good so if you felt like phoning it in, who cares? If you had a month between projects and it happened to line up with a Boll project that he's asked you to sign on with, why wouldn't you? It's an easy, quick paycheck that you'd have a fun time doing.